Switch Theme:

Game Ballance - Fairness - Chapter Master - Relics - Warlord Traits  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Been Around the Block




Is there a game ballance reason as to why:

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights "chapter masters" do not have the same chapter master re-roll hits rule as codex marines??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights have the old 1/3 cp for extra +1/+2 relics instead of the 1cp per relic that codex marines have??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights can not have a second character with a warlord trait were as all "codex" marines can??
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






Some marines sell better than others..

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in au
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





Gunrunner1775 wrote:
Is there a game ballance reason as to why:

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights "chapter masters" do not have the same chapter master re-roll hits rule as codex marines??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights have the old 1/3 cp for extra +1/+2 relics instead of the 1cp per relic that codex marines have??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights can not have a second character with a warlord trait were as all "codex" marines can??


I think the simple explanation is that Space Marines have a newer codex where these changes were made, that PA didn't address.

One could assume that when the other marine factions receive their new proper 2nd codex this will also be revisited. Similar to how Abbadon was updated to reroll all hits with Vigilus (CSM 2nd print)


"Courage and Honour. I hear you murmur these words in the mist, in their wake I hear your hearts beat harder with false conviction seeking to convince yourselves that a brave death has meaning.
There is no courage to be found here my nephews, no honour to be had. Your souls will join the trillion others in the mist shrieking uselessly to eternity, weeping for the empire you could not save.

To the unfaithful, I bring holy plagues ripe with enlightenment. To the devout, I bring the blessing of immortality through the kiss of sacred rot.
And to you, new-born sons of Gulliman, to you flesh crafted puppets of a failing Imperium I bring the holiest gift of all.... Silence."
- Mortarion, The Death Lord, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle


5300 | 2800 | 1700 | 3600 | 2100 | 550

 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

Because whoever wrote their rules actually had a concept of balance between them and the non loyalist space marine factions? Maybe he wasn't a moron and understood that giving out rerolls, warlord traits, and relics like free candy along with new doctrines, super doctrines, new psychic powers, and strategems might destroy said balance?

Or they'll probably get all that crap when they get a new codex.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/11 03:05:35


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




There isn't. This is why I've been for rolling Dark Angels and Blood Angels into Codex Marines for the benefits of ease of updating and more importantly consistency.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in au
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





Are you referring to playing DA and BA as normal space marines or do you mean treating Chapter Master in DA the same as what it is in SM for example?


"Courage and Honour. I hear you murmur these words in the mist, in their wake I hear your hearts beat harder with false conviction seeking to convince yourselves that a brave death has meaning.
There is no courage to be found here my nephews, no honour to be had. Your souls will join the trillion others in the mist shrieking uselessly to eternity, weeping for the empire you could not save.

To the unfaithful, I bring holy plagues ripe with enlightenment. To the devout, I bring the blessing of immortality through the kiss of sacred rot.
And to you, new-born sons of Gulliman, to you flesh crafted puppets of a failing Imperium I bring the holiest gift of all.... Silence."
- Mortarion, The Death Lord, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle


5300 | 2800 | 1700 | 3600 | 2100 | 550

 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Space a thought to poor 1KSons, who just today (or last night, rather) found out that they can't make use of even 2 of their 9 new options at once.

   
Made in au
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Space a thought to poor 1KSons, who just today (or last night, rather) found out that they can't make use of even 2 of their 9 new options at once.


Yep, was just reading the FAQ earlier today - TS treatment really makes me worry when they get around to DG...


"Courage and Honour. I hear you murmur these words in the mist, in their wake I hear your hearts beat harder with false conviction seeking to convince yourselves that a brave death has meaning.
There is no courage to be found here my nephews, no honour to be had. Your souls will join the trillion others in the mist shrieking uselessly to eternity, weeping for the empire you could not save.

To the unfaithful, I bring holy plagues ripe with enlightenment. To the devout, I bring the blessing of immortality through the kiss of sacred rot.
And to you, new-born sons of Gulliman, to you flesh crafted puppets of a failing Imperium I bring the holiest gift of all.... Silence."
- Mortarion, The Death Lord, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle


5300 | 2800 | 1700 | 3600 | 2100 | 550

 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Space a thought to poor 1KSons, who just today (or last night, rather) found out that they can't make use of even 2 of their 9 new options at once.

Hey how many do you need for a supreme command detachment?

Remember it's soup for chaos. No pure armies for us filthy heretics !
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 NurglesR0T wrote:
Are you referring to playing DA and BA as normal space marines or do you mean treating Chapter Master in DA the same as what it is in SM for example?


As normal Marines. They don't have enough functional differences like Space Wolves to be different. Ergo I'm all for consolidating profiles, shared equipment and certain units, and then toss out all the bloat from the supplements/Angels and keep:
1. 4-5 unique units, not counting Special Characters (though I'm for getting rid some of them as they add nothing of value)
2. 3 Warlord Traits
3. 4 Relics, with one range weapon, one melee weapon, one armor/bike/jump pack, and lastly one support relixlc
4. 2 Psyker Powers
5. 5 Strats
6. 1 Litany
Successors are handled via taking the main part that is important of the Chapter Tactic (so obviously the big draw for Iron Hands that won't vary is the 6+++, so all successors have it) and then the secondary part will vary. Not all the Iron Hands successors will be better at Overwatch, so maybe Bolter Fusilades is their thing, or they might have the extra LD bonus for being stubborn. This means you don't get Ultramarine successors that are somehow sneaky and have better made weapons. It's a bit silly that the Successor Chapter is THAT much different. "Mystery" Successor Chapters just need to choose based on what seems appropriate.
Renegades get rolled in here. They lose the unique stuff for Loyalist scum and get the same number of replacements. My reasoning is that, even though they're Traitors and Heretics, they will fight closer to how their Parent Chapters operate and with the same equipment overall. Of course the new relics and Strats would hint entirely at the 4 different Chaos Gods but without the keywords, stopping abuse from Allies entirely.
I've proven before a theoretical codex like this is not terribly bloated and would have enough room for the important bits of lore.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in gb
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Is there a reason why Xenos armies lack rerolls generally?

Is there a reason Xenos armies get half the number of relics to choose from and are locked into the 1CP/3CP stratagem to get more?

Is there a reason most Xenos factions have no way to give a second character a Warlord trait?

Is there a reason Xenos factions have to give up a warlord trait to make other units function as intended?

Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/11 07:19:12


 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Gunrunner1775 wrote:
Is there a game ballance reason as to why:

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights "chapter masters" do not have the same chapter master re-roll hits rule as codex marines??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights have the old 1/3 cp for extra +1/+2 relics instead of the 1cp per relic that codex marines have??

Blood Angels - Dark Angels - Grey Knights can not have a second character with a warlord trait were as all "codex" marines can??


Two words: Power creep.

Few more: Money making. Power creep sells codexes and models.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2020/02/24/tneva82-winter-war-tournament-report/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Is there a reason why Xenos armies lack rerolls generally?

Is there a reason Xenos armies get half the number of relics to choose from and are locked into the 1CP/3CP stratagem to get more?

Is there a reason most Xenos factions have no way to give a second character a Warlord trait?

Is there a reason Xenos factions have to give up a warlord trait to make other units function as intended?

Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?

Can we keep to the topic? The topic isn't "let's drown the world in a million xenos tears ".
   
Made in gb
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Gadzilla666 wrote:
 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Is there a reason why Xenos armies lack rerolls generally?

Is there a reason Xenos armies get half the number of relics to choose from and are locked into the 1CP/3CP stratagem to get more?

Is there a reason most Xenos factions have no way to give a second character a Warlord trait?

Is there a reason Xenos factions have to give up a warlord trait to make other units function as intended?

Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?

Can we keep to the topic? The topic isn't "let's drown the world in a million xenos tears ".

Oh it’s on topic. Likely the same answer for my questions for those of the OP.

Also, pot meet kettle;

Gadzilla666 wrote:
Remember it's soup for chaos. No pure armies for us filthy heretics !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/11 08:03:50


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 An Actual Englishman wrote:


Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?


same reason why Coca Cola produces more varities of Coke then Barq's Rootbeer. I like Rootbeer, it's my fav soft drink, but it's got a much lower market penatration then Coca Cola (as you're in the UK you might not have even heard of it, or tried it, it's damned hard to get in Europe, or was when I was last there) Coke meanwhile is well know, the flagship product, and sells quite well, so variations on it are a lot safer a bet for them. remember GW is a publicly traded company, that tends to make them conservitive and more inclined towards "a sure thing". Its'w hy Coca Cola produces so many Coke varients, why Disney pumps out sequal after sequal, and yes why GW puts out so many space Marines.





Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Is there a reason why Xenos armies lack rerolls generally?

Is there a reason Xenos armies get half the number of relics to choose from and are locked into the 1CP/3CP stratagem to get more?

Is there a reason most Xenos factions have no way to give a second character a Warlord trait?

Is there a reason Xenos factions have to give up a warlord trait to make other units function as intended?

Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?

Can we keep to the topic? The topic isn't "let's drown the world in a million xenos tears ".

Oh it’s on topic. Likely the same answer for my questions for those of the OP.

Also, pot meet kettle;

Gadzilla666 wrote:
Remember it's soup for chaos. No pure armies for us filthy heretics !

Yeah. Was just giving a little tit for tat.

Remember us npcs gotta stick together.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
BrianDavion wrote:
 An Actual Englishman wrote:


Is there a reason why Xenos factions have 1/3 or less of the unit options all Marines enjoy?


same reason why Coca Cola produces more varities of Coke then Barq's Rootbeer. I like Rootbeer, it's my fav soft drink, but it's got a much lower market penatration then Coca Cola (as you're in the UK you might not have even heard of it, or tried it, it's damned hard to get in Europe, or was when I was last there) Coke meanwhile is well know, the flagship product, and sells quite well, so variations on it are a lot safer a bet for them. remember GW is a publicly traded company, that tends to make them conservitive and more inclined towards "a sure thing". Its'w hy Coca Cola produces so many Coke varients, why Disney pumps out sequal after sequal, and yes why GW puts out so many space Marines.





Yes but factions in 40k aren't like soft drinks. I run out of root beer, I go buy more root beer. However if an ork or eldar player already has all the models they need, and gw doesn't produce any new models, they won't buy any. So it's pretty hard to gauge the interest in a faction that doesn't get any support.

And the complaint is rules. It costs just as much to print good rules as bad. Would it have costed gw that much to print six paragraphs in Faith and Fury fixing the legion traits as opposed to printing another marine buff or page of fluff?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/02/11 08:23:43


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: