Switch Theme:

Jedi: Fallen Order  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.



This was announced last year at E3...but nothing really was being leaked about it.

Respawn's made it clear:
No Multiplayer
No Microtransactions
Just a campaign.

The big bad("Second Sister") and her Purge Troopers apparently are coming to us out of the Vader comics by Charles Soule.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




Thats.... potentially interesting.

But it depends on what gameplay actually looks like.
And would be greatly helped if it has character creation rather than having to listen to Blandy McBoringson.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

Interesting concept and it will probably be fun in an Unleashed kind of way.

Looks like a missed opportunity to do a stealth type game where you have the ability to dominate with force powers but must be super careful with their use as it will draw more scrutiny.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in us
Ship's Officer





LA

Not thrilled with the main character. Would have rather played a grizzled 30-40 something year old clone wars veteran who survived order 66 (which is more believable to begin with). Not this 20 year old who I can tell will get on my nerves. I get too much star wars rebels vibes from this, was hoping for something more mature.

 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Thargrim wrote:
Not thrilled with the main character. Would have rather played a grizzled 30-40 something year old clone wars veteran who survived order 66 (which is more believable to begin with). Not this 20 year old who I can tell will get on my nerves.

I mean, "believable" when talking about a synchronized galaxywide mutiny targeting generals(any Jedi not an Apprentice/Padawan held the rank of General) and commanders(Padawans and some Knights) is a bit of a thing.

I'd honestly say it is more believable that the kid apprentice would be able to fit in after the Purge. There were a lot of apprentices but not as many Knights or Masters and just from the perspective of logistics, the apprentices would be able to assume a new identity a bit easier than those you're talking about.

Hell, even just thinking about the identity aspect alone should make it a bit easier to believe that the kid would be able to successfully get into society easier than the adult.
I get too much star wars rebels vibes from this, was hoping for something more mature.

Because guerilla resistances and being part of founding a galaxywide rebellion?

That's for kids!
All honesty: have you watched Rebels past the first season? As that show went on, like the Clone Wars show before it, it matured. Yeah it never really becomes R rated or whatever but it definitely grew a bit more than your typical "kids show" by the end of it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Eldarain wrote:
Interesting concept and it will probably be fun in an Unleashed kind of way.

Looks like a missed opportunity to do a stealth type game where you have the ability to dominate with force powers but must be super careful with their use as it will draw more scrutiny.

We haven't really seen anything gameplay related, it's a bit too early to say what's a "missed opportunity" or anything of that nature.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/14 20:17:28


 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

 Kanluwen wrote:

 Eldarain wrote:
Interesting concept and it will probably be fun in an Unleashed kind of way.

Looks like a missed opportunity to do a stealth type game where you have the ability to dominate with force powers but must be super careful with their use as it will draw more scrutiny.

We haven't really seen anything gameplay related, it's a bit too early to say what's a "missed opportunity" or anything of that nature.

https://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2019/04/14/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-is-not-a-stealth-game

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Scotland

Wow I can't wait to get the chance to play *checks notes* a white dude Jedi. Not seen that before.

A galaxy filled with aliens.
   
Made in us
Ship's Officer





LA

Yeah they coulda made him a chiss, twi lek, hell anything. Though I also did not like the force unleashed character either. I really like single player games where you have some control over your character. I kinda like the KOTOR style where people talk to you, you have no voice actor and can kind of imprint yourself into the characters shoes. Instead of being forced to get invested in this lil dudebro of a character.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

I could swear Visceral Games got shut down for not making a multiplier Star Wars game compatible with Micro-Transactions.

My my my.

The irony.

   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Scotland

Wonder if the game will end with Vader-bait getting killed or whether they'll want to tie him into some other TV thing later down the line.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 Eldarain wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:

 Eldarain wrote:
Interesting concept and it will probably be fun in an Unleashed kind of way.

Looks like a missed opportunity to do a stealth type game where you have the ability to dominate with force powers but must be super careful with their use as it will draw more scrutiny.

We haven't really seen anything gameplay related, it's a bit too early to say what's a "missed opportunity" or anything of that nature.

https://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2019/04/14/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-is-not-a-stealth-game


Huh. I especially like the 'I can see how people would think that' line from the dev. Uh, yeah. The trailer is entirely about blending in and *not* overtly being a Jedi, because that leads to a kill squad in your face. So if they're trying the sell the game as entirely about the Jedi/lightsaber power-fantasy murder-fest, they done goofed.

It doesn't give me much confidence that they understand the themes and concepts involved either. 'Stealth doesn't fit into the Jedi power fantasy.' What? Almost all the Jedi we see at least attempt the sneaky approach, and avoid unnecessary confrontations. The ones that don't tend to fall.
It might end up being a fun murder-fest game, but its seems inherently off-theme from the start.

LordofHats wrote:I could swear Visceral Games got shut down for not making a multiplier Star Wars game compatible with Micro-Transactions.

My my my.

The irony.
They really had to let something reach the market at some point. Especially in the face of Disney making noisees about their own software studio (or reopening Lucas Arts, whichever way that was going). Its a hell of a license just to sit on. I wouldn't be surprised if they were obligated to do a minimum number of games (to prevent burying the SW title with no releases in the sci-fi games market while they release sci-fi games under their own IP)

Gael Knight wrote:Wonder if the game will end with Vader-bait getting killed or whether they'll want to tie him into some other TV thing later down the line.

I'd expect them to set up a sequel game rather than worry about a possible direct-to-stream show tie-in. Its very common for a studio to aim at doing trilogies, at the least. Makes developing (or altering) an engine and creating assets more cost-effective.





Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






After the last half dozen games that were either released or cancelled, I'll wait until it's out and reviews are up. Looks promising as do the disclaimers EA is releasing about no microtransactions or loot boxes but, after what ultimately came about with Anthem, it could be meaningless.

   
Made in ca
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot





After the loss of 1313, I just hope its a way to delve into the criminal underworld at some level. I sincerely hope he doesn't get involved with helping found or be involved with the fledgling rebellion at any point, since it'll become a slightly altered rehash of Force Unleashed. I expect EA to somehow "force" the players to pay for cosmetics somehow, probably post-release to avoid immediate controversy, like different coloured lightsabers and certain force abilities.

My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
Made in us
Consigned to the Grim Darkness





USA

Hope the main character isn't boring. He kinda looks it.

The people in the past who convinced themselves to do unspeakable things were no less human than you or I. They made their decisions; the only thing that prevents history from repeating itself is making different ones.
-- Adam Serwer
My blog
 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 Melissia wrote:
Hope the main character isn't boring. He kinda looks it.


I'm sure he'll be an amazing change of pace from the last 50 characters who look and sound just like him.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 LordofHats wrote:

I'm sure he'll be an amazing change of pace from the last 50 characters who look and sound just like him.


Yeah, he's practically indistinguishable from the protagonist in Battlefront 2 and those of the new trilogy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/15 02:37:23


   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





 LordofHats wrote:
I could swear Visceral Games got shut down for not making a multiplier Star Wars game compatible with Micro-Transactions.

My my my.

The irony.


It pays to be the favorite it seems.

 Ouze wrote:

How did you forget that time you got elected King of the Liberals? You swore on a copy of the Communist Manifesto that you would defend every belief held by any member of the left, foreign or domestic, or may you be cursed to forever more drink only non-fair-trade coffee, forevermore


*0 Dakka Suspensions and still going strong! Probably because I believe in science!* 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 warboss wrote:
Yeah, he's practically indistinguishable from the protagonist in Battlefront 2 and those of the new trilogy.


Not what I'm referring too. Actually, even if we're only talking about Star Wars.

But hey, maybe Star Killer 2.0 will turn out to be amazing. The first one was pretty good... until that whole whatever the feth that was in Force Unleashed 2. But maybe we just forget that part. Twas a silly game.

