Switch Theme:

World Eaters and objectives  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

I'm curious as to how other World Eater players/ melee armies play with objectives? Normally 3/4 of my army is mid field if not in my opponents deployment zone at the end of turn two. I try to play objectives a bit if I have a tactical objective card for X objective, but I have a hard time justifying sitting on a point only to get shot off it instead of killing stuff around it and maybe going back for it. My back line in my army is kind of weak. I usually run a havoc squad and at most two rapier batteries, so if they get shot off one in my deployment zone I'd have to haul it backwards across the table. Just wondering how mostly melee heavy armies play their objective/ best placement for them

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Get some cultists. Alternatively, objective placement is important. Place as many objectives mid field and near each other as you can.
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

A variation of my list has about 16 cultists in it. The issue I'm having is trying to justify holding a point for a turn to have my melee units be shot or deal with pesky shooters first and then maybe try objectives after when there's less risk

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





Williamsburg VA

Yeah, I would clump up objectives in their deployment zones.

My hobby blog
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/350093.page#2499452 
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

 sennacherib wrote:
Yeah, I would clump up objectives in their deployment zones.

This isn't a bad idea though we normally play with 6 so you can only get so many in there. Not to mention if they put some in there themselves.

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Gig Harbor, WA

 sennacherib wrote:
Yeah, I would clump up objectives in their deployment zones.


Objectives are almost always placed prior to determination of deployment style. I don't think I've ever played a mission where they were placed after, are there any in the BRB?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/06 03:06:50


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




Cultists and Obliterators are the best ways to go. Obliterators might SOUND silly, but shooting with the extra attack on the charge means they can bully smaller units that might try and steal your objectives last minute. After all, that's almost two dead Marines on the charge. You could do a lot worse.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
Cultists and Obliterators are the best ways to go. Obliterators might SOUND silly, but shooting with the extra attack on the charge means they can bully smaller units that might try and steal your objectives last minute. After all, that's almost two dead Marines on the charge. You could do a lot worse.

I had been considering Oblits for a bit. They aren't near what they used to be but they are decent if you want a bunch of mid to high strength shots.

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in ca
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker






I play World Eaters, and there's three units i've reliably used to hold objectives.

Cultists, because they are THE de-facto cannon fodder. 4 Points per model makes them VERY hard to kill, just by sheer mass. Mind you, if you only have a few Cultists...You better start buying. I find that having 60 myself is a good amount. Lets me have at least 3 20 man units.

Second one is a bit...Off colour. Bloodletters. Now, I know they aren't CSM...But they are KHORNE! And a 7 point model that has a 5++ is an alright choice. And giving them their icon to possibly ressurect some dudes is always fun. They're about the same survivability as Cultists in my experience.

And finally, Termies. Slap these SoBs on an objective, and watch as your enemy pours WAY too much fire power into taking down 5 models.

14,000 points!
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Tyno2025 wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
Cultists and Obliterators are the best ways to go. Obliterators might SOUND silly, but shooting with the extra attack on the charge means they can bully smaller units that might try and steal your objectives last minute. After all, that's almost two dead Marines on the charge. You could do a lot worse.

I had been considering Oblits for a bit. They aren't near what they used to be but they are decent if you want a bunch of mid to high strength shots.

They're better than they used to be. People who disagree are too attached to the fluff of having multiple weapons.

Truth is that you were only using a few of the weapons: The Assault Cannon, Lascannon, and the TL Plasma Gun. Everything else was too short range or specific in use. So basically you get at max 3 turns of shooting with any of those weapons.
While it's random now, the average profile is pretty spectacular. At minimum you're hurting hordes with that number of shots, though it isn't the type of target you'd prefer.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Northridge, CA

It really depends on how you want to play your army. Huge hordes of Cultists are great for World Eaters because you can swarm onto an objective and if things go south just regen/teleport towards a different objective or the opponent's backfield.

Mutiliators just got a good sized points decrease which (IMO) make them competitive with Terminators for the Elite slot. They'll contest an objective or force something off just as well as Termis, just with melee instead of plasma.

I've also considered Bloodletters but I'm waiting for the Codex in Jan to see if they're make a return in form. I'd love to run a Deamonkin force again. I've got the Flesh Hounds and Bloodletter hordes ready to roll out!
   
Made in us
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker






Well before I got cultists, I used 3-4 8 man berzerkers squads. Two in rhino two slogging. The sloggers would run to objectives. The ones in rhinos would fight everything they could. So far this has worked very mediocre. I'm gonna try some new stuff out since I've gotten a bunch of new stuff.


10,000  
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

 chimeara wrote:
Well before I got cultists, I used 3-4 8 man berzerkers squads. Two in rhino two slogging. The sloggers would run to objectives. The ones in rhinos would fight everything they could. So far this has worked very mediocre. I'm gonna try some new stuff out since I've gotten a bunch of new stuff.


This is similar to what I normally run but I'll put all the units in rhinos with combi melta. Mutiliators don't seem terrible either with the point cost. Before I'd add any daemons I'm going to wait for their book to drop.

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 chimeara wrote:
Well before I got cultists, I used 3-4 8 man berzerkers squads. Two in rhino two slogging. The sloggers would run to objectives. The ones in rhinos would fight everything they could. So far this has worked very mediocre. I'm gonna try some new stuff out since I've gotten a bunch of new stuff.



Yea, berzerker's have no durability especially for holding an objective. Once they get out of their transports and set foot on the battlefield, they'll be blown away. Cultists, in larger numbers are good. And surprisingly enough, units of Possessed can be durable enough to hold objectives. With 2 wounds each and a 5++ invuln, they can hold their own.
   
Made in ca
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker






Ive found Bloodletters are great for taking objectives, and "eh" for holding. That 5++ makes a HUGE difference, especially when they got 30 wounds in a full unit. Their only obvious drawback is the inability to deal with getting shot from long range...but hey, maybe youll get that sweet 1 on morale?

14,000 points!
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Northridge, CA

 vaklor4 wrote:
Ive found Bloodletters are great for taking objectives, and "eh" for holding. That 5++ makes a HUGE difference, especially when they got 30 wounds in a full unit. Their only obvious drawback is the inability to deal with getting shot from long range...but hey, maybe youll get that sweet 1 on morale?
January intensifies
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

Can't believe no one mentioned the Tide of Traitors stratagem for Cultists. Makes them outstanding objective grabbers, spend a command point to move them to any side of the table at full strength.

I have been using 3 x 30 man cultist units in my last 4 games. They get shot up the first couple turns then come back on top of an objective to screw up my opponent's advance.

I don't play World Eaters, but would consider them the best option for any close combat army.

   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: