Switch Theme:

Why Are Primaris Allergic to Jump Packs?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






As a long time Blood Angels lover I’d love to see more jump packs accessible by Primaris units. Don’t get me wrong, Primaris have had an insane amount of unit releases now so I don’t necessarily want yet another release. But it’s a bit of a shame that none of the releases included assault units with jump packs, or really anything on jump packs besides Inceptors from the beginning and Suppressors who aren’t accessible outside of a box set that isn’t sold anymore.

I was quite surprised they haven’t done Inceptors with thunder hammers or assault marines in the gear the Ravenguard character is in. Even a generic character in one.

What do you guys think? Are jump packs too sparse or is it a good thing there’s so little of them?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 05:17:45


 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





That is one of the last things left they're going to need to make if they're going to "squat" Old Marines.

They need Aircraft, they need Jump Fight Marines (or an upgrade Sprue for Assault Intercessors with a datasheet for FA and Elites) a Vindicator style vehicle (for the eventual return of ORDNANCE type rules, and a Whirlwind vehicle (or upgrade to the missile Impulsor with (potential zero transport plus Ordnance and Indirect Fire

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Because Cawl has a (sadly) not terminal case of NIH Syndrome.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/13 05:32:39


Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++List of documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 9th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities || Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. || Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






Because they're bigger they're too heavy to use them.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in fi
Hoary Long Fang with Lascannon




Finland

 Insectum7 wrote:
Because they're bigger they're too heavy to use them.


Oh yes, you can propel Thunderhawks through the atmosphere and Battle Barges through the Warp but a Primaris Marine is too heavy to budge.

7000+
3500
2000 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Their cheaply tinkered geneseed is allergic to the fuel of the mighty jetpack showing once again that primaris are inferior rubbish

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 06:15:47


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






Just imagine if they had given Eradicators the Inceptor jump packs.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 AduroT wrote:
Just imagine if they had given Eradicators the Inceptor jump packs.


that would have been aweful. those flight stands are the devil

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Not Online!!! wrote:
i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.


I'd rather put together an entire chapters worth of drop pods then have to deal with those flight stands. at least once the drop pod comes together it's solid. I can proably throw my drop pod agaisnt the wall without breakage. the new flight stands are flimsy as HELL

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





Not Online!!! wrote:
i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.


I'm trying to figure out why they never implemented phase II of that plan and started selling replacements for broken flight stands at 10 bucks per 3 pack.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.
As a fellow Blood Angels player, I have to admit that a jump pack unit with actual melee weapons would be nice - the Inceptors' "dual big pistols" thing doesn't really fit the theme for me. Buuuuut, given all the perfectly valid uproar about the number of Primaris releases I'm more than happy to wait until Xenos have had a fair crack of the release whip.

"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 Super Ready wrote:
I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.
As a fellow Blood Angels player, I have to admit that a jump pack unit with actual melee weapons would be nice - the Inceptors' "dual big pistols" thing doesn't really fit the theme for me. Buuuuut, given all the perfectly valid uproar about the number of Primaris releases I'm more than happy to wait until Xenos have had a fair crack of the release whip.


That's because they weren't very good. The upgrade to Heavy 3 makes them a little better.

They lost 1AP, got one more shot, lost smoke launchers but gained smokescreen, went up a few points (but everything did) and their suppresive fire went from destroy to hit, so they improved quite a bit compared to what they were.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 08:41:22


My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot





Luton, England

It's likely that its just a design space they are waiting to fill. Similar to the Sigmarine roll out, they do the different styles of marine in waves, phobos/gravis/bikes etc..

I'd like to believe that they deliberately haven't done jump pack primaris to reduce the mobility of their infantry and thus reinforce the playstyle of the army as solid midtable elite fighters and not make primaris litteraly the best at everything.

30,000pts
12,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts 
   
Made in us
Kovnik





washington state USA

BrianDavion wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
Just imagine if they had given Eradicators the Inceptor jump packs.


that would have been aweful. those flight stands are the devil


That's why you use these





 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 WisdomLS wrote:
It's likely that its just a design space they are waiting to fill. Similar to the Sigmarine roll out, they do the different styles of marine in waves, phobos/gravis/bikes etc..

I'd like to believe that they deliberately haven't done jump pack primaris to reduce the mobility of their infantry and thus reinforce the playstyle of the army as solid midtable elite fighters and not make primaris litteraly the best at everything.



Could be, GW's been pretty careful not to make any firstborn unit obselete, trying to eaither fill new niches or make primaris units sidegrades. I imagine making a "side grade assault marine" that's not completely useless is a tricky challange

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

 Tiberius501 wrote:
Suppressors who aren’t accessible outside of a box set that isn’t sold anymore.

Suppressors are available in the Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines box.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Anyway, Primaris need a Vanguard Veteran style squad rather than Reivers & Assault Intercessors.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 09:34:23


 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

Breton wrote:
That's because they weren't very good. The upgrade to Heavy 3 makes them a little better.
They lost 1AP, got one more shot, lost smoke launchers but gained smokescreen, went up a few points (but everything did) and their suppresive fire went from destroy to hit, so they improved quite a bit compared to what they were.

Oh, I've got no qualms on their effectiveness (well, not now, anyway). It's just that they don't feel very Blood-Angelsy to me, which is enough for me not to take them.
Same with Redemptor Dreads, I just can't reconcile Marines being comfortable with purposely burning out an honoured hero that was valuable enough to be put in a sarcophagus to begin with.

"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






It’s a well known secret that Primaris all have faulty Shatner’s Bassoons, which affects their balance and depth perception when not firmly on the ground.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






 aphyon wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
Just imagine if they had given Eradicators the Inceptor jump packs.


that would have been aweful. those flight stands are the devil


That's why you use these






I’ve replaced all my stands with chopped up brass rings myself, though I’d be interested to know what company makes those. Can’t make it out on the image.

 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Stamp says Figure Painter.com


Automatically Appended Next Post:

https://figurepainters.com/#!/Assault-Rocket-Pack-Smoke-Trails-5/p/121952408/category=30148028

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/13 12:42:55


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






 Weazel wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
Because they're bigger they're too heavy to use them.


Oh yes, you can propel Thunderhawks through the atmosphere and Battle Barges through the Warp but a Primaris Marine is too heavy to budge.
Do Thunderhawks fly via Jump Pack? Obviously not!

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Using Object Source Lighting





Portland

@OP, primaris has like more types of foot infantry melee and ranged options than most factions already, they have a ton of characters, they have multiple types of heavy infantry, they got an entire scout subfaction, they have multiple walkers and more tanks, they have more characters than you can shake a stick at, they just had three bike types come out, they've already had three good deal monopose starter kits in four years... and you're complaining because of the "shame" of only having two jump infantry units to choose from? or is it that their only ways of themed air assault is from multiple grav vehicles and assault infantry with grav chutes? or maybe that their recent assault-oriented starter half wasn't fast enough, between its bikes, assault infantry, and elite melee infantry?


My painted armies (40k, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity...) 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

There's almost too many types of Primaris, although from a business stand-point, it's smart not to leave all that money on the table when people are clamoring* for more space marine gash.

*Money talks, and clearly it is screaming 'shut up and take me!'

   
Made in us
Member of the Malleus





On a slightly related note doesn't it feel like the Primaris are lacking in the CC-department? I know they have more modelling kits then necessary but apart from the Reivers and heroes there's no dedicated CC squad is there? I find this very strange. Almost as if GW made the decision that fighting with chainsaw swords is a sub-optimal form of warfare

His pattern of returning alive after being declared dead occurred often enough during Cain's career that the Munitorum made a special ruling that Ciaphas Cain is to never be considered dead, despite evidence to the contrary. 
   
Made in au
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






 spiralingcadaver wrote:
@OP, primaris has like more types of foot infantry melee and ranged options than most factions already, they have a ton of characters, they have multiple types of heavy infantry, they got an entire scout subfaction, they have multiple walkers and more tanks, they have more characters than you can shake a stick at, they just had three bike types come out, they've already had three good deal monopose starter kits in four years... and you're complaining because of the "shame" of only having two jump infantry units to choose from? or is it that their only ways of themed air assault is from multiple grav vehicles and assault infantry with grav chutes? or maybe that their recent assault-oriented starter half wasn't fast enough, between its bikes, assault infantry, and elite melee infantry?


As I said in my post, Primaris have had too many releases so I’m not saying they should get more. I was mainly just saying it’s a shame there’s no real jump pack assault units for them/ that all these releases haven’t done any instead of the other random units that kinda do the same job as something else but not.

I’m very glad there are a million and one options for Primaris, there’s an overwhelming amount of choice here. But there’s just a lack of jump pack options for these units, is all I’m saying.

I wouldn’t wish Eradicators getting jump packs though, god that would be heinous lol, they’re already disgusting. Bladeguard too, they don’t need jump packs to go with their already insane stats.
   
Made in ca
Aspirant Tech-Adept






 Nerak wrote:
On a slightly related note doesn't it feel like the Primaris are lacking in the CC-department? I know they have more modelling kits then necessary but apart from the Reivers and heroes there's no dedicated CC squad is there? I find this very strange. Almost as if GW made the decision that fighting with chainsaw swords is a sub-optimal form of warfare


What are assault intercessors, bladeguard veterans and outriders?

Admech 5000
Drukhari 4000
2500
500
Imperial knights 1200

 
   
Made in us
Missionary On A Mission





Hanford, CA, AKA The Eye of Terror

Breton wrote:
 Super Ready wrote:
I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.
As a fellow Blood Angels player, I have to admit that a jump pack unit with actual melee weapons would be nice - the Inceptors' "dual big pistols" thing doesn't really fit the theme for me. Buuuuut, given all the perfectly valid uproar about the number of Primaris releases I'm more than happy to wait until Xenos have had a fair crack of the release whip.


That's because they weren't very good. The upgrade to Heavy 3 makes them a little better.

They lost 1AP, got one more shot, lost smoke launchers but gained smokescreen, went up a few points (but everything did) and their suppresive fire went from destroy to hit, so they improved quite a bit compared to what they were.


I feel like there is a "jump" wave out there for their final release, probably a suppressor kit with weapon options and some sort of Melee or close fire support option. Im sure they are holding it until they are midway through next year or so since they are not going to release it all at once.

17,000 points (Valhallan, Cadian, and Vostroyan)
15,000 points
4,000 points (Order of Our Martyred Lady)
Proud Countess of House Terryn hosting 4 Knights, 2 Dominus Knights, and 5 Armigers
Stormcast Eternals: 7,000 points
"Remember, Orks are weak and cowardly, they are easily beat in close combat and their tusks, while menacing, can easily be pulled out with a sharp tug"

-Imperial Guard Uplifting Primer 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Almost all of them have a debilitating fear of heights. It's why they don't do drop pods either.

Also, those clear tubes on the inceptors and suppressors? Those are what are holding them up. They don't actually have jetpacks, they're just on strings basically. Servitors wheel them around.
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos




The deck of the Widower

yukishiro1 wrote:
Almost all of them have a debilitating fear of heights. It's why they don't do drop pods either.

Also, those clear tubes on the inceptors and suppressors? Those are what are holding them up. They don't actually have jetpacks, they're just on strings basically. Servitors wheel them around.



It all makes sense now! The one flaw Cawl couldn't fix.

 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: