Switch Theme:

8th Edition Space Wolf First Impressions: Intercessor Squad (Warning, some Walls of Text)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard

Are Wolf Guard Terminators the shootiest TDA units for any Space Marine army? I really like Terminators and would like to make them a part of my (soon to be) Marine army, and it looks to me that TDA Wolf Guards taking all combi-weapons (maybe one with Assault Cannon) and dropping in with Logan in TDA could potentially drop nearly any unit in the game in a brutal alpha strike, then also be really powerful melee combatants with their Power Fists.

Are there any other TDA units in the game that can provide that level of surprise firepower and not die immediately afterwards? Or even Jump Pack units (not really a fan of Drop Pods, interested in units that can appear on their own)?

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Requizen wrote:
Are Wolf Guard Terminators the shootiest TDA units for any Space Marine army? I really like Terminators and would like to make them a part of my (soon to be) Marine army, and it looks to me that TDA Wolf Guards taking all combi-weapons (maybe one with Assault Cannon) and dropping in with Logan in TDA could potentially drop nearly any unit in the game in a brutal alpha strike, then also be really powerful melee combatants with their Power Fists.

Are there any other TDA units in the game that can provide that level of surprise firepower and not die immediately afterwards? Or even Jump Pack units (not really a fan of Drop Pods, interested in units that can appear on their own)?

Not that have seen, but the Inceptor Squad could do that.
Grey Knight maybe, but the Pergatation and Purifier Squads can not Deep Strike. Paladins with maxed out Psilencers possibly.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
And tomorrow will be Razorbacks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/22 18:24:32

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

Death watch termies can take 3 heavy weapons and a mix of close combat weapons. 3 assault cannons and all power swords for 247 could be pretty okay. 3 cyclones seems really expensive but is a lot of fire power.

Gererally though i think i like Wolf Guard termies better since they can take combis and wolf claws.

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

 Anpu42 wrote:
I am going off the ‘Reservation’ so to speak and talking about the first Primaris Unit.

Inceptor Squad
UNIT COMPOSITION: 3 Models
WARGEAR: Two Assault-Bolters (18” Assault 3, S5, AP-1, Damage 1)

None

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF
>Crushing Charge: 1 in 6 chance on a charge of inflicting a Mortal Wound.
>Meteoric Descent: Deep Strike

Overview/How I would use them:
They are Mobile (10” Move), reasonably tough (3+ Save, T5 and 2 Wounds) and have a good amount of Firepower (Full Squad can make 18 Heavy Bolter Shots).
They look to be set up to Deep Strike in and let loose with a barrage of Heavy Bolter shots at a target (Remember that on the Deep Strike they will still be hitting on a 3+) and then Assault a unit with a 50/50 of inflicting a Mortal Wound.
This is not how I would use them, I think of them as more of a Mid-Ranged Shooting Unit.
Deep Strike in, yes at about 13”-16” Inches away (out of Rapid Fire Range for most Units) and stay there if possible. Use them as a harassing force. When you find yourself a unit that looks like you can take down quickly, Advance and then Charge.
Stick a Wolf Priest and/or Wolf Guard Battle Leader with a Jump Pack near them for the Re-Rolls.
With their range and quick movement they may also make a good Counter Charge/Backfield unit.

I'd put them at the seventeen inch range unless they have to be put closer due to enemy models - they honestly suck as an assault unit so the best place for them to be is at the higher end of the charge range.
The best place for the Inceptors is behind enemy lines against an assault army, being sacrificed in an attempt to remove long ranged units to force the enemy to move forward or evaporate MCs.

Requizen wrote:
Are Wolf Guard Terminators the shootiest TDA units for any Space Marine army? I really like Terminators and would like to make them a part of my (soon to be) Marine army, and it looks to me that TDA Wolf Guards taking all combi-weapons (maybe one with Assault Cannon) and dropping in with Logan in TDA could potentially drop nearly any unit in the game in a brutal alpha strike, then also be really powerful melee combatants with their Power Fists.

Are there any other TDA units in the game that can provide that level of surprise firepower and not die immediately afterwards? Or even Jump Pack units (not really a fan of Drop Pods, interested in units that can appear on their own)?

Even if they are they can kind of afford to be - they share their force org slot with a lot of the Space Wolves "essential" units.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/23 01:26:38

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Razorback
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
WARGEAR: Twin Heavy Bolters (36” Heavy 6, S5, AP-1, Damage 1)

Replace the Twin Heavy Bolters with:
>Twin Las-Cannon: (48” Heavy 2, S9, AP-3, Damage 1d6): Great for Tank/MC Hunting.
>Twin Assault-Cannon: (24”, Heavy 12, S6, AP-1, Damage 1): Sort of turns the Razorback into a tracked version of its Namesake. Great for Anti-Horde Work.
>Las-Cannon and a Twin Plasma Gun: Gives it a good mix for both Anti-Tank and Anti-Heavy Infantry.
>Twin Heavy Flamers (8”, Assault 2d6, S5, AP-1, Damage 1, Always Hits): Assault 2d6, this means you can Advance and fire making the threat range 20+1d6”.

>Take a Hunter Killer Missile (48” Heavy 1, S8, AP-2, Damage 1d6, One Shot): An ok Anti-Tank/MC weapon, great in groups.

>Take a Storm Bolter: Good for Anti-Infantry Work.

Special Abilities:
>Smoke Launchers: If you are not shooting a good way to avoid being hit.

>Transport: Take 6 Normal Infantry Models

How I would use them:
>Razorback SPAM: 3+ Razorbacks and imitate a Rhino while filled with MSU Grey Hunters. A basic pack of 5 + a Character for buffing or just the Wolf Guard Pack Leader. This can give you 2 Special Weapons (Ok, a Special Weapon and a Combi-Weapon) and a few Power Weapons. It is also not bad in a fight, 3 extra S6 Attacks are always good.

>Anti-Horde or M113 ACCV: Leave it with the Twin Heavy-Bolters or take the Twin Assault-Cannons or Twin Heavy Flamers. Take the Storm Bolter too.

>Anti-Tank/MC or The M18 Hellcat: Take the HK Missile and then either the Twin Las-Cannon or Las-Cannon/Twin-Plasma Gun combo. Infantry is not necessary to bring along. Find some sort of cover and sit behind it for the cover save or find a friendly Rune Priest with Storm Caller and/or Tempest Wrath. Concentrate Fire on big things, especially with the HK Missiles. A Razorback with the Twin Las-Cannon and a HK Missile can inflict 3d6 Damage each. The storm Bolter is not necessary, but I would bring it just in case.

>Iron Priest on a Thunderwolf or a Bike: This would be a good choice to hang around them.

I personally would only mix and mach based on what unit they are to be attached too. The M113 ACCV version with the Grey Hunter, Wolf Guard and Blood Claws, the M18 Hellcat with Long Fangs.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

I think the heavy bolter is pretty terrible. I'd almost always take the twin assault cannon option instead.

Alternatively i also think the las/plas got a big boost from the change to twin linked. 1 las shot and 4 plasma at 12" is pretty scary. The plasma also don't get their BS reduced by moving which i think is big.

Double las seems good too, but is more expensive, and i really don't like using las without some kind of re-rolls around as i always seem to miss with them.

Those seem like the main three options imo.

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

It might be a bit on the slow side but a Shield Dread, an Iron Priest and two Razorbacks would make a neat mobile turret objective sitter - plant them in cover and use the Dread's Smoke Launchers to keep them safer from being targeted.
One with Assault Canons, one with the twin Las.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Njal Stormcaller
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
WARGEAR:
>Runic Armor: 2+/5++ Save
>Bolt Pistol (12” Pistol, S4, AP-, Damage 1)
>Nightwing the Bird Wonder: (12” Assault 1d6, S3, AP-, Damage 1)
>Frag Grenades (6” Grenade 1d6, S3, AP-, Damage 1)
>Krak Grenades (6” Grenade 1, S6, AP-2, Damage 1d3)
>Staff of the Storm Caller (Mêlée 3, S6, AP-1, Damage 1d3)

>Replace the Runic Armor for Runic Terminator Armor: 2+/4++ Save (You loose the Grenades, but not the Bolt Pistol…)

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF

>Lord of Tempest: +1 to Psychic Test

>Psychic Hood: +1 to Deny the Witch.

>Staff Stormcaller: Re-Roll ONE Failed Deny the Witch roll.

Psychic Powers: Lord of Tempest already included
>Smite: Manifest on a 4+ inflict against the closest unit within 18” for 1d3 Mortal Wounds and on a 9+ inflict 1d6 Mortal Wounds.

>Stormcaller; On a 5+ give one unit within 6” a Cover Save.

>Tempest Wrath: On a 5+ make on Enemy Unit within 18” -1 To Hit.

>Jaws of the World Wolf: On a 6+ Have a leadership Roll off and if the enemy looses they take Mortal Wound of the Difference.

>Deny the Witch Twice a Turn

Overview/How I would use him:
>Overview: He is a strong Psychic with the ability to Deny enemy Psychic relatively well I am sure there is better, but not many.

>Runic Armor Njal: Stick him with someone who could benefit from the cover save and he can keep up with like Power Armored Wolf Guard or the Advancing 15 model Blood Claws Pack.

>Runic Terminator Armor: Put him with Wolf Guard Terminators, really a good choice for Deep Striking Wolf Guard. Once everyone is there Start with Storm Caller on the Terminators for that 1+ Save and then pick a the most dangerous unit and make them -1 to hit. Then Smite the what will be the focus of the Terminators Wrath, if you need to spend the Command Re-Roll to inflict more wounds.

>Njal in Mêlée vs Hordes: Oddly enough I think he will do good in Mêlée against hordes, make sure you have a Wolf Guard Battle Leader nearby and someone who will give him re-rolls before the Assault. Before the Assault toss a Frag Grenade and with Nighwing you can inflict 2d6 wounds before the Charge, mixed with JotWW on a good roll that could be 3d6 wounds. One he is locked in he still gets his Bolt Pistol shot before anything else.

>Njal in Mêlée vs Multi-Wound Models: Again he might need a little help from a Wolf Guard Battle Leader, but his JotWW and S6 1d3 Wounds per attack could quickly run through some wounds. You should looking at inflicting 4d3 Wounds of which 1d3 are Mortal, possibly 3d3+1d6

>Get Lukas near something before using JotWW, but not near you for a possible extra Mortal Wound.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Shame everyone seems to have lost the Nova rule.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Dreadnaughts
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
WARGEAR:
>Just being tough (T7, 3+ Save)
>Assault Cannon (24” Heavy 6, S6, AP-1, Damage 1): Good Mid Range Firepower.
>Storm Bolter (24” Rapid Fire 2, S4, AP-, Damage 1): See Above
>Dreadnaught Close Combat Weapon (Mêlée 4, S12, AP-3, Damage 3): Wounds most things on a 2+, Most Vehicles on a 3+.

>Heavy Plasma Cannon
>>Safe Mode: 36”, Heavy 1d3, S7, AP-3, Damage 1
>>Not so Safe Mode: 36” Heavy 1d3, S8, AP-3, Damage 2, Roll a one Kill Yourself) If you are willing to take that Mortal Wound Go for it.

>Hellfrost Cannon: A good alternative to the Assault Cannon if you are not taking on a Horde Army. I would general take it over the Assault Cannon because it is a unique Space Wolf Weapon on TAC Armies where I plan on turning the game into a Brawl.
>>Dispersed Beam (24” Heavy 1d3, S6, AP-2, Damage 1, If you don’t kill the model , but still inflicted a wound roll 1d6, on a 6 inflict a Mortal Wound.) A good alternative to the Assault Cannon vs Multi-Wound Models. With its short range though I would only take it if you are planing on getting close.
>>Focused Beam: (Heavy 1, S8, AP-4, Damage 1d6, If you don’t kill the model, but still inflicted a wound roll 1d6, on a 6 inflict a Mortal Wound.): This gives you a change at doing 1d6+1 Wounds. A good short range weapon.

>Twin Autocannon (48” Heavy 4, S7, AP-1, Damage 2): Unless you feel you need to Wound Toughness 4 on a 2+ while playing Fire Support this is the my choice of the Long Range Weapons.

>Twin Heavy Bolter (36” Heavy 6, S5, AP-1, Damage 1): A cheaper Alternative for the Assault Cannon. Good Range, Rate of fire and Strength. If you feel you need to Wound T3 on a 2+ go for the Assault Cannon, but otherwise I think it is a good choice.

>Twin Heavy Flamer (8” Assault 2d6, S5, AP-1, Damage 1, Always Hits) A Good up close weapon, especially mixed with a Heavy Flamer and great Wolf Claw.

>Twin Las-Cannon (48” Heavy 2, S9, AP-3, Damage 1d6): Great Long Range Anti-Vehicle/MC Weapon.

Replace the Storm Bolter and DCCW with a Missile Launcher or Twin Autocannon.
>Missile Launcher:
>>Frag (Heavy 1d6, S4, AP-, Damage 1)
>>Krak (Heavy 1 S8, AP-2, Damage 1d6)

>Twin Autocannon (48” Heavy 4, S7, AP-1, Damage 2): Unless you feel you need to Wound Toughness 4 on a 2+ while playing Fire Support this is the my choice of the Long Range Weapons.

Replace the DCCW with a Great Wolf Claw.
>Great Wolf Claw (Mêlée 4, S10, AP-2, Damage 1d6, Re-Roll Failed to Wound Rolls.

Replace the Storm Bolter with a Heavy Flamer (8” Assault 1d6, S5, AP-1, Damage 1) A nice alternative for a close up fighter nd mixes well with the Twin-Heavy Flamers.

Replace Everything with a Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield. (Venerable Dreadnoughts Only)
>Fenrisian Great Axe (Mêlée 4, S10, AP-3, Damage 1d6)
>Blizzard Shield: 3++ Save

Special Abilities:
>Smoke Launcher: Reduce the chance of being hit at the Expense of Shooting.

>Explodes: Well...

Overview/How I would use Them: I know there are a lot of options, though I will focus on the Traditional and Fluffy.

>Rifleman Dread (Traditional): It is call this because of an old BattleTech Mech (As the Joker says: Worth the Google). Either take two sets of Twin Autocannons or Twin-Autocannons and Twin Las-Cannons. This gives you a lot of long range firepower. Set in the backfield with your Long Fangs and a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and someone who gives you Re-Rolls to hit.

>Triple Flamer(Traditional): Take the Twin Heavy-Flamer and a Heavy Flamer for 3d6 Attacks. I know we lost our ability to Pod them, but I don’t think that that is the end of the world for them. Just follow the Grey Hunter/Blood Claw Packs in. You opponent will have to focus on one of the you. They are also tough so don’t be afraid of being in front. Also makes a good Counter Charge Unit.

>Axe and Board (Fluffy): Lets be serious, you built it just because it looks cool, but it is effective too. These make great Bodyguards for any character including Murderfang and Bjorn. Don’t be afraid of Popping Smoke and as the RAW looks it will make you immune to Overwatch, but that is a debate for another thread.

>Great Wolf Claw (Fluffy): Considering they are cheaper (by 15 Points) than a Dreadnaught Close Combat Weapon why would you take anything else. Just mix it with anything else but the Axe and Board or Rifleman Dreadnaughts and you are good to go, especially with the Re-Rolls. For Real Fluffiness mix it with the Hellfrost Cannon.

Venerable Dreadnaught: Mostly what the Venerable Dreadnaught gives you is a WS 2+, BS 2+, FNP 6+. So everything should be the same as the Regular Dreadnaught, but just covered in more stuff from your Space Wolves Bits Box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/28 14:59:53

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Lucius Pods still exist!!!

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

Fyi, overwatch always hits on a 6, no matter what modifiers the unit has per page 182, so Smoke Launchers don't effect that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/26 12:56:09

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolf Guard Bikers
UNIT COMPOSITION: 5-10 Models
WARGEAR:
>Space Marine Bike: 14” Move and Twin Bolt Guns (24” Rapid Fire-2, S4, AP-, Damage 1)
>Bolt Pistol (12” Pistol 1, S4, AP1, Damage 1)
>Chain Sword (Mêlée 2, S4, AP-, Damage 1, may make an extra Attack during the Fight Phase)
>Frag and Krak Grenades.

>Any Model may Take a Bolt Gun, Storm Bolter or Combi-Weapon.

>Any Model may trade their Chainsword for a weapon of the Space Wolf Melee Weapon List.

>Any Model may trade in their Bolt Pistol for a Storm Shield, Plasma Pistol or a weapon of the Space Wolf Melee Weapon List.

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF

>Turbo-Boost: Always Advance Maximum Distance (20”).

Overview/How I would use Them:
>Sons of Loki: Make the true Space Wolf Bikers, just keep them basic with the Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. Use the Hairiest heads you can you can find and model them with tire-irons and chains. Maybe toss in a Power Weapon here and there. You could also go for the Mad Max look too by tossing in some Razorbacks and/or Predators.

>Tank/Monster Hunters: Take Plasma Pistols, Combi-Meltas and Combi-Plasmas. Load up on High Strength/High AP Mêlée weapons.

>Dakka Bikers: Replace that Bolt Pistol with a Storm Bolter for enough Bolter Shots to impress Orks. With the Turbo Bust it will not be hard to get within 12” and lets loos with 40 Bolter Shots for a 10 Model Pack.

>Heck Puppies: Have everyone take a Combi-Flamer and a Mêlée Weapon of Choice and Turbo-Boost 20” Across the Board (That should bit you within 8” of your chosen BBQ Choice) and let go with the Flamers for 10d6 possible Hits for a 10 model Pack.

>The Usual: A Wolf Guard Battle Leader and something like a Wolf Priest or Wolf Lord with them would be great for the re-Rolls.

>Spearhead Detachment: A great way for an All Biker Army...or mix with Wolf Guard Terminators, Wolf Guard Jump Packs or Wolf Guard in Pods is a good way to just have everything in their Face Quickly.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Shield Wall Bikers - Toughness five, Strength four, two attacks, two wounds, high mobility - just short the Strength of Thunderwolves last edition.

34 points per model, five points for a shield, four points for a power weapon or seven points for a frost sword or just leave them with chainswords for the extra attacks. Use them to cover the TWCs advance, they're faster than the TWC with a fourteen inch movement and with Wulfen backing can re-roll failed charges, on the right field setups they have a damn good chance of tangling, locking down or even wrecking enemy front lines on their first turn.
Meaning the TWC can be lightly loaded for defense and heavily equipped to deal damage - one model with a Shield and pistol, two models with paired Wolf Claws, not many things are going to double out Strength five to be wounded on sixes.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Ragin' Ork Dreadnought

Anpu, your math seems off. You say a ten model pack can get 40 Bolter Shots, but it should actually be 80 shots - 4 per model from the Storm Bolter, plus another 4 per model from the Twin Boltgun on their bike.

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Wow, that's gotta be Guard level firepower.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut

UK

Waaaghpower wrote:
Anpu, your math seems off. You say a ten model pack can get 40 Bolter Shots, but it should actually be 80 shots - 4 per model from the Storm Bolter, plus another 4 per model from the Twin Boltgun on their bike.

And this is the antidote to unbreakable conscript blobs. You simply turn them into red mist.

Even a 5-man pack gets 40 shots and only costs 180 points.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star.

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolf Guard Battle Leader
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
WARGEAR:
>Powered Armored: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.
>Biker: Space Marine Bike, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.
>Thunderwolf: Thunderwolf Mount, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.
>Terminator: Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Power Sword.

>Replace Chainsword for one item Space Wolf Mêlée Weapon List.

>Replace Bolt Pistol for one item Bolt Gun, Plasma Pistol, Storm Shield, Space Wolf Mêlée Weapon List or Combi-Weapon List.

>May take a Jump Pack

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF

>Huskarl of the Jarl: 6” Re-Roll 1s on Damage Bubble

Overview/How I would use Them: This is one of the few Models I would Spam. I am not going to run through the normal list of how to load one out as you should all have the idea of what they can take and why.
However he does make a great force multiplier no mater how you look at him with any Unit just make sure he is set up to mix with them, Terminators with Terminators, Jump Packs with Jump Packs, you get idea. The only exception might be the Biker as he would mix well with the Thunderwolves, though he would be loosing out on three attacks.

I know I have a bunch of models that I used to use as Wolf Guard to pass out when we could do that and will still do when it comes to my Space Wolves still even though I will still be adding a Wolf Guard Pack Leader to each Grey Hunter and Blood Claw Units. I figure one Wolf Guard Battle Leader and probably a Wolf Priest for every two Packs just to add bonuses and off set the Over Charged Plasma. I will also probably make sure there is one near my Long Fangs and Rifleman Dreads.

Final Note: I sort of feel that the Wolf Guard Battle Leader will Synergize better than a Wolf Lord.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut

UK

I agree, WGBL works well in situations where you already have a reroll to hit for some reason. He is also a good choice to carry a SS since he does not have a built-in invulnerable save. Buying a Wolf Lord a SS always feels like a waste of points since he comes with a stock 4++.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star.

Made in us
Fixture of Dakka

San Jose, CA

Just played my first game of 8th. Used space wovles. My list:

Spoiler:

You can find my battle report here (to be completed tomorrow):

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/730597.page

6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links

 jy2 wrote:
Just played my first game of 8th. Used space wovles. My list:

Spoiler:

You can find my battle report here (to be completed tomorrow):

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/730597.page

Good luck sir.
Love what I can see of the paint job - got better photos?

As for the WGBL
I give them Jump Packs and paired Wolf Claws, then drop them to shore up Grey Hunters or Wolf Scouts who are under performing.
Sounds like an odd combination but usually they benefit from re-rolling ones to hit or the arrival of a close combat specialist.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/28 00:30:12

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User

 jy2 wrote:
Just played my first game of 8th. Used space wovles. My list:

Spoiler:

You can find my battle report here (to be completed tomorrow):

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/730597.page

I thought only venerable dreads could take axe shield? If not normal dreads are likely better for the greater numbers

Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter

Comely wrote:
 jy2 wrote:
Just played my first game of 8th. Used space wovles. My list:

<Snip>

I thought only venerable dreads could take axe shield? If not normal dreads are likely better for the greater numbers

Pretty clear in the index Axe/Shield is a venerable only option.

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Didn't notice that, they're right though looks like you have eighty points to track down.
Minus one Dread should solve it though.

Ulfhednar_42 wrote:
Comely wrote:
 jy2 wrote:
Just played my first game of 8th. Used space wovles. My list:

<Snip>

I thought only venerable dreads could take axe shield? If not normal dreads are likely better for the greater numbers

Pretty clear in the index Axe/Shield is a venerable only option.

Oops! I missed that! Thanks for pointing it out.

I most likely would have dropped the Wolf Scouts and Blood Claws or a rifleman dread in order to fit in the Venerables.

 Anpu42 wrote:
Dreadnaughts
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
Spoiler:
WARGEAR:
> [...]

>Great Wolf Claw (Fluffy): Considering they are cheaper (by 15 Points) than a Dreadnaught Close Combat Weapon why would you take anything else. Just mix it with anything else but the Axe and Board or Rifleman Dreadnaughts and you are good to go, especially with the Re-Rolls. For Real Fluffiness mix it with the Hellfrost Cannon.

Venerable Dreadnaught: Mostly what the Venerable Dreadnaught gives you is a WS 2+, BS 2+, FNP 6+. So everything should be the same as the Regular Dreadnaught, but just covered in more stuff from your Space Wolves Bits Box.

This review needs to be modified also to reflect that fact that only Venerables can take the Axe & Board option.

6th Edition Tournaments: Golden Throne GT 2012 - 1st .....Bay Area Open GT 2013 - Best Tyranids
ATC 2013 - Team Fluffy Bunnies - 1st .....LVO GT 2014 Team Tournament - Best Generals
7th Edition: 2015-16 ITC Best Grey Knights, 2015-16 ITC Best Tyranids
Jy2's 6th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links.....Jy2's 7th Edition Battle Report Thread - Links

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Swiftclaws
UNIT COMPOSITION: 3-10+1-2 Models
WARGEAR: Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades and Bike with Twin Bolter
>Attack Bike: Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Twin Bolter and Heavy Bolter.

>Each Model may replace their Bolt Pistol with a Chainsword

>One model may replace their Bolt Pistol with a Space Wolf Special Weapon.

>May take an Attack Bike

>The Attack Bike may replace their Heavy Bolter with a Multi-Melta

>May include a Wolf Guard Pack Leader

>The Wolf Guard Pack Leader may Replace his Bolt pistol with one item from the Space Wolf Mêlée List or Space Wolf Combi-Weapon List

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF

>If there is No Wolf Guard nearby they must attempt to charge when within 12” of an enemy.

>Berserk Charge: On a Turn they Charge they get one Additional Attack.

>Turbo-Boost: Advance is 20”

Overview/How I would use Them: Again it depends on how you plan on using them.

>Anti-Infantry: Take the Chainswords and go with either a Flamer or Plasma Gun, the same with the Wolf Guard Battle Leader and stick with the Heavy Bolter for the Attack Bike.

>Anti-Tank/MC: Go for the Plasma or Melta-Gun, though I tend to go with the Plasma Gun for more chances to hit and range wise mixes well with the Multi-Melta you stuff on the Attack Bike. Chainswords are also another good option.

>Again a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and/or a Wolf Priest is always a good idea.

I have 1 Pack that is 10 Models with a Heavy Bolter Attack Bike, Plasma Gun and a Wolf Guard Pack Leader with a Frost Sword. I normally team it up with a Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Paired Wolf Claws. My only problem is I used to no mater how I did things ended up in Mêlée with a Dreadnaught and get stuck there for the rest of the game. Now with the Wound anything in a 6+ I think that problem has gone away.

Automatically Appended Next Post:

This review needs to be modified also to reflect that fact that only Venerables can take the Axe & Board option.

Fixed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/28 15:19:53

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in us
Fixture of Dakka

San Jose, CA

@Anpu42

Cool, thanks!

And thanks for taking the time to do all these reviews.

 jy2 wrote:
@Anpu42

Cool, thanks!

And thanks for taking the time to do all these reviews.

Your Welcome, I enjoy doing them and it helps me get a better understanding of what each unit can do. I am also open to what to do next, though tight now I am looking at either the Wolf Lord in all of its Flavors or a Land Raider next.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in au
Ancient Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought

Only customisable Wolf Lords I'm liking are the combi-weapon and chainsword and the paired close combat weapons - I'm partial to paired Wolf Claws and its gotta be on a Thunderwolf mount, the greatest offensive potential you can muster, we lost the Runic Armour and Armour of Russ, the shield was always a waste of time and points so it's not going to be your spear-head.

It's buff can be replecated by the WGBL at a cheaper price or bettered by the unique character Wolf Lords.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go.

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolf Lord
UNIT COMPOSITION: 1 Model
WARGEAR:
>Basic Wolf Lord: Power Armor/Belt of Russ (3+/4++, T4, W5), Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.

>Biker Lord: Power Armor/Belt of Russ (3+/4++, T5, W7), Space Marine Bike, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.

>Gravis Lord: Gravis Armor/Belt of Russ (3+/4++, T5, W6), Mastercrafted Power Sword (Mêlée 3, Hit on a 2+, S4, AP-3, Damage 2), Bladestorm Gauntlet (Pistol 3, Hits on a 2+, S4, AP-, Damage 1 or Mêlée 5, Hit on a 3+, S8, AP-3, Damage 1d3)

>Terminator Lord: Terminator Armor/Belt of Russ (2+/4++, T4, W6), Storm Bolter, Power Sword.

>Thunder Lord: Power Armor/Belt of Russ (3+/4++, T5, W7), Thunderwolf Mount, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades.

>Weapon Trade Outs: All but the Gravis Lord can trade out their Weapons for other weapons or a Storm Shield.

Special Abilities:
>ATSKNF

>Jarl of Fenris: 6” Re-Roll 1s on To Hit Bubble

>Basic Wolf Lord: Can take a Jump Pack

Overview/How I would use Them: Fluff Wise I would only take them if you are going with a Battalion, Brigade, Supreme Command or Vanguard Detachment. On the Power Weapon Front, just go with things with the Words ‘Wolf’, ‘Thunder’ or ‘Frost’ in them.

>Basic Wolf Lord: Just about any Power Weapon combination, though if you are looking at taking a Sword and/or Bolt Pistol combo, just go with the Gravis Lord. For a lot of Attacks go with the Paired Wolf Claws. If you are planning on having him sit back and Lead from a vantage point, go for a Combi-Weapon, but his strength is in Mêlée. A Jump Pack will give him some mobility, but I think a bike is a better choice if you are going to play ‘Fire Brigade’ with him most of the time.

>Biker Lord: It is hard to beat a Wolf Lord on a Bike’s maneuverability. Give him at least a Frost Weapon and I would go with a Combi-Plasma or Storm Bolter for some Dakka.

>Gravis Lord: The Gravis Lord looks to be a good up close choice for a Foot list...but that is where he will stay as he can not get on any of the Transports. He can probably be a good choice to sit with your Long Fangs And Rifleman Dreads and then act as a counter charge unit. I personally like him.

>Terminator Lord: A Deep Striking Wolf Lord should scare a lot of people. I would keep him simple, upgrade to a Frost Axe or Frost Sword, maybe even take a Thunder Hammer or Chain Fist. Paired Wolf Claws are another good option for 5 Attacks.

>Thunder Lord: Now here is what a lot are thinking when they think of a Wolf Lord. Here is one of the few places I think a Storm Shield should go unless you want the 5 Attacks for the Paired Wolf Claws (and don’t forget about the three extra attacks from Bity McBites A lot). Don’t worry about not having a ranged weapon, that is what Grenades are for.

Note on the Storm Shield: I am sort of starting to agree with many of the others out there that is is not a great choice for a Wolf Lord as all you are buying is a +1++ to your save. Now for Fluff reasons there is not much cooler than a Thunder Lord on his Thunderwolf with a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: