Switch Theme:

GW's Supply Problems?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I need my plastic crack.

I've been waiting for months for a Deathstrike missile carrier.

I need Sacresants for my Sisters of Battle and Blood Knights for my Soulblight. If you don't get these hot new releases day-of, we have to wait for months now for restocks.

Yes, yes, pandemic and all that, but that hasn't stopped them from putting out millions of new kits every week over the past few months, has it? A whole new edition of AoS is out and stores are trying hard to push it, and they've got all the starter sets, Orks, and plenty more coming.

But the previous releases are hardly finished if people can't even buy the product that was sold last week! Couple this with their primer issue (stuck in customs???), I, personally, would rather GW take more time to get their supply chain issues resolved rather than try to push even more stuff that will then join the backlog of stuff that's sold out and we need to wait months for.

Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine about these issues being resolved at any time? Or will we just have to hope that maybe by Christmas we'll be able to finish actually building all these new armies they've been pushing?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/14 21:28:49


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




They've had issues keeping stuff in stock since before Covid. I think it's very unlikely it's going to change any time soon. It's either something they want to fix but can't - in which case, it won't get fixed - or it's a deliberate choice to keep stocks in the warehouses low to save on storage costs, even if that means stuff sometimes stays sold out for extended periods of time - in which case, it won't get fixed.

The only way I see that calculus changing either way is if GW starts losing so much money to recasters patronized by people who can't get their models any other way that it leads them to do whatever it takes to keep larger stocks on hand.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/14 21:32:57


 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

Three quick points:
GW kits make the majority of their profit in the month of their release, so GW are going to keep pumping out new stuff.
There's a massive backlog of new stuff to come - the Castellan Crowe studio model was painted around 2 years ago
GW have opened a bigger manufacturing site in the UK, but it's not at capacity yet due to Covid.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Grot Snipa





Atlanta, GA

I imagine that Brexit is also throwing wrenches in the works, and this is in addition to a rumored move to a new, bigger warehouse recently that may have also caused some supply issues.

I get that out of stock items are frustrating, but I guarantee you that Games Workshop isn't doing any of this deliberately. They want you to spend as much money on their product as possible, and if you can't get product, you don't spend money. They probably want all of these issues resolved even more so than you do.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

They probably wasted most of their production pushing out Dominion

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/14 22:17:50


Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Voss wrote:
I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...


That's why you don't order from GW's online store (aside from also paying 15% more than you otherwise would and/or not supporting a game store) if you can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, FW stuff and some of the older non-FW stuff is really only available on the website.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/14 22:19:54


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Goose LeChance wrote:
They probably wasted most of their production pushing out Dominion


just cause you like AOS doesn't mean it's wasted. excitement around the box among the AOS community is about the same as indoimatus was for us

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

Huhn, I was just going to suggest e-baying these items, but it looks like no one's selling Deathstrikes/Manticores as it is.

Right now, with the shipping container issues around the world, there's all kinds of strange shortages and delays going on. I suspect this sort of thing is going to take beyond Christmas to get sorted out, if ever.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/17 17:54:02


It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Brainy Zoanthrope






Voss wrote:
I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...


Did you actually wait that long or is that the allotted delivery time? I haven't had to wait longer than two weeks for any of my stuff to get shipped over the last few months.
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 Irkjoe wrote:
Voss wrote:
I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...


Did you actually wait that long or is that the allotted delivery time? I haven't had to wait longer than two weeks for any of my stuff to get shipped over the last few months.

Month for the Lumineth secondary release of book+warscroll cards, because the Lord of Virulence my brother ordered at the same time went out of stock before they processed the order for shipping the following Monday.
   
Made in us
Sister Vastly Superior





I can say that I ordered my Space nuns about 1 minute after they went up for pre order... and they still haven't even fething shipped out.

they ran out during fulfillment on 1 model and its held up my order so far to this day.

they wont even tell me an expected restock date all I get is a condescending "we can remove the out of stock item and ship the rest of the order or you can feth off and refund your entire order"

which honestly im tempted to do and take my business elsewhere to 3rd party proxies.

It sucks having a 700-800$ order just sitting there, not being able to play my army becuase they are holding my codex and models hostage.

"If you are forced to use your trump card, then the battle is already lost" 
   
Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Bloodletter





 warmaster21 wrote:
I can say that I ordered my Space nuns about 1 minute after they went up for pre order... and they still haven't even fething shipped out.

they ran out during fulfillment on 1 model and its held up my order so far to this day.

they wont even tell me an expected restock date all I get is a condescending "we can remove the out of stock item and ship the rest of the order or you can feth off and refund your entire order"

which honestly im tempted to do and take my business elsewhere to 3rd party proxies.

It sucks having a 700-800$ order just sitting there, not being able to play my army becuase they are holding my codex and models hostage.


Unless that 1 out of stock item is the 'OMG must have' item you could always just take everything else and wait for that single item to come back in stock.
Or, y'know, not do that.

 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






Spoiler:
 warmaster21 wrote:
I can say that I ordered my Space nuns about 1 minute after they went up for pre order... and they still haven't even fething shipped out.

they ran out during fulfillment on 1 model and its held up my order so far to this day.

they wont even tell me an expected restock date all I get is a condescending "we can remove the out of stock item and ship the rest of the order or you can feth off and refund your entire order"

which honestly im tempted to do and take my business elsewhere to 3rd party proxies.

It sucks having a 700-800$ order just sitting there, not being able to play my army becuase they are holding my codex and models hostage.

You could literally have solved 99% of that by just taking the rest of the order. Hell, you could even just replace the one thing with something similar and covert the model if it's so vital. It's not condescending to offer you a solution.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 Irkjoe wrote:
Voss wrote:
I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...


Did you actually wait that long or is that the allotted delivery time? I haven't had to wait longer than two weeks for any of my stuff to get shipped over the last few months.


That's what the system told me at the last step of my order. 'Orders can take up to 25 days to process.'
I haven't ordered anything since last year, and that took about 10-14 days, which was still quite silly.

Effectively what they're telling me is 'don't order from us.' But I figured I'd order some supplies while taking time to assemble my Dominion box (which I surprisingly got from the LGS).
Well, I finally finished that last night, so... I dunno. When I finally finish my work week on Tuesday, I'll see what the situation is, but its been 10 days without a peep so far.

yukishiro1 wrote:

That's why you don't order from GW's online store (aside from also paying 15% more than you otherwise would and/or not supporting a game store) if you can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, FW stuff and some of the older non-FW stuff is really only available on the website.


The local store has a small stock of stuff on a rack barely bigger than a full GW paint rack. Getting them to get a copy of Dominion took three walk-ins and I wasn't sure I'd actually get it until after I walked out the store with the actual box. They're even less reliable than GW, and I don't feel like gambling on breaking in a new online retailer.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/17 22:43:24


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in nl
Fixture of Dakka





Look I make balloon animal

As far as I understand from browsing GW reports, they are currently struggling with a lot of "growing pains". Their production can't keep up with the increasing demand. They are in the process of upgrading their manufacturing capacities and warehouse facilities, but that obviously takes time, especially in the face of Brexit and COVID.

Their second factory which opened in 2019 is nearly complete, but still not fully operational, and they are still in the process of renovating their first one (not sure if that one is operational). They currently are also investing in renovating and upgrading their warehouse capacity a lot, which I believe is the primary cause for their current supply issues.


If you want to read for yourself about their issues and how GW plans on resolving them, you should check out their investor reports:
https://investor.games-workshop.com/annual-reports-and-half-year-results/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/17 22:47:01


Error 404: Interesting signature not found

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





yukishiro1 wrote:
Voss wrote:
I do think it's a bit absurd that my current order (everything available at the time of ordering) is going to take up to 25 days to leave the warehouse. That's just absurd...


That's why you don't order from GW's online store (aside from also paying 15% more than you otherwise would and/or not supporting a game store) if you can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, FW stuff and some of the older non-FW stuff is really only available on the website.


Don't know about the OP, but I ordered my stuff from my FLGS. When the new sisters stuff came in, all they got were Paragons, codexes, and data cards. No word on anything else, and it's not the first time in the last year that this happened.
   
Made in us
Humorless Arbite





California

Drukhari wracks have been out of stock on the GW site for quite some time now. I can't find them for sale anywhere except ebay, and that's for almost 60 bucks for 5 models. As opposed to 36 from GW. This seller has sold over 100 of these, it reeks of a scalper buying up a ton of these off the GW webstore and reselling them at a significant increase.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Thargrim wrote:
Drukhari wracks have been out of stock on the GW site for quite some time now. I can't find them for sale anywhere except ebay, and that's for almost 60 bucks for 5 models. As opposed to 36 from GW. This seller has sold over 100 of these, it reeks of a scalper buying up a ton of these off the GW webstore and reselling them at a significant increase.


scalpers are a MAJOR problem agreed. sadly short of going to a made to order system there's not much we as players can do. the problem is the fething morons who are willing to fork over 600 dollars for a discount box. I blame the exclusive minis in the box, when a box like indomatus etc has entirely new minis unavable elsewhere people rush out and are willing to pay stupid sums for them, this makes it easier for scalpers. contrast this with a battlebox that consists of stuff we already have, there's no need to scalp that stuff as the only appeal is the discount

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Humorless Arbite





California

BrianDavion wrote:
 Thargrim wrote:
Drukhari wracks have been out of stock on the GW site for quite some time now. I can't find them for sale anywhere except ebay, and that's for almost 60 bucks for 5 models. As opposed to 36 from GW. This seller has sold over 100 of these, it reeks of a scalper buying up a ton of these off the GW webstore and reselling them at a significant increase.


scalpers are a MAJOR problem agreed. sadly short of going to a made to order system there's not much we as players can do. the problem is the fething morons who are willing to fork over 600 dollars for a discount box. I blame the exclusive minis in the box, when a box like indomatus etc has entirely new minis unavable elsewhere people rush out and are willing to pay stupid sums for them, this makes it easier for scalpers. contrast this with a battlebox that consists of stuff we already have, there's no need to scalp that stuff as the only appeal is the discount


Yep, I wasn't willing to cave into that pricing. Then I become part of the problem. In the end it's GW that's missing on those sales, I would've bought 2-3 boxes of wracks direct from GW (my LGS is a GW) but instead i've bought nothing. Downside is the building of my army is pretty much dead in the water until GW restocks the kit.

 
   
Made in us
Hardened Veteran Guardsman





 Thargrim wrote:
...In the end it's GW that's missing on those sales...

That's the sad bit - they aren't. As far as GW is concerned, the scalper's just another n kits moved, same as any other purchase.
   
Made in us
Sure Space Wolves Land Raider Pilot






The last time I complained about their inability to produce their wares I was called a Karen. However the things I complained about are still not in stock months later.
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User



Nottingham

Have you tried living in Nottingham?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Voss wrote:


yukishiro1 wrote:

That's why you don't order from GW's online store (aside from also paying 15% more than you otherwise would and/or not supporting a game store) if you can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, FW stuff and some of the older non-FW stuff is really only available on the website.


The local store has a small stock of stuff on a rack barely bigger than a full GW paint rack. Getting them to get a copy of Dominion took three walk-ins and I wasn't sure I'd actually get it until after I walked out the store with the actual box. They're even less reliable than GW, and I don't feel like gambling on breaking in a new online retailer.


If you're willing to pay 15% more for the privilege of waiting 3 weeks longer to get your stuff, you're kind of part of the reason their webstore is such a disaster. What incentive do they have to be better when you will literally pay them 15% more in order to give you slower service?

Do what you want by all means. But GW is laughing all the way to the bank every time you suck it up and order from them again.

   
Made in gb
Ship's Officer





Bristol (UK)

Scalpers do hurt GW, even directly on sales.

When ordering from GW it's possible you think "might as well chuck in that other box while I'm at it, that'd even get me free shipping".

Additionally, if you have say a £60 budget this month, you could either buy a box of Wracks from a scalper for £60 (in which case GW gets £30 for the original sale), or you can buy a box of Wracks and another of Wytches for £60 from GW, then GW gets the full £60.

It's difficult for them to manage because these are products where your average person could reasonably want multiple copies even if not for nefarious means.
The solution is not to produce limited edition items and always have plenty of stock.
Unfortunately both of those are bad for GW.
Limited edition items sell a lot better due to FOMO.
Secondly, overstock costs GW because they need to pay for warehouses and such, plus they've been caught off balance by how unbelievably successful their new sales tactics are and they can't keep up.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 kirotheavenger wrote:

Additionally, if you have say a £60 budget this month, you could either buy a box of Wracks from a scalper for £60 (in which case GW gets £30 for the original sale), or you can buy a box of Wracks and another of Wytches for £60 from GW, then GW gets the full £60.


How much of a cut GW gets has never been a concern. And they appear to be doing just fine.
How quickly I need the thing though & who can fulfill the order within that timeframe on the other hand....
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





yukishiro1 wrote:
Voss wrote:


yukishiro1 wrote:

That's why you don't order from GW's online store (aside from also paying 15% more than you otherwise would and/or not supporting a game store) if you can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, FW stuff and some of the older non-FW stuff is really only available on the website.


The local store has a small stock of stuff on a rack barely bigger than a full GW paint rack. Getting them to get a copy of Dominion took three walk-ins and I wasn't sure I'd actually get it until after I walked out the store with the actual box. They're even less reliable than GW, and I don't feel like gambling on breaking in a new online retailer.


If you're willing to pay 15% more for the privilege of waiting 3 weeks longer to get your stuff, you're kind of part of the reason their webstore is such a disaster. What incentive do they have to be better when you will literally pay them 15% more in order to give you slower service?

Do what you want by all means. But GW is laughing all the way to the bank every time you suck it up and order from them again.




he explained why quite sensiably to me, with GW if you place an order, you'll get it (and making you wait longer then normal is NOT BTW the norm) whereas a small local shop may not be as reliable.

listen more judge less

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/19 08:13:03


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pinch of salt time.

Local manager explained it thusly.

The new factory is up and running. But due to previous COVID restrictions (previous as compulsory stuff was lifted this morning in the U.K.), only a relative fraction of the staff could be in due to social distancing.

And between shifts, cleaning had to take place, again due to COVID.

It’s not ideal, and has of course lead to delays in stock replenishment.

Now, I have no way of knowing that’s actually true. But it is plausible, and fits with what we know of COVID restrictions in the UK

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Pinch of salt time.

Local manager explained it thusly.

The new factory is up and running. But due to previous COVID restrictions (previous as compulsory stuff was lifted this morning in the U.K.), only a relative fraction of the staff could be in due to social distancing.

And between shifts, cleaning had to take place, again due to COVID.

It’s not ideal, and has of course lead to delays in stock replenishment.

Now, I have no way of knowing that’s actually true. But it is plausible, and fits with what we know of COVID restrictions in the UK


yeah I was told that too, once covid restrictions are lifted, we'll slowly see the supply situation become less of an issue, but thats gonna take time, the UK just lifted their final covid restrictions today (congrats BTW UKers), but given the lag time etc we've proably got another 6 months to a year before the covid situation is behind us. And I suspect GW'll still have some supply issues

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






Only England lifted its restrictions, none of the other nations have.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: