Switch Theme:

End times - female SM?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in dk
Been Around the Block




I foresee that there will come female space marines with the end times. That the Emperor finally have figured out how to make them and Rowboat will execute the vision that he was given when meeting with his father.

(GW smelled the coffee at long last and found a pretext how to implement females to the chapters)

   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





and I forsee that the Battle for Terra will be decided by an epic Dance off between Lukas the Trickster and Lucis the Eternal.

ya know if we're just gonna randomly make stuff up

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant




I would rather not. If GW truly wants to deal with the 'sexism' part of 40k, turn to Guard. Or better yet, Sisters.

SM are male. End of story. I could see that they could do it with this whole new project, but I'd not like it. SM are male. SoB are female. Guard are both (kind of)

Here is how I'd add more girls to the lot.

- Plastic sisters

- Female Guard

- Female Guard leaders (Emperor knows the Guard have a lack of heroes)

- Female Chaos Cultists

- Female Inquistionarial Agents (Tempestus, and such)

Orks are a fungi

Tau were body suits

Necrons are dead

Eldar were suits but perhaps could have more female. Same with DE and that new one

Nids are bugs



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/09 00:15:15


"Enemies of the Imperium, hear me. You have come here to die. The Immortal Emperor is with us and we are invincible. His soldiers will strike you down. His war machines will crush you under their treads. His mighty guns will bring the very sky crashing down upon you. You cannot win. The Emperor has given us His greatest weapon to wield. So make yourselves ready. We are the First Kronus Regiment, and today is our Victory Day. " - Governor-Militant Lukas Alexander, Commander 1st Kronus Regiment 
   
Made in us
Hellacious Havoc






Tacoma, WA

I am not wrapped up in the 40K lore nearly enough to care either way.

I can see the tough bind Games Workshop is in there. One the hand, there is a very vocal minority saying there needs to be female space marines or 40K is sexist.

The problem I see is that even if GW does bend to this, the female space marines are going to sell that great. Smaller numbers that plastic Sisters of Battle which I also don't really think are going to sell that well. Note: those wanting these things, even if it is really, really, really bad, doesn't translate into huge profits, but I do think plastic SoB would be profitable, just not as much as a bunch of other 40K stuff would.

On the other hand, there are dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore fans that don't want to see female space marines as it breaks on of the longest lasting immutable pieces of 40K. I can see how that really breaks their immersion with the game as it feels like a chance just to appease some people without any real substance to the actual setting or game.

Me, I ultimately come down on the side of keeping the boy's only space marine club. Right or wrong, that is how 40K was written. It goes along with the whole the Imperium of Man is most authoritarian, worst government regime humanity has ever suffer because without it mankind is doomed. Which I think is as equally as dumb as a concept, but that's the setting. I also don't really see how gender could help me better identify with magic superhuman brainwashed space warrior-monks some 30,000 plus years in the future.

But like I said, I don't really care either way. I actually am more upset that I can paint American WWII infantry squads in darker tones (and be historically accurate) as the army wasn't integrated at that point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/09 00:19:18


1200pts Black Legion Background Fluff

750pts Fallen Dark Angels Background Fluff 
   
Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor




 Saturmorn Carvilli wrote:
I am not wrapped up in the 40K lore nearly enough to care either way.

I can see the tough bind Games Workshop is in there. One the hand, there is a very vocal minority saying there needs to be female space marines or 40K is sexist.

The problem I see is that even if GW does bend to this, the female space marines are going to sell that great. Smaller numbers that plastic Sisters of Battle which I also don't really think are going to sell that well. Note: those wanting these things, even if it is really, really, really bad, doesn't translate into huge profits, but I do think plastic SoB would be profitable, just not as much as a bunch of other 40K stuff would.

On the other hand, there are dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore fans that don't want to see female space marines as it breaks on of the longest lasting immutable pieces of 40K. I can see how that really breaks their immersion with the game as it feels like a chance just to appease some people without any real substance to the actual setting or game.

Me, I ultimately come down on the side of keeping the boy's only space marine club. Right or wrong, that is how 40K was written. It goes along with the whole the Imperium of Man is most authoritarian, worst government regime humanity has ever suffer because without it mankind is doomed. Which I think is as equally as dumb as a concept, but that's the setting. I also don't really see how gender could help me better identify with magic superhuman brainwashed space warrior-monks some 30,000 plus years in the future.

But like I said, I don't really care either way. I actually am more upset that I can paint American WWII infantry squads in darker tones (and be historically accurate) as the army wasn't integrated at that point.


I disagree about plastic sisters of battle. The thing about SoB is that only 2 companies on the planet make models that follow even close to that 'gothic nuns with guns' aesthetic and one of those companies chose to make them look more like call girls than either nuns or soldiers.

Combine that with 20 years of pent up demand, the potential draw to minority player groups like females and the circumstantial evidence that Celestine sold amazingly well and the Resin Canoness has been going out of stock every 3 days or so since they released her and I think you have a case for something that would sell as well or better than niche armies like Dark Eldar or Harlequins or even possibly Grey Knights.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade






I would buy plastic SoB no question. Female SM, not so much. I don't care whose feelings are hurt by one faction in a niche sci-fi IP not having female members, for reasons which are fully supported by internal narrative logic. The only reason to press the issue is to use 40k as a wedge issue in cultural warfare, and anyone who has that kind of motivation can go... entertain themselves somewhere else.

 
   
Made in us
Hellacious Havoc






Tacoma, WA

ERJAK wrote:
I disagree about plastic sisters of battle. The thing about SoB is that only 2 companies on the planet make models that follow even close to that 'gothic nuns with guns' aesthetic and one of those companies chose to make them look more like call girls than either nuns or soldiers.

Combine that with 20 years of pent up demand, the potential draw to minority player groups like females and the circumstantial evidence that Celestine sold amazingly well and the Resin Canoness has been going out of stock every 3 days or so since they released her and I think you have a case for something that would sell as well or better than niche armies like Dark Eldar or Harlequins or even possibly Grey Knights.


That's what I was getting at. I think there isn't actually that large of a number of people that want plastic Sisters of Battle. However, most of those that do want them really, really want them. I mean way more than just about any player wants anything for their favorite faction. I also believe that this reasoning is shared by GW and why they haven't bothered with Plastic Sisters of Battle yet. Sure, they would make these people really, really happy, but ultimately GW could make more money just releasing space marines with a new hat.

However-However-However, this is neither here nor there for this thread and has a high chance of de-railing an already unstable topic with a very high chance (like a 2+ or something) of being locked. I know you (and many like you) disagree. I know you really want those plastic Sisters of Battle. I want you to have them. But wanting something doesn't equal it happening. If it did, I would be enjoying watching the 4th season of Firefly tonight.

1200pts Black Legion Background Fluff

750pts Fallen Dark Angels Background Fluff 
   
Made in dk
Been Around the Block




Edit: I'm wrong!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/09 00:53:02


 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade






They have to release plastic SoB sometime.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
HexHammer wrote:
CommanderRednaxela wrote:
SM are male. End of story.

 Saturmorn Carvilli wrote:
hardcore fans that don't want to see female space marines as it breaks on of the longest lasting immutable pieces of 40K. I can see how that really breaks their immersion with the game as it feels like a chance just to appease some people without any real substance to the actual setting or game.

Me, I ultimately come down on the side of keeping the boy's only space marine club. Right or wrong, that is how 40K was written.
Not quite there are already semi female SM, in Dawn of War 3 there are female Imperial Knight pilot, and GW has to approve of all changes to lore that Relic the game dev makes, else the lawyers will mercilessly hammer them ..till they fall!

Dawn of War 3 (computer game) wrote:Gabriel Angelos and his Blood Ravens, along with Lady Solaria and her Imperial Knight walker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Dawn_of_War_III



Nope, Imperial Knights come from houses of nobles within the Imperium and are independent of the Astartes. They even go over that in the game itself

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/09 00:47:02


 
   
Made in es
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon




Vigo. Spain.

 Saturmorn Carvilli wrote:
ERJAK wrote:
I disagree about plastic sisters of battle. The thing about SoB is that only 2 companies on the planet make models that follow even close to that 'gothic nuns with guns' aesthetic and one of those companies chose to make them look more like call girls than either nuns or soldiers.

Combine that with 20 years of pent up demand, the potential draw to minority player groups like females and the circumstantial evidence that Celestine sold amazingly well and the Resin Canoness has been going out of stock every 3 days or so since they released her and I think you have a case for something that would sell as well or better than niche armies like Dark Eldar or Harlequins or even possibly Grey Knights.


That's what I was getting at. I think there isn't actually that large of a number of people that want plastic Sisters of Battle. However, most of those that do want them really, really want them. I mean way more than just about any player wants anything for their favorite faction. I also believe that this reasoning is shared by GW and why they haven't bothered with Plastic Sisters of Battle yet. Sure, they would make these people really, really happy, but ultimately GW could make more money just releasing space marines with a new hat.

However-However-However, this is neither here nor there for this thread and has a high chance of de-railing an already unstable topic with a very high chance (like a 2+ or something) of being locked. I know you (and many like you) disagree. I know you really want those plastic Sisters of Battle. I want you to have them. But wanting something doesn't equal it happening. If it did, I would be enjoying watching the 4th season of Firefly tonight.


The succes of Shieldwolf Kickstarter featuring female barbarians and the gigantic success of Raging Heroes with all of their "Toughtess Girls in the Galaxy" KS should prove that theres market for female models. And not small.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/tgg2-light-and-darkness

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy

But I agree. I don't want female space marines. I want female Imperial Troopers, I want female Imperial Guard heroes, plastic Sisters of Battle, female Tau heads, etc... in general, I want a correct representation of the fluff in the models. If something is of mixed gender in the fluff, make it mixed gender in the miniatures. Is that easy.
Female miniatures can be buyed by both male and female customers. Just like male miniatures can be buyed by female and male customers. The "Girls don't buy miniatures" is a sell fullfilling circle of logic thinking. Is just like Space Marines. "Space Marines are the biggest sellers, so they give them all the attention, so they sell more, etc. etc..."
Plastic Sisters of battle, if they someday do it, will sell like hotcackes. If only by the hype they will cause about it.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/05/09 00:55:14


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in dk
Been Around the Block




 Luciferian wrote:
Nope, Imperial Knights come from houses of nobles within the Imperium and are independent of the Astartes. They even go over that in the game itself
Fiiineeee ..I've edited my ignorant post!! ............sob!!!
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade






HexHammer wrote:
Fiiineeee ..I've edited my ignorant post!! ............sob!!!

There, there. I didn't mean to snap at you.

 
   
Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor




 Saturmorn Carvilli wrote:
ERJAK wrote:
I disagree about plastic sisters of battle. The thing about SoB is that only 2 companies on the planet make models that follow even close to that 'gothic nuns with guns' aesthetic and one of those companies chose to make them look more like call girls than either nuns or soldiers.

Combine that with 20 years of pent up demand, the potential draw to minority player groups like females and the circumstantial evidence that Celestine sold amazingly well and the Resin Canoness has been going out of stock every 3 days or so since they released her and I think you have a case for something that would sell as well or better than niche armies like Dark Eldar or Harlequins or even possibly Grey Knights.


That's what I was getting at. I think there isn't actually that large of a number of people that want plastic Sisters of Battle. However, most of those that do want them really, really want them. I mean way more than just about any player wants anything for their favorite faction. I also believe that this reasoning is shared by GW and why they haven't bothered with Plastic Sisters of Battle yet. Sure, they would make these people really, really happy, but ultimately GW could make more money just releasing space marines with a new hat.

However-However-However, this is neither here nor there for this thread and has a high chance of de-railing an already unstable topic with a very high chance (like a 2+ or something) of being locked. I know you (and many like you) disagree. I know you really want those plastic Sisters of Battle. I want you to have them. But wanting something doesn't equal it happening. If it did, I would be enjoying watching the 4th season of Firefly tonight.


That's true of every faction though. Why come out with new nids, or eldar, or tau, or chaos, or admech, or orks, or or or or or or or or or oror...when making new marines with a new hat is more profitable.

And no, wanting things doesn't make them happen...always but it sure did make Genestealer Cult happen didn't it?

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in ca
Purposeful Hammerhead Pilot






I don't care that there are no female space marines. A space marine isn't really male or human anymore in any relevant sense.

I do, however, want plastic Sisters of Battle.

   
Made in dk
Been Around the Block




 Luciferian wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
Fiiineeee ..I've edited my ignorant post!! ............sob!!!

There, there. I didn't mean to snap at you.
But still even it's not acceptance females into the chapters it's still acceptance into the army with these female Imperial Knights, there's not real difference.
   
Made in es
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon




Vigo. Spain.

HexHammer wrote:
 Luciferian wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
Fiiineeee ..I've edited my ignorant post!! ............sob!!!

There, there. I didn't mean to snap at you.
But still even it's not acceptance females into the chapters it's still acceptance into the army with these female Imperial Knights, there's not real difference.


The Imperium of Man is no sexist. The number of females in the Imperial Guard has no indication in the lore to assume that is lower that the one of males. Space Marines are a different matter. I'm not gonna explain the reasons they can't be female because they didn't matter really. They just are writted to don't exist. And thats all.

As I said, the biggest problem if the failure to represent correctly the fluff of armies with female units in the model range: Imperial Guard, Taus, Eldar, etc...
I think the best one are the Dark Eldar, they have a good mix in practically every unit.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade






HexHammer wrote:
But still even it's not acceptance females into the chapters it's still acceptance into the army with these female Imperial Knights, there's not real difference.
Sure there's a real difference. A female member of a noble house that pilots Knights in service of the Imperium may be a very well respected and critical member of the Imperial forces, but they're still not a Space Marine.

 
   
Made in us
Heroic Senior Officer





Murray, Kentucky

HexHammer wrote:
I foresee that there will come female space marines with the end times. That the Emperor finally have figured out how to make them and Rowboat will execute the vision that he was given when meeting with his father.

(GW smelled the coffee at long last and found a pretext how to implement females to the chapters)


I really, REALLY, hope not.

On the other hand, new sisters of battle would be ace

'I've played Guard for years, and the best piece of advice is to always utilize the Guard's best special rule: "we roll more dice than you" ' - stormleader

"Sector Imperialis: 25mm and 40mm Round Bases (40+20) 26€ (Including 32 skulls for basing) " GW design philosophy in a nutshell  
   
Made in dk
Been Around the Block




 Luciferian wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
But still even it's not acceptance females into the chapters it's still acceptance into the army with these female Imperial Knights, there's not real difference.
Sure there's a real difference. A female member of a noble house that pilots Knights in service of the Imperium may be a very well respected and critical member of the Imperial forces, but they're still not a Space Marine.
But I'm sure this will be a pretext to introduce females into the SM army with vehicles, Landspeeders and tanks ..etc.
   
Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor




I do think that from a story standpoint, that it would be an interesting thought exercise to examine the great crusade and Horus Heresy if the two missing legions were instead helmed by female primarchs.

If I remember correctly empy's main advisor once suggested that having a sister would diffuse tentions or something similar. Would it? Would it have been any different at all? What would a female primarch act like? It shouldn't be something included in the fluff but it's interesting to think about.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard





Since they'd field complaints no matter what they do I suggest bikini armour.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in us
Mutilatin' Mad Dok




Alaska

I'm not sure what you people are talking about, all of the Armageddon Steel Legion, Death Korps of Krieg and most of the Militarum Tempestus Scions models are female.

Yeah, I'm mostly kidding. Although I do think that if you take a human and load them up with gear and armor it's not necessarily easy to determine their gender from a distance as far as I can tell. If we then shrink said individual down to be a little over 1" tall I think it would be nearly impossible to tell their gender.

I do think it would be good to see more female IG, I just hope that GW doesn't resort to using exaggerated proportions, revealing clothing and/or silly things like high heels and boob plates to do so.* I think that the quality of sculpts is now to the point where they don't have to resort to those measures. Having more named female IG characters seems like it would be a pretty easy way to go about it.
*On the other hand, stomping around an alien hellscape in high heels and a ridiculous armored bra torching daemons with a flamethrower is Metal AF, and that's kind of what 40k is all about, so I can see the appeal. It would just be nice for there to be plenty of "normal" women. Normal being a relative term in 40k.

As far as the new Space Marines being female, if they did that it wouldn't necessarily be bad if they were truly a new type of Space Marine and not just a new type of armor. I wouldn't necessarily want them just getting rid of all the previous fluff and being like"there were female Space Marines all along!", but on the other hand there were the two redacted Legions.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is MOAR DAKKA!  
   
Made in es
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon




Vigo. Spain.

 Dakka Flakka Flame wrote:
I'm not sure what you people are talking about, all of the Armageddon Steel Legion, Death Korps of Krieg and most of the Militarum Tempestus Scions models are female.

Yeah, I'm mostly kidding. Although I do think that if you take a human and load them up with gear and armor it's not necessarily easy to determine their gender from a distance as far as I can tell. If we then shrink said individual down to be a little over 1" tall I think it would be nearly impossible to tell their gender.

I do think it would be good to see more female IG, I just hope that GW doesn't resort to using exaggerated proportions, revealing clothing and/or silly things like high heels and boob plates to do so.* I think that the quality of sculpts is now to the point where they don't have to resort to those measures. Having more named female IG characters seems like it would be a pretty easy way to go about it.
*On the other hand, stomping around an alien hellscape in high heels and a ridiculous armored bra torching daemons with a flamethrower is Metal AF, and that's kind of what 40k is all about, so I can see the appeal. It would just be nice for there to be plenty of "normal" women. Normal being a relative term in 40k.

As far as the new Space Marines being female, if they did that it wouldn't necessarily be bad if they were truly a new type of Space Marine and not just a new type of armor. I wouldn't necessarily want them just getting rid of all the previous fluff and being like"there were female Space Marines all along!", but on the other hand there were the two redacted Legions.


That argumment of "If they do female troopers they can't be different if you dont' sexualice them" is just wrong! You can totally make visible female models in practical armour. And even more with untis like the Cadian troopers that dont' have helmets covering their faces. You are totally correct, GW CAN do it if they want. And I'll proof it.

I will spoiler the gallery because it is gonna be big enough to eliminate one and for all the "In this scale female models just appear male!" if someone reading this think that.

Spoiler:
"Cadian" Female Trooper


A full squad


More Sci-fi girls in practical armour


Just on the face you see is a woman


A Imperial Guard female general


Another Caidan trooper


And I want to post this outside the Spoiler, so everyone can see it. This is a squad of Pathfinders of Mantic's Deadzone. They are great miniatures, and you know what? They come in a mixed-gender box. And you know how they achieve that withot forcing you to anything? The "female bodies" are slightly more slim than the male ones. And you have enough faces to personalice your squad if you want, even a full male squad. But they armours are just the same. Ok, this works better with more realistic proportions like Deadzone or Infinity. But GW does the "best miniatures in the industries", no? They can DO this if they want. Just look at the Stormcast Eternal. One of the best female miniatures in practical armour I have seen. Without boob widow in the pectoral armour, and with a feminine face in the helmet.
(If it is not clear, the female is the second from the left)


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/05/09 02:55:31


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Saturmorn Carvilli wrote:
That's what I was getting at. I think there isn't actually that large of a number of people that want plastic Sisters of Battle. However, most of those that do want them really, really want them. I mean way more than just about any player wants anything for their favorite faction. I also believe that this reasoning is shared by GW and why they haven't bothered with Plastic Sisters of Battle yet. Sure, they would make these people really, really happy, but ultimately GW could make more money just releasing space marines with a new hat.


New SoB they released being regularly out of stock would indicate either there ARE many who want to buy or GW is very cautious about level stocks. Neither of those models is something one player is likely be buying in multiples after all. Especially the canoness.

”Buddhism doesn't tell you what is false and what is true but it encourages you to find out for yourself.” ~ Chogyam Trungpa ~ 
   
Made in us
Mutilatin' Mad Dok




Alaska

 Galas wrote:
That argumment of "If they do female troopers they can't be different if you dont' sexualice them" is just wrong! You can totally make visible female models in practical armour. And even more with untis like the Cadian troopers that dont' have helmets covering their faces.

You're right, but at the same time I don't think I was wrong, I think I was just unclear.

In most of the pictures you post the models that look obviously female are either not wearing lots of armor or have unhelmeted heads. However, wearing 19th/early 20th Century style uniforms and not wearing helmets is pretty common in 40k so that's not a problem. The ones that have hard armor plates on could probably pass for either male or female if they had helmeted heads.

I'm not saying that 28mm models look male, just that they look human. I think they totally could make 28mm models that were more obviously female, just probably not ones with bulky armor and helmeted heads. I don't think we're necessarily in disagreement.


I got a fever, and the only prescription is MOAR DAKKA!  
   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







I foresee that female Space Marines will get casually referenced before getting deleted forever as a giant middle finger to all the speculation. The way they're releasing 7e rules for Marbo mere months before they nuke 7e, and the way they tried teasing plastic Battle Sisters in a troll post right before the Sisters of Silence appeared.

Victoria est autem vita.  
   
Made in au
Infiltrating Broodlord





I want openly gay spacemarines
   
Made in es
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon




Vigo. Spain.

 Dakka Flakka Flame wrote:
 Galas wrote:
That argumment of "If they do female troopers they can't be different if you dont' sexualice them" is just wrong! You can totally make visible female models in practical armour. And even more with untis like the Cadian troopers that dont' have helmets covering their faces.

You're right, but at the same time I don't think I was wrong, I think I was just unclear.

In most of the pictures you post the models that look obviously female are either not wearing lots of armor or have unhelmeted heads. However, wearing 19th/early 20th Century style uniforms and not wearing helmets is pretty common in 40k so that's not a problem. The ones that have hard armor plates on could probably pass for either male or female if they had helmeted heads.

I'm not saying that 28mm models look male, just that they look human. I think they totally could make 28mm models that were more obviously female, just probably not ones with bulky armor and helmeted heads. I don't think we're necessarily in disagreement.


Obviously, making models with bulky armour and and helmeted healms will make them appear female more difficult. They are gonna be more in the genderless side, but even those you can make them slighly more slim/small/etc... but as I said, thats not the problem really. The problem is with units that you can make them female models without any trouble. Imperial Guard Characters, basically every Imperial Guard type of regiment and troop, Tau Firewarriors (Yeah they all look the same, but female Tau's have a Y in the head that the males don't have, and you don't have female bare heads in the kit), etc...

To me, the three Eldar range are a good mix of female and male model, at least in the troop section. The only problem I see is in the special characters. Even the Eldar, being space Elves, where you normally find more females in fantasy/sci-fi, haven't many female characters, even generic ones. Today I saw a female Eldar Seer that was pretty cool for example.
The difference is very subtle, but it is here. And this miniature is from Juan Diaz, from the 1999 you know? 18 years ago.


GodDamUser wrote:
I want openly gay spacemarines


What do you think the Minotaurs do before battle? They are Space Spartans after all

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/05/09 03:22:59


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade






I have to agree with Dakka Flakka, it's pretty difficult to tell which gender IG style models are unless you can clearly see some kind of defining feminine feature like hair or face and body structure. Some of the ones that Galas provided do a good job, but models like the ones in the first couple of pictures might as well be unisex. I do think it would be cool if GW mixed up a lot of IG boxes with female figures, though, or even just more variation in general. More female characters would probably be best, though.

 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





I don't get what the hub-bub is about Space Marines not being women. The way I see it, once you undergo all the surgeries and gene-editing, you're a Space Marine. These new ones could be both men an women, but once inside the armour you wouldn't be able to tell them apart like that.

As such, it'd be like Sigmarines, where they say that there are both men and women, but the changes done to them make them beyond each.

 Galef wrote:
If you refuse to use rock, you will never beat scissors.
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: