Switch Theme:

8th Ed. Grey Knight Tactica Discussion - Mathhammer (Data To be Revised)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Looking for the Rest of the II Legion

Youn wrote:
So, generally on Nemesis Dreadknights. You are going to have to give them 1 psychic power. Well, Gate of Infinity seems to be the most useful. And since, most people run 2 NDKs. That means both teleport in on turn one. They will attempt to charge if possible.

Once they kill their current target if they cannot move to the next target they should gate to another location on the board. You will only b e able to gate one per turn. But that seems to be fine, most of the time.


Sounds like a good way to throw off the enemy fast; moving all over the board with a giant engine of destruction. Now I just need a second dreadknight....

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest, to children ardent for some desperate glory the old lie, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori."
Grey Knights ~ 3500, Fully Painted =][= Space Wolves ~ 4000, Fully Painted =][= Prosperine Exiles ~ WIP =][= Altian Wraiths ~ WIP
 
   
Made in au
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





Sunshine Coast

Regular units can't use Dreadknight weapons.

In the beginning part of the GK rules just near the Psychic powers it has a box which say what melee weapons you can use.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Looking for the Rest of the II Legion

 Sinji wrote:
Regular units can't use Dreadknight weapons.

In the beginning part of the GK rules just near the Psychic powers it has a box which say what melee weapons you can use.


What a glorious oversight this could have been...

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest, to children ardent for some desperate glory the old lie, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori."
Grey Knights ~ 3500, Fully Painted =][= Space Wolves ~ 4000, Fully Painted =][= Prosperine Exiles ~ WIP =][= Altian Wraiths ~ WIP
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Well, played a game tonight with the following:

Spoiler:

++ Vanguard Detachment (Grey Knights) [55 PL, 1052pts] ++
+ HQ +
Castellan Crowe [7 PL, 125pts]: Purge Soul

+ Troops +
Strike Squad [7 PL, 159pts]: Gate of Infinity
. 3x Grey Knight (Daemon Hammer): 3x Nemesis Daemon Hammer, 3x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight (Psilencer): Psilencer
. Grey Knight Justicar: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm bolter

+ Elites +
Purifier Squad [9 PL, 149pts]: Hammerhand
. Knight of the Flame: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
. 2x Purifier (Psycannon): 2x Psycannon
. 2x Purifier (Sword): 2x Storm Bolter

Purifier Squad [9 PL, 149pts]: Hammerhand
. Knight of the Flame: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
. 2x Purifier (Psycannon): 2x Psycannon
. 2x Purifier (Sword): 2x Storm Bolter
Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 159pts]: Dreadnoujght Combat Weapon (storm bolter), Multi-melta, Hammerhand

+ Flyer +
Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 311pts]: 2x Hurricane Bolter, 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannon, Twin multi-melta

++ Outrider Detachment (Space Marines) [43 PL, 796pts] ++
+ HQ +
Librarian [7 PL, 135pts]: 3) Null Zone, Force sword, Jump Pack, Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +
Assault Squad [6 PL, 109pts]: Jump Pack
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Flamer

Land Speeders [6 PL, 111pts]
. Land Speeder: Assault cannon, Heavy bolter
Land Speeders [6 PL, 111pts]
. Land Speeder: Assault cannon, Heavy bolter

+ Flyer +
Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 165pts]: Twin assault cannon, Two Heavy Bolters
Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 165pts]: Twin assault cannon, Two Heavy Bolters
++ Total: [98 PL, 1848pts] ++



This against an optimized Guard force. I managed to kill about 100+ guardsman but attrition pretty much eventually managed to win out. It is very hard to kill your way through 150 guardsman with as much plasma or lascannons as they could take.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/12 04:03:38


 
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




What do you guys think of Paladins in 8th? How would you be looking to use them?
   
Made in us
Devestating Grey Knight Dreadknight







I honestly love Paladins, I think it is really odd they aren't 4 wounds OR Fearless though.

For the same amount of points you get more wounds out of Paladins and better leadership. I don't see much reason to take Terminators over Paladins.

They're a solid choice now within the codex now.

 SHUPPET wrote:

wtf is this buddhist monk ascendant martial dice arts crap lol
 
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




 Quickjager wrote:
I honestly love Paladins, I think it is really odd they aren't 4 wounds OR Fearless though.

For the same amount of points you get more wounds out of Paladins and better leadership. I don't see much reason to take Terminators over Paladins.

They're a solid choice now within the codex now.


I am having a tough time deciding between Grey Knights and Deathwing (DA) as a new Warhammer army. Terminators are a big factor, good to hear Paladins are looking promising though! What load outs are looking the best?
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




Gibs55 wrote:
 Quickjager wrote:
I honestly love Paladins, I think it is really odd they aren't 4 wounds OR Fearless though.

For the same amount of points you get more wounds out of Paladins and better leadership. I don't see much reason to take Terminators over Paladins.

They're a solid choice now within the codex now.


I am having a tough time deciding between Grey Knights and Deathwing (DA) as a new Warhammer army. Terminators are a big factor, good to hear Paladins are looking promising though! What load outs are looking the best?


So far mostly Falchions with a hammer or 2 and double Psilencers or Psilencer/Incinerator.

Paladins do look great. I'm hoping to try a list soon where I made a Batallion Detachment using Custodes for the troops and Paladins for the elites.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Youn wrote:
Well, played a game tonight with the following:

Spoiler:

++ Vanguard Detachment (Grey Knights) [55 PL, 1052pts] ++
+ HQ +
Castellan Crowe [7 PL, 125pts]: Purge Soul

+ Troops +
Strike Squad [7 PL, 159pts]: Gate of Infinity
. 3x Grey Knight (Daemon Hammer): 3x Nemesis Daemon Hammer, 3x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight (Psilencer): Psilencer
. Grey Knight Justicar: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm bolter

+ Elites +
Purifier Squad [9 PL, 149pts]: Hammerhand
. Knight of the Flame: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
. 2x Purifier (Psycannon): 2x Psycannon
. 2x Purifier (Sword): 2x Storm Bolter

Purifier Squad [9 PL, 149pts]: Hammerhand
. Knight of the Flame: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
. 2x Purifier (Psycannon): 2x Psycannon
. 2x Purifier (Sword): 2x Storm Bolter
Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 159pts]: Dreadnoujght Combat Weapon (storm bolter), Multi-melta, Hammerhand

+ Flyer +
Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 311pts]: 2x Hurricane Bolter, 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannon, Twin multi-melta

++ Outrider Detachment (Space Marines) [43 PL, 796pts] ++
+ HQ +
Librarian [7 PL, 135pts]: 3) Null Zone, Force sword, Jump Pack, Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +
Assault Squad [6 PL, 109pts]: Jump Pack
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Flamer

Land Speeders [6 PL, 111pts]
. Land Speeder: Assault cannon, Heavy bolter
Land Speeders [6 PL, 111pts]
. Land Speeder: Assault cannon, Heavy bolter

+ Flyer +
Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 165pts]: Twin assault cannon, Two Heavy Bolters
Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 165pts]: Twin assault cannon, Two Heavy Bolters
++ Total: [98 PL, 1848pts] ++



This against an optimized Guard force. I managed to kill about 100+ guardsman but attrition pretty much eventually managed to win out. It is very hard to kill your way through 150 guardsman with as much plasma or lascannons as they could take.


massive amounts of shooting from the IG. Thing is... need to pick on units outside of Orders range if possible and tossing those flyers of yours into the Blobs if he had them. They can pull out of combat if they want...but only use 1 order to shoot again. Conscripts suck at killing things.

Also depending on mission... Its sometimes best to play cagey with them and not engage at all... let them come to you.

 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




So, I think later in the week I am going to try the following:

Spoiler:


++ Supreme Command Detachment (Grey Knights) [47 PL, 842pts] ++
+ HQ +
Grand Master Voldus [10 PL, 190pts]
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Lord Kaldor Draigo [12 PL, 240pts]

+ Elites +
Apothecary [7 PL, 92pts]: 2x Nemesis Falchion, Storm bolter

++ Auxiliary Support Detachment (Grey Knights) [15 PL, 326pts] ++
+ Flyer +
Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 326pts]: 2x Hurricane Bolter, 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Lascannon, Twin multi-melta

++ Supreme Command Detachment (Grey Knights) [44 PL, 797pts] ++

+ HQ +
Brother Captain Stern [8 PL, 157pts]: Nemesis Force Halbred
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter

++ Total: [106 PL, 1965pts] ++




I simply have to know if optimizing smite in a Deathstar is viable.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






11 Models...heh

 
   
Made in us
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




Are you factoring in the cost of the missile launchers on the stromraven?

This was something I had been missing for a while, and had noticed on a lot of online lists - extra 42 points per boat.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Was using battlescribe they may not have it correct. Let's see...

Stormraven - [172]
2x Hurricane Bolter [4 each = 8]
2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher [21 each = 42]
Twin Lascannon [50]
Twin multi-melta [54]

172+8+42+50+54=326
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Looking for the Rest of the II Legion

I think I'll just stick to Twin Assault cannons for my Stormraven.... So much dakka.

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest, to children ardent for some desperate glory the old lie, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori."
Grey Knights ~ 3500, Fully Painted =][= Space Wolves ~ 4000, Fully Painted =][= Prosperine Exiles ~ WIP =][= Altian Wraiths ~ WIP
 
   
Made in nz
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




Ah yep you've got it. not sure what I had wrong earlier...

How do you find Stormravens in terms of durability? Would you expect a single one to make it across the table against most armies?

Also, might I recommend 1 or 2 acolytes to absorb the crash n burn results?
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




So I've been list building and I've got some points to spare and I need another HQ for my force organization. I'm thinking I want Draigo or Voldus, but I can't decide on which one to run with.

What do you all think? The way I view it, Draigo gives you -1 AP, +1 Wound, a Grey Knight aura, +1 invulnerable and -1 Psychic power compared to Voldus for 50 points more. If I took Voldus I could probably spend those extra 50 points on some bling for the rest of the army, but I'm not sure which one of them is really more worth it.

I know it can depend on army comp to some extent, so I can say almost all my lists are involving TEQ's, Paladins, Brotherhood Champions and then some support drawn from another Imperium faction (Deathwatch, AdMech, Inq. primarily).
   
Made in ca
Been Around the Block



Canada

Youn wrote:
So, I think later in the week I am going to try the following:

Spoiler:


++ Supreme Command Detachment (Grey Knights) [47 PL, 842pts] ++
+ HQ +
Grand Master Voldus [10 PL, 190pts]
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Lord Kaldor Draigo [12 PL, 240pts]

+ Elites +
Apothecary [7 PL, 92pts]: 2x Nemesis Falchion, Storm bolter

++ Auxiliary Support Detachment (Grey Knights) [15 PL, 326pts] ++
+ Flyer +
Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 326pts]: 2x Hurricane Bolter, 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Lascannon, Twin multi-melta

++ Supreme Command Detachment (Grey Knights) [44 PL, 797pts] ++

+ HQ +
Brother Captain Stern [8 PL, 157pts]: Nemesis Force Halbred
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
Librairian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 160pts]: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter

++ Total: [106 PL, 1965pts] ++




I simply have to know if optimizing smite in a Deathstar is viable.


Are some models deepstriking? I think with termy armor the limbs take two spots in the raven. If the raven doesn't die first turn you may be able to get smites off but it's basically the only target haha.
   
Made in au
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





Sunshine Coast

How is everyone running their NDK's?

This is what I have been going with.

Nemesis Dreadknight (130)
-Dreadknight Teleporter (10)
-Dreadfist (25)
-Nemesis Daemon Hammer (15)
-Heavy Psycannon (30)
-Gatling Psilencer (20)
230pts

I like that the hammer gives you D6 damage that can't drop below 3.
   
Made in us
Devestating Grey Knight Dreadknight







Barebones with a hammer. Their job is to walk the Land Raider up the table, the biggest issue is if big combat gribbly tries to block me or a bunch of small models try to surround the Land Raider.

 SHUPPET wrote:

wtf is this buddhist monk ascendant martial dice arts crap lol
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




PUFNSTUF wrote:

Are some models deepstriking? I think with termy armor the limbs take two spots in the raven. If the raven doesn't die first turn you may be able to get smites off but it's basically the only target haha.


4 would have to deep strike. I also noticed technically. if Stern and librarians set up at the back of the table the librarians get a 36" range smite. You could use the raven to go after whatever lascannons on the other side then fight a war were your opponent has to come after you while you sit in cover.
   
Made in us
Rampaging Carnifex





Fredericksburg, Virginia

I don't know if this has been realized fully but stormbolters having 4 shots each at 12" is awesome!

I have a 2000 list now with 20 purifiers, Crowe, a Paladin ancient inside 2 stormravens. Then Voldus and 4 Paladins (Who I'm treating as Mordrak and his Ghost Knights) deep strike in.

This fits into a spearhead formation (or whatever the elite one is called) and with only 4 units to deploy (2 stormravens and 2 reserves) you're going to get 1st turn to hail bullets at the opponent with stormravens while moving them into position to dump their load next turn. Then continue to hail bullets from stormbolters, smites and psycannons.

I don't know if it's competitive, but it sure would be fun to see it play out against waves of ork boyz as you pump about 60 shots from stormbolters, 32 psycannon shots, 48 hurricane bolter shots, 24 assault cannon shots and 4 multi melts shots all from an alpha strike at close range. And that doesnt even factor in the smites or melee prowess of your infantry.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 2017/06/14 14:36:36


6000+
2500
2000
2000
 
   
Made in ca
Been Around the Block



Canada

Youn wrote:
PUFNSTUF wrote:

Are some models deepstriking? I think with termy armor the limbs take two spots in the raven. If the raven doesn't die first turn you may be able to get smites off but it's basically the only target haha.


4 would have to deep strike. I also noticed technically. if Stern and librarians set up at the back of the table the librarians get a 36" range smite. You could use the raven to go after whatever lascannons on the other side then fight a war were your opponent has to come after you while you sit in cover.


I didn't even think of Stern's buff working for regular librarians. Does that work? If so that's pretty cool.
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




PUFNSTUF wrote:
Youn wrote:
PUFNSTUF wrote:

Are some models deepstriking? I think with termy armor the limbs take two spots in the raven. If the raven doesn't die first turn you may be able to get smites off but it's basically the only target haha.


4 would have to deep strike. I also noticed technically. if Stern and librarians set up at the back of the table the librarians get a 36" range smite. You could use the raven to go after whatever lascannons on the other side then fight a war were your opponent has to come after you while you sit in cover.


I didn't even think of Stern's buff working for regular librarians. Does that work? If so that's pretty cool.


Stern's buff only works for Grey Knight Units. Generic Brother-Captain's give the same buff too. Sadly, even Grey Knight Librarians seem to get the neutered Smite which ruins it for us in my eyes.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced Inquisitorial Acolyte




United States

So I've been reading and listing new armies and I have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to run by you all and get some feedback.

#1 incinerators on interceptors now worthless? interceptors can deepstrike 9" away from enemy units, but incinerators only have a range of 8" which means that they don't get to use them when they deepstrike. I'm thinking that psylincers or maybe psycannons are of more use for our mobile counter charge units

#2 purgation squads with 4 incinerators? If I read the rule correctly it says that assault weapons can be fired even if a unit has advanced that turn. wouldn't that mean that we now have the opportunity to run a fast killy imperial burna boy squad full of incinerators? with good positioning to keep them from getting shot off the table it seems that this squad could do some serious work harassing units much bigger than it and nobody is going to want to eat that much overwatch trying to tie them up in close combat.

#3 halberds or swords? my first inclination is to pick halberds, that extra strength means we're wounding on 3s most of the time as opposed to 4s, but is the extra -1ap a better deal? whats the mathhammer on the breakdown of that?
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




 Renesco P. Blue wrote:
So I've been reading and listing new armies and I have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to run by you all and get some feedback.

#1 incinerators on interceptors now worthless? interceptors can deepstrike 9" away from enemy units, but incinerators only have a range of 8" which means that they don't get to use them when they deepstrike. I'm thinking that psylincers or maybe psycannons are of more use for our mobile counter charge units

#2 purgation squads with 4 incinerators? If I read the rule correctly it says that assault weapons can be fired even if a unit has advanced that turn. wouldn't that mean that we now have the opportunity to run a fast killy imperial burna boy squad full of incinerators? with good positioning to keep them from getting shot off the table it seems that this squad could do some serious work harassing units much bigger than it and nobody is going to want to eat that much overwatch trying to tie them up in close combat.

#3 halberds or swords? my first inclination is to pick halberds, that extra strength means we're wounding on 3s most of the time as opposed to 4s, but is the extra -1ap a better deal? whats the mathhammer on the breakdown of that?


For #3: I don't have a link to it, but a poster previously did an excel sheet of melee weapons and the swords were basically always better than the axes/staves/Halberds except in niche circumstances.

For #1: I think I agree. Sadly, Interceptors get -1 to hit if they Shunt and Shoot with Psilencers or Psycannons too. The Dreadknight Incinerator is still good though since it's 12".

For #2: No Opinion because I hate using vehicles, sorry I've got no feedback!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/14 18:05:32


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Audustum wrote:

Stern's buff only works for Grey Knight Units. Generic Brother-Captain's give the same buff too. Sadly, even Grey Knight Librarians seem to get the neutered Smite which ruins it for us in my eyes.


Reread the section on Grey Knights.


It says:

Grey Knight Librarian in Terminator Armor 2, 3

1 = Rite of Banishment
2 = Armed with Frag and Krak grenades. Also a Nemesis Force staff but may switch that out.
3 = Armed with Psyk-out grenades.


So, his Chapter is GREY KNIGHT and Sterns buff would work on him. And he lacks note 1 which gives him Rites of Banishment.This means a librarian is a Grey knight and has an 18" range. With Stern he would have a 36" range.
   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight




Youn wrote:
Audustum wrote:

Stern's buff only works for Grey Knight Units. Generic Brother-Captain's give the same buff too. Sadly, even Grey Knight Librarians seem to get the neutered Smite which ruins it for us in my eyes.


Reread the section on Grey Knights.


It says:

Grey Knight Librarian in Terminator Armor 2, 3

1 = Rite of Banishment
2 = Armed with Frag and Krak grenades. Also a Nemesis Force staff but may switch that out.
3 = Armed with Psyk-out grenades.


So, his Chapter is GREY KNIGHT and Sterns buff would work on him. And he lacks note 1 which gives him Rites of Banishment.This means a librarian is a Grey knight and has an 18" range. With Stern he would have a 36" range.


That appears to be correct for the moment, but I highly it's intentional and will probably be corrected when we get a full Codex. Much like our Librarians currently being able to take Storm Shields.
   
Made in nl
Fresh-Faced New User




 Renesco P. Blue wrote:
So I've been reading and listing new armies and I have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to run by you all and get some feedback.

*snip*

#3 halberds or swords? my first inclination is to pick halberds, that extra strength means we're wounding on 3s most of the time as opposed to 4s, but is the extra -1ap a better deal? whats the mathhammer on the breakdown of that?


The math says falchions are your best melee weapons, some dude did a bunch of the math in this doc for melee over at bolter and chainsword
   
Made in nz
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




Audustum wrote:


That appears to be correct for the moment, but I highly it's intentional and will probably be corrected when we get a full Codex. Much like our Librarians currently being able to take Storm Shields.


I think that's what they intended, keeping the style of Librarian psychic might separate from the rank and file Grey Knight abilities. I mean, if there was any unit they would pay particular attention as to who was given rites of banishment or not, surely it would be the Librarian, pretty significant difference for him.

On a related note, unless I was going for a BroCaptain buff I would consider taking a generic SM Librarian instead of a GK one. The Librarius powers affect ADEPTUS ASTARTES models, and I think null zone is too good of a power to pass up for the way Grey Knights play.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Audustum wrote:

That appears to be correct for the moment, but I highly it's intentional and will probably be corrected when we get a full Codex. Much like our Librarians currently being able to take Storm Shields.


Yes, that may be true. But for the next year or so, We are probably playing with this Index. So, unless a FAQ comes out that prevents it. Feel free to use Stern with a Librarian for a 36" range.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: