Switch Theme:

LoER Terrain Comp: R 9 - Elementary - The Results  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

The =L=eague of Extraordinary Riveters
Terrain Competition: Round 9° - Elementary

Welcome to the 9th round of the League of Extraordinary Riveters Terrain Competition.

The present Round’s theme is The Five Elements. Fire, earth, water, metal and wood constitute one of the classical sets of essential principles that constitute everything, and, as such, will be the base for the next challenge.

There are no other constraints: Size does not matter, nor do scale or game systems, all options are open on those accounts. Imagination and creativity are the only limits.

Rules:

(These will be updated and/or clarified as required)

1. Main requisite: The Five Elements - Fire, Earth, Water, Metal and Wood - must be represented on the final build.
2. Size does not matter.
3. Game system and scale have no restrictions whatsoever, all are welcome. Complete dioramas (as opposed to a usable in-game terrain piece) are also allowed.
4. Materials: All is permitted. Kits and bits are allowed, but remember scratch building and creative and inventive use of materials are part of the spirit of the Comp, and are regarded in the scoring.
5. WIP’s: Only an initial, unpainted, pic is required, but you are encouraged to post further WIP photos in this thread as well as on your personal Plogs.
Both sharing progress and giving feedback are a fundamental part of the Comps, so don’t refrain on these.
6. Final entry: Please DO NOT post your final entry in this thread (the submission procedure will be updated towards the Comp’s end)
Pictures are important. This is not a photography contest, but judging will be carried on upon the pics submitted, and the effort put in photographing a piece has its own rewards.
6 photos (front, both sides, back, top and scale) are the minimum requirement for the final entry. More, as many as wanted or needed, are allowed.
7. Rule of cool: Self-explanatory.
8. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Running time:

Comp starts with the present post, and finishes midnight 11th May 2014.

I think two months is a fair running time, and would like not to extend it, though it is not absolutely ruled out at this moment.

Judging:

Points will be awarded on the following criteria:

Modelling (For a total of possible 30 points)

10 points: Materials. Scratch building outweighs bought kits; and recycling is encouraged. Creative uses of old or not traditional materials have a strong impact on this category as well.
10 points: Design. Lay out, balance, and creativity.
10 points: Overall Modelling: Detailing, tidiness, gap-filling and whatnot that make a well built piece.

Painting (For a total of 40 points)

10 Points: Basic, solid, paintwork. Neatness and crispiness. Basically, brush control
10 Points: Colour scheme and composition
10 Points: Effects: Texturing, weathering and the like.
10 Points: Advanced techniques: Wet blending, feathering, OSL, and all and any other upper tier painting skills displayed.

Impression & Interpretation (For a total of 20 points)

20 Points: Overall impression of the model and good representation of the theme.

Judge’s Rule of Cool (For a total of 10 points)

10 Points: To we awarded fully at the Judges’ discretion, coolness, creativity, out-of-the-bow thinking and doing something that has not been seen before are rewarded on this item.

Judges

> Littletower
> Ruglud
> inmygravenimage

Prizes

First and most, League of Extraordinary Riveters lifelong Membership, accompanied by the honour and pride of winning (And believe me, having just won the previous Round, those are really something!), and according bragging rights.

I will also build my own take at the theme, to be given as complimentary price to the winner.

Participants (Updated 04/19/14)

> Briancj
> Camkierhi
> chiefbigredman
> commissarbob
> Eggs
> El-Torrminator
> EyeamRai (Withdrawn)
> Flying Pooo
> gunslingerpro
> granander
> JackDarkmoore (Withdrawn)
> Llamahead
> mad_eddy_13
> MagosBiff90 (Withdrawn)
> mars2024
> monkeytroll
> M0rdain
> plastictrees
> Red Harvest (Provisionally)
> SilverMK2
> Snurb
> tinker
> Viktor Von Doom
> zammerak

FAQs will we added and updated on demand.

If anyone has any question or comment, please post it here or PM me and I'll try to answer ASAP.

Good luck to all who enter, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

LT

PS: Go ahead and please, spread the word, and invite all those who you think might want to take part!

Last Edit (04/19): Updated List of Participants

This message was edited 23 times. Last update was at 2014/05/16 23:55:21

Made in gb
Gargantuan Great Squiggoth

Not where I should be

I am in. LOL.

Don't think I stand a chance after the standard you all set in the last round.

Made in us
Crushing Black Templar Crusader Pilot

Arizona

Wait... Rivets aren't an element?

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head. - Maxim 12 - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Check out my painting and modeling blog here! Currently I'm working on getting my painting set up... set up.

Made in ca
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!

I am intrigued and find my mind aglow with crystalline fragments of inspiration.

I'm in, so many ideas, this will be fun

{url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/675142.page]{img]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/11/8/429237_md-.jpg{/img]{/url]

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

Rivets are the quintessential extra element that hold the universe together. Without rivets, everything would just fall apart and dissolve to naught

@Camkierhi: Was counting on that, glad you area in

@xXWeaponPrimeXx: See above! Does that mean that you are in too?

@mad_eddy_13: Glad you find it inspiring, and welcome aboard!

Just keep coming!

Cheers

Made in de
Shroomin Brain Boy

Berlin Germany

Hmmm....this will be a tough nut...I have currently no idea what an entry could look like...

In a nutshell: each entry should have representative items of the elements included, does this mean real fire and water or only convincing aspects of the piece must look like the real McCoy? I think I need the dummies manual for this one...but do count me in

Cheers, vik

Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut

Mostly, on my phone.

Interesting plan. You are some kind of crazy person ...

Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.

Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka

6 foot underwater

Intriguing....pencil me in - I'll try and come up with a small enough concept that I'll be able to complete it......

cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

Made in gb
Omnious Orc Shaman

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

Here we go again

Intrigued to see what you all come up with... When LT first proposed the idea I had a moment of inspiration and would love to see if anyone comes up with something similar to my crazed imagining... Now to sit back and watch...

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh and for some additional inspiration...

I might have missed a couple of elements here though...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/03/08 20:37:44

Made in gb
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God

Inside your mind, corrupting the pathways

I will enter and hope to actually finish this time

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

Viktor von Domm wrote:In a nutshell: each entry should have representative items of the elements included, does this mean real fire and water or only convincing aspects of the piece must look like the real McCoy? I think I need the dummies manual for this one...but do count me in

That would be AWESOME, but no, not the real thing, just represented on the piece...

As much as I would love to see a working piece displaying the five elements, I'd say fire and water, in particular, should better be kept away of the reach of (overgrown) children...

Good to have you on board, BtW, I know you'll come up with something soon enough!

inmygravenimage wrote:Interesting plan. You are some kind of crazy person ...

I am, and proud of it. Certifiably so, since I got my LoER Badge too!

(Now, that left me wondering: what does that say of the rest of the Club? )

And to make it publicly official, thank you for your offer, and welcome to the Judge's Panel!

monkeytroll wrote:Intriguing....pencil me in - I'll try and come up with a small enough concept that I'll be able to complete it......

Welcome! And I know you can do it!

Ruglud wrote:Here we go again

Thanks for the support, it's great to have you around!

SilverMK2 wrote:I will enter and hope to actually finish this time

Great to count you in!

A good start, I'd say, thanks to all for your support!

Now, hands on, people, lets get some creativity flowing!

Cheers

Made in us
Combat Jumping Ragik

Beyond the Beltway

Hmm, earth and water... piece of cake. The rest... oh. Given RL constraints, I may or may not be all in. I'll know soon enough. I'll be watching though, at the very least. Use of water though... so tempting...

Cool idea too. Don't forget to update your terrain competition link in your sig everybody.

It should look like this {url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/583702.page#6613760]{img]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/11/8/429237_md-.jpg[/img}[/url}
only replace the '{' with '['

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/03/08 23:46:06

Made in de
Shroomin Brain Boy

Berlin Germany

Ok, thanks for clarifying! And thus I have an idea now...but that needs still to be left secret...

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh and for the rest...members are complete bonkers...I thought everyone knew???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/03/08 22:45:22

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

@Red Harvest: Good to have you tempted with the theme, just hope you can join in. I'll put you down, tentatively, if that's OK with you (No pressure, )

Thanks for the sig code, too

@Vik: I knew you'd do! And it is OK to hold it secret for a while, just don't keep us in the dark for too long!

Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Bloodletter

NE England

Is this open to anyone? I might be interested.

1500
1500
Harlequins: 1500
AoS
HH AL: 2500

Assorted painting blog:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/495003.page

Made in us
Combat Jumping Ragik

Beyond the Beltway

Yes it is El-Torrminator. I asked the same thing on the previous contest and heard a resounding yes as an answer. So, jump in.

I'm thinking waterfall, which is something I've been meaning to build anyway. Like this

But water effects take forever.

Well, I'll start the process, but no promises about finishing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/03/08 23:44:00

Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Bloodletter

NE England

In which case, I'm in.

1500
1500
Harlequins: 1500
AoS
HH AL: 2500

Assorted painting blog:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/495003.page

Made in se
Focused Dark Angels Land Raider Pilot

Skovde, Sweden

Well, I came in late the last time and Littletower was friendly enough to poke me so why not... worst case I don't finish but it's more about having fun than finishing so

I'm in! I do have an idea but I am going to work a bit on it before I give anything away.

// Andreas

Dark Angels 4th Company (3,830pts) 950pts fully painted

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

@Red Harvest: A waterfall was one of the things that first came up to my mind mind when thinking about the theme, I'd surely love to see your take at that

@El-Torrminator: Great, good to have on board!

@granander: Cheers to friendly poking then Glad you joined in!

 Littletower wrote:

@xXWeaponPrimeXx: See above! Does that mean that you are in too?

Unfortunately, no. I need to work on my Chem-Dogs

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head. - Maxim 12 - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Check out my painting and modeling blog here! Currently I'm working on getting my painting set up... set up.

Made in eu
Furious Raptor

Greece

Hail Company!

I haven't found a solid idea yet... I'll sleep on it...
Still plenty of time to make an official entry. I'll watch this thread closely!

have fun guys!

Astra Militarum
Iron Warriors Army: Enyo Company
Enyo (Greek: Ενυώ, English translation: "warlike" in Greek mythology; Roman: Bellona), was an ancient goddess of war, acting as a counterpart and companion to the war god Ares. She is also identified as his sister, and daughter of Zeus and Hera in a role closely resembling that of Eris; with Homer in particular representing the two as the same goddess. As goddess of war, Enyo is responsible for orchestrating the destruction of cities
Death Korps of Krieg

Made in ar
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot

By the foot of the Andes

@xXWeaponPrimeXx: Bad for us, good for them . Just know there's always a place here if you change your mind later on

@Jack: Welcome aboard, glad to see you around. And don't worry (yet! ), ideas will surely come about!

Tinker is also in, and giving it a though, so I'd say it's rolling

And just to keep things warm:

Cheers.

Made in gb
Member of a Lodge? I Can't Say

Clacks Scotland

Pen me in Please! Good subject matter! Can see this being a very inventive and out of the box comp!!

Oh...... small point.... but i feel left out..... how do i go about getting the "Terrain Project" Banner in my signature..... ( I am ofcourse assuming that my participation in this and the previous round) allows me the banner in my signature!

Cheers Guys,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/03/10 13:25:30

As my father once said to me : You cant polish a turd... but you can roll it in glitter!
MY P&M BLOG:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/543290.page#5900175

Made in se
Focused Dark Angels Land Raider Pilot

Skovde, Sweden

Hahaha... a couple of days in and I had already forgot it was a terrain contest

My first idea was a steampowered mech of wood and metal... that would have been all elements in one model. But alas, not a terrainpiece

BUT, I have come up with another idea so we are still good.

// Andreas

Dark Angels 4th Company (3,830pts) 950pts fully painted

Made in us
The Hive Mind

I have a brilliant idea but nowhere near the skills to do it... Or the time (selling my house and buying a new one)
Sigh.

My beautiful wife wrote:Trucks = Carnifex snack, Tanks = meals.

Made in ca
Plastictrees

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'll have a go.

Made in gb
Omnious Orc Shaman

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

MagosBiff90 wrote:Pen me in Please! Good subject matter! Can see this being a very inventive and out of the box comp!!

Oh...... small point.... but i feel left out..... how do i go about getting the "Terrain Project" Banner in my signature..... ( I am ofcourse assuming that my participation in this and the previous round) allows me the banner in my signature!

Cheers Guys,

He's in

To add the terrain comp banner, go to your user profile page and add the following to your signature, replacing the { with [ and } with ] ;
It should look like this {url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/583702.page#6612857]{img]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/11/8/429237_md-.jpg[/img}[/url}
(instructions courtesy of Red Harvest)

granander wrote:Hahaha... a couple of days in and I had already forgot it was a terrain contest

My first idea was a steampowered mech of wood and metal... that would have been all elements in one model. But alas, not a terrainpiece

BUT, I have come up with another idea so we are still good.

Why not a steampowered mech that no longer moves

rigeld2 wrote:I have a brilliant idea but nowhere near the skills to do it... Or the time (selling my house and buying a new one)
Sigh.

No excuses now... Far too early in the comp for those...

plastictrees wrote:I'll have a go.

Now that's the spirit

Made in us
Smokin' Skorcha Driver

Central MN

I'm in! I followed the last one but was too late to finish, I'm jumping in!

SRSFACE wrote: Every Ork player I know is a really, really cool person.
20,000 New and Growing 1000
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/592194.page#6769789

Made in au
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran

Melbourne, Australia

Hmm. I'll toss my hat into the ring.

I may have something in mind...

"Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath"
Guilliman and the Ultramarines are like Manchester United, everyone hates them because they are so awesome!

Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps

Earlobe deep in doo doo

Yeah sod it I'll join in got a vague idea for a piece.

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71

Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to: