Switch Theme:

GW Partial Reopening-US and AUS reopening May 7  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/21/lockdown-updategw-homepage-post-2/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHTV&utm_content=whtvlockdownupdate2104020&fbclid=IwAR3j053SJCWbc1EUxWsg8xzoWC65C_0W36f3fu__EHf3g_9kSZBaxg4cx24


GW is taking tentative steps to re-open some of their stores as some countries/regions are relaxing lockdowns. Stores will still be restricting service so no painting or gaming, purely just there to act as a vendor for selling with social distancing being enforced within the store and, in busy stores, likely restricting how many can enter at once. They note that at present no UK nor US stores will be open and that their GW Factories are still closed. So for now it would be stores operating with whatever they've got on the shelves and potentially whatever is in their local distribution chain.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/06 16:50:26


   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

This would be smart.

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The longer people have to get used to deliveries, the less appealing it will be to go to the store.

Feeling for the one-man GW stores, with nobody to fall back on.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 techsoldaten wrote:
This would be smart.

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The longer people have to get used to deliveries, the less appealing it will be to go to the store.

Feeling for the one-man GW stores, with nobody to fall back on.


In places where they are in short supply (most places) the Ebay prices have jumped up. People have been bidding £10 on regular paints!

   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

 Overread wrote:
 techsoldaten wrote:
This would be smart.

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The longer people have to get used to deliveries, the less appealing it will be to go to the store.

Feeling for the one-man GW stores, with nobody to fall back on.


In places where they are in short supply (most places) the Ebay prices have jumped up. People have been bidding £10 on regular paints!

Yeah, supply is going to become volatile for a while. That could be an even worse situation, having prices go past MSRP.

The main point is reopening some stores is a good thing.

   
Made in ca
Phanobi






Canada,Prince Edward Island

Nuln Oil is gonna be more expensive than actual oil in a matter of weeks I think...

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Hopefully this will lead to more selection on Ebay, now that people can refill their stocks. Though, if they open in the US, I'd prefer that instead. Buying models on ebay is one thing, but I wouldn't trust buying paints
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Commander Cain wrote:
Nuln Oil is gonna be more expensive than actual oil in a matter of weeks I think...


Oil is currently something like -£30 a barrel right now - so basically everything is more valuable than oil at present.

   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




GaroRobe wrote:
Hopefully this will lead to more selection on Ebay, now that people can refill their stocks. Though, if they open in the US, I'd prefer that instead. Buying models on ebay is one thing, but I wouldn't trust buying paints


Given how gacked up the current GW paints can be on the rack in stores, I hesitate on buying them direct from GW online. I'd never do it from a third party.
I've spent an hour in a store before taking every bottle of paint (of colors I specifically wanted) off the rack, shaking them thoroughly, and putting them all back because none of them are in good enough shape to actually buy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/21 17:53:11


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





 techsoldaten wrote:

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The couple of things I'm looking for on ebay at the moment (since my usual online retailers obviously don't have reliable restocking) are priced at 150% rrp, ie double what I'd pay from an online discount seller.
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Overread wrote:
 techsoldaten wrote:
This would be smart.

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The longer people have to get used to deliveries, the less appealing it will be to go to the store.

Feeling for the one-man GW stores, with nobody to fall back on.


In places where they are in short supply (most places) the Ebay prices have jumped up. People have been bidding £10 on regular paints!

On Amazon Nuln Oil is going for $19.20 a pot...

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran




I hope they do a limited reopening of their warehouses. It would be nice to get some of the orders fulfilled, even if it's done slowly (IE - they do a serious attempt at social distancing in their warehouse).

   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Very unlikely at the present time.

Yes they could I suppose obey social distancing, but that’s without taking into account any other laws and regulations they’re obliged to follow.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Very unlikely at the present time.

Yes they could I suppose obey social distancing, but that’s without taking into account any other laws and regulations they’re obliged to follow.


The problem is likely that plastic factories are designed to push out product at a fast rate. The actual machine side they could likely operate with a skeleton crew with safe distancing. I'd imagine the issue would be the packaging side and just keeping up with the machines.

   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

JWBS wrote:
 techsoldaten wrote:

Right now, anyone who is buying anything is getting their stuff on eBay at 25% off.

The couple of things I'm looking for on ebay at the moment (since my usual online retailers obviously don't have reliable restocking) are priced at 150% rrp, ie double what I'd pay from an online discount seller.

I suspect we're going to see the opposite before this is all over.

There's a lot of hobby stores that don't have a way to sell right now. Even if they have an internet storefront, stay-at-home orders can prevent them from shipping anything.

If GW comes back online around the same time stores can start selling again, it's going to be a buyer's market.

   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I think paint is going to be the big issue post lockdown,

at least 2 factories have retooled to do hand sanitiser instead (coat d'arm and warlord), and I wouldn't be surprised if more have

and once your making it and people are relying on it (especially if it's going into the health service/care homes) it's going to be difficult to stop and go back to paint until the demand ends

 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

 OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
I think paint is going to be the big issue post lockdown,

at least 2 factories have retooled to do hand sanitiser instead (coat d'arm and warlord), and I wouldn't be surprised if more have

and once your making it and people are relying on it (especially if it's going into the health service/care homes) it's going to be difficult to stop and go back to paint until the demand ends


Maybe.

Businesses have an incentive to get back to normal operations and most of them can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Does anyone know who makes GW's paint? I know it's not done in-house, wonder if we can figure out what company is producing it.

   
Made in de
Enginseer with a Wrench






Good pic. The Stormcast has full PPE, as has the Mechanicus guy (to protect the elderly punk - he's part of the risk-group). The Cadian and the Dark Eldar have to keep safe distance - the Cadian isn't part of a command squad and too poor to pay Forge World prices to get a respirator mask and the Dark Eldar girl too conceited to wear a helmet - can't be helped.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Good, I need Customer Service and warehouse to open up soon. A couple models in a Warcry starter I bought last week were broken beyond repair in the box because they still package big boxes with no buffer between kits, which was especially a bad idea in a set that has heavy terrain sprues.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







I'm honestly amazed by the complete lack of WTFness going on here.

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak, it's still like...

What the frag?

Like, if it was Kirby in charge, I wouldn't be surprised at all. But with current leadership... I thought they were better.

GW does know that dead people don't make good long term customers, right?
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Compel wrote:
I'm honestly amazed by the complete lack of WTFness going on here.

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak, it's still like...

What the frag?

Like, if it was Kirby in charge, I wouldn't be surprised at all. But with current leadership... I thought they were better.

GW does know that dead people don't make good long term customers, right?


This is in countries where lockdowns are ending, not where they are basically at their midpoint like the UK. Of course any reduction in lockdowns is likely to set the whole cycle going again, that's basically almost a given util you can inoculate the population. However it does allow the country to make some return to normality, even if just for a few weeks. Plus the stores are only working just the same as your supermarkets are right now - social distancing; limited customers in the shop; no playing or hanging around. If the countries are reactivating and other shops and services are trading then GW should be able to join in as much as any others where its safe to do so.

   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






I'd agree, but how many people are going to be inside a GW store at the same time if you aren't allowed to hang around, paint or game there?
You'd be hard pressed to find a better way to social distance yourself

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in gb
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





 Compel wrote:
I'm honestly amazed by the complete lack of WTFness going on here.

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak, it's still like...

What the frag?

Like, if it was Kirby in charge, I wouldn't be surprised at all. But with current leadership... I thought they were better.

GW does know that dead people don't make good long term customers, right?

You seem slightly hysterical.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







 Compel wrote:

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak


Apparently I was too subtle...

GW is going to have blood on their hands, from both their customers and staff. And it's not going to be a Contrast paint.
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Eye of Terror

 Compel wrote:
I'm honestly amazed by the complete lack of WTFness going on here.

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak, it's still like...

What the frag?

Like, if it was Kirby in charge, I wouldn't be surprised at all. But with current leadership... I thought they were better.

GW does know that dead people don't make good long term customers, right?

Ordinarily, we don't think about death much, but Covid-19 has been saving lives.

Where I live, mortality is more than 50% below annual averages thanks to stay at home orders. The fact people are not driving is a big factor. Nurses are making Tic-Tok videos at the hospital because there's no one there. The people who have been dying are mostly 70 years or older and the majority had a pre-existing condition.

It's not possible to stay at home forever, but it is possible to control the spread of disease without keeping everyone locked in their homes. The picture you have of availability of testing, PPE, hospital beds, contact tracking, etc may be dated, a lot has happened even over the last week.

And if you're somewhere else other than the US - the borders are closed. We're not coming there, you're not coming here.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Compel wrote:
 Compel wrote:

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak


Apparently I was too subtle...

GW is going to have blood on their hands, from both their customers and staff. And it's not going to be a Contrast paint.


That's somewhat overblown considering that they will be one of many companies opening up. Supermarkets, pharmasists, restaurants, shoe shops etc... are in the same boat. The thing is you can't just shut the whole world down for 3 years to develop a vaccine. Even if the government just printed money you'll never keep the entire population self isolating for that long. It just won't happen. If anything keep it going too long and protests like the USA has seen would become more widespread. If anything controlled unlock periods are like pressure release on the population and provided that re-applying lockdowns happens quick enough then infections spreading once again (if and when they happen) should be manageable to be done within the health systems limitations. Accepting that most developed countries are also increasing stocks of drugs, PPE, ventilatiors and basic facilities all the time.

   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Compel wrote:
 Compel wrote:

Like even, even if you accept that this is only in some countries that have gone past the peak


Apparently I was too subtle...

GW is going to have blood on their hands, from both their customers and staff. And it's not going to be a Contrast paint.


Ok, so erm what about governments reopening?
Does that also count?


The lockdown was and is only a temporary measure to lower deaths and buy time. And it is a fact of life that people die, as callous as that sounds.

If gw can maintain the security advise , social distancing etc within their Shops and factory which have proven to work then i See no issue with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/04/21 21:15:45


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in gb
Novice Knight Errant Pilot





Blood on their hands guys. Blood on their hands. Was that not emotive enough to be entirely convincing? smh.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







I'm angry and disappointed, I get emotive.

Anyway, I've said my piece, screamed into the void, I'm done.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stonecold Gimster






Voss wrote:
Given how gacked up the current GW paints can be on the rack in stores, I hesitate on buying them direct from GW online. I'd never do it from a third party.
I've spent an hour in a store before taking every bottle of paint (of colors I specifically wanted) off the rack, shaking them thoroughly, and putting them all back because none of them are in good enough shape to actually buy.


Sheesh. Find a better brand. They clearly can't be that good quality if you have to do that to buy them - at a higher price than any other manufacturer (for less).

OT.
Many other online stores are still open, or like TTcombat, reopening. I wonder how long till GW online is running again.

My Painting Blog: http://gimgamgoo.com/
Currently most played: Silent Death, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Dracula's America, Bolt Action, X-Wing 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Gimgamgoo wrote:

OT.
Many other online stores are still open, or like TTcombat, reopening. I wonder how long till GW online is running again.


TTC and a lot of smaller firms can sometimes spread out production because its resin casting so slower. Thus the whole production and packing side can be downsized. I suspect one issue GW has is that their plastic machines are designed to churn out models very fast, which then requires more pickers to pick and pack. Trying to downsize the latter half might not merge well with machinery and a production system designed to shift large volumes. Plus GW might feel that even if they re-opened the factory on limited staff they'd never be able to get things back in stock in a timely fashion.

Plus the UK postal network is snarled up. Whilst post is still getting through its being delayed and its overloaded. A mix of lower staff and people buying like its a prolonged Christmas.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: