Switch Theme:

Firearms you own, and their uses.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Member of a Lodge? I Can't Say





Philadelphia PA

Long update from my last post in the thread: I decided to go to the local gunshow.

It was interesting to say the least. I was surprised by how diverse the crowd was.

My first purchase was from a really nice older couple, they helped walk me through the whole thing. The husband was making dad jokes and banter while the wife did the entry for the background check. Just super friendly.

Spoiler:


It's a Type 56 SKS, all matching serial numbers including the stock. The wood is in great shape, when I got a good look at the bore it was (in my entirely non-professional opinion) pristine. Crisp rifling and the lands looked glassy smooth. It made me wonder if the prev. owner ever fired it at all.

The only slight flaw is once I removed the rubber recoil pad it looks like the butt plate doesn't quite fit right. There's a small area of wood that looks like it should be covered but isn't. I'll probably buy a new one (since it's non-serialized and it's a metal plate how much could it cost?).

After purchasing it I remarked that I wanted a case for it and the husband said "the guy at the table next to ours is having a fire sale maybe check him out". And it was definitely an everything must go sort of sale because I bought the case for $20 and he gave me 40 rounds of 7.62 for free.

Second day of the show I made my second major purchase: a P-64. Not quite the Makarov I wanted, but it seems like 99.9% of the show's pistols were either Glocks or revolvers. Felt like I was stuck in a Resident Evil game or something.

Spoiler:


I bought it from a more business-like table, but they seemed ok. Was supposed to come with a holster and extra magazine but they forgot to bring it and promised to mail it to me at their expense.

Overall I had a very positive experience and will definitely be going again for the next one.

The one lesson I did learn though is that in a 3 day gunshow, always go the first day. It was less crowded and easier to find that SKS. Next time I might switch around my schedule and arrive Thurs so I can be there first thing Friday morning.

EDIT'd to spoiler the large images from my potato of a phone camera

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at 2021/10/16 23:39:20


 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

I picked up a type 56 earlier this year too. I would definitely recommend taking it out of the stock and checking it for cosmoline. Some people only clean the exterior areas and forget the rest of it, and cosmoline likes to come out of hiding once the gun heats up. You're gonna enjoy the rifle. Hope you got some stripper clips for it too.

Regarding the buttplate, it could potentially have been replaced at some point during a refurbish. Most surplus guns will have gone through a refurbish where they get sent back to the factory and have any worn parts replaced and maintained before they get gunked up with cosmoline and put in a warehouse for the next few decades till they got liquidated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/17 03:47:31


Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in gb
Badass "Sister Sin"






As someone with the very loosest of grasps on firearms? And a 40K fan….

Would Bolters, with their self propelled sometimes, depending who’s writing or drawing, caseless ammo, benefit from a Bullpup layout.


Remember to show your working (aka explain it in simple terms a moron like I can understand)

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in us
Member of a Lodge? I Can't Say





Philadelphia PA

 Grey Templar wrote:
I picked up a type 56 earlier this year too. I would definitely recommend taking it out of the stock and checking it for cosmoline. Some people only clean the exterior areas and forget the rest of it, and cosmoline likes to come out of hiding once the gun heats up. You're gonna enjoy the rifle. Hope you got some stripper clips for it too.

Regarding the buttplate, it could potentially have been replaced at some point during a refurbish. Most surplus guns will have gone through a refurbish where they get sent back to the factory and have any worn parts replaced and maintained before they get gunked up with cosmoline and put in a warehouse for the next few decades till they got liquidated.


I took it apart today, managed to launch the gas piston part right into the ceiling. Luckily I found it and the spring pretty easily. The parts were a bit greasy but not gunky or anything.

I picked up some stripper clips at the show too, though it took a bit of searching. The tables that had piles of every magazine in existence didn't have any stripper clips, but while cutting between two aisles I spotted some in the middle of a pile of GI webgear and canvas. I asked and they were for sale so I figured why not?

Also thinking back about I do have one complaint - I know this is like an expectation at a gun show, but those stun guns were incredibly annoying. The first day was nice and quiet aside from normal crowd sounds, but Saturday was a constant electric sizzle and crack. I'm not sensitive to noise usually, but that was a nuisance.
   
Made in us
Lord of the Fleet





Seneca Nation of Indians

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
As someone with the very loosest of grasps on firearms? And a 40K fan….

Would Bolters, with their self propelled sometimes, depending who’s writing or drawing, caseless ammo, benefit from a Bullpup layout.


Remember to show your working (aka explain it in simple terms a moron like I can understand)


Some. Bullpups are marginally better in tight confines, being more compact, so, in a close quarters firefight, it would have advantages.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/17 21:27:40



Fate is in heaven, armor is on the chest, accomplishment is in the feet. - Nagao Kagetora
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
As someone with the very loosest of grasps on firearms? And a 40K fan….

Would Bolters, with their self propelled sometimes, depending who’s writing or drawing, caseless ammo, benefit from a Bullpup layout.

Remember to show your working (aka explain it in simple terms a moron like I can understand)


Any rifle can benefit from being a bullpup. Bullpup as a design feature wouldn't interact with caseless ammo all that much.

The benefit to bullpup'ing a rifle is that you get the same barrel length in an overall shorter package. Barrel length is important for ensuring that the energy of the gunpowder is transferred to the bullet. Gunpowder doesn't burn all at once, it burns over time. Time the bullet is spending going down the barrel. If the bullet leaves the barrel before the gunpowder is done burning, you lose potential energy as well as stabilization from the rifling. This is a problem with versions of some firearms that have had their barrels shortened. It depends on the specific cartridge caliber too, some don't lose as much with a shorter than normal barrel.

Bullpup'ing makes the weapon easier to use in confined spaces from the reduction in its overall length, plus storage and other size related benefits, without losing the benefits of a normal(or potentially longer) barrel length. The downside to bullpups is they are, usually, not left handed friendly and reloading is sometimes awkward due to the magazine being so far back. These are minimal downsides, so in theory Bullpups are great. In practice, its another story.

Bullpup'ing an existing gun design is difficult and janky, which is why most bullpups are completely new designs. But they are usually focused on the bullpup aspect of the design, which means they can sometimes suffer in other areas. Which is why most countries have not adopted bullpup rifle designs, yet bullpups keep getting experimented with and the few countries who do use bullpups love their choices.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 ScarletRose wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
I picked up a type 56 earlier this year too. I would definitely recommend taking it out of the stock and checking it for cosmoline. Some people only clean the exterior areas and forget the rest of it, and cosmoline likes to come out of hiding once the gun heats up. You're gonna enjoy the rifle. Hope you got some stripper clips for it too.

Regarding the buttplate, it could potentially have been replaced at some point during a refurbish. Most surplus guns will have gone through a refurbish where they get sent back to the factory and have any worn parts replaced and maintained before they get gunked up with cosmoline and put in a warehouse for the next few decades till they got liquidated.


I took it apart today, managed to launch the gas piston part right into the ceiling. Luckily I found it and the spring pretty easily. The parts were a bit greasy but not gunky or anything.

I picked up some stripper clips at the show too, though it took a bit of searching. The tables that had piles of every magazine in existence didn't have any stripper clips, but while cutting between two aisles I spotted some in the middle of a pile of GI webgear and canvas. I asked and they were for sale so I figured why not?

Also thinking back about I do have one complaint - I know this is like an expectation at a gun show, but those stun guns were incredibly annoying. The first day was nice and quiet aside from normal crowd sounds, but Saturday was a constant electric sizzle and crack. I'm not sensitive to noise usually, but that was a nuisance.


Yeah, you gotta hold those spring loaded parts down when disassembling them. I always send the top cover across the room when I'm taking mine apart, and its a chonky piece thats gonna bonk someone someday.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/18 05:04:17


Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in ca
Heroic Senior Officer





Krieg! What a hole...

Friend got a Garand. I got to make a Garand ping.

Life is good

Member of 40k Montreal There is only war in Montreal
Primarchs are a mistake
DKoK Blog:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/419263.page Have a look, I guarantee you will not see greyer armies, EVER! Now with at least 4 shades of grey

Savageconvoy wrote:
Snookie gives birth to Heavy Gun drone squad. Someone says they are overpowered. World ends.

 
   
Made in us
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

The Garand ping is my number one reason to want a Garand, I think.

Garand thumb is the number one reason to not want a Garand, I think.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
Respect to the guy who subscribed just to post a massive ASCII dong in the chat and immediately get banned.

 Flinty wrote:
The benefit of slate is that its.actually a.rock with rock like properties. The downside is that it's a rock
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

Yours, or your enemy. The rifle cares not, it will have blood.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in ca
Heroic Senior Officer





Krieg! What a hole...

 Ouze wrote:
The Garand ping is my number one reason to want a Garand, I think.

Garand thumb is the number one reason to not want a Garand, I think.


I was able not Garand Thumb myself, at least.

Member of 40k Montreal There is only war in Montreal
Primarchs are a mistake
DKoK Blog:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/419263.page Have a look, I guarantee you will not see greyer armies, EVER! Now with at least 4 shades of grey

Savageconvoy wrote:
Snookie gives birth to Heavy Gun drone squad. Someone says they are overpowered. World ends.

 
   
Made in us
Lord of the Fleet





Seneca Nation of Indians

 Ouze wrote:

Garand thumb is the number one reason to not want a Garand, I think.


'thumb' issues were a common issue in ww2 rifles. I still have a scar from working my type 38 a little too furiously one day, about 20 years ago. Did get the deer though.

I can say I know for a fact whey the Japanese infantry frequently 'lost' the dust cover on those.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/19 13:38:21



Fate is in heaven, armor is on the chest, accomplishment is in the feet. - Nagao Kagetora
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

ScarletRose wrote:The one lesson I did learn though is that in a 3 day gunshow, always go the first day. It was less crowded and easier to find that SKS. Next time I might switch around my schedule and arrive Thurs so I can be there first thing Friday morning.


Conversely, also consider going on the last day. That's when sellers start getting more willing to negotiate on what they haven't been able to move.

Right at opening or afternoon on the last day are my preferences.

Ouze wrote:The Garand ping is my number one reason to want a Garand, I think.

Garand thumb is the number one reason to not want a Garand, I think.


Garand thumb is easy to mitigate; you're supposed to insert the en-bloc clip with your thumb while the meat of your palm rests against the front of the charging handle, like this. That way even when the bolt lets loose, your hand is in the way of the action closing.

   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Texas

Years back I got a Bullpup kit for my Ruger 10/22. Add a flash supressor (cuz it looks cool) and it is a totally awesome looking piece. I brought it into a gun show to buy some larger mags, as I needed to make sure they fit with the different setup, and had about a dozen people ask if I was selling it, where could they buy one, etc.

Got a Ruger 10/22? I totally recommend it. Just a lot pricier now than when I did it about 12 years ago. Also, some of the designs are not to my liking - mine is like this one: https://www.mountsplus.com/muzzelite-bullpup-stock-for-the-ruger-1022.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/20 16:50:42


My Novella Collection is available on Amazon - Action/Fantasy/Sci-Fi - https://www.amazon.com/Three-Roads-Dreamt-Michael-Leonard/dp/1505716993/

 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

That is pretty dope not gonna lie.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

A while back didn't someone make a bullpup kit for the 10-22 that looked like a Steyr Aug?
   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator




Elverson, PA

Most of the time it's simply inconvenient, but there are times that being left-handed truly sucks. This is one of those times

Bane's P&M Blog, pop in and leave a comment
3100+
starting
 feeder wrote:
Frazz's mind is like a wiener dog in a rabbit warren. Dark, twisting tunnels, and full of the certainty that just around the next bend will be the quarry he seeks.

 
   
Made in gb
Badass "Sister Sin"






Me again! With another question.

This is again comes from me watching Forgotten Weapons on YouTube.

This time, I wish to enquire about your “I didn’t want to that, did I?” type rookie mistakes when you first started experimenting Fun With Firearms.


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in pl
Steady Dwarf Warrior



Wroclaw , Poland


well, its just late announcment, or an regulation that somebody, might hear,

is, i think lots of countries will try to remove the traditional carbine, rifle


because they have very big calliber, i mean this guns have ballistics,


so, for example i heard in Russia is project of Bull pup, guns with a calliber smaller than 9 mm


because its still alot


for purpose of the guarding, in security and so on, this is not necessary

such big calliber,



i just say this , because this SA80 , its was british construction


and, i dont argue if it is a better or worse idea


because the, construction with bulltes, in front of weapon,


was, a result of MP40 and MP43 , weapons,


and, it says it was, "sub machine guns,


but, they was also "assault rifles"


so today nobody argues, that they are , strong or very tough ,



but, its not sure if army needs them today and many people is thinking, that

selling them, is a bit stupid,



i dont know, people buy this for hunting

i'm serious





   
Made in us
Lord of the Fleet





Seneca Nation of Indians

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Me again! With another question.

This is again comes from me watching Forgotten Weapons on YouTube.

This time, I wish to enquire about your “I didn’t want to that, did I?” type rookie mistakes when you first started experimenting Fun With Firearms.



My brother, when he was much younger, gave hand loading a try. He exploded his shotgun. Apparently, you're not supposed to fill the entire shell with powder.

My first time hunting, I tried to rapid fire a bolt action rifle from the hip. Surprisingly, I killed the target, despite the fact it was 75 yards away.


Fate is in heaven, armor is on the chest, accomplishment is in the feet. - Nagao Kagetora
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

Yeahhhhh. Shotshells only take a little bit of powder, they're mostly empty space when all said and done. Reloading is one of those things where you gotta follow the damn instructions.



Ummm. I'm gonna have to ask for a little clarification on what your question was.


Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Another n00b question.

Of the shooters you own, which is the most prone to jamming, and why?

Right now my Carl Gustav M45. I suspect the mag well is slight out of spec but I can’t really mess with it until my SBR paperwork gets done and I can extend the stock

 Avatar 720 wrote:
You see, to Auston, everyone is a Death Star; there's only one way you can take it and that's through a small gap at the back.

Come check out my Blood Angels,Crimson Fists, and coming soon Eldar
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/391013.page
I have conceded that the Eldar page I started in P&M is their legitimate home. Free Candy! Updated 10/19.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/391553.page
Powder Burns wrote:what they need to make is a fullsize leatherman, like 14" long folded, with a bone saw, notches for bowstring, signaling flare, electrical hand crank generator, bolt cutters..
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Me again! With another question.

This is again comes from me watching Forgotten Weapons on YouTube.

This time, I wish to enquire about your “I didn’t want to that, did I?” type rookie mistakes when you first started experimenting Fun With Firearms.


Unloading a Glock is pretty straightforward:
Drop the mag
Rack the slide to eject the chambered round
Rack the slide again and lock it back
Visually check the chamber, insert a pinky in feed ramp just to verify it unloaded
Drop the slide, dry fire the trigger in a safe direction
Store magazine, store pistol.

After 10 years of training, practicing helping train others, I did this instead:
Got into a deep discussion with the wife - distracted
Dropped the mag
Racked the slide
Racked the slide, locked it back and checked the chamber
Inserted the mag
Dropped the slide and fired the pistol into a sandbag sitting on the desktop of the built in cabinet, going through said bag and lodging the 9mm hollow point into the horse hair plastered slatboard wall in our close to 200yo house.
While shocked and deafened by the “eeeeeeeeeeee”, I dropped the mag, racked hell out of the slide, locked it back and placed the pistol as well as the mag into the safety box.

So yes, I had a ND.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

I must admit that I had a negligent discharge once as well, but nearly that bad. I was out plinking with my brother in law with our .22LR pistols. He had a revolver that held 9 rounds. We decide to try each other's weapon out and he filled his with what he had left in a partial box of ammo, which was 8 rounds. I, thinking it was a 7 round revolver, squeeze off 7 rounds, then hit a click and think I'm empty. I then point at a pigeon, thinking I was just going to dryfire. Nope, surprising everyone I dropped the pigeon.

   
Made in us
Keeper of the Flame





Monticello, IN

dubman wrote:

well, its just late announcment, or an regulation that somebody, might hear,

is, i think lots of countries will try to remove the traditional carbine, rifle


because they have very big calliber, i mean this guns have ballistics,


so, for example i heard in Russia is project of Bull pup, guns with a calliber smaller than 9 mm


because its still alot


for purpose of the guarding, in security and so on, this is not necessary

such big calliber,



i just say this , because this SA80 , its was british construction


and, i dont argue if it is a better or worse idea


because the, construction with bulltes, in front of weapon,


was, a result of MP40 and MP43 , weapons,


and, it says it was, "sub machine guns,


but, they was also "assault rifles"


so today nobody argues, that they are , strong or very tough ,



but, its not sure if army needs them today and many people is thinking, that

selling them, is a bit stupid,



i dont know, people buy this for hunting

i'm serious







It was, extremely difficult to

read, through your, post
and even, then I couldn

t discerm what the, hell you were

trying to, say


I'm serious.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Lord of the Fleet





Seneca Nation of Indians

While I've never had an ND, my father, who originally trained me to use guns, had one once he's never lived down.

My mother loves to point at the hole over the kitchen table where, while cleaning an Allen and Wheellock bar hammer, he had decided to try and clear an apparent blockage by snapping a cap rather than do it the right way.

This successfully fired a round that had apparently been in the revolver since the 19th century. Fortunately, it didn't have a lot of oomph left.


Fate is in heaven, armor is on the chest, accomplishment is in the feet. - Nagao Kagetora
 
   
Made in ca
Heroic Senior Officer





Krieg! What a hole...

Spoiler:


Brainstorming, brainstorming... unfortunately the Garand is not mine. The swords are, though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/21 19:16:45


Member of 40k Montreal There is only war in Montreal
Primarchs are a mistake
DKoK Blog:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/419263.page Have a look, I guarantee you will not see greyer armies, EVER! Now with at least 4 shades of grey

Savageconvoy wrote:
Snookie gives birth to Heavy Gun drone squad. Someone says they are overpowered. World ends.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

That's one hell of a bayonet.
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

The French 1866 Chasspot rifles had bayonets that were legitimate swords.




Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

I'm now tempted to duck tape a Scottish Claymore to the end of my Mosin Nagant to make a pike.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/23 22:21:51


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I'm thinking about getting a 1911, but I'm not sure what the good ones are anymore. Do you guys have any suggestions. I'm looking to spend around 1,500 and I will CCW with it.
   
 
Forum Index » Off-Topic Forum
Go to: