Switch Theme:

Dust 1947, the new 3rd edition  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in pa
Regular Dakkanaut




Panama

Anyone here plays Dust 1947? Now that Paolo got control of the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/11 11:17:58


Keep up the fight!  
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Tell me more - linkage?

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Buddy has a huge collection. all factions and all the new Cuthulu stuff as well.

We do it very casually but often play 200 point games which is double the standard point games since its always pretty brutal and bloody.

Its really one of the better minis games out there over all as the turns are nice and quick.

Biggest issue I see is because no distributor will touch it with a 50 foot pole cause of the kickstarter issues its going to grow as fast as molasses. Really needs more factions since its all fictional anyways and near hardly historic.

Plus its harder to get good discounts on it.
   
Made in pa
Regular Dakkanaut




Panama

About the factions, Dust have SSU, Allies, Axis, Mercenaries and now Chtullu maybe in the future the Vril. X-wing had 3 factions for six years and it is on first place in sales.

Rules is one of the reasons I want to play this game. Is not so complicated and you can play with squares or freely.

Distribution is the downside of this game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/11 16:09:55


Keep up the fight!  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

Been playing for about a year. Very happy with the game.

As for Blocs/Factions, the Vrill is probably not sooner than 2019. Imperial Japanese Navy [IJN] are due Christmas 2018, with some units that will cross over into Axis (much as Kaori and Yukiko already do). Their national weapon will be Rail Guns, though no word yet on the rules for them.

Rules are available for free download on the Dust site, though be aware the 3D Rules in that book have been replaced with the Advanced Rules in Operation Kondor.
   
Made in us
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





 Capt. Camping wrote:
Anyone here plays Dust 1947? Now that Paolo got control of the game.


I'd hate to say it about such beautiful models, but the more involved Paolo is the worse off the game is. :(

Bender wrote:* Realise that despite the way people talk, this is not a professional sport played by demi gods, but rather a game of toy soldiers played by tired, inebriated human beings.


 lolman1c wrote:
The ork train has no breaks mothersquiggor!
 
   
Made in us
Napoleonics Obsesser




MN

So, as some one who knows very little about Dust beyond the old board games; why would I want to place this game as opposed to Konflict '47?

Do you like Free Wargames?
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 Easy E wrote:
So, as some one who knows very little about Dust beyond the old board games; why would I want to place this game as opposed to Konflict '47?

If you're sold on the Bolt Action/Warlord system, nothing. If you're not a fan of that system, a lot. Dust is a very quick game. I've participated in three tournaments so far, and only had two games go to the 1.5 hour time limit; usually, they only last 45 minutes - 1 hour. Casual games run longer than that, but that's mainly due to the BSing and geek talk going on throughout the match.

• Each units stat card gives you all the information you need to run that unit (though you might need to reference the rulebook for a couple special rules to get the full version).
• Models are available as unassembled kits, assembled and primered (the main availability), and prepainted.
• Models from the two previous tabletop editions are still perfectly valid (though stats have changed a bit, so you'll need the current stat cards). Means with a little luck, you can pick up a full army on Miniature Market dead cheap.
• Primarily gridded play, which speeds things greatly, though non-gridded is supported.
• No Nazis! Hitler was assassinated and the Nazis purged in 1943.
• The full rule book is a free download.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Capt. Camping wrote:
About the factions, Dust have SSU, Allies, Axis, Mercenaries and now Chtullu maybe in the future the Vril. X-wing had 3 factions for six years and it is on first place in sales.

Rules is one of the reasons I want to play this game. Is not so complicated and you can play with squares or freely.

Distribution is the downside of this game.


Your comparing scifi WW2 which there is a good bit of and its over all pretty generic to Star Wars, which is one of the most popular IPs in existence. Not really equal there so think factions is what can really help move the game to people who are not so keen on WW2 stuff.

As for DUST to Konflict. Konflict is good, bolt action is good, but its pretty slow. I don't like pinning things to death. DUST a 200 point game which is pretty huge runs 2 hours or so. Your standard games of 100 run an hour or less and lots dies. I will also take the plastic-esq models they use already primed over metal minis, even if Konflict has some amazing models.

We use non grid play and its easy. All numbers is just x4. Supports is very well
   
Made in pa
Regular Dakkanaut




Panama

If you have friends playing Bolt Action and Konflict, keep playing with them. If you are new to weird WW2 games go for Dust.

I had a Dust walker taking dust like for two years because I did buy the wrong model for a business deal that went wrong. Now I will use that mini because the game look quick, fun and simple.



Keep up the fight!  
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






After the messy breakup with both FFG and Battlefront as well as the disaster of a kickstarter, I wouldn't touch the game with a 10 ft pole and I wasn't even a backer so have no grudge to bear personally (though I do sympathize with them). I think some of the models look very cool and would consider buying them for another game they could be used in but I'd never encourage anyone to invest in a game/company/personality (since they seem so intertwined) associated with so much drama.

   
Made in pa
Regular Dakkanaut




Panama

I remember the drama days I use to read the forums and I myself never trusted the game when Fantasy Flight and Battlefront were behind the distribution. Those two companies were not doing a good job.

Now, three years later, I see the game continues and they even have a new faction and the mercenaries. This is the moment I decided to get into buying my minis.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/18 00:04:11


Keep up the fight!  
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

I keep meaning to stat up my DUST models for Konflict as there are other players of that game at my club and usually proxy my Dust stuff.

However the firepower of the DUST units seems vastly more than Konflict equivalents from Infantry to walkers.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 Capt. Camping wrote:
Now, three years later, I see the game continues and they even have a new faction and the mercenaries. This is the moment I decided to get into buying my minis.

With more to come. Christmas will see the release of the next Bloc, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN), which will have some units that can crossover with the Axis Bloc. Also around Christmas, we'll see the release of the Operation Hellgate campaign book, along with more unit options for the Mythos Bloc.

Christmas 2019 will see the long awaited release of the Vrill, the alien species from which all the Weird War technology has been derived.

And along the way will be further additional units for all the current Blocs and Factions.

You can see Paolo's Upcoming Releases presentation here.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Central Valley, California

My buddy and I used to play Dust Tactics on the grid boards for a long while, getting an impressive amount of play time out of it. We even had couples nights as my girlfriend and his enjoyed it too.
After the fallout and demise with the KS, we moved on to other games.
But now it seems an easy way back in, and my friend wants to order the rule book and give it a shot since we have everything necessary except the updated unit cards. I play Konflikt '47 so it is a bit repetitive in theme, but Dust is a faster play time so will appeal to a different number of people in our group. OP Keep us updated with anything new, thanks.

Rolling 1's for over four decades

~Shrap  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 Shrapnelsmile wrote:
My buddy and I used to play Dust Tactics on the grid boards for a long while, getting an impressive amount of play time out of it. We even had couples nights as my girlfriend and his enjoyed it too.
After the fallout and demise with the KS, we moved on to other games.
But now it seems an easy way back in, and my friend wants to order the rule book and give it a shot since we have everything necessary except the updated unit cards. I play Konflikt '47 so it is a bit repetitive in theme, but Dust is a faster play time so will appeal to a different number of people in our group. OP Keep us updated with anything new, thanks.

Before jumping back in, you can download the full rulebook from the main Dust site. Likewise, you can download the current cards for most units from its product page on Dust site (it's how I can play my second-hand Steel Guard Anti-Infantry Squads).
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Central Valley, California

 Carlson793 wrote:
 Shrapnelsmile wrote:
My buddy and I used to play Dust Tactics on the grid boards for a long while, getting an impressive amount of play time out of it. We even had couples nights as my girlfriend and his enjoyed it too.
After the fallout and demise with the KS, we moved on to other games.
But now it seems an easy way back in, and my friend wants to order the rule book and give it a shot since we have everything necessary except the updated unit cards. I play Konflikt '47 so it is a bit repetitive in theme, but Dust is a faster play time so will appeal to a different number of people in our group. OP Keep us updated with anything new, thanks.

Before jumping back in, you can download the full rulebook from the main Dust site. Likewise, you can download the current cards for most units from its product page on Dust site (it's how I can play my second-hand Steel Guard Anti-Infantry Squads).


Thanks man, will do.
We just ordered the cards, however, for convenience.

Excited to give it a go, I'll share here how we feel about the newest structure.

Rolling 1's for over four decades

~Shrap  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

Also, while you're downloading Dust stuff, don't forget the FAQ document. Certain things have changed from the rule book (most notably how Height Advantage works).
   
Made in ca
Plastictrees





Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Are all models supported in the current rules? Asking for someone who has $2500 of DUST stuff from the FFG days in his basement...
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 plastictrees wrote:
Are all models supported in the current rules? Asking for someone who has $2500 of DUST stuff from the FFG days in his basement...

All the FFG and Battlefront era models are still valid. In 2016 they put out decks with the updated stats for Axis, Allies, and SSU/Mercenaries (run you about $21 USD). You can also find stats for most of the current units on the product pages on the main Dust site.

You could also download the Dust Enlist app. It's an army builder and collection inventory that has all current model stats (and a handful of soon-to-be-released models). Available for Android and iOS.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/22 02:29:06


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Central Valley, California

 Carlson793 wrote:
 plastictrees wrote:
Are all models supported in the current rules? Asking for someone who has $2500 of DUST stuff from the FFG days in his basement...

All the FFG and Battlefront era models are still valid. In 2016 they put out decks with the updated stats for Axis, Allies, and SSU/Mercenaries (run you about $21 USD). You can also find stats for most of the current units on the product pages on the main Dust site.

You could also download the Dust Enlist app. It's an army builder and collection inventory that has all current model stats (and a handful of soon-to-be-released models). Available for Android and iOS.


Just downloaded the Dust 1947 Enlist app on my android. The APP is awesome. But i'll add to this post that the FAQ is not on the app, so I"ll dig that up later and save it to my phone.

Even though I own a ton of U.S. painted troops, I just picked up the less expensive of the two Cthulhu cult boxes. I'll post how the game goes when we jump back in.

Cheers.

Rolling 1's for over four decades

~Shrap  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 Shrapnelsmile wrote:

Just downloaded the Dust 1947 Enlist app on my android. The APP is awesome. But i'll add to this post that the FAQ is not on the app, so I"ll dig that up later and save it to my phone.

Even though I own a ton of U.S. painted troops, I just picked up the less expensive of the two Cthulhu cult boxes. I'll post how the game goes when we jump back in.

Cheers.

Yeah, except when there's a major update that changes rules on a card (few and far between), the FAQ doesn't get added to the app (much as the rulebook or Advanced Rules aren't in there).

Another good thing about the app is it let's them get out revised stats for models while waiting for new cards to be produced. For example, the Blutkreuz Laser Grenadier Squad about two updates back got a big boost to their laser rifles. On the card, they're 1/1 vs all Infantry. Now, via the app, they're 3/1 - 2/1 - 2/1 - 1/1. They still tend to be over-costed when compared 4AP and 5AP infantry squads, but it's a vast improvement.

And keep your eyes open. While the latest update has hit iOS, they had all with the Android version. It's up-to-date with units that are currently available, though. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out before GenCon.

And a quick how-to for the app: If you're basing your army around a platoon, and plan to get the Faction/Bloc Bonus, remove any Hero leading that platoon (tap on them and select 'None'). Build your army up to your point cost, then add the Hero back using your 10% bonus points.
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

And the GenCon sneak peaks begin with this shot Paolo shared of some upcoming IJN units.

   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

...and now there are happy tears. Monday afternoon I pick up my son from school, and he utters eleven of the sweetest words I've heard in a while: "Hey Dad? I think I might wanna learn to play Dust." Tuesday evening, ran two 25 AP demos (KG von Stein vs KG Florentine). Last night it was 100 point (proxied) Mythos (what he's leaning towards) vs Axis walker KG. Tonight, 100 point proxied Mythos vs my more competitive Luftwaffe, and if he still wants to play Mythos, that'll be his delayed birthday present (if he'd expressed interest two weeks ago, I would've had time to order it in for his b-day).

Cast your line, wait for the fish to nibble, then set the hook and reel it in.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Central Valley, California

 Carlson793 wrote:
...and now there are happy tears. Monday afternoon I pick up my son from school, and he utters eleven of the sweetest words I've heard in a while: "Hey Dad? I think I might wanna learn to play Dust." Tuesday evening, ran two 25 AP demos (KG von Stein vs KG Florentine). Last night it was 100 point (proxied) Mythos (what he's leaning towards) vs Axis walker KG. Tonight, 100 point proxied Mythos vs my more competitive Luftwaffe, and if he still wants to play Mythos, that'll be his delayed birthday present (if he'd expressed interest two weeks ago, I would've had time to order it in for his b-day).

Cast your line, wait for the fish to nibble, then set the hook and reel it in.


That's great news Carlson.

My son and I stayed close as he grew up thanks to Wargaming.

It was a fine way to spend time together.
enjoy.

Rolling 1's for over four decades

~Shrap  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

 Shrapnelsmile wrote:
 Carlson793 wrote:
...and now there are happy tears. Monday afternoon I pick up my son from school, and he utters eleven of the sweetest words I've heard in a while: "Hey Dad? I think I might wanna learn to play Dust." Tuesday evening, ran two 25 AP demos (KG von Stein vs KG Florentine). Last night it was 100 point (proxied) Mythos (what he's leaning towards) vs Axis walker KG. Tonight, 100 point proxied Mythos vs my more competitive Luftwaffe, and if he still wants to play Mythos, that'll be his delayed birthday present (if he'd expressed interest two weeks ago, I would've had time to order it in for his b-day).

Cast your line, wait for the fish to nibble, then set the hook and reel it in.


That's great news Carlson.

My son and I stayed close as he grew up thanks to Wargaming.

It was a fine way to spend time together.
enjoy.

Got in a 100 point game that Thursday with him - him Mythos, me a non-optimal Axis Walker list I'd had success with in the past. Looked like I had him early on, but he showed his tactical mind by using board control to isolate two of my walkers away from his Avatar, then take them on one at a time.

That Saturday, he took on someone other than me - Heavy Commando Paratrooper Platoon. He lost, but only because of an unintentional cheat on Sgt Victory's Cheat Death rolls (opponent got it in his head they were Faction/Bullseye saves, not Faction/Shield). Still, even with that one glitch, it ended with his Avatar losing to his opponents Sgt Victory and two partial phasor squads. Not bad for his first truly competitive game.
   
Made in gb
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Gods Country - ENGLAND

Bought the original DUST Tactics boxed game. Loved it. Then bought each of the Expansions in turn with all the models that were released. Best Game i have ever played. Still paly now v1 DUST Tactics rules. Never played Warfare, never played v2 rules.

For different reasons, I rank the original DUST Tactics Game right up there with Kingdom Death.

A bit of everything really....... And where's the icons for DUST Tactics, Firestorm Armada, Super Dungeon Explore, Sedition Wars, Relic Knights, Epic Armageddon???? 
   
Made in us
Oozing Spawning Vat



Powell, Ohio

Picked Dust over Konflict 47 due to the local player base and the minis. The game has definite advantages: faster play, a more engaging alternate history, a better local base, and the Premium minis(for me).

For those not aware, they make the minis in 3 versions: Kit, Primed, and Premium.
Kit you need to assemble and paint yourself
Primed are just that, already assembled and primed. The walkers and vehicles just need some touch-up and weathering and are good to go.
Premium is what I am going with. Price is comparible to GW top quality, but the minis are pre-painted FAR better than I can do. There are a number of schemed for troops, ie 'Babylon' for Middle East, 'Zverograd' for winter Russian, etc. People looked at me crazy when I told them I went Premium, but as I've gotten older and can now afford it, I can buy these guys and not have to worry about another game I won't play due to minis being unpainted. I unbox and they are ready to go with the best of them. The walkers have limited articulation, vehicles are usually multi-kits (ie make a command, support, or AA version)

Each bloc (allies, , Mercs, Axis, and SSU (Soviets)) have a number of factions that can mix to a small extent. Each faction has a starter (usually a small walker, a hero, and a squad), an Army box to boost the troops (no overlay of types), and usually has a medium walker or vehicle, another hero, and 2-3 other squads, and then a slew of Command, heavy, Scout, Recon, Anti-tank, etc squads to boost your forces. A game is 50-100 pts and the army+starter is usually pretty close to 100 pts.
Greg runs the Ohio based US outlet, and is an outstanding guy, ready with advice. My resurging Afrika Korp with zombie support is on its way!
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

Stealth7 wrote:
My resurging Afrika Korp with zombie support is on its way!

Yeah... Love me some Kampfgruppe von Stein!
   
 
Forum Index » Misc. Other Miniature Games
Go to: