Switch Theme:

Battle of the Deathstars (Battle Report Links on p.1, Bonus #8 - Pinkstar vs Taudar - p.17)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Who is the best deathstar? Who will win the tournament?
Pinkstar Daemons
Farsight Tau
Draigowing Grey Knights
Seer Council Eldar/Dark Eldar (Deldar)
Other. (Please provide list for Deathstar no more than 1K in points).

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

This is just for fun. It is also because I've got some time on my hands as "the Mrs." will be out-of-town next week. Anyone interested to see which is the best deathstar? I'm going to set up (and probably play) a mini-tournament between 4 deathstars to see which one is the best deathstar. Yes, it is going to be deathstars in a vaccum without support from the rest of the army, but then again, shouldn't a true deathstar be able to work independently from the rest of the army?

Currently, I will be using deathstars from 4 armies - Grey Knights, Eldar/Dark Eldar, Tau and Daemons. There are more, however, I wanted to test out some of the most expensive (and probably best) deathstars out there. My only requirements for the deathstars is that they must be a legal deathstar. For example, a unit of pink horrors joined by 9 Tzeentch Heralds isn't a legal deathstar. My other requirement is that they must fit at 1000-pts or less.

So let's introduce the 4 current deathstars:


-------------------------------------------------------------------


1K Battle of the Deathstars


1000 Pinkstar Daemons

Lord of Change - Lvl 3, 2x Greater Gifts, 1x Lesser Gift

Herald - Tzeentch, Lvl 3, Loci of Conjuration, Exalted Gift (Grimoire of True Names)
Herald - Tzeentch, Lvl 3, Loci of Conjuration, Exalted Gift (Portaglyph)
Herald - Tzeentch, Lvl 3, Loci of Conjuration
Herald - Tzeentch, Lvl 3

20x Pink Horrors

1000


The Pinkstar itself was only 695-pts so I decided to throw in the Lord of Change to bring it up to 1K. I think this is a good combination. While the pinkstar has some resiliency, it has no assault capabilities whatsoever. The LoC gives the unit some counter-assault as well as some much needed mobility. You can kind of use him as a "bodyguard" for the deathstar, though he is practically a deathstar just by himself as well.

In any case, I wanted to test out just how deadly is the shooting of the Pinkstar.



1000 Farsight-Bomb Tau

Farsight
Shadowsun

1x Bodyguard - TL-Fusion Blasters, Vectored Retro-thrusters, 2x Gun Drones, Command & Control Node, Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite
1x Bodyguard - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-thrusters, 2x Gun Drones, Puretide Engram Neurochip
1x Bodyguard - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, 1x Gun Drone, Iridium Battlesuit
1x Bodyguard - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, 2x Gun Drones, Neuroweb System Jammer, Ongager Gauntlet
3x Bodyguard - Missile Pods, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, 2x Gun Drones

997


1000 Draigowing Grey Knights

Coteaz
Grandmaster - Psycannon, Psykatroke Grenades, Nemesis Force Sword

10x Paladins - 4x (2x Master-crafted) Psycannons, 3x Hammers, Brotherhood Banner

1000

--- EDITED ----

I actually revised my Draigowing deathstar list. Now it doesn't even have Draigo at all. Instead. I swapped him and some paladin wargear for Coteaz and a Grandmaster.



1000 Jetseer Council Deldar

Baron Sathonyx

Farseer - Jetbike, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Eldritch Storm, Guide, Mind War
Farseer - Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Fortune, Doom

6x Warlocks - Jetbikes, Destructors
2x Warlocks - Jetbikes
1x Warlock - Jetbike, Embolden
1x Warlock - Jetbike, Enhance

1000

--- EDITED ----

Fixed mistakes in the Seer Council list as pointed out by Dash2021.

--- EDITED ----

After doing some more research, I've decided that it isn't mandatory that each Warlock needs a power. Changing list again.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


Format:

This will be a round-robin mini-tournament format. Every deathstar will play every other deathstar once. In the end, the deathstar with the best record will be the most dominant deathstar. In the case of a tie (i.e. if 2 deathstars end up 2-1 each), the 2 armies will play each other for the "deathstar championship". Otherwise, rankings will be based on Win-loss as Primary and Total Victory Points as Secondary in the case of identical records.


Mission:

Simple. Just kill each other. I will measure the destruction by straight Victory Points on a model-by-model basis. Multi-wound models will offer 1/2 victory points if brought to 1/2 the total wounds or less and full VP's if killed. Thus, if you kill a normal paladin, you get 55 VP's. If you bring him down to 1W, you get 28 VP's. If you kill the Lord of Change, you get 305 VP's. If you bring down to 2W or less (or 3W if he gets the +1W greater gift), then you get 153 VP's. This is mainly to measure the pure destructive capabilities and resiliency of each deathstar.

It will be a standard random-length game where you determine if the game goes on after 5 turns.


Deployment:

I will be using the Standard deployments from the book.


Initiative:

Roll off to pick sides and then roll off for Initiative. Night-fight rolled as normal.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


Ok, people, place your bets. Who do you think is the best deathstar and how do you think each deathstar will match up against each other?


Also, you can submit your own deathstar into the mix. If I like it, I may consider adding them to the mini-tournament or even replacing one of the current armies.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


Links to the Games:


Deathstars Under Consideration


Army Analysis


Game #1 - 1000 Pinkstar Daemons vs Farsight Tau


Bonus Deathmatch #1 - 1000 Pinkstar Daemons vs Spartan Hamminators


Bonus Deathmatch #2 - 1000 Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Bad Company Blood Angels


Game #2 - 1000 Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Farsight Tau


Game #3 - 1000 Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Pinkstar Daemons


Game #4 - 1000 Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Seer Council Deldar


Game #5 - 1000 Seer Council Deldar vs Pinkstar Daemons


Bonus Deathmatch #3 - Rematch - Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Seer Council Deldar Part II


Bonus Deathmatch #4 - 1000 Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Ork Nob Bikers


Game #6 - 1000 Farsight-Bomb Tau vs Seer Council Deldar


Bonus Deathmatch #5 - Ravenstar Dark Angels vs Farsight Bomb Tau


Bonus Deathmatch #6 - Rematch - Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Pinkstar Daemons


Bonus Deathmatch #7 - Paladinstar Grey Knights vs Taudar Wraith Bomb


Game #7 - Rematch - Farsight-Bomb Tau vs Seer Council Deldar



Tournament Results So Far

Spoiler:
You can check back here for the Tournament and Overall records so far. Updated with each battle added.


Tournament Record

Team.....Record.....Victory Points.....Win-Loss-%

Tau.....2-1.....2423VP's.....66.7%
Beat: Daemons, Grey Knights
Lost to: Deldar

Deldar.....2-1.....2000VP's.....66.7%
Beat: Daemons, Tau
Lost to: Grey Knights

Grey Knights.....1-2.....1970VP's.....33.3%
Beat: Deldar
Lost to: Daemons, Tau

Daemons.....1-2.....1196VP's.....33.3%
Beat: Grey Knights
Lost to: Deldar, Tau


Overall Record

Team.....Record.....Victory Points.....Win-Loss-%

Dark Angels.....1-0.....1000VP's.....100%
Beat: Tau

Taudar.....1-0.....765VP's.....100%
Beat: Grey Knights

Daemons.....3-2.....3196VP's.....60%
Beat: Grey Knights (twice)
Lost to: Deldar, Tau

Grey Knights.....4-4.....5721VP's.....50%
Beat: Deldar (twice), Blood Angels, Orks
Lost to: Daemons (twice), Tau, Taudar

Tau.....2-2.....2853VP's.....50%
Beat: Daemons, Grey Knights
Lost to: Deldar, Dark Angels

Deldar.....2-2.....2000VP's.....50%
Beat: Daemons, Tau
Lost to: Grey Knights (twice)

Orks.....0-1.....290VP's.....0%
Lost to: Grey Knights

Blood Angels.....0-1.....223VP's.....0%
Lost to: Grey Knights

Space Marines.....0-1.....135VP's.....0%
Lost to: Daemons




This message was edited 46 times. Last update was at 2013/05/20 19:54:27



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in ca
Dour Wolf Priest with Iron Wolf Amulet






Canada

Here's one that'd be nasty, especially vs Farsight's unit since it'd be difficult for them to kite them:
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Saga of the Bear)
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Runic Armour)
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Runic Armour)
4x TWC (2x Storm Shield, 1x Power Fist)

Never doubt yourself. Only let it make you stronger... Unless you're the PDF. In which case, you'll be killed to a man.

Andilus Greatsword's Great Company - ~10,000pts Hive Fleet Maliades - ~8500pts Raven Sword - ~3000pts Sisters of Battle - ~1800pts Barloq's Temple City - ~4000pts 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Seer Council seems like the best.

Bee beep boo baap 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Upper Easternshore Maryland

Farseer runes fortune guide
Wraithguard x10
Warlock conceal
Shadowsun (Tau HQ that gives shrouded and stealth)

should be less than 1000 points.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I think the grey knights or tau are going to win.
   
Made in us
Irked Necron Immortal





Fort Wayne, IN

Question: must the deathstar fit in a single FOC? In any case, I submit the following:

2 x Warboss, packing Cybork, PK, and Bikes

8 Nobz + Painboy, all packing Bikes, PK's, and Cybork.

This comes up to about 945 points, so you've got 55 points you could allocate to kombi-weapons or possibly 'eavy armor, maybe even attack squigs.

I keep thinking you could do something nasty with Necron Royal Court Disco Inferno and an attached Destroyer Lord, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything that I like.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 03:25:35


DT:80+S++G++M--B--IPw40k11+D+A+++/cWD-R+++T(D)DM+
8000, mostly painted
14000, all over the place 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

 Andilus Greatsword wrote:
Here's one that'd be nasty, especially vs Farsight's unit since it'd be difficult for them to kite them:
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Saga of the Bear)
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Runic Armour)
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Power Fist, Storm Shield, Runic Armour)
4x TWC (2x Storm Shield, 1x Power Fist)

Man, I actually forgot about hero-hammer Space Wolves!


What do you think of the following SW deathstar?


Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Powerfist, Saga of the Bear)
Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Wolf Claw, Saga of Majesty)
Wolf Guard Battle Leader (Thunderwolf, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Powerfist)
Rune Priest (Master of Runes, Runic Armor, Bike)

15x Fenrisian Wolves

1000


The RP adds some utility to the unit. Psychic defense is perhaps his best contribution. However, Jaws could be nasty to some of the lower inititive deathstars like Crisis Suits or even the paladins. Or you can trade in for Divination powers like Prescience or Misfortune. However, the real gem here is Precognition. If you can get that power, you can put him in the front for some re-rollable 2+ saves against small-arms fire while using LOS on the AP 1/2 guns.

The only drawback is that you lose Fleet with him attached, but if you really need to, you can always detach him from the unit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 03:31:18



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in au
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Australia

2x Necron Overlords, full trimmings
2x Despairteks, Veil
10x Deathmarks

850 points.

2000 pts

Compel wrote:
Because in a universe where the basic weapon is a rocket propelled grenade machine gun, with gigantic battletanks, 5 kilometer long spaceships, huge robots and power armoured supersoldiers, the most powerful guy you want to field on a battlefield is a bloke in a pointy hat carrying a stick. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





San Jose, CA

LValx wrote:
Seer Council seems like the best.

Don't forget that Tau can remove their cover (in case they get Invisibility) with the Multi-Spectrum Sensors.


Their damage output is also suspect against 2+ paladins....or even pink horrors with 2++ saves!


But their mobility is unmatched. Shooty deathstars (Farsight-bomb and the Pinkstar) will only have 1 chance to shoot at them and that is it.


 BayneMor wrote:
Farseer runes fortune guide
Wraithguard x10
Warlock conceal
Shadowsun (Tau HQ that gives shrouded and stealth)

should be less than 1000 points.

I'm not feeling this deathstar. Their damage output is just too low and short-ranged, especially when you consider how fast some of the deathstars are and how resilient they can be with 2+ cover/invuln's, of which some may be re-rollable.

Moreover, this unit's got no resiliency in combat and no way to get out of combat.


yellowfever wrote:
I think the grey knights or tau are going to win.

Draigowing is definitely the oldest deathstar on my list and probably the standard everyone looks up to. However, I think they've got their work cut out for them. At 1K, I just couldn't fit in Prescience. Moreover, they've got very poor mobility.

The Tau deathstar is very good. I think they have the potential to win it all.


PrinceOfMadness wrote:
Question: must the deathstar fit in a single FOC? In any case, I submit the following:

2 x Warboss, packing Cybork, PK, and Bikes

8 Nobz + Painboy, all packing Bikes, PK's, and Cybork.

This comes up to about 945 points, so you've got 55 points you could allocate to kombi-weapons or possibly 'eavy armor, maybe even attack squigs.

I keep thinking you could do something nasty with Necron Royal Court Disco Inferno and an attached Destroyer Lord, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything that I like.



Ah, nob bikers. I was considering them as well. They do have the potential to beat face and make it into this tournament.

And yes, I am thinking of single-FOC deathstars only, though you could bring in allies.


 DexKivuli wrote:
2x Necron Overlords, full trimmings
2x Despairteks, Veil
10x Deathmarks

850 points.

Hmmm....interesting. Never thought about this unit.

It can be a little tricky getting them into Template range without a night scythe. Veil of Darkness isn't all that accurate and if you mishap and go back into reserves, you will be considered tabled because you don't have a model on the board at the end of the turn.

Sorry, not feeling it.


-------------------------------------------------------------


Coming up tomorrow.....


Army Analysis for each deathstar.


This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 04:12:25



6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links
 
   
Made in sg
Longtime Dakkanaut





How about 2 Destroyer lords with 12 wraiths? Its actually 2 units, but lots of necron players use the D lord wraithwing as a deathstar.

CSM also like to use either the Khorne Juggerlord with 5 chaos spawn or the Nurgle T6 chaos lord on a bike with black mace, with Sorceror on bike plus 10 nurgle T6 bikes. (A bit similar to nod bikers unit).

And since we allow Draigo, then for CSM, we can have Typhus + Abaddon + 10 Nurgle marked terminators with the works! lol

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 08:07:16


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Horrors, you dont need three conjurations really, you have enough LOS to protect from shooting and once they are in CC PSA has no effect, therefore I would suggest the other Loci's. Transmaj... etc and locus of change. d3 horror auto hits is a small fallback but it would be nice to see some palies die to it!, also the sd6 could be good rather then their base str3, yes its random but its chaos!. Personnaly I would have chosen a DP to lead/guard the horrors and hope for iron arm mainly for EW, palies will have a field day insta killing the LoC :(


Daemon prince, mark of tzeentch, wings, armour, mastery level 3 2 greater rewards, 1 lesser reward 355pts

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of conjuration exalted reward (grimourie)

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF)

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of transmogfrication

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF)

20 Horrors, blasted standard

1k pts dead

I would be hoping for iron arm enfeeble and possibly endurance (fnp for the horrors), greater rewards got to be plus 1 wound IWND and 4 plus FNP or re roll invul's and staff of change as the lesser gift for the DP and misfortune (or a couple at least) forewarning and of course prescience for the horror squad.

I am very interested in the outcome of this as I think, with enfeeble , the palies and tau will take a beating from one shooting phase. Also interested in the eldar vs daemons match up, this will all be down to dice though as runes will laugh at the daemons PSA and buffs debuffs :(

And dont forget, all the heralds shooting can be prescision on a 6, see that warding stave or hammer dude?, assign a few wounds to him, the tau dude with hit n run, assign a few to him etc.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 09:50:07


40kGlobal AOA member, regular of Overlords podcast club and 4tk gaming store. Blogger @ http://sanguinesons.blogspot.co.uk/
06/2013: 1st at War of the Roses ETC warm up.
08/213: 3rd place double teams at 4tk
09/2013: 7th place, best daemon and non eldar/tau army at Northern Warlords GT
10/2013: 3rd/4th at Battlefield Birmingham
11/2013: 5th at GT heat 3
11/2013: 5th COG 2k at 4tk
01/2014: 34th at Caledonian
03/2014: 3rd GT Final 
   
Made in us
Infiltrating Broodlord





Oklahoma City

I tried to make a Deathstar with Abaddon, but he would just get kited to eternity without someway to take a transport that can fit him and his ten man strong super termi unit

On the other hand, I made a Dark Angels deathstar that has delivery system, and superb amounts of killyness

Company Master in Terminator armor with Lion's Roar, Digital Weapons, Mace of Redemption and Storm Shield
joining 5x Deathwing Terminators, sarge with TH/SS in front, one guy with AC, deep striking (mostly for twinlink and splitfire the turn they arrive)
5x TH/SS Deathwing Terminators, one with CRM in a Land Raider Redeemer with Multi Melta

1000 points

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 08:28:17


 
   
Made in sg
Longtime Dakkanaut





Dragowing can get kited as well. Similar really. Both are terminator unit deathstars.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Are we including tactics in this game instead of just charging the 2 deathstars into each other? Because a CSM biker unit can just keep at range and dakka the opponent to death if it doesn't want to charge in. (Although for the pink horrors unit, it will choose to charge in cos it is out dakkaed).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 08:39:47


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 bocatt wrote:
I tried to make a Deathstar with Abaddon, but he would just get kited to eternity without someway to take a transport that can fit him and his ten man strong super termi unit

On the other hand, I made a Dark Angels deathstar that has delivery system, and superb amounts of killyness

Company Master in Terminator armor with Lion's Roar, Digital Weapons, Mace of Redemption and Storm Shield
joining 5x Deathwing Terminators, sarge with TH/SS in front, one guy with AC, deep striking (mostly for twinlink and splitfire the turn they arrive)
5x TH/SS Deathwing Terminators, one with CRM in a Land Raider Redeemer with Multi Melta

1000 points


It is also three units ,

I think a truer deathstar would be this (keeping in line with FOC)

Librarian, lvl2 psyker, terminator armour, force axe, monster slayer digital weapons melta bombs
Chaplain, terminator armour, mace of redempation, digital weapons, melta bombs
Techmarine plasma pistol, PFG, digital weapons, melta bombs

10 Deathwing terminators, 2 plasma cannons, 4 TH SS


1k pts dead
   
Made in au
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Australia

One more try at a Necronstar:

Zahndy's Court

Nemesor Zahndrekh
Vargard Obyron
Destroyer Lord - warscythe, sempiternal weave, minshackle scarabs

Harbinger of Eternity - chronometron
Harbinger of Transmogrification - seismic crucible
Harbinger of Destruction - gaze of flame
2x Harbinger of Destruction

5x Necron Lord - warscythe, mindshackle scarabs.

1000

2000 pts

Compel wrote:
Because in a universe where the basic weapon is a rocket propelled grenade machine gun, with gigantic battletanks, 5 kilometer long spaceships, huge robots and power armoured supersoldiers, the most powerful guy you want to field on a battlefield is a bloke in a pointy hat carrying a stick. 
   
Made in eu
Executing Exarch






 BayneMor wrote:
Farseer runes fortune guide
Wraithguard x10
Warlock conceal
Shadowsun (Tau HQ that gives shrouded and stealth)

should be less than 1000 points.


A little tweaking for this one.

Baron Sathonyx instead of Shadowsun.

Gives them stealth (for a 4+ cover with a conceal 'lock) defensive grenades (IIRC) and hit and run. And a 2++ at the front for soaking damages. Add Fuegan for a 2+ and his I7 str 5 ap2 axe.
I'd also add eldrad going for divination book powers so aiming for the 4++ and re-rolls.

Eldrad
Wraithguard + Conceal lock
Fuegan
Baron
Farseer + Fortune (hopefully being just beneath 1k)

So this ends up with avge T6, 3+, 4++, 4+cover, 2++ at the front. With all the saves being re-rollable and Fuegan for challenges. Damage output still isn't the best, but you need an insane amount of anything to take it down. I've run this (at 2k - double FOC) without the Baron - No one has managed to kill it in a game so far. Anything within 12" is dead.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 09:35:39


 Blacksails wrote:

Its because ordinance is still a word.
However, firing ordinance at someone isn't nearly as threatening as firing ordnance at someone.
Ordinance is a local law, or bill, or other form of legislation.
Ordnance is high caliber explosives.
No 'I' in ordnance.
Don't drown the enemy in legislation, drown them in explosives.
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







MarkyMark wrote:
Horrors, you dont need three conjurations really, you have enough LOS to protect from shooting and once they are in CC PSA has no effect, therefore I would suggest the other Loci's. Transmaj... etc and locus of change. d3 horror auto hits is a small fallback but it would be nice to see some palies die to it!, also the sd6 could be good rather then their base str3, yes its random but its chaos!. Personnaly I would have chosen a DP to lead/guard the horrors and hope for iron arm mainly for EW, palies will have a field day insta killing the LoC :(


Daemon prince, mark of tzeentch, wings, armour, mastery level 3 2 greater rewards, 1 lesser reward 355pts

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of conjuration exalted reward (grimourie)

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of change

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of transmogfrication

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF)

20 Horrors

1k pts dead

I would be hoping for iron arm enfeeble and possibly endurance (fnp for the horrors), greater rewards got to be plus 1 wound IWND and 4 plus FNP or re roll invul's and staff of change as the lesser gift for the DP and misfortune (or a couple at least) forewarning and of course prescience for the horror squad.

I am very interested in the outcome of this as I think, with enfeeble , the palies and tau will take a beating from one shooting phase. Also interested in the eldar vs daemons match up, this will all be down to dice though as runes will laugh at the daemons PSA and buffs debuffs :(

And dont forget, all the heralds shooting can be prescision on a 6, see that warding stave or hammer dude?, assign a few wounds to him, the tau dude with hit n run, assign a few to him etc.


Sadly, if you have more than one loci in a unit, it only takes the highest level's effect.
   
Made in us
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'





I'll be rooting for the Paladins. Though in these specific match ups I don't know how well they'll do.
   
Made in us
Hellion Hitting and Running






If these are only fighting other deathstars why do the tau battle suits need target locks? What other unit will they be fighting? Maybe change those to counter fire defense systems to protect against the assault because I am sure they will win any shooting fight. I also wonder if you want so many missile pods or to double up on plasma rifles. Plasma rifles will do more damage against every army but demons.

I don't know if I think demons or tau will win. I feel like it will all come down to a single turn when demons fails to get their 2++ save. Tau can sit in cover and get a 2+ cover save at all times which I think makes them the favorite.

I wonder if eldar needs to do anything to actually fight demons or just let demons generate powers and kill themselves from runes of warding?

My current prediction, tau beats everyone but demons, eldar beats everyone but tau, demons beats everyone but eldar, GK loses. Rock paper scissors for the win.

   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Evileyes wrote:
MarkyMark wrote:
Horrors, you dont need three conjurations really, you have enough LOS to protect from shooting and once they are in CC PSA has no effect, therefore I would suggest the other Loci's. Transmaj... etc and locus of change. d3 horror auto hits is a small fallback but it would be nice to see some palies die to it!, also the sd6 could be good rather then their base str3, yes its random but its chaos!. Personnaly I would have chosen a DP to lead/guard the horrors and hope for iron arm mainly for EW, palies will have a field day insta killing the LoC :(


Daemon prince, mark of tzeentch, wings, armour, mastery level 3 2 greater rewards, 1 lesser reward 355pts

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of conjuration exalted reward (grimourie)

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of change

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF) locus of transmogfrication

Herald, lvl 3 (two rolls on divi, one on tzeentch for FF)

20 Horrors

1k pts dead

I would be hoping for iron arm enfeeble and possibly endurance (fnp for the horrors), greater rewards got to be plus 1 wound IWND and 4 plus FNP or re roll invul's and staff of change as the lesser gift for the DP and misfortune (or a couple at least) forewarning and of course prescience for the horror squad.

I am very interested in the outcome of this as I think, with enfeeble , the palies and tau will take a beating from one shooting phase. Also interested in the eldar vs daemons match up, this will all be down to dice though as runes will laugh at the daemons PSA and buffs debuffs :(

And dont forget, all the heralds shooting can be prescision on a 6, see that warding stave or hammer dude?, assign a few wounds to him, the tau dude with hit n run, assign a few to him etc.


Sadly, if you have more than one loci in a unit, it only takes the highest level's effect.


Ah, didnt know that!, simple fix though, drop out the change locus (20pts) and put in blasted standard on the horrors, if they get assault let the herald with the locus die and use the lesser locus for d3 horrors.

40kGlobal AOA member, regular of Overlords podcast club and 4tk gaming store. Blogger @ http://sanguinesons.blogspot.co.uk/
06/2013: 1st at War of the Roses ETC warm up.
08/213: 3rd place double teams at 4tk
09/2013: 7th place, best daemon and non eldar/tau army at Northern Warlords GT
10/2013: 3rd/4th at Battlefield Birmingham
11/2013: 5th at GT heat 3
11/2013: 5th COG 2k at 4tk
01/2014: 34th at Caledonian
03/2014: 3rd GT Final 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




Another deathstar of CD codex that I find quite fun (probably not the most effective one though):

8 crushers, instrument, icon, icon of blood
1 champ, minor gift
Karanak
Skulltaker on Jugger
1 herald on Jugger (exalted reward and exalted loci)
1 herald on Jugger, minor gift

990 pts of scouting cavalry.

 
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control






Cincinnati, Ohio

I think I may have one:

Hammernator Demolition Squad

Darnath Lysander
Librarian - TDA, SS (Roll on biomancy/telepathy)

10x Assault Terminators - TH/SS
Land Raider Redeemer - MM & HK missile

1000

Notes: Load-out on the LR is tentative, they're just points fillers. Might consider dropping the gear for Lvl 2 on libby.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 11:51:36


Blood Ravens' 2nd Company (C:SM)
Homebrew Gabriel Angelos is back! - Please, feel free to download and send feedback


 
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User




Hey,

I'm new to this board but I've followed your battle reports for a while. I'm just wondering why the Eldar Harliestar(Eldrad and Fuegan) didn't make it?

CHeers
   
Made in nl
Confessor Of Sins






PredaKhaine wrote:
 BayneMor wrote:
Farseer runes fortune guide
Wraithguard x10
Warlock conceal
Shadowsun (Tau HQ that gives shrouded and stealth)

should be less than 1000 points.


A little tweaking for this one.

Baron Sathonyx instead of Shadowsun.

Gives them stealth (for a 4+ cover with a conceal 'lock) defensive grenades (IIRC) and hit and run. And a 2++ at the front for soaking damages. Add Fuegan for a 2+ and his I7 str 5 ap2 axe.
I'd also add eldrad going for divination book powers so aiming for the 4++ and re-rolls.

Eldrad
Wraithguard + Conceal lock
Fuegan
Baron
Farseer + Fortune (hopefully being just beneath 1k)

So this ends up with avge T6, 3+, 4++, 4+cover, 2++ at the front. With all the saves being re-rollable and Fuegan for challenges. Damage output still isn't the best, but you need an insane amount of anything to take it down. I've run this (at 2k - double FOC) without the Baron - No one has managed to kill it in a game so far. Anything within 12" is dead.


The Wraithguardstar is especailly potent if you get the power that lets you overwatch at full BS. You can't take a 2nd farseer though (unless it's double FOC)

Which means I usually just take the Codex powers, because Fortune > all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 12:28:26


Cratfworld Alaitoc (Gallery)
Order of the Red Mantle (Gallery)
Grand (little) Army of Chaos, now painting! (Blog
   
Made in eu
Executing Exarch






 Shandara wrote:
PredaKhaine wrote:
 BayneMor wrote:
Farseer runes fortune guide
Wraithguard x10
Warlock conceal
Shadowsun (Tau HQ that gives shrouded and stealth)

should be less than 1000 points.


A little tweaking for this one.

Baron Sathonyx instead of Shadowsun.

Gives them stealth (for a 4+ cover with a conceal 'lock) defensive grenades (IIRC) and hit and run. And a 2++ at the front for soaking damages. Add Fuegan for a 2+ and his I7 str 5 ap2 axe.
I'd also add eldrad going for divination book powers so aiming for the 4++ and re-rolls.

Eldrad
Wraithguard + Conceal lock
Fuegan
Baron
Farseer + Fortune (hopefully being just beneath 1k)

So this ends up with avge T6, 3+, 4++, 4+cover, 2++ at the front. With all the saves being re-rollable and Fuegan for challenges. Damage output still isn't the best, but you need an insane amount of anything to take it down. I've run this (at 2k - double FOC) without the Baron - No one has managed to kill it in a game so far. Anything within 12" is dead.


The Wraithguardstar is especailly potent if you get the power that lets you overwatch at full BS. You can't take a 2nd farseer though (unless it's double FOC)

Which means I usually just take the Codex powers, because Fortune > all.


Yeah, double FOC is good
Take a wraithseer for comedic effect = 4+FNP on them too. At at T6, they always get it bar instant death weapons.

Agreed - Fortune>BRB powers.

 Blacksails wrote:

Its because ordinance is still a word.
However, firing ordinance at someone isn't nearly as threatening as firing ordnance at someone.
Ordinance is a local law, or bill, or other form of legislation.
Ordnance is high caliber explosives.
No 'I' in ordnance.
Don't drown the enemy in legislation, drown them in explosives.
 
   
Made in pl
Horrific Howling Banshee




How much Dakka does this pinkstar have?

Apart from the Jetseer Council you can also try a Beastpack but it'll be 800 points max (if you only use 1 FoC)
Vect
Baron
Eldrad
Beastpack
-5 Beast Masters
-4 Khymeraes
-8 Razorwing Flocks

"I'm rather intrigued to discover that my opponent, who looks like a perfectly civilised person, is in fact mathematically capable" 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





macexor wrote:
How much Dakka does this pinkstar have?

Apart from the Jetseer Council you can also try a Beastpack but it'll be 800 points max (if you only use 1 FoC)
Vect
Baron
Eldrad
Beastpack
-5 Beast Masters
-4 Khymeraes
-8 Razorwing Flocks


Potentially, a lot!. Say you cast prescience and thats it, you will get up to 15d6 of bs4 twin linked (effectively) plus 4d6 of bs3 TL at str 6 and 2d6 of str4 auto hits with the blasted standard.

Say as a example you got prescience and misfortune on the horrors squad shooting at the Tau deathstar, ignoring enfeeble as that will greatly change things but is not 100%, (misfortune though you have 8 rolls to get it).

pass psyhic test for prescience on a 7 (yes I am rolling as examples, dont really do math hammer!), misfourtune passed not deined herald 1 with 2 warp charges passes on a 3, tau fail to deny, 2nd herald passes tau dont deny 3rd passes tau dont deny fourth passes tau dont deny and squad declares using the standard, passes and isnt denied

So all herlds have passed, thats a total of 14d6 amount of shots 56 shots, squad has 4d6 and thats 19 shots. To hit 49 hits with re roll 14 are precision shots and 11 hits from the squad, in total 60 wounds!. So yea a frigging lot of shots.

The precision shots of course go onto the suits 2 fail to wound so 12 left, assign 2 at a time to the normal suits 7 wounds with misfortune in effect, 3 dead suits, then assume the drones and forming a shield wall so 9 drones 10 wounds to kill all 9 drones, then say 2 plus suit is next takes 5 wound with re roll to put 2 wounds on him, all others are 3 plus saves, theres another 17 wounds.

In short, one shooting phase there are 36 wounds put onto the squad

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 14:16:31


40kGlobal AOA member, regular of Overlords podcast club and 4tk gaming store. Blogger @ http://sanguinesons.blogspot.co.uk/
06/2013: 1st at War of the Roses ETC warm up.
08/213: 3rd place double teams at 4tk
09/2013: 7th place, best daemon and non eldar/tau army at Northern Warlords GT
10/2013: 3rd/4th at Battlefield Birmingham
11/2013: 5th at GT heat 3
11/2013: 5th COG 2k at 4tk
01/2014: 34th at Caledonian
03/2014: 3rd GT Final 
   
Made in us
Major




Fortress of Solitude

How are you going to set up this scenario? I believe the board size should be fairly small to avoid the faster deathstars kiting the slower ones. Imagine Farsight running across the board in circles shooting the draigowing in pursuit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 14:06:52


Celesticon 2013 Warhammer 40k Tournament- Best General
Sydney August 2014 Warhammer 40k Tournament-Best General 
   
Made in us
[ARTICLE MOD]
Fixture of Dakka






Chicago

 ImotekhTheStormlord wrote:
How are you going to set up this scenario? I believe the board size should be fairly small to avoid the faster deathstars kiting the slower ones. Imagine Farsight running across the board in circles shooting the draigowing in pursuit.



Isn't one of the important things about a deathstar how they can control a game? I think it should be a 4x6 table with 24" between starting positions. If Farsight can kite Draigowing, then Farsight should win that matchup. (On the other hand, Draigowing has a lot of shooting too).

   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control






Cincinnati, Ohio

 ImotekhTheStormlord wrote:
How are you going to set up this scenario? I believe the board size should be fairly small to avoid the faster deathstars kiting the slower ones. Imagine Farsight running across the board in circles shooting the draigowing in pursuit.
The Hammerstar might actually catch up to that Farsight bomb, hope that Shadowsun doesn't end up infiltrated near the LR, and it doesn't throw a track, or get stuck in the mud, or get caught on a tree.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 15:08:44


Blood Ravens' 2nd Company (C:SM)
Homebrew Gabriel Angelos is back! - Please, feel free to download and send feedback


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Battle Reports
Go to: