Switch Theme:

Chaos Space Marine codex rumours and news.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine





 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
cole1114 wrote:Fix the NL's awful trait and I'd be happy, at the very least.

Seriously cole1114, if you want good rules for your Night Lords then you need to check out HH. That game has given the 8th Legion the best rules that they've ever had, IMHO.


They're... ok. I have trouble theory-crafting rules with them in HH. Terror Squads/Night Raptors not getting line in their RoW really shot all my plans tho I'm still workshopping ideas.

Anyway if the rest of the codex was better I could at least happily use a homebrew legion trait instead, when playing with friends. But as soon as I get to chosen or terminators I just get sad again and stop.

They're "ok"? A Talent For Murder works for both melee and shooting, and is achievable through multiple easy methods: Pin them, force a Fallback, and if you can't do those, just outnumber them. Which isn't hard for a Legion that heavily uses jump pack units, which are all Bulky(2). Preysight ignores ALL of the effects of Night Fighting, and can be given to ANY Night Lords unit, including dreadnoughts, which gives Night Lords the only dreadnoughts that can ignore the -1BS and 24" LoS restrictions of Night Fighting. And even if Night Fighting isn't in effect Preysight still ignores Shrouded, which is a very common defensive ability, including the benefit of one of the two Reactions in the Shooting Phase. Nostroman Chain Weapons are great, and so are Night Raptors and Terror Squads, even without Line as they can still Deny. You bring Assault and Recon squads for Line. And in a game where deep strike for Terminators is rare, we get TWO types of Terminators with it built in. These rules are even better than the rules Night Lords had in 3.5.


I don't like that preysight became a thing you have to buy. And I don't like that Kurze is basically a must-take. But most of all, I just like chaos more than I like basic marines.
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Chaos Sorcerer




The dark hollows of Kentucky

 cole1114 wrote:
Spoiler:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
cole1114 wrote:Fix the NL's awful trait and I'd be happy, at the very least.

Seriously cole1114, if you want good rules for your Night Lords then you need to check out HH. That game has given the 8th Legion the best rules that they've ever had, IMHO.


They're... ok. I have trouble theory-crafting rules with them in HH. Terror Squads/Night Raptors not getting line in their RoW really shot all my plans tho I'm still workshopping ideas.

Anyway if the rest of the codex was better I could at least happily use a homebrew legion trait instead, when playing with friends. But as soon as I get to chosen or terminators I just get sad again and stop.

They're "ok"? A Talent For Murder works for both melee and shooting, and is achievable through multiple easy methods: Pin them, force a Fallback, and if you can't do those, just outnumber them. Which isn't hard for a Legion that heavily uses jump pack units, which are all Bulky(2). Preysight ignores ALL of the effects of Night Fighting, and can be given to ANY Night Lords unit, including dreadnoughts, which gives Night Lords the only dreadnoughts that can ignore the -1BS and 24" LoS restrictions of Night Fighting. And even if Night Fighting isn't in effect Preysight still ignores Shrouded, which is a very common defensive ability, including the benefit of one of the two Reactions in the Shooting Phase. Nostroman Chain Weapons are great, and so are Night Raptors and Terror Squads, even without Line as they can still Deny. You bring Assault and Recon squads for Line. And in a game where deep strike for Terminators is rare, we get TWO types of Terminators with it built in. These rules are even better than the rules Night Lords had in 3.5.


I don't like that preysight became a thing you have to buy. And I don't like that Kurze is basically a must-take. But most of all, I just like chaos more than I like basic marines.

You have to pay for Preysight because it's so much stronger now. And Curze is no more of a "must-take" than any other primarch. The Legion functions just fine without him.

The last part I can understand. Not getting to play your Obliterators, Daemon Engines, etc can be a big issue if you love using those units. You can get a "bit" of Chaos in 30k Night Lords by bringing a Legion Esoterist for some Daemon summoning, or some Word Bearers allies. But I can totally understand that those aren't the same.
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine





 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
Spoiler:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
cole1114 wrote:Fix the NL's awful trait and I'd be happy, at the very least.

Seriously cole1114, if you want good rules for your Night Lords then you need to check out HH. That game has given the 8th Legion the best rules that they've ever had, IMHO.


They're... ok. I have trouble theory-crafting rules with them in HH. Terror Squads/Night Raptors not getting line in their RoW really shot all my plans tho I'm still workshopping ideas.

Anyway if the rest of the codex was better I could at least happily use a homebrew legion trait instead, when playing with friends. But as soon as I get to chosen or terminators I just get sad again and stop.

They're "ok"? A Talent For Murder works for both melee and shooting, and is achievable through multiple easy methods: Pin them, force a Fallback, and if you can't do those, just outnumber them. Which isn't hard for a Legion that heavily uses jump pack units, which are all Bulky(2). Preysight ignores ALL of the effects of Night Fighting, and can be given to ANY Night Lords unit, including dreadnoughts, which gives Night Lords the only dreadnoughts that can ignore the -1BS and 24" LoS restrictions of Night Fighting. And even if Night Fighting isn't in effect Preysight still ignores Shrouded, which is a very common defensive ability, including the benefit of one of the two Reactions in the Shooting Phase. Nostroman Chain Weapons are great, and so are Night Raptors and Terror Squads, even without Line as they can still Deny. You bring Assault and Recon squads for Line. And in a game where deep strike for Terminators is rare, we get TWO types of Terminators with it built in. These rules are even better than the rules Night Lords had in 3.5.


I don't like that preysight became a thing you have to buy. And I don't like that Kurze is basically a must-take. But most of all, I just like chaos more than I like basic marines.

You have to pay for Preysight because it's so much stronger now. And Curze is no more of a "must-take" than any other primarch. The Legion functions just fine without him.

The last part I can understand. Not getting to play your Obliterators, Daemon Engines, etc can be a big issue if you love using those units. You can get a "bit" of Chaos in 30k Night Lords by bringing a Legion Esoterist for some Daemon summoning, or some Word Bearers allies. But I can totally understand that those aren't the same.


It's not even so much the chaos units as the chaos feel. It's hard to really explain in detail, I guess. To be clear, I do want to play them in HH, I would rather just have a good chaos night lords army than a good HH night lords army. Like, if terror squads were a 40k thing, I'd be happier about them than in HH where I feel like I'm better off not even really taking the unique units to do what I want.
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator





 cole1114 wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
Spoiler:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 cole1114 wrote:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
cole1114 wrote:Fix the NL's awful trait and I'd be happy, at the very least.

Seriously cole1114, if you want good rules for your Night Lords then you need to check out HH. That game has given the 8th Legion the best rules that they've ever had, IMHO.


They're... ok. I have trouble theory-crafting rules with them in HH. Terror Squads/Night Raptors not getting line in their RoW really shot all my plans tho I'm still workshopping ideas.

Anyway if the rest of the codex was better I could at least happily use a homebrew legion trait instead, when playing with friends. But as soon as I get to chosen or terminators I just get sad again and stop.

They're "ok"? A Talent For Murder works for both melee and shooting, and is achievable through multiple easy methods: Pin them, force a Fallback, and if you can't do those, just outnumber them. Which isn't hard for a Legion that heavily uses jump pack units, which are all Bulky(2). Preysight ignores ALL of the effects of Night Fighting, and can be given to ANY Night Lords unit, including dreadnoughts, which gives Night Lords the only dreadnoughts that can ignore the -1BS and 24" LoS restrictions of Night Fighting. And even if Night Fighting isn't in effect Preysight still ignores Shrouded, which is a very common defensive ability, including the benefit of one of the two Reactions in the Shooting Phase. Nostroman Chain Weapons are great, and so are Night Raptors and Terror Squads, even without Line as they can still Deny. You bring Assault and Recon squads for Line. And in a game where deep strike for Terminators is rare, we get TWO types of Terminators with it built in. These rules are even better than the rules Night Lords had in 3.5.


I don't like that preysight became a thing you have to buy. And I don't like that Kurze is basically a must-take. But most of all, I just like chaos more than I like basic marines.

You have to pay for Preysight because it's so much stronger now. And Curze is no more of a "must-take" than any other primarch. The Legion functions just fine without him.

The last part I can understand. Not getting to play your Obliterators, Daemon Engines, etc can be a big issue if you love using those units. You can get a "bit" of Chaos in 30k Night Lords by bringing a Legion Esoterist for some Daemon summoning, or some Word Bearers allies. But I can totally understand that those aren't the same.


It's not even so much the chaos units as the chaos feel. It's hard to really explain in detail, I guess. To be clear, I do want to play them in HH, I would rather just have a good chaos night lords army than a good HH night lords army. Like, if terror squads were a 40k thing, I'd be happier about them than in HH where I feel like I'm better off not even really taking the unique units to do what I want.


Beyond bringing an Esoterist, the Word Bearers allied detachment is a good idea. What you could do is paint them in a Night Lords detachment and say that they are a special unit of Chaos-corrupted Night Lords. Take a Diabolist as the HQ and have a unit or two of tac support Marines with plasma guns that are updated to warpfire blasters. You could also take a unit or two of Gal Vorbak. Since none of these units are scoring units anyway, the fact that the Word Bearers and Night Lords are Distrusted Allies won't matter.

Come here for all the best Warhammer and fandom AI-generated art: https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerAI/ 
   
Made in de
Fleshound of Khorne




Bremen (Germany)

Another sunday, another no Possessed Day.

My tabletop-blog (in german):
http://kubitabletop.wordpress.com 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Lord_Valorion wrote:
Another sunday, another no Possessed Day.


The current rumor is that the gribbly chaos release is pushed to the end of this month :/
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




 Lord_Valorion wrote:
Another sunday, another no Possessed Day.


Rumor was that they're not going to be until the end of august.
Wouldn't be surprised if they come out alongside the Daemon book at this point, along with Combat Patrols for Nurgle and Khorne. (Their start collecting boxes are gone from the website). One last chaos push.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




And still no FAQ/errata either.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






This is the waiting before the seeing.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Lord Damocles wrote:
This is the waiting before the seeing.

Maybe the FAQ/Errata is taking so long because they're trying to rectify their mistakes LOL
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

There was never any Possessed, just like there was never any Cursed City.

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Chaos Sorcerer




The dark hollows of Kentucky

EviscerationPlague wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
This is the waiting before the seeing.

Maybe the FAQ/Errata is taking so long because they're trying to rectify their mistakes LOL

They already doubled down on those with the Legends PDF. Still no FAQ for our fw units either.

Oh well, way more interested in when the FAQ for HH is coming. Just how does an Ordnance weapon with Armourbane work......
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Gadzilla666 wrote:
EviscerationPlague wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
This is the waiting before the seeing.

Maybe the FAQ/Errata is taking so long because they're trying to rectify their mistakes LOL

They already doubled down on those with the Legends PDF. Still no FAQ for our fw units either.

Oh well, way more interested in when the FAQ for HH is coming. Just how does an Ordnance weapon with Armourbane work......

Ordnance rerolls a die and Armorbane rolls two dice total, right?

I don't remember anymore haha
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
There was never any Possessed, just like there was never any Cursed City.


Wow, that re-release really fell out of the world.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Chaos Sorcerer




The dark hollows of Kentucky

EviscerationPlague wrote:
Spoiler:
 Gadzilla666 wrote:
EviscerationPlague wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
This is the waiting before the seeing.

Maybe the FAQ/Errata is taking so long because they're trying to rectify their mistakes LOL

They already doubled down on those with the Legends PDF. Still no FAQ for our fw units either.

Oh well, way more interested in when the FAQ for HH is coming. Just how does an Ordnance weapon with Armourbane work......

Ordnance rerolls a die and Armorbane rolls two dice total, right?

I don't remember anymore haha

Close. Ordnance is roll two dice, keep the highest. Armourbane is roll two dice, and add them together. And understandable that you'd forget. Probably too busy trying to remember what happens when you combine: unit(X)+trait(Y)+relic(Z)+stratagem(D)+psychic power(Q)+......
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

I think Ordnance was changed to “Roll one extra, discard one”

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






I am OK if GW needs to delay a few months before releasing all of the kit options in a new book. What I disagree with is the total silence on when that will be.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.

I try to view Warhammer as more of a toolbox with examples than fully complete games. 
   
Made in us
Lord of the Fleet






London

   
Made in gb
Never Forget Isstvan!






0/10, not enough chains.
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Chosen Marine Riding a Fiend





Gurnee, IL

Only 2 skulls? Disappointed.

Actually, pretty nice and not so different that if you have say some Beserkers converted up with AOS Khorne bits they'll still look cohesive in the army or unit.

"Fear the cute ones." 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut



Bamberg / Erlangen

Got to say I'm kinda disappointed after all that time waiting. Feels very generic to me. Without the sculpted Khorne symbols it could be just any other modern CSM sculpt.

I do hope the remaining squad got some more character.

   
Made in eu
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




Southampton, UK

Not bad - possibly looks a bit too clean? Am I just too used to spikes and ornate embellishments everywhere?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





It looks nice, but it is very clean. Especially the helmet. Needs some more spikes.

Also, how do beserkers not chop off their bunny ears?
   
Made in de
Fully-charged Electropriest






Well, yes, a bit clean. But I'm glad it's not encrusted with details that you could add later if you want. It would be more difficult vice versa.
   
Made in gb
Thermo-Optical Hac Tao





Gosport, UK

I like it. I was worried we were gonna get super busy AoS style Khorne sculpts - I’ll take a little bit cleaner than expected!
   
Made in de
World-Weary Pathfinder





Looks amazing, I like it

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Well keep in mind THIS one is a bit clean. Doesn't mean the others in the kit won't have overbling.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Interestingly, the shoulder pads have the same grooves that CSM units have, but Thousand Sons and Death Guard lack them.

Strangely, Kharn's model has one shoulder pad that is also missing a groove. That debuted around the time of the current Raptors, who also lack grooved shoulder pads (despite releasing after DV, which featured Chosen that debuted the unique shoulder pads.)

Dang you GW and your inconsistency
   
Made in us
Painlord Titan Princeps of Slaanesh




 GaroRobe wrote:
It looks nice, but it is very clean. Especially the helmet. Needs some more spikes.

Also, how do beserkers not chop off their bunny ears?


Those aren't ears they're ammo clips for their AR 15s. Seriously look at them and tell me I'm wrong.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






a_typical_hero wrote:
Got to say I'm kinda disappointed after all that time waiting. Feels very generic to me. Without the sculpted Khorne symbols it could be just any other modern CSM sculpt.

I do hope the remaining squad got some more character.


I quite like it. Of the 4 cult troops, Berzerkers are the ones with the least reason to deviate in terms of appearance from standard chaos troops. Noise marines have augmentations and sonic doodads, rubrics are rune encrusted dust canisters, and plague marines are half man, half armor, and half rot. Khorne makes do with some chains, skulls, axes, and bad attitude.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: