Switch Theme:

Crusade 9th eddition.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






Who plans on playing crusade this edition?
I've looked at the rules for it last night and it is pretty neat for a local campaign. Some of these relics are hilarious! Vortex grenade is back!

I'm wondering how many games it will take to upgrade units and what the ideal points level to start at is? Maybe set some limits on how many points can be put into upping your armies power level weekly? Also wondering what peoples thoughts are on rolling for or choosing battle honors upgrades?

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




You start with a 50PL OOB, which leads to the logical starting point of 50PL games (or slightly higher, there's a lot of play for mismatched games with Crusade as different people spend RPs in different ways).

Each game you play nets you 1 RP. If you win a game, you'll get additional things with which you can improve your force. But keep in mind that the size of your OOB is not the size of the games you have to play. You can still decide you want to do a 50 or a 25 PL game, even if your OOB has reached 200PL.
   
Made in ca
Aspirant Tech-Adept






 Xenomancers wrote:
Who plans on playing crusade this edition?
I've looked at the rules for it last night and it is pretty neat for a local campaign. Some of these relics are hilarious! Vortex grenade is back!

I'm wondering how many games it will take to upgrade units and what the ideal points level to start at is? Maybe set some limits on how many points can be put into upping your armies power level weekly? Also wondering what peoples thoughts are on rolling for or choosing battle honors upgrades?


Ive been planning on playing some, as do most people i play with at my store, sadly it hasnt materialized itself yet and i have a feeling that it might not happen.
It could very well be because people are still learning 9th and don't want to dive in a gamemode with more rules just yet.

Admech 5000
Drukhari 4000
2500
500
Imperial knights 1200

 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

I'm looking forward to it, when things normalise a little bit.

Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Me and my son have been playing with the crusade rules and enjoying them. Adds a nice bit of engagement with your army as it gets XP and grows.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 13K+ Slowly growing 3Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities

Competition Index 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Crusade is great, but its different. Its not a league or a campaign like before.

Each army is its own crusade. Who you play doesnt matter at all. Heck, even winning the games isnt overly important.

It's about making a story for your own guys, and making cool pimped out characters.

You wont get alot out of crusade by Min-Maxing, cause the games wont really be fun.




I'll give an example; my custodes crusade list has only won 2 out of the 6 games they have been in, but they have completed their agenda every game.

They are advancing nicely, and have some fun stories.

Game one my bike captain was brought down to 3 wounds, but survived since that was his agenda. He lost his arm in that battle, and so when he got back home was gifted with an aercheotech bionic arm replacement, giving his spear arm extra strength and extra resilience (5+++).

Im litterally giving my guys their rank up bonus's based on what happend in the games.




Also, since it works based on the army itself, you can litterally go to any store, or on TTS and use your same crusade force.

JOIN MY CRUSADE and gain 4000 RT points!
http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I cannot wait to play Crusade.

Have to build my Marine force first though.

   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






Eagerly awaiting to try it, though given that DG is getting a new codex soon with implied Crusade specific stuff in it, I'll keep playing other games in the meantime.

Might have to create a personalised roster system for it first, though.

#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





I'm really, really excited, and I would love to play, but it seems like you need your army's codex to really get the depth I want out of it.

I'm holding off for that, and luckily I have space marines and necrons, but it seems a lot of factions won't get full crusade rules until they get their codex, which could be over a year from now.

I hope they release something similar for AoS with the next edition (no not Path to Glory which kinda sucks).
   
Made in us
Stalwart Space Marine




South Carolina, USA

Crusade is already a barrel of fun if you have a regular group to play with. When codexes include bonus Crusade rules for an army it'll only get better.

The only downside right now is that PL's have been revamped based on the new codexes, which has led to some really weird PL disparities. Our solution was to stick with 8th edition codex PL's and just roll with that until everyone has a 9th edition codex.

Squats 2020! 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Sherrypie wrote:
Eagerly awaiting to try it, though given that DG is getting a new codex soon with implied Crusade specific stuff in it, I'll keep playing other games in the meantime.

Might have to create a personalised roster system for it first, though.
You can always just requisition more troops.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 dadx6 wrote:
Crusade is already a barrel of fun if you have a regular group to play with. When codexes include bonus Crusade rules for an army it'll only get better.

The only downside right now is that PL's have been revamped based on the new codexes, which has led to some really weird PL disparities. Our solution was to stick with 8th edition codex PL's and just roll with that until everyone has a 9th edition codex.

Thanks for pointing that out. We have just decided in my group to use points instead of PL by assigning power lvl a points value where possible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 20:25:30


If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




You realize they did an across the board PL update a month ago right?
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






Sterling191 wrote:
You start with a 50PL OOB, which leads to the logical starting point of 50PL games (or slightly higher, there's a lot of play for mismatched games with Crusade as different people spend RPs in different ways).

Each game you play nets you 1 RP. If you win a game, you'll get additional things with which you can improve your force. But keep in mind that the size of your OOB is not the size of the games you have to play. You can still decide you want to do a 50 or a 25 PL game, even if your OOB has reached 200PL.

We were toying around with the idea of just picking a point level to play at and not using the (ad points to your army - RP ability) It seems like it would be the default way to spend your first 20 + RP and that just seems like grind for nothing. Kind of like in LOL when you have to grind to get lvl 30 on a champ before you can ranked with it or in WOW with lvling. We were thinking about just skipping that. What do you think?

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Xenomancers wrote:

We were toying around with the idea of just picking a point level to play at and not using the (ad points to your army - RP ability) It seems like it would be the default way to spend your first 20 + RP and that just seems like grind for nothing. Kind of like in LOL when you have to grind to get lvl 30 on a champ before you can ranked with it or in WOW with lvling. We were thinking about just skipping that. What do you think?


Growing your army across the course of a campaign is part of the schtic. If you decide to bypass that, that's your choice. But it takes one of the major narrative components out and locks people into a single list for an entire (possibly endless) campaign.

And no, it's not going to be the first 20 RP people spend. I guarantee that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 20:36:40


 
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






Sterling191 wrote:
 Xenomancers wrote:

We were toying around with the idea of just picking a point level to play at and not using the (ad points to your army - RP ability) It seems like it would be the default way to spend your first 20 + RP and that just seems like grind for nothing. Kind of like in LOL when you have to grind to get lvl 30 on a champ before you can ranked with it or in WOW with lvling. We were thinking about just skipping that. What do you think?


Growing your army across the course of a campaign is part of the schtic. If you decide to bypass that, that's your choice. But it takes one of the major narrative components out and locks people into a single list for an entire (possibly endless) campaign.

And no, it's not going to be the first 20 RP people spend. I guarantee that.

Okay that was my fear that it was a grind concept. If other spending is competitive with it - it could be worth leaving it as is.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Xenomancers wrote:
 Sherrypie wrote:
Eagerly awaiting to try it, though given that DG is getting a new codex soon with implied Crusade specific stuff in it, I'll keep playing other games in the meantime.

Might have to create a personalised roster system for it first, though.
You can always just requisition more troops.



I don't care about that. I care about possible battle honours, objectives, relics, tailored missions and such narrative hooks. If the book drops soon anyway, I might as well wait a bit and see if it provides long term ideas on how to approach my guys' story.

#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 dadx6 wrote:
Crusade is already a barrel of fun if you have a regular group to play with. When codexes include bonus Crusade rules for an army it'll only get better.

The only downside right now is that PL's have been revamped based on the new codexes, which has led to some really weird PL disparities. Our solution was to stick with 8th edition codex PL's and just roll with that until everyone has a 9th edition codex.


Uuh they have been revamped to fit with 9e field manual points. Get back to fit points now rather than 3 years ago.
Codexes will have new pl's depending on how points change


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Xenomancers wrote:
 Sherrypie wrote:
Eagerly awaiting to try it, though given that DG is getting a new codex soon with implied Crusade specific stuff in it, I'll keep playing other games in the meantime.

Might have to create a personalised roster system for it first, though.
You can always just requisition more troops.


For what purpose though? Bigger sideboard. But it's not like you will field 100pl to opponents 50pl

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 22:19:07


12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I've been loving Crusade. It might be my new favorite version of 40k. Having a bit of a framework to hang story beats around is really satisfying.

It does feel like something that could be polished a little though. Right now, there isn't a ton of stuff to spend RP on, especially since most of my craftworlders' warlord traits and relics aren't worth raising their Crusade Points over. I've spent a few points on adding to my Order of Battle, but I'm reluctant to use my new units because all my old units either just got a shiny new powerup that I want to play with or else are part way to ranking up and I want to push them over the edge.

Sort of seems like my main incentive for fielding new units is going to be keeping my crusade points low if the level ups stop being worth the bonus CP they give to my opponent. I'd love to have more of a sideboard mechanic or a chance for units to suffer light injuries that prevent them from participating in the next battle. Just something to encourage me to cycle through my roster more rather than sticking with the same set of units.

Overall, having a blast. Can't wait to see what the codex Crusade content looks like.
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




I don't greatly care for the advancement stuff, I just like Crusade missions, mainly because I don't like the new matched play missions.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





I really enjoyed the advancement of Necromunda, but we don't have many people playing that around here. Crusade seems to fill that niche in a really interesting way. I'm looking forward to it.

   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: