Switch Theme:

PSA - Warning - Do NOT put brushes in your mouth to sharpen the point anymore  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





Lincolnton, N.C.

Honestly the best way to keep a brush on point is to roll it with your wet lips. I've been doing it for years.

My beloved 40K armies:
Furry Emperor's Children
Order of Saint Pan Thera


DR:80S+++G+M+B++IPw40K(3)00-D++A+++/cWD233R---T(M)DM+ 
   
Made in fi
Nimble Glade Rider





 MajorTom11 wrote:
However, I still won't provide any more detail, for 'reasons', the kind that journalists have not to disclose sources I suppose being the correct analogue. Accept or don't accept, but asking more won't change it. I am sorry I can't give more, for what it is worth.

You're doing this to protect your source, your source being a publicly available peer-reviewed scientific study? I'd say that is not quite the correct analogue.

So is one of the fortunate people who also knows what this whole sorry affair refers to willing to disclose that fairly important information..?
   
Made in ca
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





London, Ontario

A dog is the kind of animal that decides if it should put something in it's mouth, by putting something in it's mouth.

GreatBigTree is a dog-person.

Agrax Earthshade has an unsurprisingly earthy flavour, whereas goblin green has kind of a weak mushroom vibe. Nuln Oil has a greasy taste. Lothoren Forest has a whiff of Pine, and a maple finish.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/13 07:11:34


 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






 MajorTom11 wrote:
being a moderator here for 5 years


In which case I would have thought you wouldn't be breaking rule 1 by posting

well some of you have already eaten too much paint is all I can say





 MajorTom11 wrote:
Some people already know what I am referring to.


Great. They didn't need this post, and you didn't give the rest of us any useful information.

If you don't want to listen


I'm happy to listen, when you say something. Even Jenny McCarthy referenced a published article. OK, it was wrong, but the point is we could tell it was wrong because she told us where to look.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

I get frustration but please lets try to avoid hostility that might escalate into a thread lock.

I think a lot of people genuinely want to know more, whether it comes from MT or someone else.


Also, the Facebook feed picked this up.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/13 10:56:43


 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 MajorTom11 wrote:
So disregard. Lol, guys, no one is holding a gun to your head. Some people have listened, I am pleased for that. Some people already know what I am referring to. If you don't want to listen you can go on with your life without ever seeing this thread again. It's really that simple lol.

I have acknowledged the nature of my message is less than ideal for some. I acknowledge that there is reason to be skeptical particular for those of an empirical and objective bent. I have also said, being aware of all this, I simply did what I felt I could with the circumstances I have. Take it or leave it.

With that this will be my final comment on the matter, anything further is circular. Both sides have been presented, I'll leave to each individual to decide whether they want to lend any credence, or, better yet, simply inspire a few google searches so people can deduce the facts for themselves. Good enough for me. If someone else wants to name the name, they can go right ahead too if that is the way the discussion goes, I'm not in charge here obviously, only of myself.

Have a good one boys -


So, IOW just as I predicted earlier ITT.

SHUT UP SAXTON! I'M AN INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST, I DON'T NEED TO PROVIDE MY SOURCES! THAT'S WHAT INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IS!




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in no
Generalleutnant





Muslpelheim

Oh the irony of postring a public health warning on Dakka, and not citing sources. My faith in humanity still is justified to be low it seems.
Also why dose people need to be told this? Is this now common knowlegdge in the world at large?
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Trondheim wrote:
Oh the irony of postring a public health warning on Dakka, and not citing sources. My faith in humanity still is justified to be low it seems.
Also why dose people need to be told this? Is this now common knowlegdge in the world at large?




That is a visual representation of what the OP has posted.

Cite sources, it's really not hard. Is he thinking Dakka will be under some kind of legal implications for making these allegations if they name the company? "Google it" simply does not work in this case as you can spout any kind of gak on the internet and still have it be taken as gospel. Isn't that right Buster?






A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in ca
Three Color Minimum






If you're worried about what your paint contains, there are things called Material Safety Data Sheets (not sure what they're called these days), that any and every manufacturer is required to surrender by law, if you ask for them.

There is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't know what is in their paint. Especially if you're a brush licker. Ask for the MSDS from the manufacturer and you'll know if there is anything harmful even in the slightest in your paints. It's very easy information to find.

Don't use scare tactics for people to stay informed. Provide the information instead.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/13 13:42:17


 
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Ghool wrote:
If you're worried about what your paint contains, there are things called Material Safety Data Sheets (not sure what they're called these days), that any and every manufacturer is required to surrender by law, if you ask for them.

There is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't know what is in their paint. Especially if you're a brush licker. Ask for the MSDS from the manufacturer and you'll know if there is anything harmful even in the slightest in your paints. It's very easy information to find.

Don't use scare tactics for people to stay informed. Provide the information instead.


As has been pointed out, repeatedly - the MSDS says what should be in the paint. Given how many links in the supply chain there are for mass produced products, and how much of what goes on in that chain has to be taken almost on faith, whether what's supposed to be in the paints is the same as what is in the paints is a little less than certain.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 Ghool wrote:
If you're worried about what your paint contains, there are things called Material Safety Data Sheets (not sure what they're called these days), that any and every manufacturer is required to surrender by law, if you ask for them.

There is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't know what is in their paint. Especially if you're a brush licker. Ask for the MSDS from the manufacturer and you'll know if there is anything harmful even in the slightest in your paints. It's very easy information to find.

Don't use scare tactics for people to stay informed. Provide the information instead.


This has been bought up before. MSDS sheets do exist. For paint they exist for the base paint. Not the pigments. Because most paint is made to order to the color it is being produced to. If you want a MSDS for the pigments you need to know the manufacturer of the pigments. Do you know who manufacture GWs pigments? Or any paint companies pigments? I have never seen a MSDS for any paint that said, in summary, "You should eat this". This is speaking from my experience working a sum total of like.... 8 years in a paint store. On top of that pigments have all been far chemically worse than the base paint itself. With the less white the paint the worse they are because even more pigment is in them. And the brighter more vibrant they are the worse they are. Because as above, cadmium and other VERY toxic materials make the best brighter colors. Your yellows, oranges, bright blues. reds etc... And it's not just if your bottle is bright orange. The darker oranges are made with those bright orange pigments mixed with others to get the color you end up with. Any bottle of yellow is likely going to have SOME measure of cadmium in it.

Again, don't eat paint.

Why is it that adults need to be told what you tell preschool aged children? It's not good for you. It can't be good for you. Don't do it. Even without the toxic pigments, it's got acrylic in it. Like.. sheets of plastic acrylic. You are eating plastic.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/13 13:55:07



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

 Lance845 wrote:


Why is it that adults need to be told what you tell preschool aged children? It's not good for you. It can't be good for you. Don't do it. Even without the toxic pigments, it's got acrylic in it. Like.. sheets of plastic acrylic. You are eating plastic.


Thing is its not adults eating paint, its adults using a painting method which has been used for years and which can result in the ingestion of tiny amounts of paint, but which is typically considered to be such small doses as to be "safe". The OP's point is that even in these low doses a regular painter is exposing themselves to a meaningful level of serious risk up to and including death. That's a big and serious thing to consider and yet without the source its hard to have the viewpoint carry weight.


Googling also doesn't help because you get a lot of old articles on the old radioactive paint used in watches and a lot of websites which recycle viewpoints more than scientific fact. Plus its a horrible mish mash of out old and new all recycled around. Without a clear new article really standing out. Without some experience in this field its hard to sift through fact and opinion. Again its the fact that Google is great IF you know enough of the answer and subject to use the right search terms and sift through the results.

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 Overread wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:


Why is it that adults need to be told what you tell preschool aged children? It's not good for you. It can't be good for you. Don't do it. Even without the toxic pigments, it's got acrylic in it. Like.. sheets of plastic acrylic. You are eating plastic.


Thing is its not adults eating paint, its adults using a painting method which has been used for years and which can result in the ingestion of tiny amounts of paint, but which is typically considered to be such small doses as to be "safe". The OP's point is that even in these low doses a regular painter is exposing themselves to a meaningful level of serious risk up to and including death. That's a big and serious thing to consider and yet without the source its hard to have the viewpoint carry weight.


Purposefully ingesting any amount of something that has chemicals that are not food is still purposefully ingesting chemicals that are not food. It doesn't matter how tiny of an amount it is. You don't tell a kid not to eat paint and then they say "But it was ONLY a little" and then you go "Oh, well thats fine then." There really is nothing to weigh and consider. You (the royal you) have spent years building up a habit of doing a really dumb thing. Stop.

Googling also doesn't help because you get a lot of old articles on the old radioactive paint used in watches and a lot of websites which recycle viewpoints more than scientific fact. Plus its a horrible mish mash of out old and new all recycled around. Without a clear new article really standing out. Without some experience in this field its hard to sift through fact and opinion. Again its the fact that Google is great IF you know enough of the answer and subject to use the right search terms and sift through the results.


It's great to do the research and find out exactly how toxic it could be if you had the information to do the research about this particular case. But the details of any particular case don't actually matter in terms of the practice. There is no good reason to put paint in your mouth. Any amount of it. Ever.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in ca
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





London, Ontario

The good reason is that it produces a point that you can contour with your tongue.

As a person with the genetic ability to manipulate my tongue in many ways (some can’t, but I cant tell you my sources) I can shape a point, fan, “barrel”, and even a curve to a standard brush (to reach those tricky armpit spots).

The residual paint on my brush after washing? Very low in terms of potential toxins I constantly consume as part of my day-to-day living. The benefits of ease of brush shaping outweigh the *potential* risks of health damage.
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 greatbigtree wrote:
The good reason is that it produces a point that you can contour with your tongue.

As a person with the genetic ability to manipulate my tongue in many ways (some can’t, but I cant tell you my sources) I can shape a point, fan, “barrel”, and even a curve to a standard brush (to reach those tricky armpit spots).

The residual paint on my brush after washing? Very low in terms of potential toxins I constantly consume as part of my day-to-day living. The benefits of ease of brush shaping outweigh the *potential* risks of health damage.


There are other ways to shape a brush.

I have rarely ever heard someone says something as dumb as "the convenience of this thing I do for gaks and giggles that does not matter is worth the health risk of eating chemicals".

I am not calling you dumb GBT. I am saying that that statement is full on slowed. This isn't a potential health risk like... if I get into my car I MIGHT get into an accident. Instead, if you put your paint brush in your mouth you ARE eating paint. No "might" about it.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






In such small quantities that I don't believe it constitutes harm, or that it's the major source of any harmful toxins (stop saying "chemicals" as some sort of bogeyman word; water is a chemical, a potential toxin and an industrial solvent, after all) I might ingest or inhale. I'm not drinking lead-containing paint by the pint, I'm licking a brush after it's been rinsed.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Ok, science lesson time:

Using scare-words like 'toxic' or 'poison' when talking about something that may or may not be in a product is intellectually dishonest without also discussing dosage, even in estimated terms. The dose makes the poison. All things are poison in large enough doses, even water and oxygen. No one here is doubting that these chemicals can cause health problems in large enough doses. Roughly 5% of the cadmium you ingest is taken into the body. Roughly 6% of the cadmium applied to the skin is absorbed into the body percutaneously. From the paper linked below, Germany suggests no more than 15ug/L of cadmium as an upper limit for workers, and shows that on average, a non-smoker has a blood concentration of 0.5 ug/L. This assumes raw, elemental cadmium. Luckily for us, the cadmium used for pigmentation is overwhelmingly in the form of cadmium sulfide (CdS), and occasionally mixed with cadmium selenium (CdSe).

Due to different chemical properties, cadmium sulfide has a MUCH higher lethal dose (LD50) of >5000 mg/kg of body weight, compared to cadmium's LD50 of ~200 mg/kg. While I don't advocate consuming cadmium sulfide for s&g, if you're a paint-licker, you should be totally fine. To play it extremely safe, I'll say that a dose less than 100x smaller than the Lethal Dose (LD50) should fall within NOEL (No observable effect level). So less than 50mg/kg should be a 'safe' consumption level, or for the average adult, less than 3100 mg/day. As the form of cadmium sulfide used in paint pigments is less soluble than the raw cadmium sulfide tested via PubChem, the 'safe' consumption level of cadmium sulfide containing pigment is even higher than the 3100 mg/kg shown due to the way our bodies function with regards to digestion and absorption.

If you honestly believe that the concentration of a chemical like cadmium sulfide in your paint pots is high enough that a few dabs a day from a paint brush, of the size typically used to paint details on miniatures thus requiring a fine tip, on the lips or tongue is going to move the needle in a meaningful way as it relates to bodily absorption, you either don't understand math, don't understand the scientific principles surrounding absorption, or are just really, truly comfortable in your ignorance. Regardless of which of these applies, you shouldn't be scare-mongering by posting nonsense PSA's, especially if you're unwilling to back them up with any kind of citation.

Cadmium toxicity - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1578573/
Cadmium Sulfide PubChem - https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/14783

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/13 16:02:57


 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 AndrewGPaul wrote:
In such small quantities that I don't believe it constitutes harm, or that it's the major source of any harmful toxins (stop saying "chemicals" as some sort of bogeyman word; water is a chemical, a potential toxin and an industrial solvent, after all) I might ingest or inhale. I'm not drinking lead-containing paint by the pint, I'm licking a brush after it's been rinsed.


We are not talking about drinking water. We are talking about a hodge podge of a bunch of chemicals that are put into paint to give it a variety of features incudeing it's flow, thickness, color, surfactants, the pigments (which are themselves often compounds of chemcicals), things that help in the steady and even drying and off gasing, the acrylics that make it up.

Don't negate both that you have no idea what you are actually putting in your mouth or trying to make it seem less than what it is by saying water is also a chemical (it is. But thats just distracting from the point). What you believe is toxic is irrelevant. Why would you eat paint at all? Why are ANY of you trying to justify it? lol


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Why are you babbling about "eating paint"? There's basically no paint on the brush that goes in my mouth.

As the post above yours points out, the levels of cadmium compounds are minimal, regardless of your attempts to use scary words like "chemicals!" without a useful context.

Going by Filthy_Sanchez' post and assuming 3.1 g of Cadmium Sulfide is the safe level, you'll be fine drinking an entire pot of paint daily; licking the brush comes nowhere near that. I'm at more risk living in a suburban environment and breathing for 24 hours a day.
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 AndrewGPaul wrote:
Why are you babbling about "eating paint"? There's basically no paint on the brush that goes in my mouth.

As the post above yours points out, the levels of cadmium compounds are minimal, regardless of your attempts to use scary words like "chemicals!" without a useful context.

Going by Filthy_Sanchez' post and assuming 3.1 g of Cadmium Sulfide is the safe level, you'll be fine drinking an entire pot of paint daily; licking the brush comes nowhere near that. I'm at more risk living in a suburban environment and breathing for 24 hours a day.


Oh you, ingesting that deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 AndrewGPaul wrote:
Why are you babbling about "eating paint"? There's basically no paint on the brush that goes in my mouth.

As the post above yours points out, the levels of cadmium compounds are minimal, regardless of your attempts to use scary words like "chemicals!" without a useful context.

Going by Filthy_Sanchez' post and assuming 3.1 g of Cadmium Sulfide is the safe level, you'll be fine drinking an entire pot of paint daily; licking the brush comes nowhere near that. I'm at more risk living in a suburban environment and breathing for 24 hours a day.


1) Cadmium isn't the only thing in paint. Paint is made up of lots of things.

2) Cadmium isn't even in all paint. It's in specific pigments.

3) You are eating paint. Take the brush out of your cup and wipe it on a piece of paper. does the spot you wiped it on have color? I wonder why that would be.


The amount of paint you should eat is none. Not small amounts. None.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 Lance845 wrote:
saying water is also a chemical (it is. But thats just distracting from the point).


I call it the conflation game.

Where you completely ignore the other person's point, throw up a stupid semantical argument, and proceed to act like it means anything.

As the post above yours points out, the levels of cadmium compounds are minimal, regardless of your attempts to use scary words like "chemicals!" without a useful context.


As I've posted numerous times, the levels of anything in paint are completely unknown, and paint manufacturers regularly issue recalls on paints for excessive amounts of toxic chemicals (among other things). You shouldn't just trust that the pot in front of you is as the label describes, and you're still ignoring that paint isn't the only source of cadmium, cobalt, or chromium in the environment. Water tables around the world are increasingly contaminated with heavy metals from industrial runoff (There are lead rivers in Pennsylvania near me that are literally bright yellow from all the cadmium in them). That doesn't just wash out to sea. It gets into your food and your drinking water.

Recklessly putting any more of it into your body than is already there doesn't sound like useful context. It sounds like wilful ignorance.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






I'm not sure I believe your assertion that EU regulations allow free use of toxic pigments in domestic paints, and I can't find any evidence of a safety recall from Games Workshop or Vallejo.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Can you still wash your brush in your tea?

or is it better to use vodka?

the latter tends to have an effect on paint quality though, on the plus side you do care less though
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 AndrewGPaul wrote:
I'm not sure I believe your assertion that EU regulations allow free use of toxic pigments in domestic paints, and I can't find any evidence of a safety recall from Games Workshop or Vallejo.


Go to your local paint store. Ask them about the pigments they put into their paints. Ask them if they can show you the jugs the pigments come in. Specifically ask if you can find out the names of the pigments. They are often given letter designations. "A" for example. "E" at my store was phthalo Blue. A super common synthetic blue pigment. Very likely used in Macragge and anything like it. Not food. Is toxic.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council




USA

 AndrewGPaul wrote:
I'm not sure I believe your assertion that EU regulations allow free use of toxic pigments in domestic paints, and I can't find any evidence of a safety recall from Games Workshop or Vallejo.


Most government regulations allow some use of toxins in most consumer products because they're not really dangerous until they rise to certain levels, or because they're in chemical states where they're inert (cadmium is common in lots of plastics, but bonded plastics aren't very reactive and the chemicals that they are reactive with are not house hold products).

But some companies produce products to different national standards in the same factories, like in the mid-00s when a bunch of toothpaste chock-full of anti-freeze from a Chinese manufacturer wound up in the US instead of South East Asia (On the bright side, South East Asian countries got some US regulation quality toothpaste for once, so you know good for them!). The regulations only protect you so much. Someone else somewhere else doesn't have them or could feth up.

You won't know there's a recall until there's a recall, at which point the product has already gone out to shelves and is in your house. Regulators and companies catch some things before it ever reaches consumers. Some regulators and companies on find out after someone turns up really sick, or dead. You might as well go gamble at a casino. At least that has the chance for an upside.

Nevermind that for all we know chemicals once thought safe will in 25 years turn out to be completely unsafe. People used to sell Radium as a beauty product a hundred years ago.

To wit, you can keep licking your brush. Go ahead. I'm not your mother. But don't be some dullard acting like it can't possibly be dangerous.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/13 16:54:01


   
Made in us
Combat Jumping Ragik






Beyond the Beltway

 Grimtuff wrote:
 AndrewGPaul wrote:
Why are you babbling about "eating paint"? There's basically no paint on the brush that goes in my mouth.

As the post above yours points out, the levels of cadmium compounds are minimal, regardless of your attempts to use scary words like "chemicals!" without a useful context.

Going by Filthy_Sanchez' post and assuming 3.1 g of Cadmium Sulfide is the safe level, you'll be fine drinking an entire pot of paint daily; licking the brush comes nowhere near that. I'm at more risk living in a suburban environment and breathing for 24 hours a day.


Oh you, ingesting that deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide.
Deadly? Citations, please. Here, I'll get you started, Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide Scary, scary stuff.

 
   
Made in gb
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Devon, UK

No adult has ever ingested, or consumed in any way, anything they knew to be toxic that had no benefit, ever! Especially if it was entirely legal and "safe."

What's the matter with you all?!

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Azreal13 wrote:
No adult has ever ingested, or consumed in any way, anything they knew to be toxic that had no benefit, ever! Especially if it was entirely legal and "safe."

What's the matter with you all?!


I think some people might need pulling out of that deep sar-chasm they;re about to fall into there...



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in ca
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





London, Ontario

 Lance845 wrote:
 greatbigtree wrote:
The good reason is that it produces a point that you can contour with your tongue.

As a person with the genetic ability to manipulate my tongue in many ways (some can’t, but I cant tell you my sources) I can shape a point, fan, “barrel”, and even a curve to a standard brush (to reach those tricky armpit spots).

The residual paint on my brush after washing? Very low in terms of potential toxins I constantly consume as part of my day-to-day living. The benefits of ease of brush shaping outweigh the *potential* risks of health damage.


There are other ways to shape a brush.

I have rarely ever heard someone says something as dumb as "the convenience of this thing I do for gaks and giggles that does not matter is worth the health risk of eating chemicals".

I am not calling you dumb GBT. I am saying that that statement is full on slowed. This isn't a potential health risk like... if I get into my car I MIGHT get into an accident. Instead, if you put your paint brush in your mouth you ARE eating paint. No "might" about it.


I’m not calling you dumb, I’m calling you slowed. I like it. I’m not saying you’re an alien, but... you’re an extra terrestrial.

I’ve been a brush licker for 25 years or so, and have not suffered an ill effect. I also eat gluten, red meat. I smoke, and eat smoked meat. I eat fish and wild game that contains “bad stuff” because pollution. I’ve worked on garbage trucks and had garbage juice drip in my mouth and eyes. I breath welding fumes, put zip ties and other contaminated tools on my mouth. I’ve eaten catnip. I’ve eaten dog treats.

I’ve smoked half-finished cigarettes found on the ground the next morning of an all-night party because I’d run out, lit from a log I pulled out of a fire that had those colour changing packets put in them, plastic garbage burned in it and a *mostly spent* can of silly string exploded in it. Started with a cup of diesel.

I’ve tried holy water. It tasted like bleach. I’m hoping that’s just an additive to reduce the spread of infection from everyone dipping their fingers in it, and not a sign from powers I doubt exist.

I’ve eaten fungus that doesn’t go on pizza. I’ve siphoned gasoline, and gotten a taste of the devil’s wee. I’ve eaten half a worm from a bottle of patron. I’ve tasted pine resin right off the tree.


You call me slowed. I call it gaining XP. I’m a level 37 multi class father/husband/technician/sales/admin assistant/tech support/gamer/survivor/carpe-er of the fething Dieme-er/technical writer/teacher/welder/keeper of the fire/maintainer of the world .

And a few of those XP came from surviving the poison saves I made against diluted paint. So, who’s winning? This guy. You don’t know your limits until you go past them. Lick it! Lick your brush! Grow strong, and wise, like Tree!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/13 18:51:20


 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: