Switch Theme:

Battlescribe Gone ?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Been Around the Block




Love Battlescribe.
Will you revert to pen and paper ? It's the 21st century , don't make me write stuff down
GW's app will probably disappoint.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





keithandor wrote:
Love Battlescribe.
Will you revert to pen and paper ? It's the 21st century , don't make me write stuff down
GW's app will probably disappoint.


GW's app allready disapointed

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in au
Dakka Veteran




BattleScribe still exists - just the 40k data has gone.

GW's app has proven itself to be rubbish. They are clearly chasing profits, however this is only going to hurt their player base.
   
Made in lt
Longtime Dakkanaut






How is it gone?

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

I never stopped using PnP, so....

And if BS is gone? Oh well, it would never load right on my phone. So I wasn't using it anyways.

As for GWs app? I have PnP & better things to do with $5/month.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 CragHack wrote:
How is it gone?




a poor quality appp that was expensive and DMCAs against better fan made alternatives :( about what I expected when the app was announced

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in it
Longtime Dakkanaut





I think that it was already confirmed that this was a troll, so just lock this post before someone else baits to it.
   
Made in dk
Grisly Ghost Ark Driver






It's just a joke and it coincided with some kind of random maintenance thing, it'll be back soon.
   
Made in de
[DCM]
Aspirant Tech-Adept






 vict0988 wrote:
It's just a joke and it coincided with some kind of random maintenance thing, it'll be back soon.


Exactly.
The data is randomly unavailable at times to to legacy backend system. Happens especially after we push a release.
The data is there, will be there and if it disappeared, it will be back anytime between 2 seconds and the heatdeath of the universe.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 08:14:32


Data author of DA/AdM on Battlescribe
Report bugs here:
https://github.com/BSData/wh40k/issues 
   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

Fairly pointless FB post if it is fake. Idiots gotta idiot I guess.

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in gb
Sadistic Inquisitorial Excruciator




As long as the Epic data remains, I don't mind.

Even then, Epic is much easier to Pen & Paper than 40k, I can't believe how much easier it is to use a proper army list system than the GW shotgun approch.

Disclaimer - I am a Games Workshop Shareholder. 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine






BrianDavion wrote:
 CragHack wrote:
How is it gone?




a poor quality appp that was expensive and DMCAs against better fan made alternatives :( about what I expected when the app was announced


The rules are their property...
   
Made in gb
Sadistic Inquisitorial Excruciator




I am not a legal expert, but I am not sure to the degree that one can claim the 'rules' on how to play a game are copywritable property.

Words, symbols, settings, backgrounds, models, definately. Rules is a much greyer area.

Disclaimer - I am a Games Workshop Shareholder. 
   
Made in dk
Grisly Ghost Ark Driver






AdmiralHalsey wrote:
I am not a legal expert, but I am not sure to the degree that one can claim the 'rules' on how to play a game are copywritable property.

Words, symbols, settings, backgrounds, models, definately. Rules is a much greyer area.

Battlescribe calls Space Marines Space Marines and not Cyba Soldyas, I don't think it's actually grey and I think it would be fair to shut down Battlescribe's 40k files once the new app is 99,9% finished and not 30% finished. Right now Battlescribe is providing a service for GW free of charge.
   
Made in gb
Sadistic Inquisitorial Excruciator




 vict0988 wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote:
I am not a legal expert, but I am not sure to the degree that one can claim the 'rules' on how to play a game are copywritable property.

Words, symbols, settings, backgrounds, models, definately. Rules is a much greyer area.

Battlescribe calls Space Marines Space Marines and not Cyba Soldyas, I don't think it's actually grey and I think it would be fair to shut down Battlescribe's 40k files once the new app is 99,9% finished and not 30% finished. Right now Battlescribe is providing a service for GW free of charge.


I should stress I am not talking about the 'stats' for any given unit, I am talking about the 'rules of the game', which is what the poster above referenced.

Disclaimer - I am a Games Workshop Shareholder. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Also, battlescribe cannot be sued or stopped by GW in any way legally atm.


The creators do not put the rules up. User's manually load the files up and other users are free to download them as they wish.

Its a peer to peer thing.

They do not profit from GW rules or publications, only from being an open end app that their users can access.

JOIN MY CRUSADE and gain 4000 RT points!
http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG 
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

BattleScribe can not, but Github can be sued for letting people upload protected data

if Github gets a letter to remove stuff because the code or data used in the code is violating someones IP, they need to follow it

yet someone said that there was not letter from GW at all but this is just a joke from the devs because the 40k download server is broken again (which happens once every day)

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in de
[DCM]
Aspirant Tech-Adept






 Eihnlazer wrote:
Also, battlescribe cannot be sued or stopped by GW in any way legally atm.


The creators do not put the rules up. User's manually load the files up and other users are free to download them as they wish.

Its a peer to peer thing.

They do not profit from GW rules or publications, only from being an open end app that their users can access.


And thats why they legally cant, but in reality can.
Volunteers are not going to fight a costly legal battle to be able to provide a volunteered service.
I personally think this release title was a massive troll of epic proportions, but went WAY to far.

Again, THIS WAS A TROLL.
GW has in no way, shape or form contacted anyone related to BS for the past 9 years that I am aware off after the initial shutdown.

Data author of DA/AdM on Battlescribe
Report bugs here:
https://github.com/BSData/wh40k/issues 
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Chaos Sorcerer




Tampa, FL

I hope it's a troll. I still can't even run the 40k app on my phone since it was designed so terribly.

If they are trolling they probably should say that since people are up in arms over it. Especially since that's exactly what people think GW would do.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/09/18 11:09:32


- Wayne
Formerly WayneTheGame 
   
Made in de
[DCM]
Aspirant Tech-Adept






A new release title is already out.

Data author of DA/AdM on Battlescribe
Report bugs here:
https://github.com/BSData/wh40k/issues 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut




[Thumb - Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 13.44.51.png]

   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 kodos wrote:
BattleScribe can not, but Github can be sued for letting people upload protected data


I would pay to see GW attempt to sue Microsoft

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Jidmah wrote:

I would pay to see GW attempt to sue Microsoft


Especially as US federal law is squarely on the side of platforms not being liable for user content.
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

thing is, Microsoft reacts to that like Google, if a company has a Copyright claim to anything on their hosting sites, they remove it without asking questions no matter how valid it is
there is also the chance that they remove the account from the persons as well and ban them

even with the US Federal law might be that the platforms are not being liable, the big ones act quick if needed

GW just need to kindly ask them to remove it

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






Removing stuff from git is not a trivial task, and deleting an entire repository full of stuff not something Microsoft would want to set a precedent for. It would pretty much impact all software developers all over the world.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





AdmiralHalsey wrote:
I am not a legal expert, but I am not sure to the degree that one can claim the 'rules' on how to play a game are copywritable property.

Words, symbols, settings, backgrounds, models, definately. Rules is a much greyer area.

How is it 'grey area'?

I wish people stopped saying stuff they obviously aren't qualified in. It's black and white area, rules are protected just as much as any other intellectual output. It doesn't matter if it is a story, an artwork, or rules, it's all the same. Hell, in my IP training, we were given an example of phone book - individual entries aren't protected, but a way of sorting or presentation (or any other loosely defined intellectual input) definitely is and if you can show someone copied your work, they can be sued, no question.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut






BTW - does anyone know if there are codex files for the 5th edition 40K codexes on Battlescribe? It seems to have 7th and 8th and 9th, but nothing earlier.

   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

 Jidmah wrote:
Removing stuff from git is not a trivial task, and deleting an entire repository full of stuff not something Microsoft would want to set a precedent for. It would pretty much impact all software developers all over the world.

it already happend several times?

companies submit a DCMA request if the think someone used their code or for other reasons and GitHub reacts by taking it down
for BattleScribe, torrent sharing Apps or Streaming App who do not host anything on their own but make it easier to share streams were taken down in the past as well as the repository hosting the data for for the streams

there is a reason why you need to use the appropriate license for code on github

the reason the BS 40k files are not touched by GW is because they don't want to act against it at the moment

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in de
[DCM]
Aspirant Tech-Adept






Lets hope this doesnt change because of this ......... action.

Data author of DA/AdM on Battlescribe
Report bugs here:
https://github.com/BSData/wh40k/issues 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Jidmah wrote:
Removing stuff from git is not a trivial task, and deleting an entire repository full of stuff not something Microsoft would want to set a precedent for. It would pretty much impact all software developers all over the world.

Funny you mention that, because someone broke Internet doing just this. Five years ago

https://qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code/

 kodos wrote:
thing is, Microsoft reacts to that like Google, if a company has a Copyright claim to anything on their hosting sites, they remove it without asking questions no matter how valid it is
there is also the chance that they remove the account from the persons as well and ban them

even with the US Federal law might be that the platforms are not being liable, the big ones act quick if needed

Um, Sterling is completely wrong here. The platforms are not liable IF they have automated systems that instantly react to any IP claim and promptly remove any claimed content as soon as anyone asks. All thanks to lobbying of big parasite platforms like Google, Facebook, etc, etc, that get to profit billions serving ads on stolen content, but officially not profiting off the stolen goods themselves - the claim system is the "compromise" they gave for being able to continue business as usual. Capitalism just rigs the game for big players, grandma can be sued for 1 mln $ for downloading a single mp3, but a corporation that just pocketed 1 bln $ off the back of stolen content is untouchable.

Funnily enough, when EU moved to regulate this, said parasite corporations flooded the internet with 'EU bans memes' propaganda - and naive idiots who never bothered to read what the law is doing, exactly, bought this and started protesting law affecting poor trillion dollar business just because evul EU will take away their lolcats (which, for the record, is BS).
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: