Or how a newbie gets too exited about learning new stuff.
Last week I finally, after 1½ years, got last of my Grey Knights painted. After learning so much from so many mistakes, i'm feeling confident enough about myself that I decided to start doing something i've always wanted: diorama! As my army really needs some more transport capacity, and airplanes being so near to my heart, I decided to go for it and do a mini-dio on stormravens base. And being the nice guy I am, I decided to do this blog around this undertaking for you fellow dakkas to watch, comment and give advice. And for me to ask for help when I start to reach too far beyond my skills.
From the start I have couple of things im going to try in this project: smoke and OSL
. I've never done either before, but if past experiences in painting and modelling have told me anything, it's that I learn best by just going for it and not thinking too much about "how"
Also new to me is green stuff, and more precisely the liquid form. Ive never been too eager to do any sculpting, and this time is not different, I just want to try the stuff out for some hole-plugging that is going to come around.
What has happened this far: First bumbs came before I even had came home from my shopping spree for the project. Neither my FLGS
nor local GW
had cadian officers-blister I need for this! I did order it at GW
, but its gonna take at least a week to arrive, maybe longer with bad luck. Oh well, I do have inquisitorial front hatch and etch-parts coming from FW
so it's not like this is only thing delaying me. I did manage to buy the flyer itself, and basilica admistratum-box for building some terrain around the base. Some 1mm wire from local crafts store for pinning or modelling support struts in concrete and im ready to start.
Building a piece of corner of a building was simple enough. Some bits of sprue, little drilling, liquid green stuff and pieces of wire, and it looks blown out enough. Nothing too complicated. Stormraven, on the other hand... There is nothing too complicated in building it, either, but the instructions for it leave something to be desired. Especially when they mix up the part numbers. Good thing I was awake and testing everything before using glue when building canopies for the turret and the cockpit. Parts seem to fit pretty well, parts aren't leaving craks between them or anything, but just to test it I give little bit of LGS
to some parts. I get every piece that has some inside-details done and im able to put the basic hull together with some rubber bands for testing the positions of everything on the base.
Try as I might, its not gonna fit! Either the base gets too cramped, something comes out from it, the raven touches the building from some point or it just doesn't look good. After good time of fiddling around, I decide to do this one step bigger than first planned: its not gonna be mini-diorama on a base, its going to be a small diorama with stormravens base slotted in it! Back to the shops for something to base it on.
I manage to find some cheap table-covers made from cork. Back at home, after some rough measurements the new plan starts to form. The biggest challenge at this point seems to be getting enough stuff to happen on the model, without blowing it over with too much stuff. I think I need to start making some bricks and pieces of concrete wall out of sprues and wire... Too bad I can't get any final positioning done before those ordered minis and parts get here
At least I have time and reason to paint everything behind the doors and glasses in the stormraven now.
To be continued ASAP. Sorry about the quality of pics, i'm working on getting better camera to use here