Switch Theme:

Text to Speech on hiatus  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






Hey all. Alfabusa (creator of TTS) has put out the following statement:
https://twitter.com/Alfabusa/status/1420877626034606080
I think its safe to say a lot of people here are going to be pretty disappointed to see TTS go.
In favour of anger, maybe let's discuss our favourite moments from TTS over the years.
The recent Stellaris special and the WHFB RPG special might just be some of my favourite videos on YT and they are for sure some of the best work done by the TTS team.

NVM beaten by a few minutes on News and Rumours.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 23:47:51


 
   
Made in us
Hacking Interventor





...Oh balls on toast.

"All you 40k people out there have managed to more or less do something that I did some time ago, and some of my friends did before me, and some of their friends did before them: When you saw the water getting gakky, you decided to, well, get out of the pool, rather than say 'I guess this is water now.'"

-Tex Talks Battletech on GW 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






Not that I follow TTS, but I'm really not liking GWs approach these days.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

Well gak.
Time to get the pitchforks and torches.
Was really hoping to see how the Dad-Emperor turns the tables on Vect.
Hopefully GW will backtrack a little.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/30 00:24:24


What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

 Insectum7 wrote:
Not that I follow TTS, but I'm really not liking GWs approach these days.


I'm going to pre-empt the comments saying 'but GW didn't force them to do anything!' by pointing out that this was a response to the chilling effect of GW's recent behavior.

It's disappointing that even artists behind clear-cut protected work (parody) have to self-censor, thanks to a legal system that can easily bankrupt you even if you win.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Yeah, GW really hates free advertising for some reason...
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Hecaton wrote:
Yeah, GW really hates free advertising for some reason...


I'm not really sure TTS is the kind of advertising they wanted to present even if they didn't shut it down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 01:44:08


   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Daedalus81 wrote:
Hecaton wrote:
Yeah, GW really hates free advertising for some reason...


I'm not really sure TTS is the kind of advertising they wanted to present even if they didn't shut it down.



I find the idea of fan videos as free advertising kinda doubtful TBH. most 40k fan videos don't give links to the GW website or anything

most fan videos I find at a cursiory glance do not provide much of any link etc to GW's website and at most had a TINY disclaiming saying they're not affiliated with GW. You and I know whaty it is, but if my dad stumbled on some of them he'd hardly know it was based on a game. Meanwhile if he found the trailers etc GW themselves make, it's quite clear that they're for a game of sort sort and give links where he can find out more.

Warhammer fan films are more a fan circlejerk then advertising I suspect. don't get me wrong I enjoy them but I sincerly doubt many people get into 40k because they stumbled on Astartes on youtube

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Makes me sad.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.
ERJAK wrote:
...probably has a some amount of Nazi memorabilia, has many concerning opinions about racial and cultural minorities, and/or likely refers to women as 'females'.
--Saying this about another member does not violate Dakka's Rule #1, apparently. 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






I disagree. Say you're a fan of a streamer/YT gamer (ugh hate that word) and said person plays a Warhammer game like Space Marine or Dawn of War. Some people might just go "hey yeah cool video games" but others might pick up an interest. I used to watch a lot of Supreme Commander games which in turn led The Algorithm to suggest other RTS games and eventually Dawn of War popped up. Now I'd been in to my local GW once and left without buying anything or being interested but seeing a video game about it was way different.
For something like TTS, honestly I have no clue how I even got to it in the first place. My memory doesn't extend to 8 years ago in much detail.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

BrianDavion wrote:
but I sincerly doubt many people get into 40k because they stumbled on Astartes on youtube


You'd be surprised, then. I've talked to a decent number of people who got into the hobby specifically because of Astartes.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 catbarf wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
but I sincerly doubt many people get into 40k because they stumbled on Astartes on youtube


You'd be surprised, then. I've talked to a decent number of people who got into the hobby specifically because of Astartes.


Yea, but that's a clearer representation and why it got picked up. TTS was so far out there only people who had some understanding of the lore to begin with would have any idea what is happening.

   
Made in us
Hacking Interventor





TTS kind of acted as a For Dummies lore tutorial, especially early on, didn't it? I can't speak to how effective it would be for someone entirely new to the setting, having not had that experience, but it did make some effort to bring new people up to speed and, for what it's worth, there are certainly a fair number of outraged comments who claim that TTS got them into 40K to begin with.

"All you 40k people out there have managed to more or less do something that I did some time ago, and some of my friends did before me, and some of their friends did before them: When you saw the water getting gakky, you decided to, well, get out of the pool, rather than say 'I guess this is water now.'"

-Tex Talks Battletech on GW 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






Any sort of fan art that is public and shared increases product awareness. Product placement in a movie doesn't have direct links to purchase items either, it's purely about brand exposure. Fan works are free brand exposure. If you think that's not valuable, well . . .

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




It's pretty upsetting to see him go. Such a beloved series that should be protected as parody, but he's right. Ultimately that would be up to the court.

Someone should reach out to Jim Sterling and see if he'll do a video on GW's shady legal practices as of late. Whilst I do believe what they're doing is legal, it's just scummy.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Jarms48 wrote:
Someone should reach out to Jim Sterling and see if he'll do a video on GW's shady legal practices as of late. Whilst I do believe what they're doing is legal, it's just scummy.
What would be the point? He's just turn it into another excuse to go on a Michael Moore-ish rant about destroying capitalism and how unions are the answer to all of society's ills.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 03:22:57


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Jarms48 wrote:
Someone should reach out to Jim Sterling and see if he'll do a video on GW's shady legal practices as of late. Whilst I do believe what they're doing is legal, it's just scummy.
What would be the point? He's just turn it into another excuse to go on a Michael Moore-ish rant about destroying capitalism and how unions are the answer to all of society's ills.


And? He's got a platform and an audience. Someone bigger than any of us should call them out on their bs.
   
Made in us
Hacking Interventor





I like Jim Sterling, but this isn't a videogames topic precisely.

That said... yeesh. TTS was kind of the voice saying "This universe can be fun and ridiculous while still telling big stories," and this just feels a little like Fun has decided, not unreasonably, that it has no place in the same galaxy as GW's policies.

"All you 40k people out there have managed to more or less do something that I did some time ago, and some of my friends did before me, and some of their friends did before them: When you saw the water getting gakky, you decided to, well, get out of the pool, rather than say 'I guess this is water now.'"

-Tex Talks Battletech on GW 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Cards on the table: I think TTS is gak. I've never liked it, and the only thing I dislike about TTS more than TTS itself is the weird people out there who actually begin to use it as a source for 40k lore. Yes, they exist.

But, this shouldn't happen to them. It's just wrong, breeds resentment amongst the fans, and harms the goodwill they have been attempting to foster from behind their fancy curtain for years now. Fanworks, especially parody, shouldn't require the Citadel™ FineSeal™ of Approval™. They should just be whatever they want to be.

And I fear any amount of awareness or 'signal boosting' (if you like) would be drowned out by his own proclivities towards hyper anti-capitalistic rants. What I'm saying is that he might lose the thread of what he's talking about to divert to his favourite (and endlessly repetitive) pet rant, weakening the meaning behind the actual central discussion.




This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/30 03:38:25


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Jarms48 wrote:
It's pretty upsetting to see him go. Such a beloved series that should be protected as parody, but he's right. Ultimately that would be up to the court.

Someone should reach out to Jim Sterling and see if he'll do a video on GW's shady legal practices as of late. Whilst I do believe what they're doing is legal, it's just scummy.


Doesn't Jim use they/them?
   
Made in se
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





Sad to see GW fall again. The company really was on the rise after 8ed with various fan friendly policies. Like re-instating specialist games and listening to community feedback. Looks like they’ve really swung around again.

Fan projects have been a part of gw for quite some time. Like the German movie damnatus and all those old newgrounds flash videos. Sad to see them do this to fans labors of love.

His pattern of returning alive after being declared dead occurred often enough during Cain's career that the Munitorum made a special ruling that Ciaphas Cain is to never be considered dead, despite evidence to the contrary. 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




Doesn't Jim use they/them?


Yes, you're absolutely right. It was a force of habit when typing I'm afraid.
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




BrianDavion 800021 11186382 wrote:

Warhammer fan films are more a fan circlejerk then advertising I suspect. don't get me wrong I enjoy them but I sincerly doubt many people get into 40k because they stumbled on Astartes on youtube

I can't speak for the entire world, but here after Henry Cavil posted his painting pictures people did start coming to our and other store asking about what the the whole thing is about. Plus even if GW got one extra buyers, it is still one extra buyer for Free. People around here don't care as much about C&D , but if someone makes a chunk of their income from twitch or YT it has to be really bad. Asmongold and other twitch streamers watched Astartes on their streams, and mention warhammer every now and then, you think this doesn't impact the visibility of the game and it being a part of the culture. And Twitch streamers sure as hell monetize their content. So I am assuming they are going to get a call from GW soon.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in pt
Fireknife Shas'el




Lisbon, Portugal

Sad!

TTS was hella fun. And their Magnus' voice will forever be canon to me.

KT, 40k, AI & BFG: / SW Legion & X-Wing: CIS / MCP

 Unit1126PLL wrote:
"FW is unbalanced and going to ruin tournaments."
"Name one where it did that."
"IT JUST DOES OKAY!"

 Shadenuat wrote:
Voted Astra Militarum for a chance for them to get nerfed instead of my own army.
 
   
Made in gb
Lord of the Fleet






London

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Cards on the table: I think TTS is gak. I've never liked it, and the only thing I dislike about TTS more than TTS itself is the weird people out there who actually begin to use it as a source for 40k lore. Yes, they exist.

But, this shouldn't happen to them. It's just wrong, breeds resentment amongst the fans, and harms the goodwill they have been attempting to foster from behind their fancy curtain for years now. Fanworks, especially parody, shouldn't require the Citadel™ FineSeal™ of Approval™. They should just be whatever they want to be.



100% this. TTS was one of the most unfunny things I've ever watched, but it's not a good PR move by GW.

   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 Valkyrie wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Cards on the table: I think TTS is gak. I've never liked it, and the only thing I dislike about TTS more than TTS itself is the weird people out there who actually begin to use it as a source for 40k lore. Yes, they exist.

But, this shouldn't happen to them. It's just wrong, breeds resentment amongst the fans, and harms the goodwill they have been attempting to foster from behind their fancy curtain for years now. Fanworks, especially parody, shouldn't require the Citadel™ FineSeal™ of Approval™. They should just be whatever they want to be.



100% this. TTS was one of the most unfunny things I've ever watched, but it's not a good PR move by GW.


Thirded. Frankly I thought it was a blight on the community (for the reasons HBMC gave above), but them disappearing is just the thin end of the wedge.




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




While I thought the series was getting a bit long in the tooth, this isn’t the way I wanted it to go out and it’s a symptom of something a lot worse on GW’s part. It’s free advertising for the company and clamping down on parodies and fan projects is a very quick way to ruin your image.
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard



UK

All moves like this do is damage gw.

They've only started getting back good will since 2014 when roundtree took over from kirby.

Nearly everyone hates this move on their part, it's just reminding people of the bad old days of not so long ago.
   
Made in gb
Killer Klaivex




The dark behind the eyes.

hobojebus wrote:
Nearly everyone hates this move on their part, it's just reminding people of the bad old days of not so long ago.


Perhaps it should instead serve to remind people that GW's policies never actually changed, they just put out a bit of PR and suddenly their customers were rushing back.

 the_scotsman wrote:
Yeah, when i read the small novel that is the Death Guard unit options and think about resolving the attacks from a melee-oriented min size death guard squad, the thing that springs to mind is "Accessible!"

 Argive wrote:
GW seems to have a crystal ball and just pulls hairbrained ideas out of their backside for the most part.


 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"


Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.


 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




Funny thing is that if GW didnt managed their IP in such a selfish and limited way they might be doing 10 times more money.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: