Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
Times and dates in your local timezone.
Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Recently I've come across a few games that surprised me with how much I liked them. I decided to put up this thread to see if this happens to other people and if so they'd recommend theese surprises. Currently the game market is a bit flooded and a lot flows under the radar. I'll start with one and hope other people will contribute with games that surprised them with how good they where.
Eastshade. This I had never heard about before I played it. It's a first person painting game. The game drops you in a very pretty world full of fable animals and gives you the ability to paint things. Two resources are required to paint something, a canvas and inspiration. Canvases are made by finding wood and cloth scattered in the world. Inspiration is gained by finishing quests, exploring new places, reading books and generally trying new things. drinking a tea can provide inspiration the first time you drink it, for example. You need to be carefull not to waste your inspiration and you canvases. The painting itself is pretty much just a stylish picture of something in the game. Very early I found a character that was sad about a shipwreck. I went to paint the ship and the character was very happy to have the scene in painting as a memory, without her giving me a quest to do so. This gave me some in game currency as a reward, and set the tone for how I needed to approach the game. Most of the game is quests of people asking you to paint specific objects or too look for certain rare things to paint for them. It's quite simple and has a childrens fairytale vibe to it. I don't want to call it a walking simulator because I feel like it's really not. I played through the enitire thing and was left thinking it'd been a while since I enjoyed a game so much. I'll end with a screenshot of the game where the painting mechanic is included.
This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/07/31 10:07:13
His pattern of returning alive after being declared dead occurred often enough during Cain's career that the Munitorum made a special ruling that Ciaphas Cain is to never be considered dead, despite evidence to the contrary.
If' d give such a hidden gem , i'd say Verdun.
It is a WW1 shooter, surprise, and not to everyones liking because it is damn hard, but, if you gotten into it it offers a surprising ammount of content, great teamplay and in general alot of charachter for a small price
There's a lot of stuff out there that can fall into guilty pleasure, hidden gem or under the radar territory.
On my mind right now is Brigador, a isometric mecha-game that was dead on arrival due to not being the game it advertised to be. The following review pretty much nails it for me:
TLDW: Rich lore, great soundtrack, awesome graphics and giving off some great Raptor vibes; Everything can be destroyed and every thing that you destroy nets you cash, which you can spend on more mechs, pilots, missions or lore.
There's a game I had never heard about before that was just released to Steam 1-2 months ago and now it's in my top 10 games of all time: Persona 4 Golden.
I'm a PC gamer, first and foremost. 98% of my lifetime gaming has been on PC, with the remaining 2% on Nintendo platforms. I had never heard of the Persona series, although I had known of the developer, Atlus. About two months ago, headlines on various gaming sites announced the surprise release of P4G for Steam. The headlines mentioned how it was one of the best PS2 games ever, and that it's the only reason people still own a PS Vita today. I noticed the Steam reviews were "Overwhelmingly Positive" and thought, for $20, I'll try it. I don't watch anime and I don't really play many JRPGs, but I absolutely adore this game and I'm on my second playthrough.
In closing, Yukiko is best girl.
"Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds: Fire, walk with me." - Twin Peaks
"You listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you Sheriff Truman." - Twin Peaks