   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

A KOTOR style game set in the Empire could be very cool. Hopefully it has some of the same style.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 Grey Templar wrote:
A KOTOR style game set in the Empire could be very cool. Hopefully it has some of the same style.


I think a real Jedi Knight game (in line with Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy) is long overdue. That game was stupid, but it was stupid fun. Force Unleashed was the closest to it, but it just wasn't the same kind of game (bad replay value too).

   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





It is EA publishing, I think for monetization they will bring back the good old non finished but finishable with DLC shenanigans.

But maybee i am too pesimistic.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 LordofHats wrote:
 warboss wrote:
Yeah, he's practically indistinguishable from the protagonist in Battlefront 2 and those of the new trilogy.


Not what I'm referring too. Actually, even if we're only talking about Star Wars.

But hey, maybe Star Killer 2.0 will turn out to be amazing. The first one was pretty good... until that whole whatever the feth that was in Force Unleashed 2. But maybe we just forget that part. Twas a silly game.
Given how many of those characters are quite well known and popular.. I'd say that kinda goes against your point.

It's also hilarious they chose to put characters in who are customizable too into that list. Regardless, a good character is a good character no matter what it looks like.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/15 12:43:06


 
   
Made in us
Consigned to the Grim Darkness





USA

 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Given how many of those characters are quite well known and popular..
The games they're in are well known and popular, but the characters themselves are often ultimately kind of interchangeable and forgettable.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/15 13:10:29


The people in the past who convinced themselves to do unspeakable things were no less human than you or I. They made their decisions; the only thing that prevents history from repeating itself is making different ones.
-- Adam Serwer
My blog
 
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Melissia wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Given how many of those characters are quite well known and popular..
The games they're in are well known and popular, but the characters themselves are often ultimately kind of interchangeable and forgettable.


And them having a different skintone or dangly bits would change that?

They're - to a degree - interchangeable and forgettable because they're ciphers who have to act as proxies for potentially millions of diverse individuals. They would still have to be that if female, or asian, or Twi-lek.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't make some of this kind of character female, or asian, or Twi-leks, I'm just saying the complaint ostensibly being made would still be applicable if they did, so it seems a bit odd to tie it to sex and skintone as if the problem is that they're white and male.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker





Scotland

I don't think Mellissia mentioned any of those things, but I did.

I think having a white human jedi character has been done to death when there are so many other options to choose from. It's a setting filled with aliens why does it need to be a white guy. It's dull. There were plenty of alien Padawans. We've had this arc with Kanan Jarrus. Something new please.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

Its from a decent studio, so aught not to be bad. Though they're now under EA, so anything could happen. A Star Wars game built like Titanfall could work, but since the original trilogy everyone's been trying to turn Jedi into Superhero ninjas, so having them wall running and other silliness is par the course.

I'd rather have an RPG. Though if its reviewed well an action game will definitely have an audience.

 
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Thats my problem with SW, and Star Trek, and Mass Effect. In fantasy games they are more leniant to let you play an elf or a dwarf but in Sci fy ones? Humans all day!

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






There is no diversity "problem" in modern Star Wars (or arguably ever in the movie franchise although I will admit that it was an issue in the games during the 90's). The last game main character introduced was portrayed by an Indian actress. Other games had customizable characters with whatever combination of skin color and gender (and species on occasion) you wanted. Every new protagonist introduced during the Disney movie era checks off at least one box on the diversity checklist with a multiple female along with black and hispanic male actors. The cartoons starred a Togruta female and a dark skinned male.

Can we now instead go back to discussing the game instead of the skin color and sex of the protagonist?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/15 14:23:47


   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived





Norristown, PA

Trailer looks good to me, i'll try it out

   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Nobody used white dude protagonist as a way to call out diversity but to call out the boredom f the protagonist in a galaxy full of cool aliens.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
 
Forum Index » Video Games
Go to: