Switch Theme:

Outrider Sgt Helmet?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant






So I'm kinda disappointed that the outrider kit is only ETB and I'm not a big fan of bare heads. So I was wondering from people that have either built the kit or snipped off the helmet if they think it'd be easy to cover up. I know with the Phobos Cpt it was super easy to snip off and make it look correct.

Thanks in advance
   
Made in de
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine






It's super easy. If you build it without the intended head, you will have a small hole in the ball joint that will be filled by the new head anyway. They use regular Mk X helmets so go nuts.

5650 points Exorcists 1st, 2nd & 11th Company
4875 points Word Bearers & Pact Daemons
2000 points Har'Kias Sept Hunter Cadre
1600 points Angels of Despair Deathwing
650 points Herkasion Tech Schism
Everything 6th edition, probably need to make new lists...
Malifaux Guild & Ressis 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Except the Outrider Sergeant has a helmet moulded to his hips.

It's yet another thing that's disappointing about the Outriders. I want to give all Sergeants in my Primaris army crusader helms, but this ETB crap is making that far harder than it should be.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 23:56:11


   
Made in ca
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Except the Outrider Sergeant has a helmet moulded to his hips.

It's yet another thing that's disappointing about the Outriders. I want to give all Sergeants in my Primaris army crusader helms, but this ETB crap is making that far harder than it should be.



I agree. I was never against ETB until I got the 8th edition starter set. My inceptors seem so bland compared to the full kit, not to mention that there's details missing. Plus the shoulder pads on the intercessors are always messed up cause the mold had an injection point there.

It'd be really nice if it can just be covered up with a purity seal or something
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Except the Outrider Sergeant has a helmet moulded to his hips.

It's yet another thing that's disappointing about the Outriders. I want to give all Sergeants in my Primaris army crusader helms, but this ETB crap is making that far harder than it should be.



That helmet at the hip is either the helm (and head) of a beloved trooper brother or a trophy chaos marine head. Or perhaps it was his Mark VII helmet from before he got primarised, to show respect to his former brothers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/09 10:13:31


It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Procrastinator extraordinaire





Edinburgh, UK

Just snip the helmet off his hip and attach some other bit to hide any messed up detail.

I didn't do that with mine but did do a headswap which is an easy swap.

5000 Fir Farillecassion Eldar W/L/D 4th Ed Codex - 14/7/1 6th Ed Codex - 9/1/0 7th Ed Codex - 4/1/1 8th Ed Codex - 20/6/2 9th Ed - 2/1/0
2000 Hive Fleet Zenith
Excavating eBay: My blog of eBay finds and the pile of shame!
Excoriators! The forgotten Second Founding Chapter P&M blog
Instagram, follow for other hobby updates 
   
Made in gb
Questioning Maelstrom Believer



Ipswich, UK

Once you clip the helm off the hip you're not left with a lot to clean up, just a bit of leg armour and a belt. Just be patient with a little bit of green stuff and you'll be fine. If it's not quite as good as you'd like then grab some detailing from the intercessor sprue to cover and unsightly parts.

You can do a fair bit of modification to the ETB models with a little patience. They are all plastic and easily modified, particularly the space marine ones as they're so chunky.
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Handwave it as a fallen brother's helmet, kept so it's machine spirit may be laid to rest with honour.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++List of documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 9th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities || Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. || Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in ca
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant






 BaconCatBug wrote:
Handwave it as a fallen brother's helmet, kept so it's machine spirit may be laid to rest with honour.


Maybe I'll do this but with a white scars helmet, since he will be a biker after all
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Or go full on Conspiracy Theory and say it's from a Traitor/Chaos Primaris

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++List of documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 9th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities || Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. || Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps




Disciple of Knowledge wrote:
Once you clip the helm off the hip you're not left with a lot to clean up, just a bit of leg armour and a belt. Just be patient with a little bit of green stuff and you'll be fine. If it's not quite as good as you'd like then grab some detailing from the intercessor sprue to cover and unsightly parts.

You can do a fair bit of modification to the ETB models with a little patience. They are all plastic and easily modified, particularly the space marine ones as they're so chunky.


Sure, but its just weird. With the ETB assault intercessors they wised up and used an interchangeable bit for the hip helmet.
With the Sisters they just flat out did a lot of heads, so people could decide if they wanted helmets or not. I was beginning to think they had learned something.
But no, not for the three-model bike squad.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




San Jose, CA

Same here, it is kinda stupid.

   
Made in gb
Questioning Maelstrom Believer



Ipswich, UK

Voss wrote:
. I was beginning to think they had learned something.
But no, not for the three-model bike squad.


Sure, that would have been nice, but for anybody that actually cares about modifying their models and has an ounce of green stuffing ability (and I'd assume that ven diagram has a hefty overlap) it's not much of an issue. Still, I get your point, but on the other hand we've got what we've got and best to just make the most of it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/11 00:50:12


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Disciple of Knowledge wrote:
Sure, that would have been nice, but for anybody that actually cares about modifying their models and has an ounce of green stuffing ability (and I'd assume that ven diagram has a hefty overlap) it's not much of an issue. Still, I get your point, but on the other hand we've got what we've got and best to just make the most of it.
If by 'green stuffing' you mean 'sculpting' then I'd say that's a pretty massive assumption.

   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Disciple of Knowledge wrote:
Sure, that would have been nice, but for anybody that actually cares about modifying their models and has an ounce of green stuffing ability (and I'd assume that ven diagram has a hefty overlap) it's not much of an issue. Still, I get your point, but on the other hand we've got what we've got and best to just make the most of it.
If by 'green stuffing' you mean 'sculpting' then I'd say that's a pretty massive assumption.

Yeah, gonna hold my hand up here and say I was all ready to come steaming in here to say it's an easy fix to just clip off and tidy up but, having had a look at the sprue just now, it's actually a bit fiddlier than that, due to the positioning of the helmet and the bits of leg armour that would be underneath it. It's certainly doable, but it's by no means the easiest of fixes.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Nazrak wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Disciple of Knowledge wrote:
Sure, that would have been nice, but for anybody that actually cares about modifying their models and has an ounce of green stuffing ability (and I'd assume that ven diagram has a hefty overlap) it's not much of an issue. Still, I get your point, but on the other hand we've got what we've got and best to just make the most of it.
If by 'green stuffing' you mean 'sculpting' then I'd say that's a pretty massive assumption.

Yeah, gonna hold my hand up here and say I was all ready to come steaming in here to say it's an easy fix to just clip off and tidy up but, having had a look at the sprue just now, it's actually a bit fiddlier than that, due to the positioning of the helmet and the bits of leg armour that would be underneath it. It's certainly doable, but it's by no means the easiest of fixes.


Is there some reason you couldn't just use the right side leg/bike body bit from one of the other two?
If you can, then you go on Ebay & search for the correct bit (and order a helmet head as well)....
   
Made in gb
Questioning Maelstrom Believer



Ipswich, UK

I don't know that I'd consider smoothing out some green stuff to be sculpting. No armatures, texture creation or anatomy knowledge required. I'll dig out my converted sergeant later this week as I have completed this exact conversion. My hobby space is full of necrons at the moment and the marines are buried so it may take a few days.

My point though was not to draw a fine distinction on the point of where sculpting begins and ends, but merely that if you care about the exact details of your models you will eventually take the plunge and learn some of the skills to make them a reality. Just give it a go. As Tyranid Horde pointed out, and I reiterated, you can also simply grab some other detailed parts to cover where the helm was removed if you're not happy with what you've created/ sculpted.

I'd rather be positive and encourage the OP to give it a go than be critical of the ETB kits.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/01/11 13:45:22


 
   
Made in de
Boosting Black Templar Biker




i don't know how many models i utterly disfigured, by simply clipping off a bit. And noone ever noticed because i put a billion cool bits over the respective spots (like purity seals, lanterns, grenades...). It sure seems intimidating, but if you don't give it a try you'll never know if it could have been done.





 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




That kind of a requires you to be a person that owns a bilion cool bits, and who doesn't have to worry that their army because illegal, if it loses that one model. Not saying that majority of people can learn stuff without training, most people aren't savants, but still this is an expansive hobby and no few number of people may not just want to risk a model to just learn.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

You know that most kits come with spare bitz, right?

Like, any multipart kit would have enough spare bits to cover the section, or can be obtained inexpensively from other local hobbyists or online.

Also, what kind of place do you play in where putting extra pouches on a model makes them illegal?

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Also, what kind of place do you play in where putting extra pouches on a model makes them illegal?

Sorry for my bad english. What I ment is that, if you try something something with one of your outriders and the job is botched, you now have one destroyed model and 2 outridders, and you need 3 models for a legal unit of outridders.


You know that most kits come with spare bitz, right?

My models had no bits in their boxs, but I assume this is because they were metal. But the outrider box doesn't come with any bits in it. Same with the assault intercessors, you have to buy the expensive 10 model boxs to get spare parts, and again I do assume that there are people who can buy a box of intercessors just to get a parts for other models. But if you have a person who is working on one army at a time, and they do not buy it in one go or 2-3 months, then expecting that they are going to be buying 35$ boxs just to get a thunder hammer or powerfist is a bit over the top.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

Karol wrote:
Also, what kind of place do you play in where putting extra pouches on a model makes them illegal?

Sorry for my bad english. What I ment is that, if you try something something with one of your outriders and the job is botched, you now have one destroyed model and 2 outridders, and you need 3 models for a legal unit of outridders.


You glue it back together & have a crappy looking model for awhile. Use black primer as it'll hide a great deal of damage.
Meanwhile you try & determine how to repair it or save your lunch money & buy another.
If you end up replacing it? You keep the botched one & use it as a practice piece - paint techniques, modding, etc. And eventually, after you've mangled the poor thing enough? You turn the piece into an objective marker.


You know that most kits come with spare bitz, right?

Karol wrote:
My models had no bits in their boxs, but I assume this is because they were metal. But the outrider box doesn't come with any bits in it. Same with the assault intercessors, you have to buy the expensive 10 model boxs to get spare parts, and again I do assume that there are people who can buy a box of intercessors just to get a parts for other models. But if you have a person who is working on one army at a time, and they do not buy it in one go or 2-3 months, then expecting that they are going to be buying 35$ boxs just to get a thunder hammer or powerfist is a bit over the top.


EBay is your friend.... 3D printing is a thing....
You want a bit? It's out there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/13 00:05:53


 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Just paint any damage as... well... battle damage.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++List of documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 9th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities || Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. || Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






ccs wrote:
 Nazrak wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Disciple of Knowledge wrote:
Sure, that would have been nice, but for anybody that actually cares about modifying their models and has an ounce of green stuffing ability (and I'd assume that ven diagram has a hefty overlap) it's not much of an issue. Still, I get your point, but on the other hand we've got what we've got and best to just make the most of it.
If by 'green stuffing' you mean 'sculpting' then I'd say that's a pretty massive assumption.

Yeah, gonna hold my hand up here and say I was all ready to come steaming in here to say it's an easy fix to just clip off and tidy up but, having had a look at the sprue just now, it's actually a bit fiddlier than that, due to the positioning of the helmet and the bits of leg armour that would be underneath it. It's certainly doable, but it's by no means the easiest of fixes.


Is there some reason you couldn't just use the right side leg/bike body bit from one of the other two?
If you can, then you go on Ebay & search for the correct bit (and order a helmet head as well)....

Totally looks like this would work, but it's not quite an "out-of-the-box" solution. As I said, it's not a colossal hobby challenge, but nor is it a totally straightforward fix.
   
Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter





If I'm remembering correctly, the legs interconnect with the torsos in interesting and unique ways. You might need to do a bit of tweaking and gap filling to make it work, but you could probably swap the components.

I clipped and shaved the helmets on my deathwatch outriders. It's a fairly recessed area, a quick purity seal, reliquary, or other bit of kit should cover the marred leg section fairly well. It'll also help that I'm painting black armor, I can probably use highlights to draw the eye away from any trouble spots.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: