Switch Theme:

Article Discussion: Full List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ie



This is an automated message added by the articles system.

A new article titled Full List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition has been added to the dakka articles system.

This message thread is for the discussion of content in the article.

If you have anything to add to the article, then just jump in and edit it by going to the actual article page and clicking 'edit' (the link can be found just above the article). If there is no edit link then the article is locked for now, so just add your comments or content to this thread and if they are appropriate then they should eventually get merged in.

If there is something in the article that you wish to debate or comment on, then this is the place to do it. Just hit the reply button and get chatting! You need to be registered and logged in to post in the forums so if you are an anonymous article editor then now would be a great time to register and join in dakka's great forum discussion!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/07/26 23:26:45


 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

This article should be renamed as "Current Documents Used To Play Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/06/28 03:06:44


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Or possibly "List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition".

The current title is definitely misleading as they certainly aren't required to play an average game of 40k at the moment. I think the word "Used" in Ginjitzu's suggested title is also slightly misleading for the same reason.
   
Made in ca
Painlord Titan Princeps of Slaanesh





Hamilton, ON

How come BaconCatBug can submit articles anonymously?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/01 12:53:43


The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,765pts painted (updated 06/05/20)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 29/12/19, ep10 - And All That Could Have Been)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 02/02/2020)

All 'crimes' should be treasured if they bring you pleasure somehow. 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 Excommunicatus wrote:
How come BaconCatBug can submit articles anonymously?
I can't. It's a bot that announces every article made using the system.
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

Slipspace wrote:
Or possibly "List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition".

The current title is definitely misleading as they certainly aren't required to play an average game of 40k at the moment. I think the word "Used" in Ginjitzu's suggested title is also slightly misleading for the same reason.
Agreed. "Available" would be better.
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 Ginjitzu wrote:
Slipspace wrote:
Or possibly "List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition".

The current title is definitely misleading as they certainly aren't required to play an average game of 40k at the moment. I think the word "Used" in Ginjitzu's suggested title is also slightly misleading for the same reason.
Agreed. "Available" would be better.
Feel free to make your own article. I even give you explicit permission to fork mine (although that isn't needed).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/02 18:03:52


 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 BaconCatBug wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
Slipspace wrote:
Or possibly "List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition".

The current title is definitely misleading as they certainly aren't required to play an average game of 40k at the moment. I think the word "Used" in Ginjitzu's suggested title is also slightly misleading for the same reason.
Agreed. "Available" would be better.
Feel free to make your own article. I even give you explicit permission to fork mine (although that isn't needed).
That seems unnecessary. You're article is actually excellent, and in need of no amendments that I can see. It is only the misleading title with which I take umbrage.
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 Ginjitzu wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
Slipspace wrote:
Or possibly "List of Rules Material for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition".

The current title is definitely misleading as they certainly aren't required to play an average game of 40k at the moment. I think the word "Used" in Ginjitzu's suggested title is also slightly misleading for the same reason.
Agreed. "Available" would be better.
Feel free to make your own article. I even give you explicit permission to fork mine (although that isn't needed).
That seems unnecessary. You're article is actually excellent, and in need of no amendments that I can see. It is only the misleading title with which I take umbrage.
I disagree that the title is misleading. If you feel so, feel free to fork it and amend the title.
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Posting here since ingtaer demanded it.

Glad to announce we have broken the 100 barrier to the number of Documents needed!
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

The opening article line is a legitimate and self explanatory addition to the title:

The following is a list of the documents needed in order to have all the rules needed to play a game of Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition, published by by Games Workshop Group PLC


Nit picking at the title is fairly asinine imo.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

 Excommunicatus wrote:
How come BaconCatBug can submit articles anonymously?

The "Anonymous" is basically the automated system on Dakka that generates a note that an article exists.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Ratius wrote:
The opening article line is a legitimate and self explanatory addition to the title:

The following is a list of the documents needed in order to have all the rules needed to play a game of Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition, published by by Games Workshop Group PLC


Nit picking at the title is fairly asinine imo.

On the contrary, it's fairly appropriate. It is amazing that people think you somehow need to "have all the rules" to play.
Do you need the FAQ for Apocalypse if you're not playing Apocalypse? Need the FAQ for Necrons when nobody is playing Necrons?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/26 11:38:53


 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 Kanluwen wrote:
On the contrary, it's fairly appropriate. It is amazing that people think you somehow need to "have all the rules" to play.
Do you need the FAQ for Apocalypse if you're not playing Apocalypse? Need the FAQ for Necrons when nobody is playing Necrons?
You might not need it at that specific instant of time, but you do need it in general.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 BaconCatBug wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
On the contrary, it's fairly appropriate. It is amazing that people think you somehow need to "have all the rules" to play.
Do you need the FAQ for Apocalypse if you're not playing Apocalypse? Need the FAQ for Necrons when nobody is playing Necrons?
You might not need it at that specific instant of time, but you do need it in general.

You don't need it at all if you never play Apocalypse.


Ultimately, the only documents you need to play the game are the rulebook and your codex. It's certainly helpful to have all of the rules if you are likely to find yourself playing a variety of opponents and game styles... but there are a lot of players who only ever play using the same army, against the same small pool of opponents. There is absolutely no reason for players to feel like they need codexes for armies that they are never going to use or face on the table.

So yes, the title is misleading, and I have changed it.

 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 insaniak wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
On the contrary, it's fairly appropriate. It is amazing that people think you somehow need to "have all the rules" to play.
Do you need the FAQ for Apocalypse if you're not playing Apocalypse? Need the FAQ for Necrons when nobody is playing Necrons?
You might not need it at that specific instant of time, but you do need it in general.

You don't need it at all if you never play Apocalypse.


Ultimately, the only documents you need to play the game are the rulebook and your codex. It's certainly helpful to have all of the rules if you are likely to find yourself playing a variety of opponents and game styles... but there are a lot of players who only ever play using the same army, against the same small pool of opponents. There is absolutely no reason for players to feel like they need codexes for armies that they are never going to use or face on the table.

So yes, the title is misleading, and I have changed it.
Excuse me, but what? I am going to be complaining to Yakface directly. Change it back immediately. The title is not misleading. This is nothing but an abuse of moderator power. Just because you disagree with it does not give you the right to change it unilaterally.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/07/26 19:28:55


 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

I'm the article mod. It is literally my job to edit articles if I feel that there is something inappropriate about them.

I have also edited out the rant you inserted at the top of the article.

 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 insaniak wrote:
I'm the article mod. It is literally my job to edit articles if I feel that there is something inappropriate about them.

I have also edited out the rant you inserted at the top of the article.
So you're editing the article now, because you disagree with it? The article did not break any rules. If I change my signature to indicate you edited the title are you going to edit my signature too?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/26 19:42:04


 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

You're apparently still not getting the point. Your claim that all 102 of those documents are 'needed' to play a game of Warhammer 40K is false and misleading. So yes, I edited it.

The article system is not the forum. It's a collection of articles about the game, which anyone is free to edit, under oversight of the article mod. Articles will be edited if they are found to contain errors, or format issues, or for any of a number of other reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not they break the rules of the site. That's precisely how they're intended to work.


 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 insaniak wrote:
You're apparently still not getting the point. Your claim that all 102 of those documents are 'needed' to play a game of Warhammer 40K is false and misleading. So yes, I edited it.

The article system is not the forum. It's a collection of articles about the game, which anyone is free to edit, under oversight of the article mod. Articles will be edited if they are found to contain errors, or format issues, or for any of a number of other reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not they break the rules of the site. That's precisely how they're intended to work.

Except there is no error. Your OPINION is that it is misleading. It is, however, not misleading. I assume then I can report any articles I find to have a misleading title and they will be immediately edited? Otherwise it seems like a case of "Rules for thee and not for me."
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

A player with a Space Marine army, who only ever plays against someone with a Tau army does not need the Tyranid codex in order to play a game. People who do not use any Forgeworld units (which is still a lot of players) do not need any of the Forgeworld documents in order to play a game.

Those documents are required in order to have all of the rules. They are not required in order to play a game. The only documents required to play a game are the documents that specifically pertain to the armies and rules being used for that game... and ultimately, even the FAQs aren't technically required to play.

So yes, the title and the intro text to the article were misleading.


And sure, you can report any articles that you feel need to be edited. You can edit any articles that you feel need to be edited, because, again, that's how a wiki system works.

I would, however, caution against abusing that system in order to try to make some sort of point. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.





 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 insaniak wrote:
A player with a Space Marine army, who only ever plays against someone with a Tau army does not need the Tyranid codex in order to play a game. People who do not use any Forgeworld units (which is still a lot of players) do not need any of the Forgeworld documents in order to play a game.

Those documents are required in order to have all of the rules. They are not required in order to play a game. The only documents required to play a game are the documents that specifically pertain to the armies and rules being used for that game... and ultimately, even the FAQs aren't technically required to play.

So yes, the title and the intro text to the article were misleading.


And sure, you can report any articles that you feel need to be edited. You can edit any articles that you feel need to be edited, because, again, that's how a wiki system works.

I would, however, caution against abusing that system in order to try to make some sort of point. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.
The intro text stating that you edited the title name was not misleading...
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

No, it was an uneccessary rant that you added because you weren't getting your own way. So it was removed.








 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 BaconCatBug wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
You're apparently still not getting the point. Your claim that all 102 of those documents are 'needed' to play a game of Warhammer 40K is false and misleading. So yes, I edited it.

The article system is not the forum. It's a collection of articles about the game, which anyone is free to edit, under oversight of the article mod. Articles will be edited if they are found to contain errors, or format issues, or for any of a number of other reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not they break the rules of the site. That's precisely how they're intended to work.

Except there is no error. Your OPINION is that it is misleading. It is, however, not misleading. I assume then I can report any articles I find to have a misleading title and they will be immediately edited? Otherwise it seems like a case of "Rules for thee and not for me."


Presumably they'd be edited if the Mod agreed with your reasoning. That's exactly how the Moderator system works - it's ultimately a group of people following guidelines and applying those guidelines to the best of their ability and judgement. The first 3 people that commented on this article all made the same point about the misleading title, so it's a bit of a stretch to claim this is some sort of Mod power trip. I think your article is a good resource for locating what rules may be needed depnding on the army you play but the title was not an accurate description of the contents of the article because I doubt there's ever been a single game of 40k played that required all of those rules sources.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Shouldn't Codex: Daemonkin be removed from the list, as it's been superseded by the second printing of Codex CSM? Unless there are rules in it that aren't in the big codex.

Fan of lore, stealthy black-armored marines, life-alert black-armored marines, and lunatic necrons. 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Cardiff

Edited because mod edit changed the meaning.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/29 08:46:17


 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Villanous Scum







From now on please keep all the discussion in this thread to pertinent information and not as a vehicle to score petty points. Any further spam, OT or 'cute' posts will earn their author a warning and/or suspension.
Thanks,
ingtaer.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire. 
   
 
Forum Index » Article Discussion
Go to: