Hard going into Custodes regardless if they get nerfed when their 9th book officially drops, i love the models and the fact that i only have to paint like maybe 30? Means i can take my time and feel good instead of staring at a pile of shame. I've been trying to research what 9th Custodes armies look like and they're all SO VARIED (which is great) so i have no idea where to start, so here's my questions and if anyone has reccomendations that'd be great!
1. A lot of their REALLY good sheet seems to come from forgeworld how do the Legio Custodes Sagittarum Guard do? Custodes seem to primary be melee first then shooting, but their shooting ISN'T bad?
2. I wanted to somehow take 3 Armiger Warglaives can i do this? I plan on making 3-4k points worth of Custodes just to mix n max and i really like Warglaies as a model.
3. I also plan on taking some sisters and an inquistor or 2 for Psychic stuff and shooting stuff but i have NO clue about anything Sisters related and have never before fielded an Inquisitor so any help on which ones would just be fantastic?!?
4. I found this link <https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Forgeworld_Custodes_Datasheets-1.pdf> (not even sure this will link properly) but its the Forgeworld list stuff for custodes but someone told me FW
plans on dropping a 9th ed book version?
5. What army do custodes REALLY struggle against? From my understanding its those that can really dish out mortal wounds so if i had to guess Tyranids/1k Suns and Daemons??
6. I loved the big Exectuioner model guy from the Indomitus box set (bald dude with the big sword). Is it LEGAL to kind of kitbash his model with Custodes to make a Shield Captain or would i get called on it? (Rule of Cool and all)
7. Is Valeriann/Trajann worth taking? I know for SPACE MARINEZ making your own Chapter Master and upgrading via points is usually better then just taking a named Chapter Master , does the same hold true for CUSTARD MEN?
8. I was looking at the stats for Wardens and Guard and...why would i ever take Wardens?
9. I will be buying a Telemon, but should i buy a normal Contemptor or 2 as well? That heavy punch looks worth it, but i've only personally played 2 games of 9th as Ad Mech and i just dropped Dreadnought's so idk if its worth it?
Any help with these questions OR give some advice for running Custodes would be great!
1) regular Custodes guard are melee oriented, but the Sagittarum are indeed shooty, and with a misacorda they are still ok in melee. like others have said they are great for holding the rear objectives.
2)you can, same as any other imperial faction, but what do they give you? what do you want them to give you?
3)the sisters of silence are a good anti-psyker option. most go for the boltgun version, which with a strat can shoot thier boltguns as 18" assault 3 weapons. the flamer girls got a bit of a boost with the extra range form the SM
codex changes. both can ignore "look out, sir" rules for pyskers. cant comment on the inquistitors, though.
4) thats the current rules for those models, yes, until the new book drops (its known to be inbound but no date yet. maybe in the new year?). of note though, the points costs have been superceded, i think the current ones are in chapter approved 2020 (or free via Battlescribe).
5) not sure, not got enough play time with mine to really say against all comers.
6) normally? not really, so long as its clear what he is and what hes armed with. Some people can be dicks, but thats always the case.
7) cant comment, dont have him
8) a lot of people ask that as well. really, the only thing they have is the castellen axe (and by extension str
8 melee), but the termies can do that as well. the 6+ FNP
is nice but not really worth it, really.
9) if you mean the plastic dread kits, most dont bother with them, though the multi melta buff has made people take a second look, although most still prefer the Telemon with the Arachnus Storm Cannons for a shooty dread. Generally, people who want a elite slot dread go with the FW
melee ones either the sword and board (with a 3+invunlerable save) or dread-scale guarding spear variant (which is suprisingly shooty for a melee unit).