Switch Theme:

Warhammer The Old World OT chat.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Araqiel






Isn't the bulk of the lead time on GW products designing and producing the miniatures?
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 lord_blackfang wrote:
Seems worth pointing out the first announcement was 3 years ago and they just appointed a guy this week to start tinking about what the game will be.


I don't think we can do more than speculate that this is what that appointment signifies (unless there's something in the wording of the article saying otherwise; I can't actually find where that was announced). For all we know he's been handling that for The Old World internally for a while but has only been formally added as part of his title because the game is 'nearer' completion. Or someone else was doing the role and responsibilities moved round. Or there wasn't a need for a specific product developer to be assigned to the game until this point and it's been sat with the design team. A Product Developer Manager isn't necessarily involved with the core design mechanics of a game or the miniatures involved (certainly not necessarily prior to the latter stages of development).

Not saying your take is wrong, more that we don't know how or even if this is significant in terms of the development cycle.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Richmond, VA

 lord_blackfang wrote:
Seems worth pointing out the first announcement was 3 years ago and they just appointed a guy this week to start tinking about what the game will be.

"Wait, the game needs to be about something?!?"
-GW Executives, probably
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





The thing I'm most interested to see is the scale of the upcoming minis. If they are roughly the same scale (25-28mm) I'll be really interested in the offering. If they are in the "anywhere from 30-45mm range" that AoS humans are in, I'll probably give them a pass unless they have some truly great chaos marauders, which I would get for nostalgia purposes, probably.

EDIT: Or Tileans, which I would definitely buy. However, my wallet can rest safely, as there is no way that they are gonna make Tileans. Not any time soon, at least.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/03 15:09:19


   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Carlovonsexron wrote:
The thing I'm most interested to see is the scale of the upcoming minis. If they are roughly the same scale (25-28mm) I'll be really interested in the offering. If they are in the "anywhere from 30-45mm range" that AoS humans are in, I'll probably give them a pass unless they have some truly great chaos marauders, which I would get for nostalgia purposes, probably.

EDIT: Or Tileans, which I would definitely buy. However, my wallet can rest safely, as there is no way that they are gonna make Tileans. Not any time soon, at least.


I'd just take a Made to Order run of the 90s Dogs of War range at this point.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Carlovonsexron wrote:
The thing I'm most interested to see is the scale of the upcoming minis. If they are roughly the same scale (25-28mm) I'll be really interested in the offering. If they are in the "anywhere from 30-45mm range" that AoS humans are in, I'll probably give them a pass unless they have some truly great chaos marauders, which I would get for nostalgia purposes, probably.

EDIT: Or Tileans, which I would definitely buy. However, my wallet can rest safely, as there is no way that they are gonna make Tileans. Not any time soon, at least.
Scale is the same as WHFB and AoS. Hell a good chunk of AoS minis are WHFB kits.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
The thing I'm most interested to see is the scale of the upcoming minis. If they are roughly the same scale (25-28mm) I'll be really interested in the offering. If they are in the "anywhere from 30-45mm range" that AoS humans are in, I'll probably give them a pass unless they have some truly great chaos marauders, which I would get for nostalgia purposes, probably.

EDIT: Or Tileans, which I would definitely buy. However, my wallet can rest safely, as there is no way that they are gonna make Tileans. Not any time soon, at least.
Scale is the same as WHFB and AoS. Hell a good chunk of AoS minis are WHFB kits.


Those aren't Age of Sigmar models, they are carry over warhammer models. Big difference

   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Nah, AoS humans are the same scale as WHFB was. People just like to compare roided out Chaos dudes, described as being immense compared to normal men, as if they are representative of the standard.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

And extra tall vampires

Print Hunter
Check out the latest 3D print model releases!  
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Nah, AoS humans are the same scale as WHFB was. People just like to compare roided out Chaos dudes, described as being immense compared to normal men, as if they are representative of the standard.


U..huh


Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in fi
5th God of Chaos (O'rly?)





Yep. Even tactical rock doesn't hide scale difference

2022 painted/bought: 681/867 
   
Made in us
Paramount Plague Censer Bearer





I hope they bring back fixed charge/run distances. I really liked those, and they sped the game up. Also minimal attacks, where the standard is one attack per model.

‘What Lorgar’s fanatics have not seen is that these gods are nothing compared to the power and the majesty of the Machine-God. Already, members of our growing cult are using the grace of the Omnissiah – the true Omnissiah, not Terra’s false prophet – to harness the might of the warp. Geller fields, warp missiles, void shields, all these things you are familiar with. But their underlying principles can be turned to so much more. Through novel exploitations of these technologies we will gain mastery first over the energies of the empyrean, then over the lesser entities, until finally the very gods themselves will bend the knee and recognise the supremacy of the Machine-God"
- Heretek Ardim Protos in Titandeath by Guy Haley 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Tampa,FL USA

 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
+Skaven!

14 factions to support!

Before they add Cathay and Kislev!


16, you missed Beastmen and Chaos Dwarves.


Edit: Yup, a count of army books + Tarmukhan confirms 16.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/04 12:31:07


You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Otiose in a Niche






Cairo, Egypt

 Platuan4th wrote:


16, you missed Beastmen and Chaos Dwarves.


Edit: Yup, a count of army books + Tarmukhan confirms 16.


I think Chaos Dwarves were well and truly dead long before 8th, I'd bet we see Codex Squats before we see the return of Chaos Dwarves.

Regardless the point is made, 15+ factions to be supported, I just don't see how this can work unless it's a launch box and some army books for your old armies. But GW hates selling rules if there's no model to sold as well!

But we're drifting off topic, so I started a new thread.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/807168.page#11439030

 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





 lord_blackfang wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Nah, AoS humans are the same scale as WHFB was. People just like to compare roided out Chaos dudes, described as being immense compared to normal men, as if they are representative of the standard.


U..huh



Thank you very, very much.

For what ever reason, people (not just NinthMusketeer) keep insisiting that the scale hasnt changed because older models are still included, and the size of stormcast and chaos warriors was an aberration. But they aren't- they are the new normal, and I'm not so keen on it. Don't get me wrong, they are magnificent, skillfully made models, and the designs are lovely, even if there are some i don't like.

But I don't want 35-45mm toy soldiers, I want 25/28mm.

Edit: which is why I'm interested in what scale the oldworld will be in, as I'm not really tempted by most AoS stuff anymore for he scale reason.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/04 14:32:25


   
Made in us
Haughty Harad Serpent Rider





Richmond, VA

I for one prefer the proper scaling AOS models have - closer to an actual model scale of 1/48, versus the "28mm/32mm" not-a-scale sizing that WHFB was with giant melonheads and hamfists (note even in that screenshot the taller AOS models have the same head/hand sizes with the addition of actual waists).

"True" 28mm sizing such as MESBG and Perry Miniatures (like 1/60 to 1/56 scale) are and have always been significantly better looking that WHFB (and I say this as a person who has something like 180 meatball head skeletons in my Tomb Kings army)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/10/04 14:45:12


"...and special thanks to Judgedoug!" - Alessio Cavatore "Now you've gone too far Doug! ... Too far... " - Rick Priestley "I've decided that I'd rather not have you as a member of TMP." - Editor, The Miniatures Page "I'd rather put my testicles through a mangle than spend any time gaming with you." - Richard, TooFatLardies "We need a Doug Craig in every store." - Warlord Games "Thank you for being here, Judge Doug!" - Adam Troke 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block





I would agree that the larger scale might be better looking, but it will make ranking on 2omm bases even harder and while they look good by themselves it looks horrible when mixed with models at the older scale.

I'd rather GW stay consistant at 28mm for the old world so the new models don't look weird next to the old ones.
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





 judgedoug wrote:

"True" 28mm sizing such as MESBG and Perry Miniatures (like 1/60 to 1/56 scale) are and have always been significantly better looking that WHFB (and I say this as a person who has something like 180 meatball head skeletons in my Tomb Kings army)


I VERY much agree with this, but I have learned to never hope for miracles from GW

   
Made in us
Haughty Harad Serpent Rider





Richmond, VA

Grail Seeker wrote:
I would agree that the larger scale might be better looking, but it will make ranking on 2omm bases even harder and while they look good by themselves it looks horrible when mixed with models at the older scale.

I'd rather GW stay consistant at 28mm for the old world so the new models don't look weird next to the old ones.


Oh, yeah I'm not arguing that it change to an actual model scale, and it won't. Andy Hoare has already said it'll stay with GW's weird sizing. The actual issue is that of the core mechanics of WHFB, but I doubt they'll get rid of individual casualty removal

"...and special thanks to Judgedoug!" - Alessio Cavatore "Now you've gone too far Doug! ... Too far... " - Rick Priestley "I've decided that I'd rather not have you as a member of TMP." - Editor, The Miniatures Page "I'd rather put my testicles through a mangle than spend any time gaming with you." - Richard, TooFatLardies "We need a Doug Craig in every store." - Warlord Games "Thank you for being here, Judge Doug!" - Adam Troke 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Overread wrote:
And extra tall vampires


...with bats in the hair.
   
Made in at
Discriminating Warrior





Austria

 Kid_Kyoto wrote:

I think Chaos Dwarves were well and truly dead long before 8th.
CD were released by Forgeworld during 8th and allowed in tournaments/events, so yes they count

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Tampa,FL USA

 kodos wrote:
 Kid_Kyoto wrote:

I think Chaos Dwarves were well and truly dead long before 8th.
CD were released by Forgeworld during 8th and allowed in tournaments/events, so yes they count


Yup, Legion of Azhorg from the Tamurkhan book.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Thicker base, hero, tactical rock, compared to cherry picked peasants. That image tells the whole story of the "scale creep" myth alright.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Thicker base, hero, tactical rock, compared to cherry picked peasants. That image tells the whole story of the "scale creep" myth alright.


An alternative explanation could be poor picture comprehension and a bit of no true Scotsman

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle








Marauder to marauder, human to human, same base, no tactical rocks. (As noted in image description the AoS ones are shorter due to pose/hat not a reduced scale.)


Automatically Appended Next Post:

Here's comparing the two normal AoS humans to a bloodreaver. Note how even within the context of only AoS releases how fething big those guys are; they are not at all meant to be normal human size. This is what leads to the "scale creep" myth; misinformed comparisons of base humans to minis which are very much not.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
Nah, AoS humans are the same scale as WHFB was. People just like to compare roided out Chaos dudes, described as being immense compared to normal men, as if they are representative of the standard.


U..huh



Thank you very, very much.

For what ever reason, people (not just NinthMusketeer) keep insisiting that the scale hasnt changed because older models are still included, and the size of stormcast and chaos warriors was an aberration.
"What ever reason" shown above.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2022/10/04 20:21:43


Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in pl
Fresh-Faced New User




 NinthMusketeer wrote:


Here's comparing the two normal AoS humans to a bloodreaver. Note how even within the context of only AoS releases how fething big those guys are; they are not at all meant to be normal human size. This is what leads to the "scale creep" myth; misinformed comparisons of base humans to minis which are very much not.


They're basically the same size my man, the difference in their height is bordering on negligible.

And as a counter point to the argument, I present a comparasion of the new Lumineth Spearmen to the old High Elf Spearman. Rather clearly one can notice, that one is noticeably bigger, nearly a head taller whilst not standing up straight, and significantly bulkier.
[Thumb - 1095230B-A22B-4D6E-A22F-39312D487A3C.jpeg.9d180f84556e061e3d88d3cf89e7bb86.jpeg]

   
Made in fi
Dakka Veteran





Cursed City heroes, Bloodreavers and Kairic Acolytes are taller than average Warcry humans. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on them. We don't know the intended scale of AoS humans until the first human army is released next year.

I expect Old World models to be better proportioned than WHFB models. If this means that they are slightly taller than old models, I can live with it.

That place is the harsh dark future far left with only war left. 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







Cool story with the warcry midgets, not sure why they count but my examples didn't. Speaking of picking and choosing, here are to my knowledge the only two humans ever actually released under AoS proper.


Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






 lord_blackfang wrote:
Cool story with the warcry midgets, not sure why they count but my examples didn't. Speaking of picking and choosing, here are to my knowledge the only two humans ever actually released under AoS proper.
None of the models in your image were actually released for AoS, and it is an extremely dishonest comparison. If your point had merit you wouldn't be afraid to compare analogous minis with similar poses and no basing boosting their height. Every Warcry warband has been released for AoS proper as well, showing further lack of knowledge as to the product line. The entire premise and drive of your argument is to prove a point, not to actually figure out what is true.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in pl
Fresh-Faced New User




 NinthMusketeer wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
Cool story with the warcry midgets, not sure why they count but my examples didn't. Speaking of picking and choosing, here are to my knowledge the only two humans ever actually released under AoS proper.
None of the models in your image were actually released for AoS, and it is an extremely dishonest comparison. If your point had merit you wouldn't be afraid to compare analogous minis with similar poses and no basing boosting their height. Every Warcry warband has been released for AoS proper as well, showing further lack of knowledge as to the product line. The entire premise and drive of your argument is to prove a point, not to actually figure out what is true.


In turn, if your point had merit, you wouldn't simply ignore my own personal argument. But clearly, you must know that.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: