I haven't posted any miniatures in a while, but I haven't been idle. Actually, I have been painting more than ever before, as between November and December 18' I assembled, based and either fully basecoated or applied the common 3 colour minimum to 189 Warhammer 40.000 miniatures. Basically I painted every day after work and on weekends during that time. The most painful part was probably greenstuffing the gaps for 80 Bloodletters. There are some industrious hobbyists out there, but for me this was quite the ordeal.
I'm participating in a Warhammer 40.000 GT
soon, and in a moment of insanity I decided that Chaos Daemons will be the army I'll go with. Their lists being quite numerous in nature, I was in for some heavy lifting. A self made ultimatum "finish it, or hang up your brushes for good" helped me forwards during dark nights with my neck bent in a 90 degree angle. Some people like to phase their workout at the gym, but I got back day, every day.
At start I thought about painting the miniatures properly (you can see some of my other work in my sig) but a few calculations later I came to the conlusion that table top level was the only rational option in this project. It was actually surprisingly difficult not caring about the little mistakes, and occasionally they still bother me but I still feel these are okay for the table.
I did some extra work when it comes to the tournament as my list changed a couple of times on the go, but atleast I got options for different setups now. Recently I finally finished the first 4 units at once, 78 Plaguebearers and a Feculent Gnarlmaw. I had actually finished 2 squads of Plaguebearers before, like a month ago, but I wasn't satisfied so I stripped them of paint and started over. Here's some shots of the finished Plaguebearers:
I painted the base lips black, dark grey and brown so that the squads are easy to distinguish with a glance during play. I also put a coat of urethane varnish on top of them, as it protects them from any damage permanently. Fixing chipped paint is quite an ordeal with this many minis. It also binds the end result together quite okay. I estimate one miniature takes around 40 minutes from box till varnishing, so during these few months 120 hours were passed easily. I got an equal amount of Bloodletters just waiting for varnish done. Unfortunately, I still
have to paint more Plaguebearers and a few other minis, but I'd say I'm on the safe side for now.