Switch Theme:

Removing Sponsons  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





Hi everyone. I have a bunch of Leman Russ Battle Tanks that have side sponsons glued on (not sure whether it is plastic or super glue, probably a mix of both among the tanks). Looking to remove these and magnetize in the future to conform to WYSIWYG. Any suggestions for how to remove?

 Tactical_Spam wrote:
You never know when that leman russ will punch you back

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

Well, if I may be so bold,

By far the easiest way would be to just slice them off and convert extra armor plates on the sides with sponsons over that.

If you go this route Blood and Skulls Industries makes a wonderful Leman Russ conversion kit that has side armor that just slips on, with the option of putting your sponsons on (or not on at all).


Edit: Link for the link god. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254798615547?hash=item3b532e53fb:g:HPMAAOSwrOlfyq9s

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/14 23:14:10


 
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





Interesting! What would I be slicing off? Just the sponson at that point? How would I do that?

 Tactical_Spam wrote:
You never know when that leman russ will punch you back

 
   
Made in au
Grizzled Space Wolves Great Wolf





You could try sticking the model in the freezer for a while and then see if you can snap it off. Superglue especially goes brittle.

Definitely not guaranteed to work, but worth a try initially.
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





Thanks!

 Tactical_Spam wrote:
You never know when that leman russ will punch you back

 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Billagio,

I wanted take mine off and had used polystyrene cement (so a melted bond), so freezing was not an option. I just used a very sharp (new blade) exacto knife. Very slowly I worked around the edges and cut it off but slowly pushing the blade between the sponson edge and the tank side.

Then I built it so I could re-attach the side sponsons with magnets. Used the spare small access panels (with a magnet on the other side) to cover the hole and did some sanding and clean-up. Then with putty and a magnet I made it so the side sponson could be added if I wanted.

Here is the tank while the putty I filled into the side sponsons dried (that is how one magnet is held in place), with cellophane so it would not stick. On the other side of the small access hatch is the other magnet.



With Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons:

With Heavy Bolter and no side Sponsons:


Hope that helps,

CB

46 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Elysian and Tau units looking for a new home. Unpainted Bretonnian metal units and figures for sale.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





 Captain Brown wrote:
Billagio,

I wanted take mine off and had used polystyrene cement (so a melted bond), so freezing was not an option. I just used a very sharp (new blade) exacto knife. Very slowly I worked around the edges and cut it off but slowly pushing the blade between the sponson edge and the tank side.

Then I built it so I could re-attach the side sponsons with magnets. Used the spare small access panels (with a magnet on the other side) to cover the hole and did some sanding and clean-up. Then with putty and a magnet I made it so the side sponson could be added if I wanted.

Here is the tank while the putty I filled into the side sponsons dried (that is how one magnet is held in place), with cellophane so it would not stick. On the other side of the small access hatch is the other magnet.



With Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons:

With Heavy Bolter and no side Sponsons:


Hope that helps,

CB


Thanks! Will try this method. Im gonna try freezing first, might be able to get some off that way. Not sure what glue ive used and some were bought on ebay

 Tactical_Spam wrote:
You never know when that leman russ will punch you back

 
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to: