Switch Theme:

Just need some Custodes 9th help!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Average Orc Boy



Duluth

Hard going into Custodes regardless if they get nerfed when their 9th book officially drops, i love the models and the fact that i only have to paint like maybe 30? Means i can take my time and feel good instead of staring at a pile of shame. I've been trying to research what 9th Custodes armies look like and they're all SO VARIED (which is great) so i have no idea where to start, so here's my questions and if anyone has reccomendations that'd be great!
1. A lot of their REALLY good sheet seems to come from forgeworld how do the Legio Custodes Sagittarum Guard do? Custodes seem to primary be melee first then shooting, but their shooting ISN'T bad?
2. I wanted to somehow take 3 Armiger Warglaives can i do this? I plan on making 3-4k points worth of Custodes just to mix n max and i really like Warglaies as a model.
3. I also plan on taking some sisters and an inquistor or 2 for Psychic stuff and shooting stuff but i have NO clue about anything Sisters related and have never before fielded an Inquisitor so any help on which ones would just be fantastic?!?
4. I found this link <https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Forgeworld_Custodes_Datasheets-1.pdf> (not even sure this will link properly) but its the Forgeworld list stuff for custodes but someone told me FW plans on dropping a 9th ed book version?
5. What army do custodes REALLY struggle against? From my understanding its those that can really dish out mortal wounds so if i had to guess Tyranids/1k Suns and Daemons??
6. I loved the big Exectuioner model guy from the Indomitus box set (bald dude with the big sword). Is it LEGAL to kind of kitbash his model with Custodes to make a Shield Captain or would i get called on it? (Rule of Cool and all)
7. Is Valeriann/Trajann worth taking? I know for SPACE MARINEZ making your own Chapter Master and upgrading via points is usually better then just taking a named Chapter Master , does the same hold true for CUSTARD MEN?
8. I was looking at the stats for Wardens and Guard and...why would i ever take Wardens?
9. I will be buying a Telemon, but should i buy a normal Contemptor or 2 as well? That heavy punch looks worth it, but i've only personally played 2 games of 9th as Ad Mech and i just dropped Dreadnought's so idk if its worth it?

Any help with these questions OR give some advice for running Custodes would be great!
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





Rahdok wrote:

2. I wanted to somehow take 3 Armiger Warglaives can i do this? I plan on making 3-4k points worth of Custodes just to mix n max and i really like Warglaies as a model.
You can do whatever you want and your opponent will agree to, but I think Armiger Warglaives are Imperial Knight units? Unless its a similar name and I'm merging again. That's called "souping" and it usually kills a lot of your special rules and such, rarely worth it. This may not apply to Custodes. Also you're rarely going to find games that kind of point size. Three Warglaives will be about a quarter to a third of your points at the common 2K points size. I'd suggest just making a seperate Imperial Knight Army.

3. I also plan on taking some sisters and an inquistor or 2 for Psychic stuff and shooting stuff but i have NO clue about anything Sisters related and have never before fielded an Inquisitor so any help on which ones would just be fantastic?!?
Sisters of Battle, or Sisters of Silence? The Inquisitor and minions can merge into almost any Imperium army pretty well. Sisters of Silence are designed to work with Custodes and have special rules for it. Sisters of Battle are not and do not.

4. I found this link <https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Forgeworld_Custodes_Datasheets-1.pdf> (not even sure this will link properly) but its the Forgeworld list stuff for custodes but someone told me FW plans on dropping a 9th ed book version?
Forgeworld is indeed coming out with a new book soon. Relatively speaking.

5. What army do custodes REALLY struggle against? From my understanding its those that can really dish out mortal wounds so if i had to guess Tyranids/1k Suns and Daemons??
Mortal Wounds will usually skip your Armor and Invuln save. Hordes will also give you trouble. A natural 1 always fails, and rolling 30 armor saves are going to come up 1 every so often.

6. I loved the big Exectuioner model guy from the Indomitus box set (bald dude with the big sword). Is it LEGAL to kind of kitbash his model with Custodes to make a Shield Captain or would i get called on it? (Rule of Cool and all)
Legal where? According to who? Again for the most part you can do whatever you and your opponents agree to. Few opponents will complain about kitbashing as long as things reasonably match. The more you deviate from the box art, the harder it is to get it in a tournament so check with each TO if you're going to one.

7. Is Valeriann/Trajann worth taking? I know for SPACE MARINEZ making your own Chapter Master and upgrading via points is usually better then just taking a named Chapter Master , does the same hold true for CUSTARD MEN?
8. I was looking at the stats for Wardens and Guard and...why would i ever take Wardens?
The Castellan Axe, and 6+ FNP. May not be worth it I don't know. But that's the difference.

9. I will be buying a Telemon, but should i buy a normal Contemptor or 2 as well? That heavy punch looks worth it, but i've only personally played 2 games of 9th as Ad Mech and i just dropped Dreadnought's so idk if its worth it?

Any help with these questions OR give some advice for running Custodes would be great!

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in us
Average Orc Boy



Duluth

Oh no sorry i polan on building 3-4k points as a TOTAL but running 2k point games. I like to have a bit of buffer to move things around or try different things and with them being an elite army 4k points isnt a whole gak load of models. Like it would be for like Chaos Daemons or Guard
   
Made in us
Tzeentch Doomlord Pilot




Noctis Labyrinthus

Rahdok wrote:

1. A lot of their REALLY good sheet seems to come from forgeworld how do the Legio Custodes Sagittarum Guard do? Custodes seem to primary be melee first then shooting, but their shooting ISN'T bad?


They make decent backline objective holders because they have pretty good shooting. Give them misericordias to enable them to body chaff in melee if need be.

2. I wanted to somehow take 3 Armiger Warglaives can i do this? I plan on making 3-4k points worth of Custodes just to mix n max and i really like Warglaies as a model.


I guess you can and it doesn't break detachment rules to do so, but I'd question why? Custodes already have problems with board control due to a low model count, spending 3 CP to put in a super heavy detachment of Imperial Knights for 155 point models that don't shore up any weaknesses your army has.

3. I also plan on taking some sisters and an inquistor or 2 for Psychic stuff and shooting stuff but i have NO clue about anything Sisters related and have never before fielded an Inquisitor so any help on which ones would just be fantastic?!?


Sisters of Silence, if that's what you meant, can be slotted into Custodes lists seamlessly, as can inquisitors. I've not used inquisitors ever so can't comment on which is best.

4. I found this link <https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Forgeworld_Custodes_Datasheets-1.pdf> (not even sure this will link properly) but its the Forgeworld list stuff for custodes but someone told me FW plans on dropping a 9th ed book version?


They are yeah.

5. What army do custodes REALLY struggle against? From my understanding its those that can really dish out mortal wounds so if i had to guess Tyranids/1k Suns and Daemons??


Nah they do fine against all of those. They struggle with Harlequins who are so incredibly fast that they can dictate the terms of engagement, are deceptively durable, and have the means to chop through your units and can blast your rather durable vehicles apart at range pretty effortlessly with their haywire cannons.

6. I loved the big Exectuioner model guy from the Indomitus box set (bald dude with the big sword). Is it LEGAL to kind of kitbash his model with Custodes to make a Shield Captain or would i get called on it? (Rule of Cool and all)


Most people would be fine with it.

7. Is Valeriann/Trajann worth taking? I know for SPACE MARINEZ making your own Chapter Master and upgrading via points is usually better then just taking a named Chapter Master , does the same hold true for CUSTARD MEN?


Valerian is honestly kind of terrible but Trajan Valoris has some play, mostly to buff a trio of Caladius Grav Tanks to make their shooting even more efficient. Generally I prefer a generic shield captain, particularly on jetbike.

8. I was looking at the stats for Wardens and Guard and...why would i ever take Wardens?


You wouldn't lol.

9. I will be buying a Telemon, but should i buy a normal Contemptor or 2 as well? That heavy punch looks worth it, but i've only personally played 2 games of 9th as Ad Mech and i just dropped Dreadnought's so idk if its worth it?


I wouldn't, but mostly because I find it boring compared to their more specialist dreads like the telemon, achillus, or galatus.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/18 09:34:17


 
   
Made in gb
Pewling Menial




Bath

Rahdok wrote:
Hard going into Custodes regardless if they get nerfed when their 9th book officially drops, i love the models and the fact that i only have to paint like maybe 30? Means i can take my time and feel good instead of staring at a pile of shame. I've been trying to research what 9th Custodes armies look like and they're all SO VARIED (which is great) so i have no idea where to start, so here's my questions and if anyone has reccomendations that'd be great!
1. A lot of their REALLY good sheet seems to come from forgeworld how do the Legio Custodes Sagittarum Guard do? Custodes seem to primary be melee first then shooting, but their shooting ISN'T bad?
2. I wanted to somehow take 3 Armiger Warglaives can i do this? I plan on making 3-4k points worth of Custodes just to mix n max and i really like Warglaies as a model.
3. I also plan on taking some sisters and an inquistor or 2 for Psychic stuff and shooting stuff but i have NO clue about anything Sisters related and have never before fielded an Inquisitor so any help on which ones would just be fantastic?!?
4. I found this link <https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Forgeworld_Custodes_Datasheets-1.pdf> (not even sure this will link properly) but its the Forgeworld list stuff for custodes but someone told me FW plans on dropping a 9th ed book version?
5. What army do custodes REALLY struggle against? From my understanding its those that can really dish out mortal wounds so if i had to guess Tyranids/1k Suns and Daemons??
6. I loved the big Exectuioner model guy from the Indomitus box set (bald dude with the big sword). Is it LEGAL to kind of kitbash his model with Custodes to make a Shield Captain or would i get called on it? (Rule of Cool and all)
7. Is Valeriann/Trajann worth taking? I know for SPACE MARINEZ making your own Chapter Master and upgrading via points is usually better then just taking a named Chapter Master , does the same hold true for CUSTARD MEN?
8. I was looking at the stats for Wardens and Guard and...why would i ever take Wardens?
9. I will be buying a Telemon, but should i buy a normal Contemptor or 2 as well? That heavy punch looks worth it, but i've only personally played 2 games of 9th as Ad Mech and i just dropped Dreadnought's so idk if its worth it?

Any help with these questions OR give some advice for running Custodes would be great!


1) regular Custodes guard are melee oriented, but the Sagittarum are indeed shooty, and with a misacorda they are still ok in melee. like others have said they are great for holding the rear objectives.

2)you can, same as any other imperial faction, but what do they give you? what do you want them to give you?

3)the sisters of silence are a good anti-psyker option. most go for the boltgun version, which with a strat can shoot thier boltguns as 18" assault 3 weapons. the flamer girls got a bit of a boost with the extra range form the SM codex changes. both can ignore "look out, sir" rules for pyskers. cant comment on the inquistitors, though.

4) thats the current rules for those models, yes, until the new book drops (its known to be inbound but no date yet. maybe in the new year?). of note though, the points costs have been superceded, i think the current ones are in chapter approved 2020 (or free via Battlescribe).

5) not sure, not got enough play time with mine to really say against all comers.

6) normally? not really, so long as its clear what he is and what hes armed with. Some people can be dicks, but thats always the case.

7) cant comment, dont have him

8) a lot of people ask that as well. really, the only thing they have is the castellen axe (and by extension str 8 melee), but the termies can do that as well. the 6+ FNP is nice but not really worth it, really.

9) if you mean the plastic dread kits, most dont bother with them, though the multi melta buff has made people take a second look, although most still prefer the Telemon with the Arachnus Storm Cannons for a shooty dread. Generally, people who want a elite slot dread go with the FW melee ones either the sword and board (with a 3+invunlerable save) or dread-scale guarding spear variant (which is suprisingly shooty for a melee unit).

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.
"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
500pts
500 pts
 
   
Made in us
Average Orc Boy



Duluth

Sweet, i'll probably pick up 5-10 Sagggitarum and 10+ sisters of silence both melee and shooty ones just to mix and match. Yeah Inquistors idk they seem GOOD, but i like the models and with a 1k-2k side board mixing and matching i'd like to add one for flavor i guess?
And Warglaives mostly cuz RULE OF KOOOOL no other reason i really like the models and i'm not running them in an Ad Mech army ( i really should), but the idea of painting them gold really tickles me pink. Oh and thanks ill look into the updated points its something i'm really struggling finding atm is an updated points cost to build my army.
   
Made in gb
Pewling Menial




Bath

If you download the battlescribe app it should have the current points cost for the custodes. Its free and once you get used to it it can really help with list writing

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.
"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
500pts
500 pts
 
   
Made in us
Average Orc Boy



Duluth

is this app something i can download on computer or is it phone only? idc either way just perfer to do it on my computer (bigger screen easier controls etc)
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: