Switch Theme:

Age of Sigmar News & Rumors. p323 new FAQS  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






I was hyped for this release, but theyre atrocious. The less said about these abominations the better

lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






MegaDombro wrote:
 Crimson wrote:
MegaDombro wrote:
Wow the new undead army is silly looking. Tomb King got squatted for this?

These look about seven hundred times more interesting than the Tomb Kings.

To each their own. The more recent TK kits like Sphinx and Necropolis Knights had much more fantasy appeal. These are very mundane. If they appeal to you, happy collecting I guess.

I mean, sure I can get everyone liking them, but these look 'mundane' and 'not fantasy' enough for you... Like how the feth? If you disliked them for being too weird and not historically inspired enough I would disagree with you but get it, but mundane...

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





I was worried for a moment. Worried that I was going to want to add on to my tomb kings.

Having seen those models, I'm giving a hard pass. Those just don't do it for me at all.

Those skeletons look like a hybrid between a sylvaneth and a necron.

And look at the leader. That dude next to him in the black... straight up Trap-Jaw from masters of the universe.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/08/29 01:28:33


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Tacoma, WA

I hate to chime in and just pile on, because, you know, we could just move on with our lives...

but wow, these are maybe the lamest range of models to come out in... I don't even know. Terrible. Not just GW, but of anyone that has ever produced models in the past decade or two

The hardest of passes
   
Made in ca
Executing Exarch




shinros wrote:
Eumerin wrote:
shinros wrote:


Yup same here, Asian styled, undead constructs? Sign me right up, also this army is for people who want an elite force from the look of things.


They're not Asian styled. That much is pretty clear now that we can actually see them.

They're not Gothic, which is a welcome change. That was getting tiresome. But they're not Asian-influenced.


Er what? The four-armed constructs with multiple faces? The helms of the riders? The mortarch himself and the attendants? The Mongolian, Samurai and perhaps hindu influences are pretty clear to me. Hell the bloody accent of the Mortarch.


This is an example of Mongolian heavy cavalry.

https://fireforge-games.com/mongol-horde/281-mongol-heavy-cavalry-command.html

Aside from the fact that some of the new miniatures have mounts and swords (that aren't styled the same), I'm not really seeing much of a similarity there. The armor really seems more like "exotic fantasy soldiers from a distant land" style, as opposed to any geographical area that matches up even loosely with the real world.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Hmmm. I feel like I am sensing disappointment that these guys are not the Tomb Kings or Tomb Khans Folks expected. Perhaps there was too much reading into the voice actor’s accent from the “Tithe” videos?

But really looking these guys up and down they MOST fit with NAGASH and the MORGHASTS. I feel like this is the culmination of His sculpt from the End Times.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/29 01:38:58


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Tacoma, WA

I'm actually completely indifferent to Tomb Kings.

The models are goofy looking. They're buffed up skeletons with codpieces, pointy hats, and dumb grins. The Mortarch looks like a guy in a green man suit.

It looks like the sculptor took assets from other models, mashed them together, and rounded some edges to make them look "boney"



   
Made in au
Tunneling Trygon





The City of Nothing

Cataphract wrote:
Hmmm. I feel like I am sensing disappointment that these guys are not the Tomb Kings or Tomb Khans Folks expected. Perhaps there was too much reading into the voice actor’s accent from the “Tithe” videos?

But really looking these guys up and down they MOST fit with NAGASH and the MORGHASTS. I feel like this is the culmination of His sculpt from the End Times.


Guilty of that, to an extent. In hindsight, knowing these guys were going to be styled after the Morghasts should have tempered my expectations quite heavily, but I suppose I was still hoping for something more akin to Deathrattle getting an expansion like Nighthaunt did. They haven't shown off the full range yet, so there might be a bit more to it that I like.

But that said, the actual sculpts are more the problem than the designs themselves. The way the troops look compared to the black samurai by the Mortarch's side. I don't think any aesthetic would salvage such a goofy appearance, Kings, Khans, or otherwise.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Savage Minotaur




Baltimore, Maryland

Firmly on the fence with these dudes. I’ll need to see a fun play style or killer rules if I even think about buying into them.

Well, the silver lining with this reveal is that Free Cities, Ogor and the Orruk book are closer!

"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning." - The Emperor, from The Outcast Dead.
"Tell your gods we are coming for them, and that their realms will burn as ours did." -Thostos Bladestorm
 
   
Made in us
Shrieking Traitor Sentinel Pilot




Burbank, CA

Eumerin wrote:
shinros wrote:
Eumerin wrote:
shinros wrote:


Yup same here, Asian styled, undead constructs? Sign me right up, also this army is for people who want an elite force from the look of things.


They're not Asian styled. That much is pretty clear now that we can actually see them.

They're not Gothic, which is a welcome change. That was getting tiresome. But they're not Asian-influenced.


Er what? The four-armed constructs with multiple faces? The helms of the riders? The mortarch himself and the attendants? The Mongolian, Samurai and perhaps hindu influences are pretty clear to me. Hell the bloody accent of the Mortarch.


This is an example of Mongolian heavy cavalry.

https://fireforge-games.com/mongol-horde/281-mongol-heavy-cavalry-command.html

Aside from the fact that some of the new miniatures have mounts and swords (that aren't styled the same), I'm not really seeing much of a similarity there. The armor really seems more like "exotic fantasy soldiers from a distant land" style, as opposed to any geographical area that matches up even loosely with the real world.



I think you're reading 'styled or inspired by' as 'specifically patterned after'. These figures definitely have ancient Asian design elements too them. It's not as obvious as the Egyptian look of the Tomb Kings, the Aztec/Inca Look of Lizard men, or the American Civil war look of the Maggotkin , but it's there. The artists definitely were inspired by many different things from ancient culture, and people shouldn't be corrected for seeing that. Maybe they can't articulate specific things to what looks like what real life example, probably because the artists did a good job of blending elements together. I think the days of armies being a full take of ancient cultures are over (or 'LEGENDS', as they seem to want to call it...). Which doesn't bode well for them making more Babylonian themed chaos dwarfs.

I think they're cool. Someone mentioned they are sort of Nagash's take on Stormcast, which is pretty cool. I'm wondering if there's anything else for them that we haven't seen yet?

, , , , , , ,

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut






The finger bone's connected to the hand bone,
The hand bone's connected to the arm bone,
The arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone,
Now shake dem skeleton bones!

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around
Now shake dem skeleton bones!


Is all I can think of. What an awful faction design.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






So that’s what happens if Tyranids manage to eat Necrons we get Nidcrons.

I’m pretty sure you can see actual nid legs on the catapult they look like a quick c&p job.

I’m having flashbacks to the story about the original Nagash model only we have a whole range this time.

They are the most “special” models GW have released since the pumbagor.

Your last point is especially laughable and comical, because not only the 7th ed Valkyrie shown dumber things (like being able to throw the troopers without parachutes out of its hatches, no harm done) - Irbis 
   
Made in ca
Executing Exarch




 skullking wrote:

I think you're reading 'styled or inspired by' as 'specifically patterned after'. These figures definitely have ancient Asian design elements too them. It's not as obvious as the Egyptian look of the Tomb Kings, the Aztec/Inca Look of Lizard men, or the American Civil war look of the Maggotkin , but it's there. The artists definitely were inspired by many different things from ancient culture, and people shouldn't be corrected for seeing that. Maybe they can't articulate specific things to what looks like what real life example, probably because the artists did a good job of blending elements together. I think the days of armies being a full take of ancient cultures are over (or 'LEGENDS', as they seem to want to call it...). Which doesn't bode well for them making more Babylonian themed chaos dwarfs.


With one exception, there's nothing there. Best I can figure is that the early mention of "Mongolian" as an inspiration before the unveiling has caused people to see Asian influences in it. But in response to those comments, I posted some Mongolians to show that there was no similarity. If they were influenced, then I'd expect to see some similarities. But there's nothing to work with. For that matter, the big guy in the middle of the platform looks like nothing so much as one of the Dredge characters from The Banner Saga with less clothes. And The Banner Saga wasn't an Asian-influenced game. The shields definitely aren't Mongolian or Chinese (they do look like a design I've seen and can't place, but I'm pretty sure that it's a fictional one). The helmets look like German helmets from World War 2, with impractical ornamentation added in typical GW fashion.

Now as I said, there is an exception. The guy standing on the edge of the platform is holding a sword that could pass for a katana. But that's it.

To be frank, the thing that most comes to mind when I look at the gear on these guys is the Scorpion Harness from Final Fantasy XI. And while that game is made by a Japanese company, the gear was Western in appearance and style (with exceptions for the explicitly Japanese-inspired jobs of Samurai and Ninja).

I'll also note that the more I look at the face of the foot soldier at the bottom of the very first picture, the more I'm reminded of the very very old goofy Chaos Androids that GW had waaaaaaaay back during the Rogue Trader era. I know it's not really a good fit. But I can't shake the image.
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

Eumerin wrote:
 skullking wrote:

I think you're reading 'styled or inspired by' as 'specifically patterned after'. These figures definitely have ancient Asian design elements too them. It's not as obvious as the Egyptian look of the Tomb Kings, the Aztec/Inca Look of Lizard men, or the American Civil war look of the Maggotkin , but it's there. The artists definitely were inspired by many different things from ancient culture, and people shouldn't be corrected for seeing that. Maybe they can't articulate specific things to what looks like what real life example, probably because the artists did a good job of blending elements together. I think the days of armies being a full take of ancient cultures are over (or 'LEGENDS', as they seem to want to call it...). Which doesn't bode well for them making more Babylonian themed chaos dwarfs.


With one exception, there's nothing there. Best I can figure is that the early mention of "Mongolian" as an inspiration before the unveiling has caused people to see Asian influences in it. But in response to those comments, I posted some Mongolians to show that there was no similarity. If they were influenced, then I'd expect to see some similarities. But there's nothing to work with. For that matter, the big guy in the middle of the platform looks like nothing so much as one of the Dredge characters from The Banner Saga with less clothes. And The Banner Saga wasn't an Asian-influenced game. The shields definitely aren't Mongolian or Chinese (they do look like a design I've seen and can't place, but I'm pretty sure that it's a fictional one). The helmets look like German helmets from World War 2, with impractical ornamentation added in typical GW fashion.

Now as I said, there is an exception. The guy standing on the edge of the platform is holding a sword that could pass for a katana. But that's it.

To be frank, the thing that most comes to mind when I look at the gear on these guys is the Scorpion Harness from Final Fantasy XI. And while that game is made by a Japanese company, the gear was Western in appearance and style (with exceptions for the explicitly Japanese-inspired jobs of Samurai and Ninja).

I'll also note that the more I look at the face of the foot soldier at the bottom of the very first picture, the more I'm reminded of the very very old goofy Chaos Androids that GW had waaaaaaaay back during the Rogue Trader era. I know it's not really a good fit. But I can't shake the image.


The guy with the Katana is very Samurai in general, not just his sword.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Eumerin wrote:
 skullking wrote:

I think you're reading 'styled or inspired by' as 'specifically patterned after'. These figures definitely have ancient Asian design elements too them. It's not as obvious as the Egyptian look of the Tomb Kings, the Aztec/Inca Look of Lizard men, or the American Civil war look of the Maggotkin , but it's there. The artists definitely were inspired by many different things from ancient culture, and people shouldn't be corrected for seeing that. Maybe they can't articulate specific things to what looks like what real life example, probably because the artists did a good job of blending elements together. I think the days of armies being a full take of ancient cultures are over (or 'LEGENDS', as they seem to want to call it...). Which doesn't bode well for them making more Babylonian themed chaos dwarfs.


With one exception, there's nothing there. Best I can figure is that the early mention of "Mongolian" as an inspiration before the unveiling has caused people to see Asian influences in it. But in response to those comments, I posted some Mongolians to show that there was no similarity.


You're right, not Mongolian but clearly more Japanese on the Calvary can't really say anything else is overly Asian outside of the 3 headed design which is a common in various eastern cultures mythology. Skullking is right. GW wants to move away from direct ancient civ copies in their game and come up with things that are more visually unique as they're more copyrightable (duh) but also make them stand out from all the more generic fantasy stuff out there as well as the armies indented to copy old WFB stuff. Pretty much both of those were the big points of AoS reason for existing.
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





I feel like these painted up to look like they were made of wood might make them really cool. Otherwise I can see a few useful bits and bops here or there for conversions, but not much otherwise that interests me.

   
Made in au
Noise Marine Terminator with Sonic Blaster




Melbourne

SeanDrake wrote:
So that’s what happens if Tyranids manage to eat Necrons we get Nidcrons.

I’m pretty sure you can see actual nid legs on the catapult they look like a quick c&p job.

I’m having flashbacks to the story about the original Nagash model only we have a whole range this time.

They are the most “special” models GW have released since the pumbagor.


Necrons + Nids was eactly what I thought when I saw the reveal.

Now we know why Tyranids avoid Necron Tomb Worlds..............

Ex-Mantic Rules Committees: Kings of War, Warpath
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!" 
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut



Vihti, Finland

… Somehow I think I both dislike and like these new models. At the very least, it is an "elite" undead faction.

At the very least these ain't going to replace existing skeletons.
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






I’m loving them.

Some cues taken from Tomb Kings, and I love the concept of a Construct Army.

The overall aesthetic screams Harryhausen to me, and I really like that.

More to be shown off as well, but as to what and when? They didn’t say.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in au
Fixture of Dakka





Melbourne

Sotahullu wrote:
… Somehow I think I both dislike and like these new models.
I find myself being of the exact same mind. It's quite perplexing.

My dislike for them outweighs my liking though and I can't see myself collecting them.

My Blogs -
Dark Angels - Currently Lord of the Rings Rohirrim!
Terrain - Currently Dead
My Instagram - I don't post much. 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

Love the catapult. Thankfully don't like the rest. Should be safe until they reimagine Tyrion and Teclis' forces.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in fi
Stubborn Eternal Guard





Had expected.. better.
Skeletons enclosed in bone-armour that's not really made from individual bones, but a bone-type material?
Skulls that look angry...
And I really don't even want to imagine how Katakros is a sensible, practical model with a pricetag any mortal will be willing to spend.
Ah well. All money that can be spent on other things instead. Preciously little of which is produced under the AoS banner...
Poor Tomb Kings. To be replaced by this. Even with a unit called Necropolis Stalkers. Just waiting for Sepulchral Knights now.

Ok, aside from the guy on the left here. He's looking good. Shame the rest of the range doesn't match.
It's not that I wanted or expected them all to be undead samurai, it's just that that's a design that works so much better than what they've gone for.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Love em, don't like the paint scheme. Samurai dude has a nice scheme.
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







I guess there are "fine" but nothing exciting. Literally bone versions of stormcast eternals in both fluff and sculpts.

4 armed dudes look like the first plastic Tyranid Warriors.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Warp-Screaming Noise Marine





Gurnee, IL

Nope. I'm not feeling theses. They look like the should be descending Snake Mountain to attack Castle Grayskull. It might just be the color palette though. They look very 1980's Saturday morning cartoons to me.

"Fear the cute ones." 
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





Solid yuck. These guys look goofy as hell. A poster in another thread (Stonehorse?) said they reminded him He-man and now all I can think of is Skeletor when I look at them......they are that silly. They look like they belong in Mummies Alive! not AoS.

Which is a shame, as I was expecting some awesome skeletons with a unique aesthetic and bone constructs that are actually made of bones......not chitin posing as bones? Or some bone composite that isn't actually a bone?

A shame because a few parts of the range show promise (The Samurai is first that comes to mind).

At least GW tried something unique?


 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




I like them. They went for something more interesting than just more reanimated skellies, and while some of it, like the heads on the basic troops,look a little goofy, so does any skeleton head, they can't help smiling.

Anyway, looking forward to these, unless they play like pants ofc.
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Love the catapult and the Mortarch - although I would agree it would be cool for the courtiers to be able to used on their own - but it does not look like they have bases.....

I do quite like Nagash's Stormcast.

Interested to read how the other Mortarchs react to them......

Having spent a few hundred on the recentnot tomb kings kickstarter - these should mix nicely (and the latter are good proxies for those who don;t like 'em )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/29 07:57:53


I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Fighter Ace





england

An absolute load of absolute trash.
Absolutely.
No need to say more as it's already been said.
Complete fail.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Unmaker, Scion of Tzeentch





Southern New Hampshire

Given how much hype GW tried to put into their release, this whole reveal feels very underwhelming. I wasn't expecting Tomb Kings - anyone who was is just delusional - but I wasn't expecting this either.

Not impressed.

"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons." - Chief Engineer Boris Krauss of Nuln

AoS - Fires of Change : "The Everchosen stole my destiny. Soon, I shall return the favor." The Unmaker, Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch

Thousand Sons
Renegade Astartes The Scourged
Daemons

DR:80S++G++M--B+IPwhfb01#+D+++A+++/fWD268R++T(D)DM+++
 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: