Switch Theme:

Ork Codex Theory  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine






Boulder, CO

Seeing as we got a Kult of Speed Battleforce in the store get ready for Kult of Speed to be a hot list in the new Ork Codex. Color me red and happy about it too since half my army is KoS.
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






I hope so, my ork army is painted red. XD But no really... hope it's not just bikers because I have 0 bikes in my Ork force. It's all trukks, boyz, wagons and walkers!
   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

It's pretty much a given that the Ork codex will feature the main Ork klanz, with the Evil Sunz being the 'Kult of Speed' equivalent.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






I hope so, different rules for factions will hopefully be good for orks, though I am cautiously optimistic as while the rules may help us history is on the side of GW does not really care much for orks or more specifically the modeling team making kits gives us great models, but the rules team does not want orks to be competitive outside of mass blobs of boys. I hope they address durability of some units and cost of weapon that are never taken even with the chapter approved rules... because a rokkit being short ranged and due to the need to advance always hitting on 6's is really only worth a couple points same for big shootas which average when advancing .5 hits per gun.

Will GW pull a awesome 180 and make ork lists have the flexability to use multiple builds and work... maybe. I am hoping so anyway

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in au
Screamin' Stormboy




Australia

I hope this will happen. The orks need special rules for each of the different clans. Something like a "red goes fasta" rule, where all evil sunz vehicles move an extra inch or something.
I really hope GW can get some inspiration for the codex. The orks really need it right now.

Never challenge an Armenian to a game of chess. 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

Eh, I wouldn't look too much into it. That battleforce wasn't exactly speedy. It was painted goff colors, had lootas, and a SAG, which is hilariously bad.

The box set is a decent price overall, I think, but it wasn't terribly evil sunz'y.

I am looking forward to see what they do with ork klans next year. Wonder was evil sunz will be. Even something like +1 to all movements (move, advance, charge) would be pretty nice.


"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






The joke is that even the 8th edition history shows they care little or just don't understand orks. The guy who wrote the faction focus before the index was like "look bow awesome orks are!"by showing us basically nothing but boyz and changes to general rules that favoured everybody. I've been informed that the whole team is working on the ork codex which is never good as almost none of them are said to play orks. If anything we're just gunu get another meme dex rsther than a serious army. Sure you can have fun with orks but the whole comic relief ork only really exists because video games and ork players tending to do more damage to themselves while the official lore of orks tends to show a complex deep lore rich factions with just as much verity as the space marine chapters. I'm sure the avarge guard man pisses himself laughing when Ghaz walks up with half his battalion as a bloody gunk in his powrr claw that's larger than him.
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 lolman1c wrote:
The joke is that even the 8th edition history shows they care little or just don't understand orks. The guy who wrote the faction focus before the index was like "look bow awesome orks are!"by showing us basically nothing but boyz and changes to general rules that favoured everybody. I've been informed that the whole team is working on the ork codex...
Who gave you that information?
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





All I know is, I want Thraka to return to Armageddon. Since he left half the planet has fallen to chaos. See what happens when he leaves!? In all seriousness, I would love to see another war on Armageddon with a heavy emphasis on the orks. Armageddon is Ullanor after all. There is something buried beneath Armageddon that is drawing them there.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

pismakron wrote:
 lolman1c wrote:
The joke is that even the 8th edition history shows they care little or just don't understand orks. The guy who wrote the faction focus before the index was like "look bow awesome orks are!"by showing us basically nothing but boyz and changes to general rules that favoured everybody. I've been informed that the whole team is working on the ork codex...
Who gave you that information?


He's talking about Reese from Front Line Gaming.

   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






 adamsouza wrote:
pismakron wrote:
 lolman1c wrote:
The joke is that even the 8th edition history shows they care little or just don't understand orks. The guy who wrote the faction focus before the index was like "look bow awesome orks are!"by showing us basically nothing but boyz and changes to general rules that favoured everybody. I've been informed that the whole team is working on the ork codex...
Who gave you that information?


He's talking about Reese from Front Line Gaming.
p

No, the Facebook team told me go look it up.
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Well, the guy who was sure that orks were awesome is Reese, and the people who said that the entire team is working on each codex was the GW's community team via facebook.

Just for clarification.

I also wouldn't read too much into the the box being called "kult of speed". It's basically all the plastic stuff that's not new (nauts, MANz, flash gits, mek guns) or already in start collecting.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/12/27 09:02:43


Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in us
Flashy Flashgitz





 Jidmah wrote:
Well, the guy who was sure that orks were awesome is Reese, and the people who said that the entire team is working on each codex was the GW's community team via facebook.


I worry about Reese having a bias towards what he runs. Though I do like his list he’s taken in the batreps.

I just hope it doesn’t end up like 7th Edition where the Rules got away from the design team. At this point 8th Orks shooting is very not there, to the point where I take Battlewagons with no weapons except Deff rolla. And no modifiers toshooting make it difficult to run anything except melee blobs. The Dakka stratagem helps a bit but it’s not as much of a fix as people would like.
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine






Boulder, CO

 Jidmah wrote:
I also wouldn't read too much into the the box being called "kult of speed". It's basically all the plastic stuff that's not new (nauts, MANz, flash gits, mek guns) or already in start collecting.


Ah, yeah. It's been brought up a few times actually. Still an Ork can dream. I really hope we get some love this Ed. I need to get my Kans back on the table and not have to just take them right back off again.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

I just hope the boys get what the Nids got....strong internal ballence, good external ballence, and a few things nobody else does.
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block





The Kult of Speed battleforce has been up on the webstore on and off for years. I remember seeing it ages ago in the depths of 7th shortly after the Ork release. I've always had a bit of a laugh at it because two of the most iconic Speed Freak options, the Deffkopta and Warbuggy aren't in the set because the official kits are absolutely ancient and GW doesn't want to promote them.

On the subject of Reecius, let's just say that I don't expect much from the Ork codex when guys like him are providing playtesting. Here's a list of things he said about Orks shortly before 8th hit:

"Burna Boyz are ridiculous"
"Tankbustas are great"
"Dakkajet one of the better shooters in the game"
"You don't see a lot of flyers on the table, but Dakkajets are pretty great"
"Stompas are great"
"Ork Dreads are really good"
"Stompa is worth every point"
"Buggies got dramatically better"
"Skorchas are really cheap"
"Rokkits are so good, they do 3 damage"
"Big Guns and Mek Guns are great"
"3 Lobbas are a fantastic unit"
"The Battlewagon is a beast in melee...excellent unit"
"Battlewagons are super strong, really hard to kill"
"Trukks are really good"
"Lootas...amazing"
"Flash Gitz are phenomenal...really great unit to use Da Jump with"
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

pinecone77 wrote:
I just hope the boys get what the Nids got....strong internal balance, good external balance, and a few things nobody else does.


Ork Strategem - Roll for additional hits when you roll a 6 to hit, with BS5+

Tyranid Strategem - That whole unit of guys with BS4+ S4 weapons get to shoot again


At this point, I'm just hoping for point drops and decent Clan Rulez.

   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





Eye of Terror

 Glane wrote:
The Kult of Speed battleforce has been up on the webstore on and off for years. I remember seeing it ages ago in the depths of 7th shortly after the Ork release. I've always had a bit of a laugh at it because two of the most iconic Speed Freak options, the Deffkopta and Warbuggy aren't in the set because the official kits are absolutely ancient and GW doesn't want to promote them.

On the subject of Reecius, let's just say that I don't expect much from the Ork codex when guys like him are providing playtesting. Here's a list of things he said about Orks shortly before 8th hit:

"Burna Boyz are ridiculous"
"Tankbustas are great"
"Dakkajet one of the better shooters in the game"
"You don't see a lot of flyers on the table, but Dakkajets are pretty great"
"Stompas are great"
"Ork Dreads are really good"
"Stompa is worth every point"
"Buggies got dramatically better"
"Skorchas are really cheap"
"Rokkits are so good, they do 3 damage"
"Big Guns and Mek Guns are great"
"3 Lobbas are a fantastic unit"
"The Battlewagon is a beast in melee...excellent unit"
"Battlewagons are super strong, really hard to kill"
"Trukks are really good"
"Lootas...amazing"
"Flash Gitz are phenomenal...really great unit to use Da Jump with"


You know, I really can't think of another high-profile player who had anything nice to say about Orks in the run-up to 8th edition. I wonder how much influence he's actually had in the design of the army.

Index Orks are treated too harshly on Dakka and not harshly enough on other sites. A lot of this comes from the problems with shooting, which are all outlined in the quotes above.

   
Made in us
Nasty Nob






 techsoldaten wrote:
[

Index Orks are treated too harshly on Dakka and not harshly enough on other sites.


Could not agree more on both counts; Orks certainly aren't scary to anyone who has had to pilot the army themselves (way to easy to pick apart and deny). Other sites seem to talk them up like the shining jewel of the index books, and they certainly are not that. For like three editions of the game now, any ork player who does not want to just play a 300 strong mob of boys has been hosed and then left in the cold.

With that said, there are at least two people on this site, who seems like they've made it their life's mission to argue with anyone who even remotely suggests orks need anything but to have all of their points cost cut in half entirely across the board.

Orks are a problem army, but those problems can be solved with some subtle changes, not sweeping enormous buffs.

ERJAK wrote:


The fluff is like ketchup and mustard on a burger. Yes it's desirable, yes it makes things better, but no it doesn't fundamentally change what you're eating and no you shouldn't just drown the whole meal in it.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






How is the first step on the road to disappointment.
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





 davou wrote:
Orks are a problem army, but those problems can be solved with some subtle changes, not sweeping enormous buffs.


I don't think subtle changes are enough, and I also don't think that sweeping enormous buffs will do it either.

Almost all non-character units in our codex have some big problems because of which they don't do what they are supposed to do.
Either they die too fast, you can't field enough of them to build a proper army out of them, they do too little damage for their points or simply have no role to fulfill because other units do it better by a landslide.
On top of that there are some army-wide issues that need to be addressed, like the inability to handle fliers and high toughness values.

If all those problems are looked at one-by-one and fixed, we don't need buffs.

But usually when this is talked about, someone idiot who hasn't played a single game of orks in their life comes into the thread and tells us to stop complaining because boyz and weirdboyz are OP.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






Cannot agree more with the above. Boyz are easy to deal with and sre not OP and weirdboyz have 1 good ability that can only be used once or twice per game while other armies can deepstrike turn 1 for half the points.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

8th Edition comes out.
Decides Ork Stompa rules look less than terrible.
Finally builds that Ork Stompa model I bought on release day, all those years ago.
Fields Ork Stompa.
Finds Ork Stompa's shooting phase practically useless.
Spends the rest of game charging and stomping.
Puts Ork Stompa back on the shelf.


   
Made in ca
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





 adamsouza wrote:
8th Edition comes out.
Decides Ork Stompa rules look less than terrible.
Finally builds that Ork Stompa model I bought on release day, all those years ago.
Fields Ork Stompa.
Finds Ork Stompa's shooting phase practically useless.
Spends the rest of game charging and stomping.
Puts Ork Stompa back on the shelf.



a stompa stomping things? sounds approperate

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

 Glane wrote:


On the subject of Reecius, let's just say that I don't expect much from the Ork codex when guys like him are providing playtesting. Here's a list of things he said about Orks shortly before 8th hit:

"Stompas are great"
"Stompa is worth every point"


I'd LOVE to see a citation on that. Not saying that you're wrong, but I'm curious of the source. Because while most of those statements were questionable, at best, it perhaps could have been forgiven for being early optimism in the early days of 8th.

But I took one look at stompas and said "dumpster fire". And I'm not sure how anyone could have come to a different conclusion.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob






 Jidmah wrote:
 davou wrote:
Orks are a problem army, but those problems can be solved with some subtle changes, not sweeping enormous buffs.


I don't think subtle changes are enough, and I also don't think that sweeping enormous buffs will do it either.


Agree to disagree; I'd be very happy with the following changes

Allow ere'we'go to be one or both dice
DakkaDakkaDakka = 6's in shooting are hits no matter negative modifiers.
Ramshackle on a 4+ (or even 5+)
KFF works for units that are clipped
Add + 1 to move for green tide if under 20

ERJAK wrote:


The fluff is like ketchup and mustard on a burger. Yes it's desirable, yes it makes things better, but no it doesn't fundamentally change what you're eating and no you shouldn't just drown the whole meal in it.

 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

Tell you what, I'm really looking forward to a charge 3D6 stratagem - all other melee armies seem to be getting one.

I get a 3D6 charge distance, picking the highest 2, but hell's bells, the sum of 3D6 seems bonkers for assault units. Especially if orks get to reroll it with 'ere we go.

Doesn't do anything to counter falling back, sadly, but joined with da jump would be incredibly effective.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block





 Kap'n Krump wrote:
 Glane wrote:


On the subject of Reecius, let's just say that I don't expect much from the Ork codex when guys like him are providing playtesting. Here's a list of things he said about Orks shortly before 8th hit:

"Stompas are great"
"Stompa is worth every point"


I'd LOVE to see a citation on that. Not saying that you're wrong, but I'm curious of the source. Because while most of those statements were questionable, at best, it perhaps could have been forgiven for being early optimism in the early days of 8th.

But I took one look at stompas and said "dumpster fire". And I'm not sure how anyone could have come to a different conclusion.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqeMhNwdRT0

Ork section starts at 26:00

Comments on Ork Walkers start at 33:37

Warning: If you're an Ork player you may feel unreasonable amounts of rage watching this video.
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






You look forward to it but after CA I worry. It was their chance to show off what orks can do with their codex and they gave us a warlord trait thta gives +1 to strength?! I would have forgiven them for at least +1 to toughness but +1 strength is lazy! If it was in the codex I wouldn't have minded but being in CA, when they should have had an interesting one, is unbelievable. The mob up strat has proven so far to be useful but not in the way gw wanted it to be used for (trust ork players to think of fun and creative ways to use the scrap given to us) and dakka dakka is a joke! On the facebook page when someone was critical showing how it does almost nothing for most troops the team just responds telling us to basically get over it because we can deepstrike 30 boyz into cc with da jump. (Basically an exsact quote). That's like telling BA players to get over being bad in cc because another space marine faction is good at shooting!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/02 22:53:17


 
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






I get the feeling that Reece and the rest of the crew at FLG have had access to both the codexes and the indexes for some time and they may either get the two confused or might not have even been told which was which by GW.

Perhaps a sign of things to come in the codex when it drops?

I agree that it is worrying that GW places so much on their opinion (that is undoubtedly coloured) and that there are no dedicated Ork players anymore in the rules team.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: