Switch Theme:

The Book of Boba Fett  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Just a few more days until The Book of Boba Fett comes out on D+.

For those currently not subbed, will this show make you sub/resub?

For those who plan to sub/resub, are you going to do so right away and watch every week or wait until some/all of the episodes are out?

Do you guys think this will be as good as Mando S1 & 2?

Anyone here not like the show and not looking forward to Book o’ Boba?

   
Made in ca
Gargantuan Gargant






I've never been subbed to begin with, if you know where to look, you can always find ways of procuring the show soon after its weekly episode release.

I feel like there's potential for it be stronger than Mando in the sense that we don't have to worry as much with regards to side quests like the weird heist episode, since Boba has a pretty clear focus in becoming the new underworldian kingpin of Tatooine/Hutt Space, it'll be much more localized in that regard. It also gives a chance to provide some much needed context of how he survived the Sarlaac Pit and just how high his ambitions are. It'll really depend on the execution and how they balance Boba being a premier bounty hunter and why he's now choosing to fill in the power vaacuum on his own versus before when he served Jabba.
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




I thought Mando was pretty mediocre (and at times outright plodding), and this is, at best, more of the same?

Beyond 'this 'memberberry was a real popular dude-guy, lets do more with him, because we like money' I don't see the point of this one.

At least let's hope there's no bait and switch from Underworld Crime to Refugee Childcare this time around.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/27 05:09:40


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
Gargantuan Gargant






Voss wrote:
I thought Mando was pretty mediocre (and at times outright plodding), and this is, at best, more of the same?

Beyond 'this 'memberberry was a real popular dude-guy, lets do more with him, because we like money' I don't see the point of this one.

At least let's hope there's no bait and switch from Underworld Crime to Refugee Childcare this time around.


How much you want to bet there's going to be an orphanage that Boba is going to end up taking care of and it's something the other criminal organizations try to target?
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

I ended up loving Mando despite some pretty deep concerns about the Baby Yoda-sploitation angle. Felt a lot better about the show after it became clear that Grogu was more than a mascot.

But, yes, I really hope there is no “but he cares about children” bull gak to try to make Boba more sympathetic. Also, Grimskull, I am torn about whether I want the backstory on him escaping the Saarlac but nonetheless am pretty certain we will get it.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I'm just concerned that this show about the criminal underworld of SW, and Boba Fett rising to the top to fill the void left by Jabba will be Disney-fied to the point where he's not really breaking the law, and not really doing anything bad, because we can't have a bad guy be the main character.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I feel like the Mandalorian ended up benefitting from having incredibly short episodes because those end up being ignored when people think of the series as a whole. There were some absolutely awful episodes. It had some really solid ones and the show as a whole was fun. My biggest criticism of that series is that it felt like a fan-made film at times.

I really doubt The Book of Boba Fett is going to be good. Sophie Thatcher's character looks like a Joan Jett transplant. That doesn't really mesh with Star Wars.

The only way we can ever solve anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy 
   
Made in ca
Gargantuan Gargant






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I'm just concerned that this show about the criminal underworld of SW, and Boba Fett rising to the top to fill the void left by Jabba will be Disney-fied to the point where he's not really breaking the law, and not really doing anything bad, because we can't have a bad guy be the main character.


Yeah, that is another area that I'm not sure Disney can really do adequately since they've already shown that they will handwave pretty inexcusable stuff (Wanda's enslavement of Westview) for the sake of them being the protagonist, and the trailer constantly showing Fett to be "collaborative" does seem to undermine him being an actual player like Maul was in enforcing his will over others with the Shadow Collective. So I'm sure they'll gloss over whatever human/alien trafficking the other guys do and Fett will only get involved in stuff like loan sharking, spice trading and "protection fees", so more Yakuza than Breaking Bad.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Mando left a dude hanging off a pole to be eaten alive by monsters.

   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






I want someone to directly ask Boba how he survived the Sarlock and I want Boba to pointedly ignore/not answer them.

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

That would be great!

   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Can't wait for Bobba to meet an ever growing extended cast of SW characters once per episode.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






A growing cast? Fool! He’s just going to meet the same people every other character meets.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 AduroT wrote:
I want someone to directly ask Boba how he survived the Sarlock and I want Boba to pointedly ignore/not answer them.


I think this would honestly be best because I don't think any given answer could ever live up to the mystery.

Treat it like Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru test, except Kirk never admits how he did it.

   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






 LordofHats wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
I want someone to directly ask Boba how he survived the Sarlock and I want Boba to pointedly ignore/not answer them.


I think this would honestly be best because I don't think any given answer could ever live up to the mystery.

Treat it like Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru test, except Kirk never admits how he did it.


Ugh. Kobayashi was one of the worst parts of the Abrams reboots.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 AduroT wrote:
 LordofHats wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
I want someone to directly ask Boba how he survived the Sarlock and I want Boba to pointedly ignore/not answer them.


I think this would honestly be best because I don't think any given answer could ever live up to the mystery.

Treat it like Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru test, except Kirk never admits how he did it.


Ugh. Kobayashi was one of the worst parts of the Abrams reboots.


A good example of how sometimes revealing the 'secret' really just kills the entire mystique, especially when the scene is dumb.

I'm generally on the side of the JJ films not being as bad as people make them out to be, but this scene was eye-roll inducing. He didn't even bother trying to hide that he cheated, which was stupid. It would have been much better for Kirk to have been more subtle (because he was in TOS and the original films) and for Spock to kind of hound him out of unproven suspicion. Instead, he made it so obvious the only reason he wasn't expelled was plot armor. Which was dumb.

But admittedly, we already knew he cheated the test before that movie was made. Kirk admits to cheating in Wrath of Khan to Savik, but they were smarter there and kept it fairly vague. He said he changed the parameters of the test to make it winnable, and we have to imagine TOS Kirk was more clever than Kelvin Kirk because Shatner got commended for ingenuity. That at least maintained the mystique of what he'd done cause we had to sit there and wonder how the feth he managed to cheat and get commended for it. Somehow, I don't think it was by making the test a joke and eating an apple while grinning like a moron.

Sometimes too much information ruins the story and there's definitely a trend these days to overload in information.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/12/27 12:09:02


   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 AduroT wrote:
 LordofHats wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
I want someone to directly ask Boba how he survived the Sarlock and I want Boba to pointedly ignore/not answer them.


I think this would honestly be best because I don't think any given answer could ever live up to the mystery.

Treat it like Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru test, except Kirk never admits how he did it.


Ugh. Kobayashi was one of the worst parts of the Abrams reboots.


Luckily Book of Boba is done by people who know how to make good Star Wars, so there's less to worry about.

On the Sarlacc, was anyone from the barge or escorts even alive to tell anyone Boba took the scenic route?

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






I don’t mind that we know that he cheated. I don’t even mind that he cheated in so obviously blatant a fashion. It makes for a good I will Never just accept an unwinnable and I will do Whatever it takes so save people kind of thing. What I hate is how no one seems to understand that he cheated. They’re just like I don’t know how he won. How did he possibly beat the unbeatable.I don’t get it.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I thought Boba Fett's method of surviving the Sarlaac in the EU was fine...

The only way we can ever solve anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

 Geifer wrote:
Luckily Book of Boba is done by people who know how to make good Star Wars, so there's less to worry about.
Honestly, this is what I am counting on ...

   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

The only explanation we need is Boba’s new personal motto: this too shall pass.

   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






I’m well up for it.

Greatly enjoyed The Mandalorian, and Boba certainly impressed in that.

As ever, I’m avoiding spoilers and reviews.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

Me too, MDG. Mando has been a bright spot.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Manchu wrote:
Mando left a dude hanging off a pole to be eaten alive by monsters.
Mando left a bad guy that betrayed him hanging to be killed by other people (or things).

That's like James Bond killing the "bad" Bond Girl any time she appears in a film; indirectly usually via an accident or someone else doing it. It lets the good guy win whilst keeping his hands clean.



This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/12/28 10:56:48


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

IMO the scene in question made Mando feel quite dark as in that situation just executing the guy seemed like it would have been more merciful.

   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






They really go out of their way to show Fett as a kinder, gentler, more down to earth crime lord. Also

Spoiler:
my hope was immediately crushed as the opening scene right out of the gate Shows you how he escaped the Pit.

 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
The how of his survival is answered in good time, as well as “what’s he been up to?”.

Love the new Tattooine Gribbly. Very reminiscent of The Kraken from Clash of the Titans. Seems Matt Berry is in it, but I didn’t realise until the credits. Guess I’ll be watching it again! I reckon he’s the Aqualish visitor to Boba’s Palace, as his voice and face are pretty distinctive.

Also quite sparing with the dialogue, which is kinda fitting.

Did I see 4-LOM? We definitely saw 8D8, and we already saw a reprogrammed 9D9 in Mando.

Jonesing for chapter 2 now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/29 10:38:13


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in gb
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
Seems Matt Berry is in it, but I didn’t realise until the credits. Guess I’ll be watching it again! I reckon he’s the Aqualish visitor to Boba’s Palace, as his voice and face are pretty distinctive.


Spoiler:
He was the droid in the throne room when they were receiving the tributes. I clocked it fairly quickly, as you say his voice is VERY distinctive!

 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






Huh. I need to pay more attention!

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

The Twi'lek bar owner is played by Jennifer Beals (she was also the sheriff in the DC "Swamp thing" series that got canned after 1 season - oh and got her big role in "Flashdance").

It's a regular role (this was reported in Variety a few months ago) not just a one-off.

I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: