Switch Theme:

Avengers: Endgame -- spoilers so beware  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Mutilatin' Mad Dok




Crescent City Fl..

 Frazzled wrote:
 warhead01 wrote:
I was planning to see it on the following Tuesday. Looks like I can see it as early as 9:15 in the am. Cool.
Is there any reason I should see it in IMAX? I don't think I know what that even is.


Be aware its reportedly over three hours. IIRC but its really hard to get out of your seat for a pit stop in an Imax. I personally can't sit with my knees bent like that for more than an hour at a time.


I'll have to ask my friends what's best I guess. The local theater we have is very inexpensive and I guess like a basic theater. But I'll be house sitting for a few days and they have a fancy movie theater up there. The last two movies I saw in theaters were the last Mad Max(locally) and before that predators (what ever year it was that came out) but that was in a whole other state.
I'm just lucky to have the time to go to the movies at all.

"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror."
My blog http://warhead01.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-art-of-ork.html 
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





So bad news is I am not going to be able to find a ride to watch Captain Marvel. I just work the times my buddies have available so I am just missing out.

Good news is I will have a car by the time this comes out.(Yay taxes and savings!)

How much am I missing by not seeing Captain Marvel? Also please no spoilers on that.

 Ouze wrote:

How did you forget that time you got elected King of the Liberals? You swore on a copy of the Communist Manifesto that you would defend every belief held by any member of the left, foreign or domestic, or may you be cursed to forever more drink only non-fair-trade coffee, forevermore


*0 Dakka Suspensions and still going strong! Probably because I believe in science!* 
   
Made in us
Leader of the Sept






Nothing, Danvers has no real character to speak of and all you know is what's in the trailers, her and fury are friends

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

 Dreadwinter wrote:
How much am I missing by not seeing Captain Marvel? Also please no spoilers on that.


Probably nothing, honestly. HSM is about right I would say. You saw she was exposed to an alien power source and became functionally Superman in the trailers.

You're missing out on her personal origin story, but not how she came to join the Avengers or how she locks into the current MCU, neither of which have yet been explored.

There is a short mid credits scene that ties CM into Infinity War but it's very minor and you're not going to be confused without it.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

And chances are that end credits scene from Captain Marvel will be in Endgame, much like the end credits scene from Ant-Man was in Civil War.

Basically Captain Marvel got her powers from a combination of the Space Stone and Kree blood. And she's basically unstoppable (things that fly into her by accident die). Should be interesting to see if Thanos stands a chance against her.

 Frazzled wrote:
Be aware its reportedly over three hours.
3 hours and 59 seconds apparently. Was 3 hours and 2 mins, but the Russo Brothers said that they sped up the credits to shave some time off.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/04/11 08:28:32


   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






Thanos put Hulk down like he was nothing, Carol wouldn’t fare any better. She’s got flight and ranged attacks, but isnt as strong. Sure she got to look super bad arsed in her own movie, but she was only fighting non-powered individuals and spaceships. I imagine her role will be in knowing space and the factions out there to help the Avengers track down where Thanos went.

 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 AduroT wrote:
Thanos put Hulk down like he was nothing, Carol wouldn’t fare any better. She’s got flight and ranged attacks, but isnt as strong. Sure she got to look super bad arsed in her own movie, but she was only fighting non-powered individuals and spaceships. I imagine her role will be in knowing space and the factions out there to help the Avengers track down where Thanos went.
Things that flew into her by accident died instantly. She flew through a Kree cruiser like a white-hot knife through melted butter.

She is the MCU's Unstoppable Force. Do you view Thanos as the MCU's immovable object?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/11 09:40:09


   
Made in gb
Council of 13 Runner Up






Hulk is predominantly strength based. Very little technique, because he's not previously needed it.

Thanos? Thanos beat him like a red headed step child because he's got combat skills, and at least similar levels of strength.

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Dreadwinter wrote:
So bad news is I am not going to be able to find a ride to watch Captain Marvel. I just work the times my buddies have available so I am just missing out.

Good news is I will have a car by the time this comes out.(Yay taxes and savings!)

How much am I missing by not seeing Captain Marvel? Also please no spoilers on that.


You wont need it but its one of the best marvel films to date

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Council of 13 Runner Up






Yeah, not a great deal of foreshadowing in Captain Marvel - well, so far as we know!

It basically fleshes out The Kree and Skrulls somewhat, as well as adding agent to Nick Fury.

Other than that, it's the usual fairly loose links we've come to expect from a character's first outing.

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]






Svalarheima, MA

 warhead01 wrote:
I was planning to see it on the following Tuesday. Looks like I can see it as early as 9:15 in the am. Cool.
Is there any reason I should see it in IMAX? I don't think I know what that even is.


Might be worth it?

Remember the old pan and scan loss of screen stuff that used to happen all the time, 'back in the day', when the old Kaiju movies were shown on broadcast TV?

(No dating myself there at all)

I've seen some stuff online about how much 'more' there is to see of this film in IMAX format.

But it won't be as if you're missing scenes or anything - it just might overall 'look' a bit better.

Of course, you'll pay a bit 'more' for the privilege!

So, no, not necessary but possibly worth it if you live near an IMAX theater and it isn't too much more per ticket.

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

 AduroT wrote:
Thanos put Hulk down like he was nothing, Carol wouldn’t fare any better. She’s got flight and ranged attacks, but isnt as strong. Sure she got to look super bad arsed in her own movie, but she was only fighting non-powered individuals and spaceships. I imagine her role will be in knowing space and the factions out there to help the Avengers track down where Thanos went.


I think I disagree, at least as presented in the MCU.
Spoiler:
Compare when the Hulk was rampaging on the Helicarrier, and when Captain Marvel literally punched through a Kree warship like it was cardboard.

I'm not saying she can necessarily beat Thanos, because that would be a pretty boring movie among other things. But I think Captain Marvel is significantly stronger than the MCU Hulk, who seems substantially less powerful than he is in the comics.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/11 13:30:25


 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






Carol hasnt done anything yet that thor hasnt also been capable of.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 Lance845 wrote:
Carol hasnt done anything yet that thor hasnt also been capable of.


Didn't Thor effectively one shot Thanos at the end of Infinity War?

Just think, if instead of relying on guys with spears, they had relied on a Marine Battalion with a little artillery or air support. They would have stopped Thanos's troopers cold..

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






Meh. The marines would only be shooting little bits of lead. Those spears are Vibranium. Much better.

 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 AduroT wrote:
Meh. The marines would only be shooting little bits of lead. Those spears are Vibranium. Much better.


Lots and lots and lots of little bits of lead. Far more than single shot spears from guys who's plan turned into "lets charge the dogs with teeth!" And mortar rounds. And artillery.

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Horrific Hive Tyrant






They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 Lance845 wrote:
They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


Now imagine a battalion of Marines in them, with circling Apaches and circling A-10s.


-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Dreadwinter wrote:
So bad news is I am not going to be able to find a ride to watch Captain Marvel. I just work the times my buddies have available so I am just missing out.

Good news is I will have a car by the time this comes out.(Yay taxes and savings!)

How much am I missing by not seeing Captain Marvel? Also please no spoilers on that.


Not much that will be vital to Endgame. You already know she'll be a real powerhouse, more raw power than even Iron Man, the Hulk, or Thor; just in a different way. She's a bit of a one-trick pony, though; she's tough, flies, and has very powerful energy attacks. That's... pretty much the whole character. Somewhat more versatile than the Hulk, but not as much as Iron Man or Thor, and about as subtle as they are too. Perhaps the only really important detail that should be spoilered is just where her powers ultimately come from and how it relates to Thanos, which could become relevant in Endgame.

The character comes across very... I hate to use the cliche and call it wooden, but it fits here. I don't know if that's the actress' normal operating mode, or if it's just for this movie. It can be explained away by saying the character lost her memory and then was trained by a guy pushing her to suppress her emotions. If that is the case, hopefully Endgame will let her be more natural and less wooden.

Overall the movie is generally entertaining despite Brie Larson being pretty wooden most of the movie. She does seem to loosen up for a bit in the middle though. A fair amount of comedy... which sadly is mostly at Nick Fury's expense. It's like the director saw Fury as being just another token comic relief black guy, which is my one serious complaint about the film.


CHAOS! PANIC! DISORDER!
My job here is done. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






I don't think you win an Oscar and a Golden Globe by being wooden, so I'd say it's clearly the role not the actor.

To be honest, I think it'll be her attitude and personality that are her important contributions, not punching things (well, I imagine there'll be some of that too ). The point of her movie was being the underdog and coming through despite the expectation and criticisms of everyone around her; that's the sort of thing that the demoralised Avengers will need.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





FWIW, Brie Larson filmed Endgame before Captain Marvel, so there's probably nothing super crucial to understand her role in the former.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Frazzled wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


Now imagine a battalion of Marines in them, with circling Apaches and circling A-10s.



I hate to say it because I'm a HUGE fan of the Apaches and Warthogs... but in this circumstance aircraft are dead meat. The artillery support could be invaluable, though.

But it wouldn't be comic-book enough. I mean, you could argue luring them out to White Sands in New Mexico and just nuking them would be far more effective...but pretty boring when you get down to it.

CHAOS! PANIC! DISORDER!
My job here is done. 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 Vulcan wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


Now imagine a battalion of Marines in them, with circling Apaches and circling A-10s.



I hate to say it because I'm a HUGE fan of the Apaches and Warthogs... but in this circumstance aircraft are dead meat. The artillery support could be invaluable, though.

But it wouldn't be comic-book enough. I mean, you could argue luring them out to White Sands in New Mexico and just nuking them would be far more effective...but pretty boring when you get down to it.


Yea...sorry. I got off point.

But am I correct in that Thor effectively one shot Thanos at the end?

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Frazzled wrote:
 Vulcan wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


Now imagine a battalion of Marines in them, with circling Apaches and circling A-10s.



I hate to say it because I'm a HUGE fan of the Apaches and Warthogs... but in this circumstance aircraft are dead meat. The artillery support could be invaluable, though.

But it wouldn't be comic-book enough. I mean, you could argue luring them out to White Sands in New Mexico and just nuking them would be far more effective...but pretty boring when you get down to it.


Yea...sorry. I got off point.

But am I correct in that Thor effectively one shot Thanos at the end?


Ah... yes and no.

He does deliver what should be a mortal wound, but not instantly so, thus giving Thanos time to activate the appropriate Infinity Gem and undo it.

Had Thor gone either for Thanos' head (for the instant kill) or arm (to separate Thanos from the Infinity Gauntlet) it would have been a win for the good guys. A costly win, but still a win.

CHAOS! PANIC! DISORDER!
My job here is done. 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Vulcan wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
 Vulcan wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
They had a war machine. Remember how super effwctive it was?


Now imagine a battalion of Marines in them, with circling Apaches and circling A-10s.



I hate to say it because I'm a HUGE fan of the Apaches and Warthogs... but in this circumstance aircraft are dead meat. The artillery support could be invaluable, though.

But it wouldn't be comic-book enough. I mean, you could argue luring them out to White Sands in New Mexico and just nuking them would be far more effective...but pretty boring when you get down to it.


Yea...sorry. I got off point.

But am I correct in that Thor effectively one shot Thanos at the end?


Ah... yes and no.

He does deliver what should be a mortal wound, but not instantly so, thus giving Thanos time to activate the appropriate Infinity Gem and undo it.

Had Thor gone either for Thanos' head (for the instant kill) or arm (to separate Thanos from the Infinity Gauntlet) it would have been a win for the good guys. A costly win, but still a win.


Dr Strange coud have done the same thing with his portals but that would have spoiled the narrative..

Cap Marvel vs Hulk - given her perfomance at the end of her film she could have defeated the first invasion of Earth on her own - Hulk was being overwhelmed by a horde of foot soldiers.

Thanos "now" is probably killiable by many of the currrent heroes - I am assuming its Thanos "then" they have to fight?

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






I’m still going with the theory that they show up and find Thanos already dead from Thor’s ax blow. Recover the gems and try to figure out how to undo it. Somehow Tony is the pivotal one to fixing everything, not Carol.

 
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Et In Arcadia Ego





Canterbury

 Ouze wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
Thanos put Hulk down like he was nothing, Carol wouldn’t fare any better. She’s got flight and ranged attacks, but isnt as strong. Sure she got to look super bad arsed in her own movie, but she was only fighting non-powered individuals and spaceships. I imagine her role will be in knowing space and the factions out there to help the Avengers track down where Thanos went.


I think I disagree, at least as presented in the MCU.
Spoiler:
Compare when the Hulk was rampaging on the Helicarrier, and when Captain Marvel literally punched through a Kree warship like it was cardboard.

I'm not saying she can necessarily beat Thanos, because that would be a pretty boring movie among other things. But I think Captain Marvel is significantly stronger than the MCU Hulk, who seems substantially less powerful than he is in the comics.






Given the origin of Carol's powers, one wonders if Thanos might simply be able to turn her "off" -- so to speak.


I figure big fight with the heavy hitters, she doesn't follow orders/stick to the plan and gets beaten -- but learns a valuable lesson about team work, remembers the importance of a wing man etc etc etc.

Cap dies/winds up in the stone -- maybe with Peggy/some version of her.

Stark etc retire -- quick quip about how the Avengers will always need a Captain to lead them, happy every after etc etc

The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all
We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.
Our remote ancestors called the dreaded beings 'fair' and 'good' precisely because they dreaded them. So they dressed them up in charming forms, knowing the truth to be the reverse
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

Vulcan wrote:A fair amount of comedy... which sadly is mostly at Nick Fury's expense. It's like the director saw Fury as being just another token comic relief black guy, which is my one serious complaint about the film.


My take was that it was just a younger, more relaxed Fury who had not yet seen some gak and caused him to be as serious and jaded.

reds8n wrote:
 Ouze wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
Thanos put Hulk down like he was nothing, Carol wouldn’t fare any better. She’s got flight and ranged attacks, but isnt as strong. Sure she got to look super bad arsed in her own movie, but she was only fighting non-powered individuals and spaceships. I imagine her role will be in knowing space and the factions out there to help the Avengers track down where Thanos went.


I think I disagree, at least as presented in the MCU.
Spoiler:
Compare when the Hulk was rampaging on the Helicarrier, and when Captain Marvel literally punched through a Kree warship like it was cardboard.

I'm not saying she can necessarily beat Thanos, because that would be a pretty boring movie among other things. But I think Captain Marvel is significantly stronger than the MCU Hulk, who seems substantially less powerful than he is in the comics.






Given the origin of Carol's powers, one wonders if Thanos might simply be able to turn her "off" -- so to speak.


I figure big fight with the heavy hitters, she doesn't follow orders/stick to the plan and gets beaten -- but learns a valuable lesson about team work, remembers the importance of a wing man etc etc etc.


That's the plot twist this city needs: Kevin Feige spends years building up CM as the most powerful being in the MCU, and then turns out Thanos can just cut her connection to the stone.

But her not being a team player and then coming around would be pretty on-message for the character.

The Captain America\Peggy twist would be a pretty sweet ending to that story.
   
Made in gb
Council of 13 Runner Up






On Carol's power?

Spoiler:
Thanos wasn't able to switch off Vision, or Wanda. And both (directly and indirectly, in that exact order) were powered by Infinity Stone stuff. Wanda is probably the closest in nature to Carol). So it seems likely he won't have that control over Carol Danvers. Mind you, he was missing one stone when he confronted Wanda, so that's a variable right there.

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
On Carol's power?

Spoiler:
Thanos wasn't able to switch off Vision, or Wanda. And both (directly and indirectly, in that exact order) were powered by Infinity Stone stuff. Wanda is probably the closest in nature to Carol). So it seems likely he won't have that control over Carol Danvers. Mind you, he was missing one stone when he confronted Wanda, so that's a variable right there.


Vision is sort of less powered by a stone, and more that he Is the stone, or at least it’s a part of him, and thus the extensive surgery required to separate it and the discussion of how much of him would be left after they were to do so. And with Wanda, Thanos wasn’t just missing A stone, he was missing The stone that she got her powers from, namely the same Mind Stone that was part of Vision. If Carol shows up now, or even Wanda again, now he’s got their power source, so it might be a different story.

 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: