Switch Theme:

Feedback please...haven't really painted in over 17 years  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Deadly Dire Avenger




Canaduh

Sorry for the bad lighting, and I had to use the nearest cam I had...which wasn't my DSLR. I Still need to glue the mini to the base, flock/sand the base and spray the entire thing in a clear satin Krylon spray.

[Thumb - DA_sarge_back - Copy.jpg]
Back

[Thumb - DA_sarge_front1 - Copy.jpg]
Front 1

[Thumb - DA_sarge_front2 - Copy.jpg]
Front 2


Starting "anew" - 5000pts - oldskool models
Slowly but surely - almost 2500pts?
Small but taking their vitamins - 2500ish?
daemons roar - 3000ish ?

Oh fliers - how thou hath ruined the game  
   
Made in gb
Masculine Male Wych





Norwich, England

Looks pretty good. I like the skin tone and robe.
Maybe it's the light, but the armour looks a bit dark, although looking at the first picture where the light is brighter, it doesn't look quite so dark.
It looks like it's been painted very neatly, keep it up!

My You Tube Channel - Shredder - Gaming For Science
Dark Eldar
Necromunda Orlock gang
Chaos
Tomb Kings
Why iz Orks green an' stupid? Coz if they were pink an' stupid they'd be Humies!  
   
Made in ca
Deadly Dire Avenger




Canaduh

 Shredder wrote:
Looks pretty good. I like the skin tone and robe.
Maybe it's the light, but the armour looks a bit dark, although looking at the first picture where the light is brighter, it doesn't look quite so dark.
It looks like it's been painted very neatly, keep it up!


Thanks Shredder! I didn't use GW colours (only GW "paint" I have is the black wash). I mixed my own two greens, (hunter green + black + metallic green ratio: 3:2:1) and (hunter green + black ratio 3:1). Overall it's undercoated with Krylon flat black, then green metallic mix, then green mix on plate pieces only, washed with GW wash, then highlighted with hunter green. I find the "standard" GW DA green too be too dark lime looking for my liking.

Oh and that was the first face I've ever painted as Eldar was my first army....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/04 00:43:47


Starting "anew" - 5000pts - oldskool models
Slowly but surely - almost 2500pts?
Small but taking their vitamins - 2500ish?
daemons roar - 3000ish ?

Oh fliers - how thou hath ruined the game  
   
Made in gb
Leader of the Sept







The white is looking a bit thick and this is being passed on to the red bits, that you obviously re-based in white. Try thinning it by a lot and doing a number of thin coats, rather than trying to get full coverage in 1 coat. White is the hardest thing to do well, though. Otherwise its quite a nice green, and I like the blending on the icon wings.

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





Something I was told that worked for me with eyes and teeth was to not use pure white. It works. I'd say throw a wash on the weapons and tabard and you're good to go.

On a whole its a good looking job, will look fine on the table.

Also there's a video how to for painting DA on YouTube that was really good, didn't start with DA green, check it out you might like it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/04 02:37:37


 
   
Made in ca
Deadly Dire Avenger




Canaduh

Painson wrote:
Something I was told that worked for me with eyes and teeth was to not use pure white. It works. I'd say throw a wash on the weapons and tabard and you're good to go.

On a whole its a good looking job, will look fine on the table.

Also there's a video how to for painting DA on YouTube that was really good, didn't start with DA green, check it out you might like it.


It's hard to tell from the photos :( but there is a light tan wash on the cloak - it was pure white. I threw a GW wash over the weapons already too....may I'll toss another on... and I noticed I missed the grip on the plasma pistol...oops!

Starting "anew" - 5000pts - oldskool models
Slowly but surely - almost 2500pts?
Small but taking their vitamins - 2500ish?
daemons roar - 3000ish ?

Oh fliers - how thou hath ruined the game  
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





Totally check out that tutorial on painting DA. It's called How to Paint Dark Angels Space Marines by Awesomepaintjob. I haven't painted Dangels for a while, but if I did that where I'd go with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/05 03:26:10


 
   
Made in ca
Deadly Dire Avenger




Canaduh

Newer pics with a better cam and hopefully lighting - mind you I did use manual focus . I think all I need to do now is flock/sand the base and satin protect the entire deal......

Question for all. Do you generally apply a wash and then go back and highlight or highlight and then wash?
[Thumb - IMG_6264.jpg]

[Thumb - IMG_6265.jpg]

[Thumb - IMG_6266.jpg]

[Thumb - IMG_6267.jpg]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/05 05:13:10


Starting "anew" - 5000pts - oldskool models
Slowly but surely - almost 2500pts?
Small but taking their vitamins - 2500ish?
daemons roar - 3000ish ?

Oh fliers - how thou hath ruined the game  
   
Made in au
Mighty Chosen Warrior of Chaos





Australia

Lookin good mate. for someone who hasn't painted in 17 years. I hate to sound rude but is this your own chapter or is it ment to be Dark Angels? If it's ment to be dark angels your base colour needs to be more green :3 you can do 50/50 with a dark green and black. then keep highlighting lighter and lighter with the greens until you reach the point, were the most extreme highlight would be done.

please have a look at my thread on my painted minis let me no what yall think bout them :3 no one is commenting its making me sad panda :(

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/511831.page


sorry for the mini thread hijack OP.

My commission website / gallary:
http://kronicpainting.webs.com/

ebay store
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/kronicpsycho/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Facebook! Give it a like! - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kronic-Painting/153681254833871?ref=hl

Referral link - http://www.slavetopainting.com.au/?ref=iqmcva 
   
Made in ca
Deadly Dire Avenger




Canaduh

kronicpsycho wrote:
Lookin good mate. for someone who hasn't painted in 17 years. I hate to sound rude but is this your own chapter or is it ment to be Dark Angels? If it's ment to be dark angels your base colour needs to be more green :3 you can do 50/50 with a dark green and black. then keep highlighting lighter and lighter with the greens until you reach the point, were the most extreme highlight would be done.

please have a look at my thread on my painted minis let me no what yall think bout them :3 no one is commenting its making me sad panda :(

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/511831.page


sorry for the mini thread hijack OP.


No offence taken! I'm not a fan of the "official" Dark Angel green - i find it to lime coloured - and wanted my Dark Angels...well...dark! I'm going to work on a regular DA marine next and try him in the lighter green and see what it looks like. If I like it I'll keep them that way and just use the darker colours on the officers/characters to make them stand out a bit more. Besides...if I ever played DA vs DA how would we tell'm apart if everyone used the same shade of green?

I like the colouring of your nurgly coloured ones and may "borrow" some of your look

Starting "anew" - 5000pts - oldskool models
Slowly but surely - almost 2500pts?
Small but taking their vitamins - 2500ish?
daemons roar - 3000ish ?

Oh fliers - how thou hath ruined the game  
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to: