Switch Theme:

ASTARTES - New Warhammer 40,000 Fan Film  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Noble Knight of the Realm




United Kingdom, England, Manchester

Got contacted by a Chap whose making a new 40k fan film. He sent me a small teaser and also some screenshots, also he answered some questions about the film.



Chapter Master of Vigilia Mortis
www.battle-brothers.net
------
[b]Eternal Crusade Forum
Project: Thinking of creating HH 1st Company Imperial Fist Templars  
   
Made in au
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





Looks interesting. Can't wait to see more, hopefully the animation isn't going to be clunky like the "Ultramarines" movie if you can call it that.

"You are my unbroken blades. You are the Death Guard. By your hand shall justice be delivered, and doom shall stalk a thousand worlds."
- Mortarion, The Death Lord, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle


5600 | 2800 | 850 | 4000 | 3300 | 550

 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

The trailer is 14 seconds, and this link talks about it for 8 minutes?

Direct link to trailer...



It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





part 1


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/27 17:26:01


 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






The animation in that tiny 40 second clip looks good...but it's a bit silly calling it an Episode. If this is the case, it'll be a looong damn process.

 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Yeah, undeniably good work but what point is there really in putting out a clip that short? Should've made that the teaser.

You ain't nothin' but a hormagaunt... cryin' all the time...

40k:  
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





San Diego, CA

Parts 2 and 3:







I gotta say, this is a nice project. Very well done, with lots and lots of great little details! He's got some other links, and I donated a bit to help support his work.

https://www.instagram.com/astartesfilm/

https://www.patreon.com/astartesfilm

https://www.paypal.me/astartesfilm

Bernard, float over here so I can punch you. 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

What program did he use to make the models?

What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

Thats pretty nicely done tbh. Kudos.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps







I really like the take on boarding action, which is to my mind where space marines are at their very best. It makes them more believable than most films.
   
Made in us
Dusty Skeleton




I need a napkin...and I didn't drool....
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






My favorite part of that series of videos is actually one of the simplest... the marines walking down the hallway of their ship. I really like the juxtaposition of the Astartes in full armor striding down the hallway and the chapter serfs/ship crew moving out of the way. Bolter porn has never been my favorite part of the 40k novels (I typically skim those pages until I possibly read something important happening for the plot) so the later action scenes aboard the enemy vessel don't interest me as much. YMMV. The boarding torpedo flight path is a close second though.

   
Made in us
Terminator with Assault Cannon





Florida

This is 'movie marines' in action. Cold calculated murder. With thier training and tech they would hardly ever miss a shot.

SickSix's Silver Skull WIP thread
My Youtube Channel
JSF wrote:... this is really quite an audacious move by GW, throwing out any pretext that this is a game and that its customers exist to do anything other than buy their overpriced products for the sake of it. The naked arrogance, greed and contempt for their audience is shocking.
= Epic First Post.
 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Too short and therefore not worth watching. Helsreach set the standard for animated stuff in 40K.
   
Made in us
Novice Knight Errant Pilot




Oakland, CA

Nice work!

Quite a bit of effort has gone into this.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Strg Alt wrote:
Too short and therefore not worth watching. Helsreach set the standard for animated stuff in 40K.


You're seriously missing out if you don't - this is by far the best 40K animation to date.
   
Made in au
Fixture of Dakka





Melbourne

zerosignal wrote:
You're seriously missing out if you don't - this is by far the best 40K animation to date.
Agreed, this has marines feeling like marines. Big, (currently) indestructible, violent in the extreme and incredibly efficient.

Somebody throw some money at this man so he can produce these faster.

My Blogs -
Dark Angels - Currently Black Knights & Terminators
Terrain - Currently Dead
My Instagram - I don't post much. 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

He has a Patreon specifically for this project and I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't been taken down yet.

Part four should be arriving soon, he previewed it a while ago on his Insta.

Of Knights & Nobles - a P&M blog about Knights, nobles and some things in between

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




He makes the trailer for the official GW animation look like garbage.

GW will sue his ass off.

Sigh.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





San Diego, CA

 Strg Alt wrote:
Too short and therefore not worth watching. Helsreach set the standard for animated stuff in 40K.


He's making it alone, and in his spare time. I'd rather see short sections as he completes them, than wait who-knows-how-long for the whole thing to be finished.

Bernard, float over here so I can punch you. 
   
Made in us
Committed Chaos Cult Marine






20+ factions.
Space Deamons.
Eldar City Ships.
The Webway.
Tau Battle Suits as tall as sky scrapers.
Ancient Necron flotillas.
Tyranid Monstrosities.
Legions of Guardsmen and battle tanks larger than houses.
Assassins lurking in the dark.
Ork Hordes rampaging across the galaxy.


But no, every single one of these damned fan projects have to feature more fething space marines.
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Lol, if you want that do it yourself. This is a fan proyect.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Thunderhawk Pilot Dropping From Orbit




San Jose, CA

 Galas wrote:
Lol, if you want that do it yourself. This is a fan proyect.


I know, if people wanted to see more stuff, they should get off of their asses and do something about it.

Otherwise dont complain about it.

This looks great and I really like the art direction of it.

They have realistically depicted how an Astartes would move.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Racerguy180 wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Lol, if you want that do it yourself. This is a fan proyect.


I know, if people wanted to see more stuff, they should get off of their asses and do something about it.

Otherwise dont complain about it.

This looks great and I really like the art direction of it.

They have realistically depicted how an Astartes would move.


I agree with the opinion that it's a realistic depiction (at least as far as you can go in a science FICTION universe) of how I'd imagine Astartes would be and looks great. If there ever was a big screen adaptation of the universe, I'd expect something like this and not an intensely gothic WTFisthat!?! Blanche style affair. The key would be to take inspiration from that style and incoporate parts of it, peering into but not jumping fully into the rabbit hole.

I disagree with the mentality of "if you don't like it, do it yourself!" response though. No one has every skillset (whether professionally or even at a hobby level) and it's nonsensical to suggest that people just Nike slogan everything they don't like in their free time nor (not that you're personally making this next argument) that you need to be able to do it yourself in order to critique something. i.e. the you need to be a chef with a successful restaurant in order to determine that a meal you got is badly cooked/prepared/whatever. The flip side of that is that people need to simply accept that marines *ARE* the poster children for the universe and *ARE* the most popular single and combined faction(s) and therefore *WILL* rank the same in both licensed and fan projects.

   
Made in us
Committed Chaos Cult Marine






I wasn't saying I didn't like it.

I was simply stating that there is literally a whole galaxy of content out there, and all anyone ever does is play with power armor super men. I find that to be quite sad.
   
Made in ie
Twisting Tzeentch Horror





Kildare, Ireland

 Togusa wrote:
I wasn't saying I didn't like it.

I was simply stating that there is literally a whole galaxy of content out there, and all anyone ever does is play with power armor super men. I find that to be quite sad.


The nature of a fan project is that a fan makes what interests them.

The fact that there arent any excellently made, 3D movies by Eldar fans or what have you is partly a function of there being more marine fans and partly the kind of people NPC races attract.

Don't view it as sad, view it as an opportunity
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Togusa wrote:
I wasn't saying I didn't like it.

I was simply stating that there is literally a whole galaxy of content out there, and all anyone ever does is play with power armor super men. I find that to be quite sad.


It’s much easier to make something with humanoid space marines and generic soldiers than creating realistic xeno species. We can all hope Disney buys then and sinks several million into a project but until that happens we’re stuck with simple models (no pun intended)

 
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

 warboss wrote:
Racerguy180 wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Lol, if you want that do it yourself. This is a fan proyect.


I know, if people wanted to see more stuff, they should get off of their asses and do something about it.

Otherwise dont complain about it.

This looks great and I really like the art direction of it.

They have realistically depicted how an Astartes would move.


I agree with the opinion that it's a realistic depiction (at least as far as you can go in a science FICTION universe) of how I'd imagine Astartes would be and looks great. If there ever was a big screen adaptation of the universe, I'd expect something like this and not an intensely gothic WTFisthat!?! Blanche style affair. The key would be to take inspiration from that style and incoporate parts of it, peering into but not jumping fully into the rabbit hole.

I disagree with the mentality of "if you don't like it, do it yourself!" response though. No one has every skillset (whether professionally or even at a hobby level) and it's nonsensical to suggest that people just Nike slogan everything they don't like in their free time nor (not that you're personally making this next argument) that you need to be able to do it yourself in order to critique something. i.e. the you need to be a chef with a successful restaurant in order to determine that a meal you got is badly cooked/prepared/whatever. The flip side of that is that people need to simply accept that marines *ARE* the poster children for the universe and *ARE* the most popular single and combined faction(s) and therefore *WILL* rank the same in both licensed and fan projects.


If this was a professional product you paid for, I wouldn't have used the "Do it yourself!" catchphrase, because in that context it has no sense to use it. But being a fan proyect, asking for it to catter to your expectations comes as very petty. At least in my opinion. If you don't agree with the direction a fan and free proyect is following... do one yourself. With your own metrics.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/10 23:25:30


 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







Wheee. Episode 4 is up and is entertaining at least.

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in au
Fixture of Dakka





Melbourne

Episode 4 was so damn good. This bloke has nailed space marines in every way, so far.

The eps are short, but the quality is superb. Best fan animation so far, bar none.

My Blogs -
Dark Angels - Currently Black Knights & Terminators
Terrain - Currently Dead
My Instagram - I don't post much. 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: