Switch Theme:

Battletech - new starter sets coming soon  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 Albertorius wrote:
 Mattlov wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
So... CGL is still CGL. In other news, water is still wet!


This isn't CGL. This is China messing with the country that decided to start a trade war with them.


Of course. That's why FFG has been suffering the same delays.

Oh wait. No, they haven't.


FFG is much bigger then CGL So I imagine they are prioritized etc, despite the age and pedigree of Battletech as a whole CGL is a pretty small company and lacks the clout of even some of the larger gaming companies (not that even the big ones have a lot of clout) they're not getting rich making Battletech.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Mattlov wrote:
This isn't CGL. This is China messing with the country that decided to start a trade war with them.
You're not seriously suggesting that the new BattleTech is delayed because of Trump are you, because that's one mighty fine stretch.


 torgoch wrote:
I don’t normally post much anymore but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!
I don't think the Clans ruined anything.

   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 torgoch wrote:
I don’t normally post much anymore but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!

I don't think the Clans ruined anything.

The Word of Blake and their temper tantrum are the ones who ruined everything...

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in gb
Krazed Killa Kan




Monarchy of TBD

 Ghaz wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 torgoch wrote:
I don’t normally post much anymore but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!

I don't think the Clans ruined anything.

The Word of Blake and their temper tantrum are the ones who ruined everything...


The Blessed Blake apologizes for the nuclear fires which spontaneously consumed so many vile heretics and enemies of our peaceful cybernetic movement. In our defense, we warned you. Also-

Spoiler:

Klawz-Ramming is a subset of citrus fruit?
Gwar- "And everyone wants a bigger Spleen!"
Mercurial wrote:
I admire your aplomb and instate you as Baron of the Seas and Lord Marshall of Privateers.
Orkeosaurus wrote:Star Trek also said we'd have X-Wings by now. We all see how that prediction turned out.
Orkeosaurus, on homophobia, the nature of homosexuality, and the greatness of George Takei.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleyways and mugs them for loose grammar.

 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

 torgoch wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:


Then again, some people still think the Clans ruined everything.


^^^THIS

I don’t normally post much anymore but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!


You are not alone in this belief. It was an unwanted attempt to patch to the game.

It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 Stormonu wrote:
 torgoch wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:


Then again, some people still think the Clans ruined everything.


^^^THIS

I don’t normally post much anymore but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!


You are not alone in this belief. It was an unwanted attempt to patch to the game.


the problems with the clans can be addressed in two ways, narraitive and balance, from a balance POV the addition of a seperate tech base did add an unnesscary complication. even the writers I belive have said that in retrospect clantech may have been a mistake.

Narratively well.. opinions are opinions.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/09/11 02:06:33


Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Warning From Magnus? Not Listening!





Rampton, UK


I was a fan of the clan stuff, I have always thought balance was overrated anyway !



Not read this entire thread but I am just hoping for some new sculpts to be honest.
   
Made in se
Fresh-Faced New User



Karlstad, Sweden

Cergorach wrote:
I see this going the same way as many of the previous starter sets with minis, out of stock most of the time...


Hopefully not. Apparently this one is actually priced to make a profit for Catalyst, so it will be easier to order new runs.

The old one(s) were priced low to draw in new people, which made it hard to keep in production for a small outfit like Catalyst. Especially since the sets were snapped up by oldtimers looking for cheap minis rather than new players.
Ooops.

So the story goes on the BT forums at least. We will see...
   
Made in us
Gun Mage




I dunno if the Clans themselves were necessarily a bad thing. In the fluff they were massively out numbered and their win condition really meant nothing to their opponents. They had a major tech advantage but that started to evaporate quickly by Tukayyid.

Post-Refusal War has some interesting concepts (Ghost Bear and Snow Ravens merging with smaller states, Diamond Shark/Sea Fox turning into wandering merchants, and the Wars of Reaving where the home clans ate themselves).

In game though, their biggest fans always seemed to be the type of people who liked to munchkin their battles.

Personally I thought the whole Dark Ages (as well as large chunks of the Jihad) thing was a bigger problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/09/11 16:09:17


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Los Angeles

nobody wrote:
Personally I thought the whole Dark Ages (as well as large chunks of the Jihad) thing was a bigger problem.


Yeah, FanPro allowing authors to run rough shod over the setting and turning official products into glorified fan fictions was problematic for me. Looking at your Warner Doles.
   
Made in gb
Camouflaged Ariadna Scout




United Kingdom

Aww man. Guess that means we won't be seeing it in the UK until Q1 next year. At least that gives me time to sell my current intro box!

   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 DarkTraveler777 wrote:
nobody wrote:
Personally I thought the whole Dark Ages (as well as large chunks of the Jihad) thing was a bigger problem.


Yeah, FanPro allowing authors to run rough shod over the setting and turning official products into glorified fan fictions was problematic for me. Looking at your Warner Doles.


you mean when well writing Guide to covert Ops Warner randomly re-wrote the entire history for Free Capella (they never should have allowed him to touch the faction he had a char named after him for) so that they where always capellan loyalists? or even worse when he, on the offical website wrote that House Davion had started the sucession wars (not the 4th sucession war. ALL of them) I called him out on that one and the excuse he gave was pretty lame.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Manchester, England

I sometimes wonder if the Battletech license had been allowed to just sit around, gathering a bit of dust for a few years, if that would have been such a bad thing... Imagine, if you want to upset yourself, that Fantasy Flight Games had decided to pick it up and test the waters with a well-made starter box with a decent promotion campaign behind it, followed up by a bunch of decent, worthwhile expansion boxes covering different historical periods. No jumped up fanfic, just good products with decent print runs to restock when they ran out with expert game designers and decent writers that understood their source material (maybe even, y'know, freelancers, but freelancers that, I dunno, get paid)...

Instead of the CGL charlatans who, in spite of being very enthusiastic when not covering up massive financial impropriety, have simply NEVER really been able to handle the license well.

It's sad. The small, barely-hanging-on fanbase appears to be just large enough to provide CGL the meagre profits necessary to sit on the license for long stretches of time while doing nothing but offering up glorified novellas in RPG-sourcebook format every 3-5 years.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

FFG making BTech? So endless cards, billions of tokens, plus proprietary dice and measuring devices?

No thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/09/21 00:57:17


   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 ekwatts wrote:
I sometimes wonder if the Battletech license had been allowed to just sit around, gathering a bit of dust for a few years, if that would have been such a bad thing... Imagine, if you want to upset yourself, that Fantasy Flight Games had decided to pick it up and test the waters with a well-made starter box with a decent promotion campaign behind it, followed up by a bunch of decent, worthwhile expansion boxes covering different historical periods. No jumped up fanfic, just good products with decent print runs to restock when they ran out with expert game designers and decent writers that understood their source material (maybe even, y'know, freelancers, but freelancers that, I dunno, get paid)...

Instead of the CGL charlatans who, in spite of being very enthusiastic when not covering up massive financial impropriety, have simply NEVER really been able to handle the license well.

It's sad. The small, barely-hanging-on fanbase appears to be just large enough to provide CGL the meagre profits necessary to sit on the license for long stretches of time while doing nothing but offering up glorified novellas in RPG-sourcebook format every 3-5 years.



Nah, any other company that did battletech'd proably take the basic setting and do their own "version" of it. we'd get something like MWDA. no thanks.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Los Angeles

BrianDavion wrote:
 DarkTraveler777 wrote:
nobody wrote:
Personally I thought the whole Dark Ages (as well as large chunks of the Jihad) thing was a bigger problem.


Yeah, FanPro allowing authors to run rough shod over the setting and turning official products into glorified fan fictions was problematic for me. Looking at your Warner Doles.


you mean when well writing Guide to covert Ops Warner randomly re-wrote the entire history for Free Capella (they never should have allowed him to touch the faction he had a char named after him for) so that they where always capellan loyalists? or even worse when he, on the offical website wrote that House Davion had started the sucession wars (not the 4th sucession war. ALL of them) I called him out on that one and the excuse he gave was pretty lame.


Exactly. That was a real low point for Battletech IMO, and turned me off completely on all of the story lines FanPro introduced. It is pretty much why I stopped the timeline at 3067, and mainly hang in the 3030's for games and unit building.
   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 DarkTraveler777 wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 DarkTraveler777 wrote:
nobody wrote:
Personally I thought the whole Dark Ages (as well as large chunks of the Jihad) thing was a bigger problem.


Yeah, FanPro allowing authors to run rough shod over the setting and turning official products into glorified fan fictions was problematic for me. Looking at your Warner Doles.


you mean when well writing Guide to covert Ops Warner randomly re-wrote the entire history for Free Capella (they never should have allowed him to touch the faction he had a char named after him for) so that they where always capellan loyalists? or even worse when he, on the offical website wrote that House Davion had started the sucession wars (not the 4th sucession war. ALL of them) I called him out on that one and the excuse he gave was pretty lame.


Exactly. That was a real low point for Battletech IMO, and turned me off completely on all of the story lines FanPro introduced. It is pretty much why I stopped the timeline at 3067, and mainly hang in the 3030's for games and unit building.


guide to covert ops was a horriable book, apparently for some reason they didn't have an editor, but yeah, there was also the FCCW a terriably black and white concept that they kept insisting was grey

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Protoculturist






RVA

CGL once made me wait a year and a half for a refund on a product I bought from their webstore.

Just to give you some context for what they might mean by “delay.”

   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 Manchu wrote:
CGL once made me wait a year and a half for a refund on a product I bought from their webstore.

Just to give you some context for what they might mean by “delay.”


jebus, thats insane. a refund is simple eneugh to do.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Manchester, England

BrianDavion wrote:
 Manchu wrote:
CGL once made me wait a year and a half for a refund on a product I bought from their webstore.

Just to give you some context for what they might mean by “delay.”


jebus, thats insane. a refund is simple eneugh to do.


They probably needed to wait for Loren Coleman to finish having his house underpinned and the swimming pool in his garden expanded before they could afford to send the refund through.

All about priorities.

On-topic, anybody else a little miffed that we're now just over two months away from Christmas with no news at all on the status of the box sets? At this rate we're close to ending up with the first expansion for the Battletech video game released before the actual starter sets.
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

 ekwatts wrote:


On-topic, anybody else a little miffed that we're now just over two months away from Christmas with no news at all on the status of the box sets? At this rate we're close to ending up with the first expansion for the Battletech video game released before the actual starter sets.


*raises hand*

I did a small game a couple of weeks ago with 3rd ed figures, and it had me chomping at the bit to buy into the new set. The fire has cooled since then, and I’m sure I am not the only one whose burning pockets have had funds mysteriously allocated elsewhere.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Manchester, England

My hankering after some small-scale action with stompy robots has led to me dusting off my old epic collection and adding a new Adeptus Titanicus Reaver to the ranks of my space marines (looks fine, by the way- the 8mm to 6mm conversion looks even better with more "modern" looking Epic vehicles like Vanguard Miniatures stuff since the original Epic vehicles were out of scale anyway).

I'm now looking at adding some Warhounds and maybe some more Epic proxies to fill out the ranks. Battletech may have just dropped off my shopping list for the next six months. If it even comes out within that timeframe anyway!
   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 ekwatts wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Manchu wrote:
CGL once made me wait a year and a half for a refund on a product I bought from their webstore.

Just to give you some context for what they might mean by “delay.”


jebus, thats insane. a refund is simple eneugh to do.


They probably needed to wait for Loren Coleman to finish having his house underpinned and the swimming pool in his garden expanded before they could afford to send the refund through.

All about priorities.

On-topic, anybody else a little miffed that we're now just over two months away from Christmas with no news at all on the status of the box sets? At this rate we're close to ending up with the first expansion for the Battletech video game released before the actual starter sets.


yeah Loren's mistake (and it was a mistake) certainly made things difficult.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






I wouldn’t expect them for Christmas. Catalyst take geological eras to release product.

"The Omnissiah is my Moderati" 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

BrianDavion wrote:
yeah Loren's mistake (and it was a mistake) certainly made things difficult.
It was also nearly a decade ago, so...

   
Made in us
Wicked Warp Spider





Chicago

Trying to keep the flame burning, here's a small Periphery village I painted up:

https://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2018/10/6mm-sci-fi-buildings.html#comments

   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





Looks nice.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Boxed set update from Catalyst:
No tricks this Halloween, but a small treat for BattleTech players – we’ve got some new information about the much-anticipated “BattleTech Beginner Box” and “BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat” boxed sets.

We have confirmed that the full run of both sets has been printed, and shipped from China on Tuesday, Oct. 30. They’re making their way across the high seas, and are expected in port on the East Coast of the United States on Nov. 26. After about a week to clear customs, they’re scheduled for arrival at our distributor on Dec. 3. At that point, we should be able to offer a more specific street date for these products.

Remember that these dates are estimates only–things like weather and other physical delays can and do occur in maritime shipping. We’ll keep you updated as we continue to track the shipment’s progress.

   
Made in gb
Devious Space Marine dedicated to Tzeentch




Manchester, England

It's amazing that the street date for these sets is more and more likely to be early 2019. Not surprising... but you would have thought that they'd have gone the extra mile to ensure that this whole process didn't turn into a debacle like... well, all their other debacles.

Welp, I guess I'll put aside some cash to grab a few before they go immediately out of print, come back again, go away again, then finally disappear for good with no comment at all from CGL until they start talking about the next big starter set in 2024.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I think that once you've given the factory your money (unless you're a big repeat business partner) you pretty much have to lie back and wait,

That's certainly the case when trying to get space on ships too


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: