Switch Theme:

Can you have Primaris and Firstborn space marines in the same detachment?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ie
Disbeliever of the Greater Good




Co.Mayo, Ireland

Sorry a bit of a noob question. Just starting 40k and I have a few firstborn marines and but hoping to possibly buy newer models. Is it possible to mix between firstborns and primaries in a detachment or would I be needing extra detachments for each?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/12 21:05:14


 
   
Made in ca
Revving Ravenwing Biker



Canada

 farshite wrote:
Sorry a bit of a noob question. Just starting 40k and I have a few firstborn marines and but hoping to possibly buy newer models. Is it possible to mix between firstborns and primaries in a detachment or would I be needing extra detachments for each?


No issues mixing Primaris and firstborn in the same Detachment. What you cannot mix in a Detachment is different Chapters.

ps - Welcome aboard!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/12 21:07:06


All you have to do is fire three rounds a minute, and stand 
   
Made in ie
Disbeliever of the Greater Good




Co.Mayo, Ireland

Okay thank you so much. Just new to 40k since lockdown.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





primaris and firstborn can be mixed and it's absolutely the norm.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

TangoTwoBravo wrote:
 farshite wrote:
Sorry a bit of a noob question. Just starting 40k and I have a few firstborn marines and but hoping to possibly buy newer models. Is it possible to mix between firstborns and primaries in a detachment or would I be needing extra detachments for each?


No issues mixing Primaris and firstborn in the same Detachment. What you cannot mix in a Detachment is different Chapters.


No, you can do that*. Its not worth doing so rules wise, but it can be done.
(*Unless I've missed something in the new codex....)
   
Made in ca
Revving Ravenwing Biker



Canada

 farshite wrote:
Okay thank you so much. Just new to 40k since lockdown.


Its a great time to start!

Aim for a Patrol Detachment at first: one HQ, one Troops and a couple of units that catch your eye (a Dreadnought, vehicle, etc). So you could have a Primaris Captain (HQ), an Intercessor Squad (Troops), a Terminator Squad (Elites), a Land Speeder Tornado (Fast Attack) and a Devastator Squad all in the same Patrol. I'm not saying that this list would be effective, just showing that you can mix.

Play a few games with different Chapters before committing to a paint job, or paint them in your own scheme and be flexible.

Or follow your instincts and pick Dark Angels!




Automatically Appended Next Post:
ccs wrote:
TangoTwoBravo wrote:
 farshite wrote:
Sorry a bit of a noob question. Just starting 40k and I have a few firstborn marines and but hoping to possibly buy newer models. Is it possible to mix between firstborns and primaries in a detachment or would I be needing extra detachments for each?


No issues mixing Primaris and firstborn in the same Detachment. What you cannot mix in a Detachment is different Chapters.


No, you can do that*. Its not worth doing so rules wise, but it can be done.
(*Unless I've missed something in the new codex....)


I suppose you could mix Chapters, but you'd lose Chapter Tactics and Doctrines.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/12 21:48:33


All you have to do is fire three rounds a minute, and stand 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

Depends exactly how you want to play, really! If you want to do open or narrative play and you're really not fussed about all the extra bonuses an army can get, then you can use literally whatever units you like whatsoever.
I'd argue that this is a good way to learn the game anyway, before delving into the more complicated stuff. I can see not wanting to buy things that you might not want to use later, though.

When you're ready for it - for the army to be Battle-Forged (and take advantage of Command Points and Stratagems), you only need the units in the detachment to share a particular keyword - and for that keyword to be something other than Imperium or Chaos. For Space Marines, "Adeptus Astartes" fits this bill quite nicely.

However, there are Chapter-specific rules (for example, Chapter Tactics, Relics and Warlord Traits) that you can only use if the entire detachment has the same Chapter keyword.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/12 22:08:00


"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in de
Witch Hunter in the Shadows



Aachen

Yeah,while the above is technically correct, you should stick to one chapter of space marines for starters. But mixing primaris and firstborn is completely fine and done frequently.
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





You can mix Primaris and Firstborn in a detachment, you can’t mix them in a transport. Firstborn transports can only transport firstborn marines. Primaris transports can only transport Primaris marines. This includes characters.

So the lowly reserve company Primaris marine driving the Repulsor refuses to allow first born heroes of the chapter to board. “Look I don’t care if you are Supreme Grand Master Azrael. You’re not allowed inside.”.


My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in ie
Disbeliever of the Greater Good




Co.Mayo, Ireland

Thanks for the advice. I’m not too concerned about having an effective or efficient army yet. Just one to have some fun with.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 farshite wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I’m not too concerned about having an effective or efficient army yet. Just one to have some fun with.


yeah be warned about seeking dakkadakka advice, some people here are a bit... overly focused on optimization before you know iut they'll be suggesting you prep for a tourny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 07:22:25


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

Breton wrote:
So the lowly reserve company Primaris marine driving the Repulsor refuses to allow first born heroes of the chapter to board. “Look I don’t care if you are Supreme Grand Master Azrael. You’re not allowed inside.”

That's seatbelt regs for ya - no exceptions

"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 Super Ready wrote:
Breton wrote:
So the lowly reserve company Primaris marine driving the Repulsor refuses to allow first born heroes of the chapter to board. “Look I don’t care if you are Supreme Grand Master Azrael. You’re not allowed inside.”

That's seatbelt regs for ya - no exceptions


Well at least it explains why the DA don't like Primaris. Geneseed talks, and Chapter Masters walk.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Breton wrote:
 Super Ready wrote:
Breton wrote:
So the lowly reserve company Primaris marine driving the Repulsor refuses to allow first born heroes of the chapter to board. “Look I don’t care if you are Supreme Grand Master Azrael. You’re not allowed inside.”

That's seatbelt regs for ya - no exceptions


Well at least it explains why the DA don't like Primaris. Geneseed talks, and Chapter Masters walk.


dark angels have no issue with Primaris per say, rather the issue is with the former grey shields.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




BrianDavion wrote:
 farshite wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I’m not too concerned about having an effective or efficient army yet. Just one to have some fun with.


yeah be warned about seeking dakkadakka advice, some people here are a bit... overly focused on optimization before you know iut they'll be suggesting you prep for a tourny


Just like in sports it is better to be over optimised, then to be under optimised. Specialy if someone doesn't have unlimited time and funds to create an army.
So it is better to be told, that 15 scouts and 5 boxs of centurions are probably not the best way to start a marines battalion right now, before some buys them, then be told the same after you buy them.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: