Switch Theme:

[Modiphius] Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - Liberty Prime Incoming! p.53  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'




Alaska

So are these going to be kits that allow for a lot of customization or high-detail but mono-pose figurines? Either way is cool.

YELL REAL LOUD AN' CARRY A BIG CHOPPA! 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Tamereth wrote:

Also all the types of robots. ALL OF THEM.


What even the ones from the DLC? They would have to either make a HIPS kit for that or make all the arms legs heads etc separate as you could kitbash your own robots.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Legendary Master of the Chapter





UK

overtyrant wrote:
 Tamereth wrote:

Also all the types of robots. ALL OF THEM.


What even the ones from the DLC? They would have to either make a HIPS kit for that or make all the arms legs heads etc separate as you could kitbash your own robots.


I'd love an Automatron pack that just has a ton of robot bitz to mix and match. Say a set that let you build a stock Sentry/Handy/Gutsy/Assaultron/Robobrain but that was modular enough to create some more wacky combos if you wanted would be awesome. Multi-part resin models aren't exactly impossible or that difficult to work with, so long as it was designed carefully it wouldn't be too fiddly.

Failing that, it's time to break out the mini saw, because dual-gatling-laser Sentry Bot Codsworth must rise again!

   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





CO

I too am hoping the basic human models are closer to 30mm size than 32mm, just to fit in better with what I have for TNT.

Look forward to hearing the press release.

~iPaint

iPaint's Workbench - a blog for all of my painting endeavors
Currently painting: 20mm WW2, 28mm Zombicide
In the pipeline: 28mm Reaper Bones, Dwarven Forge Game Tiles 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






 Paradigm wrote:
overtyrant wrote:
 Tamereth wrote:

Also all the types of robots. ALL OF THEM.


What even the ones from the DLC? They would have to either make a HIPS kit for that or make all the arms legs heads etc separate as you could kitbash your own robots.


I'd love an Automatron pack that just has a ton of robot bitz to mix and match. Say a set that let you build a stock Sentry/Handy/Gutsy/Assaultron/Robobrain but that was modular enough to create some more wacky combos if you wanted would be awesome. Multi-part resin models aren't exactly impossible or that difficult to work with, so long as it was designed carefully it wouldn't be too fiddly.

Failing that, it's time to break out the mini saw, because dual-gatling-laser Sentry Bot Codsworth must rise again!


All my Dreadball Xtreme robots that are still sitting in bags have suddenly found their purpose

"The Omnissiah is my Moderati" 
   
Made in ie
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

 Shadow Captain Edithae wrote:
Yeah, if these are 32mm then they aren't going to mesh well with the one hundred or so 28mm Fallout miniatures I've already done for This is Not a Test. If I get this game I'm going to treat it as a completely seperate self contained game rather than add the miniatures to my existing collection.


Exactly. My uncle has the exact same problem his LOTR minis and Warhammer Fantasy stuff... they just don't look right alongside eachother. And that's not even due to a different scale -just the the difference in bulk between "heroic" and "standard" 28mm scale.

I honestly don't get how designers can choose unusual scales like this one. I get that you can have higher detail / more impressive figures, etc, but surely it's just excluding the majority of potential buyers: Not only are the figures going to be incompatable with the vast majority of miniature collections, the same applies to terrain. And whatever about investing in a proprietary set of miniatures, I know very few hobbyists who would b willing to invest in a set of 32mm terrain in addition to their existing 28mm collection.


I let the dogs out 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Pretty much everything is 32mm. Actual 28mm stuff tends to look tiny these days
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 thegreatchimp wrote:
 Shadow Captain Edithae wrote:
Yeah, if these are 32mm then they aren't going to mesh well with the one hundred or so 28mm Fallout miniatures I've already done for This is Not a Test. If I get this game I'm going to treat it as a completely seperate self contained game rather than add the miniatures to my existing collection.


Exactly. My uncle has the exact same problem his LOTR minis and Warhammer Fantasy stuff... they just don't look right alongside eachother. And that's not even due to a different scale -just the the difference in bulk between "heroic" and "standard" 28mm scale.

I honestly don't get how designers can choose unusual scales like this one. I get that you can have higher detail / more impressive figures, etc, but surely it's just excluding the majority of potential buyers: Not only are the figures going to be incompatable with the vast majority of miniature collections, the same applies to terrain. And whatever about investing in a proprietary set of miniatures, I know very few hobbyists who would b willing to invest in a set of 32mm terrain in addition to their existing 28mm collection.



Both and over reaction here.

They will mesh fine. Don't get what "hundreds" of minis for This is not a Test your speaking of. . 28mm and 32 is pretty close that there isn't going to be some huge difference. Anything ive used for This is not a test has been heroic 28 or 32, so not issue.

LOTR was never supposed to be compatible in size for warhammer fantasy. That's how they wanted you to buy separate figs. Plus aesthetically, lotr and fantasy are not even close.

32 is very standard for minis now a days.

Terrain is also a non issue. any 28mm terrain is the exact same use for 32mm.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

What most people posting on Dakka Dakka mean by "28mm" is closer to 32mm or taller when you actually measure it. LotR figures tend to be closer to 28mm and are significantly smaller than 40k/WHFB figures.

Modiphius's 28mm Achtung Cthulhu figures are small compared to almost every other brand of fig I bought for pulp gaming - everything from Brigade Games, to Rafm, to Reaper, and on and on and on.

The right choice for this FO game is definitely 32mm.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/04/24 14:19:06


   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







Is "Modiphius" basically one or two people and then a whole lot of 'freelancers'?
   
Made in gb
Darkwolf



West Sussex, UK

 Alpharius wrote:
Is "Modiphius" basically one or two people and then a whole lot of 'freelancers'?


http://www.modiphius.com/about.html

They were when they first started but have expanded a lot since then. The Scultpers are freelance (and they are currently looking for me as per Facebook post a week or so back if anyone wants to try and get in to sculpt an official Fallout mini).

They are also looking for a miniature wargame manager to run that side of things.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/04/24 14:27:37


 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Boston, MA

Regardless of how well the rules turn out, those renders look great and I'll be happy to have some BoS guys on my shelf.

Check out my Youtube channel!
 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Alpharius wrote:Is "Modiphius" basically one or two people and then a whole lot of 'freelancers'?


It started off as me and Rita in our basement flat 4 years ago, we're now 7 full time in the london office and another 7 full time who work remotely and about 100 freelancers around the world who are writers, designers, layout, editors, sculptors, game designers etc etc (some full time, some part time, some just doing the odd bit) . It can be pretty mental managing everyone but also fantastic to know we're keeping people employed doing what they love.

We've actually got 14 sculptors working across Fallout, Star Trek, John Carter of Mars, Achtung! Cthulhu and Siege of the Citadel but we've been keeping quiet about Fallout for a long time to just get on with it and make a lot of cool stuff before we shouted about it.

It's pretty mental looking back and how it grew - you look around and suddenly there's all these people doing stuff :-)





Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish Game
http://www.modiphius.com/achtung-cthulhu-skirmish.html
FALLOUT: Wasteland Warfare
http://www.modiphius.com/fallout.html


 
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard



UK

TAKE MY MONEY!!!
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

 Manchu wrote:
What most people posting on Dakka Dakka mean by "28mm" is closer to 32mm or taller when you actually measure it. LotR figures tend to be closer to 28mm and are significantly smaller than 40k/WHFB figures.

Modiphius's 28mm Achtung Cthulhu figures are small compared to almost every other brand of fig I bought for pulp gaming - everything from Brigade Games, to Rafm, to Reaper, and on and on and on.

The right choice for this FO game is definitely 32mm.


I agree completely. What most people think is 28mm is actually 32mm, this game is following a standard for a lot of sci-fi and fantasy stuff. Just hoping it will scale with Brother Vinni's range now!

Very, very excited about this game

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Dankhold Troggoth






Shadeglass Maze

On the size, as long as they don't stretch the 32mm into 35mm, I think it will work fine. But gotta stop that slippery slope somewhere
   
Made in ie
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

str00dles1 wrote:

32 is very standard for minis now a days....Terrain is also a non issue. any 28mm terrain is the exact same use for 32mm.
Sorry, I'm genuinely confused -what games use 32mm miniatures? Would 28mm terrain not look small alongside a 32mm figure? From what I'm gathering, are you saying 32mm is just a more proportionally correct representaiton of 28mm? Or is it bulkier in all proportions?

I let the dogs out 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Infiltrating Prowler





Portland, OR

 thegreatchimp wrote:
Sorry, I'm genuinely confused -what games use 32mm miniatures? Would 28mm terrain not look small alongside a 32mm figure? From what I'm gathering, are you saying 32mm is just a more proportionally correct representaiton of 28mm? Or is it bulkier in all proportions?
That is about correct. There are 28mm miniatures, they tend to be more widely used for historical wargames though. Then there is 28mm heroic is more exaggerated proportions, bigger limbs, guns (WH40K). There is a crossbreed which is about 32mm but still heroic to some degrees (Hordes, War Machine). Then you 32mm which have more standard body proportions (Infinity).

Ultimately people are different heights, so having different sizes actually looks more natural. Where it starts to look odd is when you start mixing 28mm Heroic with 32mm because of body proportions.

Examples
Spoiler:

Infinity (28-32mm, early sculpts were closer to 28-30mm, while newer have gone 32mm), Code Zero (32mm), Code Zero (32mm), AvP (32mm), Black Plague (32mm)


WH40K (28mm heroic), Infinity (32mm), WarmaHorde (30mm), Relic Knight (30mm), Relic Knight (30mm)


Wild West Exodus (35mm), WH40K (28mm heroic), Code Zero (32mm), Infinity (32mm), WarmaHorde (30mm)


28-32mm standard terrain, 40mm miniature in doorway (base of foot to top of attenane 40mm)


Space Crusader (32mm but the actual height because of power armor is 36mm), Black Plague (32mm), Space Crusader (32mm), Black Plague (32mm), Space Crusader (32mm), Black Plague (32mm)


WH40K (28mm heroic), Fallen Frontiers (35mm), Fallen Frontiers (35mm), Fallen Frontiers (35mm)


Infinity (32mm), Fallen Frontiers (35mm), Fallen Frontiers (35mm), Fallen Frontiers (35mm)


Group Shot


Measure shot to reference with rest of terrain images examples..












This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/04/24 22:37:56


 
   
Made in us
Innocent SDF-1 Bridge Bunny






I was planning on giving all my money to the Hubbologists but then I saw the news about this game. Now I am considering selling my wife and friends to slavers to buy a vaults worth of this when it comes out.

Things I want to see in this game so bad it hurts:

Brotherhood Outcasts
Boomers
Hubbologists
All the minor factions (Great Khans, New Reno Gangs, The Kings, Tunnel Snakes (they rule!))

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/04/24 23:06:26


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






As long as I can play Children of Atom I don't care what factions they do...

"The Omnissiah is my Moderati" 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Gambrills, MD

Super mutants. I am always in need of proper super mutants.

Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World's End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/



 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Just PLEASE- Don't suck! I just want the figures, try not to screw up the production and get them out on time.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 thegreatchimp wrote:
str00dles1 wrote:

32 is very standard for minis now a days....Terrain is also a non issue. any 28mm terrain is the exact same use for 32mm.
Sorry, I'm genuinely confused -what games use 32mm miniatures? Would 28mm terrain not look small alongside a 32mm figure? From what I'm gathering, are you saying 32mm is just a more proportionally correct representaiton of 28mm? Or is it bulkier in all proportions?

Bigger ( slightly) in proportions, but usable.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/04/25 01:46:30




At Games Workshop, we believe that how you behave does matter. We believe this so strongly that we have written it down in the Games Workshop Book. There is a section in the book where we talk about the values we expect all staff to demonstrate in their working lives. These values are Lawyers, Guns and Money. 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Great post there on the scales Dark Severance.

I'm very interested to see what kind of format the rules come in.
If its skirmish certainly will have some way to go to match TINAT!

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Florida

I'm all in for this, I've passed on some games I've been interested in for one reason or another but I love fallout and I shared this with a few friends I play games/video games with and even the ones that don't play any miniatures game were ready to throw money down on it.

I don't see any factions I wouldn't buy, doubt we'll see any new vegas factions but if we do I'll be all over it!

   
Made in ie
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

 Dark Severance wrote:
That is about correct. There are 28mm miniatures, they tend to be more widely used for historical wargames though. Then there is 28mm heroic is more exaggerated proportions, bigger limbs, guns (WH40K). There is a crossbreed which is about 32mm but still heroic to some degrees (Hordes, War Machine). Then you 32mm which have more standard body proportions (Infinity).

Ultimately people are different heights, so having different sizes actually looks more natural. Where it starts to look odd is when you start mixing 28mm Heroic with 32mm because of body proportions.


Thanks for the references.

The disparity in proportions is noticeable, but I see what you mean -it's not as much as I imagined. Might not look to bad with 28mms. Though I'd still want to compare the miniatures alongside each other in person, before investing in a full starter set of them.

I let the dogs out 
   
Made in us
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms






Chino Hills, CA

Would hopefully be cool to see Enclave troops from FO3

Some people play to win, some people play for fun. Me? I play to kill toy soldiers.
DR:90S++GMB++IPwhfb06+D++A++/dWD350R+++T(S)DM+

WHFB, AoS, 40k, WM/H, Starship Troopers Miniatures, FoW

 
   
Made in de
Poisonous Tomb Scorpion






Thank you Modiphius. I am so looking forward to this. This news is big enough to get me out of lurking!

I hope this comes out in a timely fashion. I've been wanting a number of models from Fallout 4 for a while now (specifically the redone Deathclaw and power armor). Here we go with the impatient wait...

 thegreatchimp wrote:
 Dark Severance wrote:
That is about correct. There are 28mm miniatures, they tend to be more widely used for historical wargames though. Then there is 28mm heroic is more exaggerated proportions, bigger limbs, guns (WH40K). There is a crossbreed which is about 32mm but still heroic to some degrees (Hordes, War Machine). Then you 32mm which have more standard body proportions (Infinity).

Ultimately people are different heights, so having different sizes actually looks more natural. Where it starts to look odd is when you start mixing 28mm Heroic with 32mm because of body proportions.


Thanks for the references.

The disparity in proportions is noticeable, but I see what you mean -it's not as much as I imagined. Might not look to bad with 28mms. Though I'd still want to compare the miniatures alongside each other in person, before investing in a full starter set of them.


Comparing models beforehand is essential. But as Dark Severance points out style is much more important than height when determining how models look together.

To add to the list of size comparisons, here's one with painted models from different producers painted and based the same style:

Warning! Slightly NSFW model comparison!

Spoiler:


From left to right (as advertised by the maker):

Brother Vinni - 28mm
Brother Vinni - 28mm
AxFaction - 32mm
Prodos - 32mm
Sculpted by myself - 32mm*
Golem Miniatures - 35mm**
Raging Heroes - unlisted on their own web store, as 28mm on an independent store
Black Scorpion Miniatures - listed as 32mm tall
Black Scorpion Miniatures - listed as 32mm tall


* I sculpted for 32mm scale specifically. She's 30mm tall from sole to eyes and 32mm tall from sole to top of head.

** The model is realistically scaled and does not share the heroic aspect of the other models. If you are looking for an actual scale model to base everything else off of, this is probably it.


In my experience miniature designers are fairly liberal when describing scale and size. Golem's (what I consider appropriate) 35mm is smaller than Prodos's 32mm. Brother Vinni has two men standing straight as 28mm, but one of them is half a head taller than the other. Black Scorpion tallies complete model height and doesn't even bother with assigning a scale to it.

Overall I have no problem with slightly different sized models. In fact I prefer it over everyone having the exact same height. Life doesn't follow industrial standards. I am therefore pretty happy when Modiphius says the Fallout models are going to be 32mm scale. Best case scenario in my opinion, because it should be close enough to what is generally considered 28mm or is only slightly taller, so the difference in size to smaller models isn't unrealistic. 32mm also happens to be right in the middle between 28mm and 35mm, so including a bunch of smaller or larger models in one's collection isn't a problem against that baseline.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in gb
Darkwolf



West Sussex, UK

The game is due for release in November.
   
Made in ie
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon





Dublin

 Geifer wrote:


In my experience miniature designers are fairly liberal when describing scale and size. Golem's (what I consider appropriate) 35mm is smaller than Prodos's 32mm

Overall I have no problem with slightly different sized models. In fact I prefer it over everyone having the exact same height. Life doesn't follow industrial standards. I am therefore pretty happy when Modiphius says the Fallout models are going to be 32mm scale. Best case scenario in my opinion, because it should be close enough to what is generally considered 28mm or is only slightly taller, so the difference in size to smaller models isn't unrealistic. 32mm also happens to be right in the middle between 28mm and 35mm, so including a bunch of smaller or larger models in one's collection isn't a problem against that baseline.


Well that Golem figure has all but convinced me, hard to believe it's considered 32mm. Perhaps the lack of clothes have something to do with it!

Yes I agree regarding height. It would be overall bulk / proportions I'd be making a decision on. e.g. a plastic Cadian and an Infinity trooper -I could never put them on a board together. And yes it would be the plastic Cadian that gets put back in the box

I let the dogs out 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Infiltrating Prowler





Portland, OR

 thegreatchimp wrote:
Well that Golem figure has all but convinced me, hard to believe it's considered 35mm. Perhaps the lack of clothes have something to do with it!
That is mainly because there isn't a real standard, there are technically two methods widely used for measurements. Originally it used to be from the base of the foot to the top of the head. Historical miniatures, wargame miniatures tend to use this because they don't have different races, head sizes or helmets to mess with. It is also more widely accepted (mainly because of helmets, hats, tall hair styles, etc) to measure from the base of the foot to the eyes. Without knowing what they are measuring and their website doesn't specifically state it, it is hard to say although just based on the lineup (without measuring) I would say they are measuring to the top of the head. Even the poster who posted said, "I sculpted for 32mm scale specifically. She's 30mm tall from sole to eyes and 32mm tall from sole to top of head.". Which even though that is an acceptable way, I don't consider it 32mm but would consider it a 30mm in size to compare with more current mainstream miniatures.

 thegreatchimp wrote:
Yes I agree regarding height. It would be overall bulk / proportions I'd be making a decision on. e.g. a plastic Cadian and an Infinity trooper -I could never put them on a board together. And yes it would be the plastic Cadian that gets put back in the box
That is where "heroic" scale really messes with what is becoming the more streamline scales of 28-32mm ranges. Along properly scaled mentions, not heroic, it tends to make them squat and strange looking. Unfortunately WH40K doesn't really scale well with a most new miniatures, there are some that do but overall when you get to a Cadian, things look weird.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/04/26 18:46:18


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: