Switch Theme:

1/18th scale Warhammer 40k toys incoming next month. Full color video w options!!!!!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Crimson wrote:
Do people actually want to buy these? I could see myself buying a larger scale marine to paint if it had more detail and more realistic proportions (gun scale etc) but these are just upscaled miniatures with basically no extra detail added. So what's the point?


You know these are 40k figures, right?

Anyways, I can see putting together a giant sized Kill Team game.

   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

Got one of the incursors from Ebay today and yeah its basically an upscaled and articulated GW figure model but thats not a bad thing. My initial impression is Joytoy has a hit on their hands with these figures and yes I ordered the Chaos marines from BBTS and already have the standard primaris marines on pre-oder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/30 05:11:00


John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in gb
Hardened Veteran Guardsman





North-East England

https://www.joytoyworld.com/search?q=warhammer

Might come in handy for some.Price for the Chaos Lord is £45.

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 manic _miner wrote:
https://www.joytoyworld.com/search?q=warhammer

Might come in handy for some.Price for the Chaos Lord is £45.


Is that site Legit? Certainly looks to have counterfeit LEGO for sale, so would be a little concerned about what you'd actually get, if you got anything at all.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Tampa,FL USA

Tavis75 wrote:
 manic _miner wrote:
https://www.joytoyworld.com/search?q=warhammer

Might come in handy for some.Price for the Chaos Lord is £45.


Is that site Legit? Certainly looks to have counterfeit LEGO for sale, so would be a little concerned about what you'd actually get, if you got anything at all.


That is JoyToy's official webstore. They're a Chinese company and all that entails.

From the About Us:

JOYTOY WORLD is an online store founded in 2021, located in China. We're JOYTOY's official retailer and mainly sold JOYTOY products and other cool toys all over the world.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/30 10:57:23


You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 Platuan4th wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
 manic _miner wrote:
https://www.joytoyworld.com/search?q=warhammer

Might come in handy for some.Price for the Chaos Lord is £45.


Is that site Legit? Certainly looks to have counterfeit LEGO for sale, so would be a little concerned about what you'd actually get, if you got anything at all.


That is JoyToy's official webstore. They're a Chinese company and all that entails.

From the About Us:

JOYTOY WORLD is an online store founded in 2021, located in China. We're JOYTOY's official retailer and mainly sold JOYTOY products and other cool toys all over the world.


That's surprising. Seems somewhat ironic that GW have a tie up with a company selling counterfeit stuff, all things considered!
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




The Warp

Has anyone ever ordered from this website:
https://www.flyimatoy.com/products/pre-order-joytoy-1-18-warhammer-40k-chaos-space-marines-black-legion-warband?_pos=12&_sid=3818ad917&_ss=r

They have much better price than bigbadtoystore. Just not 100% sure if its legit...
   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

 OrionHunter88 wrote:
Has anyone ever ordered from this website:
https://www.flyimatoy.com/products/pre-order-joytoy-1-18-warhammer-40k-chaos-space-marines-black-legion-warband?_pos=12&_sid=3818ad917&_ss=r

They have much better price than bigbadtoystore. Just not 100% sure if its legit...


Ive ordered so much from BBTS and I trust them more than other sites

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Tampa,FL USA

 usmcchet9296 wrote:
 OrionHunter88 wrote:
Has anyone ever ordered from this website:
https://www.flyimatoy.com/products/pre-order-joytoy-1-18-warhammer-40k-chaos-space-marines-black-legion-warband?_pos=12&_sid=3818ad917&_ss=r

They have much better price than bigbadtoystore. Just not 100% sure if its legit...


Ive ordered so much from BBTS and I trust them more than other sites


This. It's worth paying the tacked on import fees for piece of mind from a reputable supplier.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




The Warp

This reviewer - has done many JoyToy reviews - endorses the flyima website. Or that's where he gets his stuff from anyways.

Promising but I'm still poking around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxUuCVlK-o&t=11s

I've ordered from BBTS and know they are reputable and treat packaging with care (unlike amazon/randos on ebay). But it's over a $100 difference so its worth checking into a bit. I want the full warband. All 6 from BBTS are $455. flyima is $319 with a 15% off pre-order discount code from their 'spin the wheel' popup. Not to mention cheaper shipping and taxes.

I did email BBTS if they were going to do a package deal and they responded that that don't know but it is a possibility. Considering they haven't put the Space Wolves up yet I'm biding my time.

   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

 OrionHunter88 wrote:
This reviewer - has done many JoyToy reviews - endorses the flyima website. Or that's where he gets his stuff from anyways.

Promising but I'm still poking around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxUuCVlK-o&t=11s

I've ordered from BBTS and know they are reputable and treat packaging with care (unlike amazon/randos on ebay). But it's over a $100 difference so its worth checking into a bit. I want the full warband. All 6 from BBTS are $455. flyima is $319 with a 15% off pre-order discount code from their 'spin the wheel' popup. Not to mention cheaper shipping and taxes.

I did email BBTS if they were going to do a package deal and they responded that that don't know but it is a possibility. Considering they haven't put the Space Wolves up yet I'm biding my time.



Not interested in the Wolves but if they did all the chaos in a package for cheaper than buying separate id do that but I didn't want to miss out. The first 2 sets of Incursors and Incessors (spelling) I missed out on so ill pre-order on BBTS and if I find them elsewhere for cheaper ill buy there and cancel with BBTS because trust me these are gonna sell.

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

Here are some more figures soon to be coming out

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.26.26 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.26.08 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.25.43 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.25.29 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.25.12 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.24.40 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.24.23 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.23.53 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.23.29 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.22.50 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.22.25 AM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

There is a rumor that the Thousand Sons will be coming out and Xenos too.

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer





Mississippi

Damn, these are cool. Do wish they had other chapters besides Ultras, though.

I may have to at least pick up the Aggressors, maybe the Inceptors.

It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
Gargantuan Gargant






These actually look really rad, definitely a lot better than the lacklustre looking MacFarlane ones. Hoping they make Tempestus Scions/Kasrkin or an Ork unit at some point, I'd totally pick one up.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Tavis75 wrote:
counterfeit LEGO


Unless it falsely claims to be "LEGO" on the box, using copies of the official Lego logos and marks, it is absolutely not "counterfeit".

From a legal standpoint, Legos are effectively no different than the nuts and bolts (or other standardized plumbing, electrical or other hardware fittings) that you would find at a hardware store. You pay more for official Lego product, because of the Lego name and history, but the patent on the block and stud/socket design expired many decades ago, so the bricks themselves are currently public domain. As a result, any company can legally produce compatible or identical items, subject to the inherent physical dimensions of the thing. There are several legitimate Chinese companies making compatible blocks of equal (or greater) quality and precision, sold across Asia at prices that are far more affordable.

This is why Lego has gone really deep into "weird" (non-rectangular) bricks (which enjoy some limited protection) and licensing, as it's harder for other companies to buy licenses from Disney, Marvel, Harry Potter, etc. Those licenses are expensive, and jack the price up to create a price premium that prevents competition in the US and Europe, also allowing Lego to position themselves as a premium / semi-luxury product. As for the kits, most of that is a recipe to make a thing. The functional, mechanical Instructions of how to assemble an object by push-fit aren't IP any more than a generic recipe to make apple pie. It's entirely why Lego basically stopped building things with the basic rectangular bricks of 40+ years ago.

Finally, as a WTO member, China does have IP protection. They produce a not inconsiderable amount of domestic IP, such as Genshin Impact, that drives a not inconsiderable amount of money. Lego chooses not to sue them for the same reason GW no longer sues third parties making compatible products: the risk of a well-argued defeat could be very damaging to what little IP they still have. The only real legal challenge would be if the licensors (eg. Disney, Marvel, Harry Potter) brought suit against unlicensed products using specific names and likenesses, but that's different from counterfeiting. In this case, the licensors could win, and those companies would change to selling 'princess', 'superhero', and 'wizard' kits. The problem being that many of the products aren't exact matches to the source material, and it's entirely legal to use names of things, which is why you can sell a replacement hood for a 1965 Mustang or 1969 Camaro SS. As with Lego, licensors suing unlicensed manufacturers opens the risk to a loss, which would devalue the license itself. Because China is a WTO member, such losses could have global impacts. Therefore, because these items basically only circulate within Asia and Lego has the premium branding and license, everyone just leaves well enough alone, rather than risking a loss that craters the entire thing around the world.

tl;dr, there are a plethora of unlicensed Lego-compatible kits in China, rather than counterfeit not-Lego kits claiming to be "Lego".

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 JohnHwangDD wrote:
Tavis75 wrote:
counterfeit LEGO


Unless it falsely claims to be "LEGO" on the box, using copies of the official Lego logos and marks, it is absolutely not "counterfeit".

From a legal standpoint, Legos are effectively no different than the nuts and bolts (or other standardized plumbing, electrical or other hardware fittings) that you would find at a hardware store. You pay more for official Lego product, because of the Lego name and history, but the patent on the block and stud/socket design expired many decades ago, so the bricks themselves are currently public domain. As a result, any company can legally produce compatible or identical items, subject to the inherent physical dimensions of the thing. There are several legitimate Chinese companies making compatible blocks of equal (or greater) quality and precision, sold across Asia at prices that are far more affordable.

This is why Lego has gone really deep into "weird" (non-rectangular) bricks (which enjoy some limited protection) and licensing, as it's harder for other companies to buy licenses from Disney, Marvel, Harry Potter, etc. Those licenses are expensive, and jack the price up to create a price premium that prevents competition in the US and Europe, also allowing Lego to position themselves as a premium / semi-luxury product. As for the kits, most of that is a recipe to make a thing. The functional, mechanical Instructions of how to assemble an object by push-fit aren't IP any more than a generic recipe to make apple pie. It's entirely why Lego basically stopped building things with the basic rectangular bricks of 40+ years ago.

Finally, as a WTO member, China does have IP protection. They produce a not inconsiderable amount of domestic IP, such as Genshin Impact, that drives a not inconsiderable amount of money. Lego chooses not to sue them for the same reason GW no longer sues third parties making compatible products: the risk of a well-argued defeat could be very damaging to what little IP they still have. The only real legal challenge would be if the licensors (eg. Disney, Marvel, Harry Potter) brought suit against unlicensed products using specific names and likenesses, but that's different from counterfeiting. In this case, the licensors could win, and those companies would change to selling 'princess', 'superhero', and 'wizard' kits. The problem being that many of the products aren't exact matches to the source material, and it's entirely legal to use names of things, which is why you can sell a replacement hood for a 1965 Mustang or 1969 Camaro SS. As with Lego, licensors suing unlicensed manufacturers opens the risk to a loss, which would devalue the license itself. Because China is a WTO member, such losses could have global impacts. Therefore, because these items basically only circulate within Asia and Lego has the premium branding and license, everyone just leaves well enough alone, rather than risking a loss that craters the entire thing around the world.

tl;dr, there are a plethora of unlicensed Lego-compatible kits in China, rather than counterfeit not-Lego kits claiming to be "Lego".


The sets appear to be direct copies of Lego sets, including licensed properties (Star Wars being an obvious one), so I would assume there are IP issues there, both from the use of the designs from the licensee (names are changed, but still obviously vehicles designs etc. from those licensees) and I would also assume the design of the sets themselves, the bricks themselves may be legal but I would assume that a straight up copy of how they are assembled would be covered by some copyright.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Tavis75 wrote:
The sets appear to be direct copies of Lego sets, including licensed properties (Star Wars being an obvious one), so I would assume there are IP issues there, both from the use of the designs from the licensee (names are changed, but still obviously vehicles designs etc. from those licensees) and I would also assume the design of the sets themselves, the bricks themselves may be legal but I would assume that a straight up copy of how they are assembled would be covered by some copyright.


I basically covered all of that above:

* Selling "a direct copy of a Lego set" is like selling a bag of containing a particular mix of nuts and bolts of various sizes. There is nothing there.

* Selling something that sorta looks like a Star Wars X-Wing isn't an IP issue, because bricks can't reproduce the thing exactly due to the brick/plate/stud resolution being much lower. It's not an exact match of a Star Wars X-Wing design.

* Following a recipe that makes a thing isn't protected at all, because it's a mechanical process. The only copyright issue would be if they copied the Lego instructions exactly as-is, including unnecessary artistic storytelling / background elements. If the instructions are purely instructional, there is no copyright protection whatsoever.

In short, there is almost nothing that Lego or Star Wars can sue any of them over, because it's almost certain that none of them have actually broken any IP laws. The only potential bit is licensing, if they included any licensed IP (ie. official movie artwork, descriptions, stories, etc). If the artwork and instructions are pure vanilla, and the only usage is nominative ("Star Wars X-Wing"), then they have no actual case whatsoever.


Note that if these things actually were somehow protected, then kids trying to make a Star Wars X-Wing would be guilty of IP infringement. If someone modified the "official" X-wing design, they could also be sued for unauthorized, unlicensed derivative works. It produces some extremely perverse results that would make GW salivate, because they would be able to sue GW hobbyists for making unauthorized unlicensed derivative works. It would basically destroy the entire point of building toys, not that the current push for licensed kits with specific parts doesn't kinda do that already...

   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

Can we get back to the topic please

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/19 23:41:52


John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer





Mississippi

Has anybody bought the ones that have been released? Thoughts and/or pictures of them in the wild?

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Experienced Saurus Scar-Veteran





California the Southern


I had some on the table just the other day in fact!




Solid construction, robust articulation, nice paint jobs, in scale with other 1/18 figures (meaning they'll be BIG), decent optional parts including heads and weapons... if you're into collectible figures and 40k I'd say it's a pretty good match!

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in gb
Calculating Commissar






Reading, Berks

They do look really nice. I'd be down for a set of Necromunda figures

   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

 Stormonu wrote:
Has anybody bought the ones that have been released? Thoughts and/or pictures of them in the wild?


IMG_1006 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

These are the ones I have and they are very good quality
Better than Bandai and McFarline
at 25-45 USD per figure they aren't that much more than some of the WH40 model figures and way more playable

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

 usmcchet9296 wrote:
at 25-45 USD per figure they aren't that much more than some of the WH40 model figures and way more playable


I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry when I hear how much 40k costs now.

   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

 JohnHwangDD wrote:
 usmcchet9296 wrote:
at 25-45 USD per figure they aren't that much more than some of the WH40 model figures and way more playable


I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry when I hear how much 40k costs now.


Yeah for what you get its comical and we just buy it anyway

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka












Just to keep it going...

The real question- WHERE ARE MY ORKS?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/26 01:09:07




At Games Workshop, we believe that how you behave does matter. We believe this so strongly that we have written it down in the Games Workshop Book. There is a section in the book where we talk about the values we expect all staff to demonstrate in their working lives. These values are Lawyers, Guns and Money. 
   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-seC566YA

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
Made in au
Sinister Chaos Marine





Cairns, Australia

I'm not so much into the CSM Termies but those Chaos Marines are old school and I want them. Sadly, my wife would likely divorce me if I spent ~AUD$450+ on a half-dozen plastic toys to just put on the shelf and look at.

Oh well, I'm glad they exist.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Tampa,FL USA

New wave up on BigBadToyStore.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

 Aspiring Champion wrote:
I'm not so much into the CSM Termies but those Chaos Marines are old school and I want them. Sadly, my wife would likely divorce me if I spent ~AUD$450+ on a half-dozen plastic toys to just put on the shelf and look at.

Oh well, I'm glad they exist.


They are action figures. You can (and should) play with them just like the small GI Joes!

Better yet, buy the CSM Termies and someone for them to kill, and play a really large scale game of Kill Team!


   
Made in us
Space Marine Scout with Sniper Rifle





Texas

 Platuan4th wrote:
New wave up on BigBadToyStore.

I got the Reivers and the Captain but passed on the others. My jaw kinda dropped at the price of the Chaos Marines. The last wave they weren't that expensive.

John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi
 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: