Switch Theme:

Leman Russ Pattern  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

So, the old plastic Russ was a Phaeton-pattern. The FW one is Mars-Alpha, with the old design also being called that.
My question is- what’s the new (ie. 2009-present) plastic Russ’ pattern?

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

What's the source for the Phaeton-pattern? I thought they had always all been Mars-pattern?

EDIT: Well, that was a bit of a rabbit-hole. The original was a Mars Hull with a Phaeton Turret ("targeting box on the side"), then FW started using Phaeton for some of their turrets.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/05/10 11:37:16


 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




This isn't exactly true.

- Vehicles like the executioner variant is only made on Ryza.
- The vanquisher variant is only built on Tigrus (before it was destroyed), Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII. Other forge worlds may be able to build the vanquisher, but none have been name dropped to my knowledge.
- The conqueror variant is built on Gryphonne IV, Mars, and other unnamed forge worlds.

So the current leman russ kit, cannot be a single pattern of vehicle.


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





OKC, OK USA

Technically, NOTHING is built on Gryphonne IV, they're all relics.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/11 03:07:52


You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 Platuan4th wrote:
Technically, NOTHING is built on Gryphonne IV, they're all relics.


Games of 40k can take place during anytime during the 41st millennium. They don't all have to take place in current lore, so they could either be freshly built or relics.
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Jarms48 wrote:
This isn't exactly true.

- Vehicles like the executioner variant is only made on Ryza.
- The vanquisher variant is only built on Tigrus (before it was destroyed), Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII. Other forge worlds may be able to build the vanquisher, but none have been name dropped to my knowledge.
- The conqueror variant is built on Gryphonne IV, Mars, and other unnamed forge worlds.

So the current leman russ kit, cannot be a single pattern of vehicle.




-Nova cannons are made on other forge worlds, Ryza simply makes the vast majority of them and is particularly good at plasma.
-As you say, other worlds do make the Vanq.
-“and other unnamed forge worlds”.

Also, it has been shown that hull patterns, at least, can be manufactured by different forge worlds but remain the same pattern- Gryphonne and Ryza, for example.
So it is a valid question.

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





OKC, OK USA

Jarms48 wrote:
 Platuan4th wrote:
Technically, NOTHING is built on Gryphonne IV, they're all relics.


Games of 40k can take place during anytime during the 41st millennium. They don't all have to take place in current lore, so they could either be freshly built or relics.


You literally mention another Forge World as being destroyed in your own post, despite there being an entire game system set during the time it exists. By your own logic, dead planets aren't ever worth mentioning as being dead.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/05/11 11:40:45


You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
The Before Times: A Place That Celebrates The World That Was 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

For a while I thought it was Mars-pattern, but looking back I’ve been unable to find a source for that.

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 Platuan4th wrote:

You literally mention another Forge World as being destroyed in your own post, despite there being an entire game system set during the time it exists. By your own logic, dead planets aren't ever worth mentioning as being dead.


I only mentioned that, as the destruction of Tigrus is the very reason why Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII started to build the Vanquisher in the first place. I haven't read any other named planets taking up the production of Gryphonne IV pattern vehicles after its destruction.

You are right, it does sound hypercritic of me. I'll give that to you and I apologise, but the above was my thought process.

The entire point of my original post is that the current Leman Russ kits aren't a single pattern of vehicle. With the old Leman Russ kit that was possible because it only built the one variant.
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Jarms48 wrote:
 Platuan4th wrote:

You literally mention another Forge World as being destroyed in your own post, despite there being an entire game system set during the time it exists. By your own logic, dead planets aren't ever worth mentioning as being dead.


I only mentioned that, as the destruction of Tigrus is the very reason why Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII started to build the Vanquisher in the first place. I haven't read any other named planets taking up the production of Gryphonne IV pattern vehicles after its destruction.

You are right, it does sound hypercritic of me. I'll give that to you and I apologise, but the above was my thought process.

The entire point of my original post is that the current Leman Russ kits aren't a single pattern of vehicle. With the old Leman Russ kit that was possible because it only built the one variant.


Except that, as has been said, it is possible. There’s no conqueror in the plastic kit. The current Russ can be a single pattern of vehicle.

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 DalekCheese wrote:
Jarms48 wrote:
 Platuan4th wrote:

You literally mention another Forge World as being destroyed in your own post, despite there being an entire game system set during the time it exists. By your own logic, dead planets aren't ever worth mentioning as being dead.


I only mentioned that, as the destruction of Tigrus is the very reason why Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII started to build the Vanquisher in the first place. I haven't read any other named planets taking up the production of Gryphonne IV pattern vehicles after its destruction.

You are right, it does sound hypercritic of me. I'll give that to you and I apologise, but the above was my thought process.

The entire point of my original post is that the current Leman Russ kits aren't a single pattern of vehicle. With the old Leman Russ kit that was possible because it only built the one variant.


Except that, as has been said, it is possible. There’s no conqueror in the plastic kit. The current Russ can be a single pattern of vehicle.


Executioners are said to be solely produced on Ryza. So the kit with the Demolisher, Punisher, and Executioner has to be a Ryza pattern. Even though FW (the company not planetary type) produces their own Ryza turret. Though it’s not unreasonable for a planet to produce 2 types of turret.

The standard Leman Russ kit is too hard to pinpoint. It’s clearly not a Gryphonne IV or Stygies VII pattern, as FW produces those Vanquishers. So that means it’s either a relic of Tigrus or another FW that successfully replicated the Vanquisher cannon. The other variants in that kit are too common to distinguish.
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Jarms48 wrote:
 DalekCheese wrote:
Jarms48 wrote:
 Platuan4th wrote:

You literally mention another Forge World as being destroyed in your own post, despite there being an entire game system set during the time it exists. By your own logic, dead planets aren't ever worth mentioning as being dead.


I only mentioned that, as the destruction of Tigrus is the very reason why Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII started to build the Vanquisher in the first place. I haven't read any other named planets taking up the production of Gryphonne IV pattern vehicles after its destruction.

You are right, it does sound hypercritic of me. I'll give that to you and I apologise, but the above was my thought process.

The entire point of my original post is that the current Leman Russ kits aren't a single pattern of vehicle. With the old Leman Russ kit that was possible because it only built the one variant.


Except that, as has been said, it is possible. There’s no conqueror in the plastic kit. The current Russ can be a single pattern of vehicle.


Executioners are said to be solely produced on Ryza.

They are said to be solely produced on Ryza in the 41st Millenium.

The standard Leman Russ kit is too hard to pinpoint. It’s clearly not a Gryphonne IV or Stygies VII pattern, as FW produces those Vanquishers. So that means it’s either a relic of Tigrus or another FW that successfully replicated the Vanquisher cannon. The other variants in that kit are too common to distinguish.


Unnamed FWs have built vanqs. This is not an argument worth having.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/19 13:08:58


See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 DalekCheese wrote:

They are said to be solely produced on Ryza in the 41st Millenium.


You'll need to show me the source for this. Ever since the original Imperial Armour around 3rd edition it's been said to have only been produced on Ryza. That means either the current demolisher/punisher/executioner kit is from Ryza or the tank being used is 10,000 years old.



Unnamed FWs have built vanqs. This is not an argument worth having.


I literally said that...
So that means it’s either a relic of Tigrus or another FW that successfully replicated the Vanquisher cannon.


It being an unnamed FW also defeats the purpose of this entire thread. You can't name a pattern if you don't know the planets name.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 2021/05/24 04:55:16


 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Jarms48 wrote:
 DalekCheese wrote:

They are said to be solely produced on Ryza in the 41st Millenium.


You'll need to show me the source for this. Ever since the original Imperial Armour around 3rd edition it's been said to have only been produced on Ryza. That means either the current demolisher/punisher/executioner kit is from Ryza or the tank being used is 10,000 years old.


There are dates between 30,000 and 40,000, you know.

Unnamed FWs have built vanqs. This is not an argument worth having.


I literally said that...
So that means it’s either a relic of Tigrus or another FW that successfully replicated the Vanquisher cannon.


It being an unnamed FW also defeats the purpose of this entire thread. You can't name a pattern if you don't know the planets name.


No, it doesn’t defeat the point of the thread. If the pattern of chassis and turret is known then the Vanq can be matched to it. Alternatively, the weapons could have been installed in different turrets- given the stress IA places on how rare they are, it’s hardly difficult to see them being moved after the destruction of an original tank.

As has been established, this is a valid thread. If you don’t have an answer, then that’s fine.

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in us
Repentia Mistress






New Hampshire

To answer OP, I do not believe it has been stated in canon as to what pattern the new turret is.

I feel some people are misunderstanding the different between where it is built and the pattern used. A Mars pattern hull can be built somewhere other than Mars, but it's still a "Mars Pattern" hull. The same with the Phaeton pattern turret. So you can have a Mars pattern hull with a Phaeton pattern turret built on Ryza with a Executioner plasma cannon. They are still [X] pattern regardless of where they are built.


It was stated in IA:1 that other forgeworlds where trying to replicate their own vanquishers after Tigrus fell to Orks, with Gryphonne IV and Stygies VIII being the ones to have succeeded in creating their own versions.

For the Executioner, I feel it should be pointed out that the lore that only Ryza builds them is from when it was a FW only non-codex model. So units like it (and the Vanquisher) had explanations for as to why they were rare even though at the time they were arguably better than the codex version (remember, vanquisher could originally choose between normal and AT shots)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/05/24 13:09:31


"Elysians: For when you absolutely, positively, must have 100% casualties" 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: