Switch Theme:

Nerd Herding  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Furious Fire Dragon





I'm looking for suggestions or comments on growing a gaming club

The club I'm current part of is fairly small maybe 12-15 people on an average club night, with the odd dip for school holidays etc, but we usually cover the hall rental cost, and have limited reserves to cover slow weeks

But we don't seem to be attracting new members, we have a fairly active FB page and the local GW has been helpful in handing out business cards with club details, but to no avail

I'm kind of stumped as to what to do, personally I'm not too bothered as we mostly break even and the club is drama free, but I think some growth would be nice

Have at it Dakka's




"Well, erm, hmm, its alright. We've got understatement. We have strong prevailing South Westerly winds. 52% of our days are overcast, so as a nation we're infused with a wistful melancholy. But we remain a relentlessly chipper population, prone to mild eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence"
 
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




WA, USA

Well, my thought is that by advertising in GW and on a Facebook, you really aren't reaching much of a broad audience. Odds are most of the people who are at those places are already members, or have made their decisions.

My advice would be to broaden out where you are posting the information. Schools could work, but I'm not sure what your local area is like.

 Ouze wrote:

Afterward, Curran killed a guy in the parking lot with a trident.
 
   
Made in gb
Cunning Chieftain






Play some games in the local GW.

Handing out cards is one thing. Personal, face to face invites are another. Especially to attract an older crowd.

See, some people aren't keen on gaming in-store because it's usually filled with teenagers. Nothing against teenagers individually, but as someone with a busy work life, I don't fancy that on a Thursday evening. And many may consider or worry that your club is just more of the same.

So set up some events - perhaps stuff GW stores can't easily offer. Blood Bowl events are easy and very accessible, and it's a popular game. Then promote that in-store (manager can likely pick up internet terminal sales to boot). Give people a reason to come visit. Show your club off at its best

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in es
Brutal Black Orc




Vigo. Spain.

Have a nice enviroment. Throw away toxic people.

It can be worrisome when the "old guys" go away because they aren't really good people for a healthy community, but you'll see that they are easy remplacable by much better gamers.

The most popular gaming club/store in my town is a strictly PEGI 3+ enviroment and like 70% of the gamers are women. The owner is a ex deportists with two little girls that play regularly in the store, and I have seem him throw away more than one guy because he was being socially stupid or just a creep.

Also I run a Wargaming club. Every two saturdays we do open-doors sesions of tabletop and wargaming for children. We hace contacted to our Council and we are officially helped by them now. Normally we hare 5-6 tutors teaching to game to very different games childres between 6 and 12 years.

You end very tired, but the children of today are the gamers of tomorrow. We have some 15-16 years old that are regulars now, very nice teenagers, that began coming to our open sessions.

EDIT: Mad Doc GrotsnikMade has basically say the opposite thing. It all comes down to what do you want. We don't only teach kids how to game, we teach them how to game properly and be respectfull. I have encounter much more socially inadaptable adults or young-adults that teenagers and childres, to be honest. Is not about the biological but the mental age.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/07 17:26:09


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in gb
Furious Fire Dragon





 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Play some games in the local GW.

Handing out cards is one thing. Personal, face to face invites are another. Especially to attract an older crowd.

See, some people aren't keen on gaming in-store because it's usually filled with teenagers. Nothing against teenagers individually, but as someone with a busy work life, I don't fancy that on a Thursday evening. And many may consider or worry that your club is just more of the same.

So set up some events - perhaps stuff GW stores can't easily offer. Blood Bowl events are easy and very accessible, and it's a popular game. Then promote that in-store (manager can likely pick up internet terminal sales to boot). Give people a reason to come visit. Show your club off at its best


Yep the shreikey teenage frothers is part of my aversion to visiting my local GW except for emergency paint supplies (one of the previous managers being a 5 star fupwit didnt help but new guy is decent), but like you say I might have take one for the club and actually go there

Also being outwitted by multi-quote so

@ Galas

Sadly due to insurance and the UK's (thankfully) strict requirements for activities that include minors the club is limited to 18+, the club is pretty free from drama and toxic behaviour

@ curran12

Maybe, guess there's no harm in seeing if the local geek friendly business' will take a poster or flyers, besides the GW the lack of a nearby FLGS is a real bind, as for schools thats unlikely as I said above

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/07 20:15:46


"Well, erm, hmm, its alright. We've got understatement. We have strong prevailing South Westerly winds. 52% of our days are overcast, so as a nation we're infused with a wistful melancholy. But we remain a relentlessly chipper population, prone to mild eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence"
 
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Run demos at local non-GW stores - and hand out cards there.

Ditto for conventions.

Heck - if folks play in a demo or at a convention, give them a card that can be used for a one or two week trial membership.

The Auld Grump - it's what I did for Kings of War

Kilkrazy wrote:When I was a young boy all my wargames were narratively based because I played with my toy soldiers and vehicles without the use of any rules.

The reason I bought rules and became a real wargamer was because I wanted a properly thought out structure to govern the action instead of just making things up as I went along.
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Sentient OverBear






Clearwater, FL

I'd do a simple webpage and do some search engine optimization with it. When I moved to where I am now, I had a devil of a time trying to find game and hobby stores here; it took a lucky Facebook hit to get me in.


DQ:70S++G+++M+B++I+Pw40k94+ID+++A++/sWD178R+++T(I)DM+++

Chance favors only the prepared mind.                                                                                                       Rule #1
- Paraphrased from Louis Pasteur

 
   
Made in us
Judgemental Grey Knight Justicar





Lodi CA

Is there another club that meets near yours? Maybe look into merging with a smaller or similar sized club.

Guild Ball mostly these days









 
   
Made in gb
Furious Fire Dragon





 Hückleberry wrote:
Is there another club that meets near yours? Maybe look into merging with a smaller or similar sized club.


not really, there are a couple of other clubs but all of them are at least an hour's drive away on mostly subpar rural roads, and public transport pretty much stops around tea-time

"Well, erm, hmm, its alright. We've got understatement. We have strong prevailing South Westerly winds. 52% of our days are overcast, so as a nation we're infused with a wistful melancholy. But we remain a relentlessly chipper population, prone to mild eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence"
 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

I'd still recommend turning up to them if you can jut to see if some members are actually equidistaant between the pair of you I'd also recommend running demo games at events as well. Also it shouldn't be 18 and up only but 16 and up only without a responsible adult. If parents can take their kids it will encourage mature gamership and allow far more members.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/11 05:52:02


"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





IL

Set a trap, lure them in with the promises of free pizza and once they step in the door, bar and lock it shut behind them. Repeat as many times as needed until you have enough people.

It plays 40k... or gets the hose again.

Paulson Games parts are now at:
www.RedDogMinis.com 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: