Switch Theme:

GW Partial Reopening-US and AUS reopening May 7  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
There’s also the normal convenience.

In my town, I’m lucky enough to have two sources of Citadel paints within walking distance. That of course means when I need to get a new pot, I can just take a wander up the hill to town (or drive if I really can’t be bothered) and grab what I need.

That’s more convenient for me than looking to mail order. Nothing to do with the relevant properties, pros and cons of different ranges. I’m just all about the convenience.


Yep. Do I order bottle of paint I need, pay like twice the cost of bottle for shipping or order something I don't need just to get free shipping if even possible(not from domestic stores). If from non domestic for maximum price saving and free shipping 2 week+ delivery time...

Or go to FLGS and pick up. Ergo only GW or army painter. I use them both depending on shade needed. As I have plenty of armies I started painting before store took AP range. So any replacement needs to be exact shade match

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 10:20:19


https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2020/02/24/tneva82-winter-war-tournament-report/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Also, in every country there will come a point when stores like this start to reopen, government allowing etc.

But the virus won’t be gone at that point. There will still be deaths, and hard times etc.

In the UK they are constantly saying we are protecting the NHS doing all this. Never we are waiting out the virus etc.
because it’s all about relieving pressure so they can deal with patients at a workable rate. Which will go on for year/s. Even with the vaccine finally in place and all solutions etc. it will still be around and there will be deaths and difficulties etc.
But imagine everything still being shut still the whole time.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Separate note. I saw the Macragge Blue, Black, Gold set of three from conquest on eBay in sets for £15-18 posted. Ridiculous.
And I look over at the 4/5 sets I’ve got and think, I really should throw them on, but not sure I could do it..

I’ve just made as many projects as I can Blue..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 09:46:05


 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






To me, the appeal is that I can be sure that I can still buy the exact same color I used for my models 10 years ago and will still be able to buy it 10 years from now. I want my orks to be the same green no matter when I bought them.
If I ever need help with paint, there will always be a person that knows exactly what colors to layer in what way to get the effect I want.
I have experimented a bit with army painter stuff, but to me, it's quite difficult to find which of their paints end up being the same color as something I saw on pictures or videos. I still use their primers though, they seem to be of better quality than GW's for most colors.

Lastly, I use paints to support my local stores, because I'm as sure as heck not going to buy models without a discount.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Danny76 wrote:
Separate note. I saw the Macragge Blue, Black, Gold set of three from conquest on eBay in sets for £15-18 posted. Ridiculous.
And I look over at the 4/5 sets I’ve got and think, I really should throw them on, but not sure I could do it..

I’ve just made as many projects as I can Blue..


Well, time to start a custom chapter with black/blue/gold paint scheme

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/04/22 09:50:09


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Jidmah wrote:
To me, the appeal is that I can be sure that I can still buy the exact same color I used for my models 10 years ago and will still be able to buy it 10 years from now. I want my orks to be the same green no matter when I bought them.
If I ever need help with paint, there will always be a person that knows exactly what colors to layer in what way to get the effect I want.
I have experimented a bit with army painter stuff, but to me, it's quite difficult to find which of their paints end up being the same color as something I saw on pictures or videos. I still use their primers though, they seem to be of better quality than GW's for most colors.

Lastly, I use paints to support my local stores, because I'm as sure as heck not going to buy models without a discount.


Are you referring to GW paints? They annoyingly change their range quite regularly just so you have to keep buying the newer ones to keep up to date with their painting guides.
If you were referring to other ranges I misread your message and agree.

I've been playing a while, my first model was a lead marine and my first White Dwarf was bound with staples 
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

Yeah the whole, I want the same paints, argument doesn't really wash in my opinion. Learn to mix your tones. You think Picasso was moaning because he couldn't get the same pigments from the same sellers?

But by the same token, I support your right to overspend on a product if you wish.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/04/22 09:56:07


Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





UK

Danny76 wrote:
Also, in every country there will come a point when stores like this start to reopen, government allowing etc.

But the virus won’t be gone at that point. There will still be deaths, and hard times etc.

Yes, likely this will become a seasonal thing like the flu where at-risk people need to get a shot every year and the rest of us hope we don't catch it too often.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star. 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 Huron black heart wrote:
Are you referring to GW paints? They annoyingly change their range quite regularly just so you have to keep buying the newer ones to keep up to date with their painting guides.
If you were referring to other ranges I misread your message and agree.

Every store that has a painting rack has the list with the three generations of paint names attached to it. No color has disappeared, they only have been renamed. Gunmetal, Boltgun Metal and Leadbelcher are the same color.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah but we're talking about fools paying £10 for pots of paint on ebay.


Yeah but there's always people with more money. For someone who perhaps earns thousands a week and who has no financial worries that £10 is worth it to them and is a drop in the ocean compared to their income. For many of us its an obscene price that we'd not pay even if we could afford it because we cannot justify such a cost for something that we know will be back in stock and sold as normal before the year is over.

There's also those who might rely on painting as a really powerful mental crutch during these chaotic times; where £10 to keep going is worth it to them for the peace of mind it brings etc...



Also on ebay it only takes two people to take a price that high; so its not representative of the whole population of gamers .

   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah the whole, I want the same paints, argument doesn't really wash in my opinion. Learn to mix your tones. You think Picasso was moaning because he couldn't get the same pigments from the same sellers?

The difference between me and Picasso is that I hate painting as much as going to the dentist. If GW would sell pre-painted miniatures, I wouldn't even own a paint brush.
I don't want to learn to mix my tones because I don't want to waste more time than necessary on something I hate.
I don't want to cope with the whole "how did I mix this green seven years ago?" BS all those self-proclaimed Picassos facing.
If one of the greens I need for my ork's skin is empty, I take the empty pot to my local store, shove it in their face and get a new one, maybe with a more copyright-able name. And I will be able to do it as long as there are ork miniatures.

Making something that I hate but can't get around more comfortable and faster is a perfectly fine way spend money. I can always get more money, I can't get more time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 10:25:52


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah the whole, I want the same paints, argument doesn't really wash in my opinion. Learn to mix your tones. You think Picasso was moaning because he couldn't get the same pigments from the same sellers?


And you can mix 100% exact shade every time without wasting paint and taking no longer than few seconds?

Good luck proving that. You try to claim that, I call you a liar.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2020/02/24/tneva82-winter-war-tournament-report/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





It’s the usual people gouging prices just because they can.
Sadly that’s just human greed as per normal.
And as per normal, human desperation feeds it.

People aren’t stupid or bad for wanting GW paints though.
For some, it’s a comfort zone as they know the paints inside out and how they work.
Telling someone to learn a different brand just because you may use them instead is really just sad.

It’s a hobby, people use whatever they want.


Since we are walking that route though, anyone here buying P3, GW etc is also foolish.
Ikea sells paints for £1 per 4.
I’ve seen a few people paint models up using those to insanely high standards so why don’t you guys learn to use them if your worried about paint prices?
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 Overread wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah but we're talking about fools paying £10 for pots of paint on ebay.

Yeah but there's always people with more money. For someone who perhaps earns thousands a week and who has no financial worries that £10 is worth it to them and is a drop in the ocean compared to their income. For many of us its an obscene price that we'd not pay even if we could afford it because we cannot justify such a cost for something that we know will be back in stock and sold as normal before the year is over.

This. We have a new player who started out a xenos faction by simply buying everything he would ever need: all characters, all troops six times, everything else three times. He wouldn't bat an eye at paying 10 bucks for paint.

Personally, I stocked up on all paints threatening to become empty when GW announced going offline.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Jidmah wrote:
 Overread wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah but we're talking about fools paying £10 for pots of paint on ebay.

Yeah but there's always people with more money. For someone who perhaps earns thousands a week and who has no financial worries that £10 is worth it to them and is a drop in the ocean compared to their income. For many of us its an obscene price that we'd not pay even if we could afford it because we cannot justify such a cost for something that we know will be back in stock and sold as normal before the year is over.

This. We have a new player who started out a xenos faction by simply buying everything he would ever need: all characters, all troops six times, everything else three times. He wouldn't bat an eye at paying 10 bucks for paint.

Personally, I stocked up on all paints threatening to become empty when GW announced going offline.




While along the same lines and slightly OT at the same time, I watched a guy go into my local GW and drop £700 for his order he placed.
He then complained about having to pay 50p for 5 bags lol.
Money works in strange ways.

I do agree though.
To some they need to stretch what they have and make it work.
To others, they burn more than that in fuel just driving to a shop anyway.
   
Made in gb
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





Online sale where I get £50 off my £300 spend? Wow, sign me up no questions asked! What's that you say - £3 postage? Well now I have to really question some of my spending choices (this is me).
   
Made in au
Sister Vastly Superior




There are still parts of the world that don't have community transmission and multiple GW stores. As long as rules are obeyed, there's no reason why they can't trade. Like a paint and model cafe.

Do you know what 40k melee needs? #FreetheFlagellants

Learn all your rules back to front. Stop trying to do the same for every other army. 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Lammia wrote:
There are still parts of the world that don't have community transmission and multiple GW stores. As long as rules are obeyed, there's no reason why they can't trade. Like a paint and model cafe.


Pretty much this.

Seriously, what’s the difference here between a supermarket, where thousands of people will visit a day, and a GW which, from my own experience working for them, might do 20-30 transactions on a busy day?

There’s no Hobby to happen, just shopping. All the stores I’ve seen (about....10, maybe 11?) have layouts conducive to the required social distancing. So even if multiple people are wanting to buy at the same time, the risks are minimised.

So when lockdowns are relaxed by the relevant government, there’s not much reason why a GW can’t open with relative safety.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in es
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey






If that's the only thing they're allowing, why not just limit it to pick up in store? Call in advance, have the stuff ready for you when you arrive, pay, go.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Albertorius wrote:
If that's the only thing they're allowing, why not just limit it to pick up in store? Call in advance, have the stuff ready for you when you arrive, pay, go.


This makes sense, and to be honest if my local GW reopened I'd message them one way or another just to make sure they actually have what I want, may as well get it ready to be collected.

I've been playing a while, my first model was a lead marine and my first White Dwarf was bound with staples 
   
Made in au
Sister Vastly Superior




I mean, that's basically what's going to happen. But you also don't want to spell out exactly what will happen, as details may change between locations and times

Do you know what 40k melee needs? #FreetheFlagellants

Learn all your rules back to front. Stop trying to do the same for every other army. 
   
Made in dk
Fresh-Faced New User




For what it's worth, the GW shops in Denmark are closed, but other game/model shops are still open. I've been a relatively frequent customer of Faraos Cigarer, since I live just a few minutes walk away. Over half of the Citadel colours were sold out last week, and they weren't expecting a restock for at least a month, so I now have some Vallejo paints. A few of those were sold out too. The 40K/AoS models have also sold well, there were plenty of gaps on the shelves. (They also fulfill online orders in Denmark from this shop.)

I wonder how much stock is in the UK -- all shops might face stock problems for a while.

The restriction was for shopping centres to close (so the general hobby/craft shop in that is closed), but GW were not required to close their shops here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 13:03:07


 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





the warhammer store here is opening, but with a max of 2 customers and all goverment regulations are being uphold

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

terry wrote:
the warhammer store here is opening, but with a max of 2 customers and all goverment regulations are being uphold


Is that a GW store and are you in the UK? (your profile flag says you are). Only I was under the impression nothing in the UK was opening up for GW.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Annandale, VA

 Jidmah wrote:
 Huron black heart wrote:
Are you referring to GW paints? They annoyingly change their range quite regularly just so you have to keep buying the newer ones to keep up to date with their painting guides.
If you were referring to other ranges I misread your message and agree.

Every store that has a painting rack has the list with the three generations of paint names attached to it. No color has disappeared, they only have been renamed. Gunmetal, Boltgun Metal and Leadbelcher are the same color.


This just isn't true. Nurgling Green is less yellow and more green than Rotting Flesh. Rhinox Hide is darker and less red than Scorched Brown. GW renames their paints when they switch manufacturers, and those new manufacturers rarely match the colors they're replacing. In some cases they're really quite different.

I miss Kommando Khaki. Zandri Dust is nowhere close.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 14:40:11


 
   
Made in us
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






 catbarf wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
 Huron black heart wrote:
Are you referring to GW paints? They annoyingly change their range quite regularly just so you have to keep buying the newer ones to keep up to date with their painting guides.
If you were referring to other ranges I misread your message and agree.

Every store that has a painting rack has the list with the three generations of paint names attached to it. No color has disappeared, they only have been renamed. Gunmetal, Boltgun Metal and Leadbelcher are the same color.


This just isn't true. Nurgling Green is less yellow and more green than Rotting Flesh. Rhinox Hide is darker and less red than Scorched Brown. GW renames their paints when they switch manufacturers, and those new manufacturers rarely match the colors they're replacing. In some cases they're really quite different.

I miss Kommando Khaki. Zandri Dust is nowhere close.


Yea I was going to respond earlier, screamer pink =/= warlock purple. Khorne red =/= scab red etc. Delvan Mud and agrax aren't the same either.

Paint is made in lots as well, so you find slight variance even between the same colors. It's why they assign lot numbers on the pots. I have two pots of Khorne red, one is ever so lightly more purple then the other. Not enough to matter but if one of those pots said Vallejo suddenly it would to some folks

   
Made in us
Using Object Source Lighting





Portland

tneva82 wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah the whole, I want the same paints, argument doesn't really wash in my opinion. Learn to mix your tones. You think Picasso was moaning because he couldn't get the same pigments from the same sellers?


And you can mix 100% exact shade every time without wasting paint and taking no longer than few seconds?

Good luck proving that. You try to claim that, I call you a liar.

One, harsh and unnecessary.

Two, paints and dyes are never guaranteed exact matches unless you buy from the same batch (which is why some lines record batch numbers), so "exact" is irrelevant here.

Three, if you learn to mix colors, yeah, it doesn't take long to get plenty close.

Four, while Picasso radically attacked artistic conventions and changed them, if we're talking about craft rather than the politics of aesthetics, big-deal artists are hella particular, so one could definitely pitch a fit about materials.


My painted armies (40k, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity...) 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






I'm sorry to hear that, but for the roughly twenty paints of old I've had to replace, the only one which didn't match almost perfectly is devian mud.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

tneva82 wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah the whole, I want the same paints, argument doesn't really wash in my opinion. Learn to mix your tones. You think Picasso was moaning because he couldn't get the same pigments from the same sellers?


And you can mix 100% exact shade every time without wasting paint and taking no longer than few seconds?

Good luck proving that. You try to claim that, I call you a liar.


I never did. but painting small models, you dont have to be exactly the same each time. Close enough, no one will notice.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Overread wrote:
terry wrote:
the warhammer store here is opening, but with a max of 2 customers and all goverment regulations are being uphold


Is that a GW store and are you in the UK? (your profile flag says you are). Only I was under the impression nothing in the UK was opening up for GW.


I too am curious about this. not that I'm going to go, but it may be an indicator of things to come.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/22 15:47:38


Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot




UK

Danny76 wrote:
Also, in every country there will come a point when stores like this start to reopen, government allowing etc.

But the virus won’t be gone at that point. There will still be deaths, and hard times etc.

In the UK they are constantly saying we are protecting the NHS doing all this. Never we are waiting out the virus etc.
because it’s all about relieving pressure so they can deal with patients at a workable rate. Which will go on for year/s. Even with the vaccine finally in place and all solutions etc. it will still be around and there will be deaths and difficulties etc.
But imagine everything still being shut still the whole time.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Separate note. I saw the Macragge Blue, Black, Gold set of three from conquest on eBay in sets for £15-18 posted. Ridiculous.
And I look over at the 4/5 sets I’ve got and think, I really should throw them on, but not sure I could do it..

I’ve just made as many projects as I can Blue..


I'm growing into my use of Nuln Oil and so on. I'm glad Conquest has provided me with so much.

   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

If washes are a problem, you might try experimenting with oil washes. I use them more than acryllic washes now.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot




UK

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
If washes are a problem, you might try experimenting with oil washes. I use them more than acryllic washes now.



If that advice was for me, thank you.

At present though, I've only just moved on from painting to a basic tabletop standard to doing some more experimenting.

Through my Conquest sub I've picked up a couple of Nuln Oils, Reikland Fleashade, Athonian Camoshade and so on. As a result, unlike some of the more prolific painters on here, I am in no danger of a shortage.

The idea of ending up in an eBay bidding frenzy over paint wouldn't occur to me. If you run out, move to painting more models then come back to the shading once stocks are readily available at retail prices.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: