Switch Theme:

Random Chaos Stuff (Plaguebearers and Soul Grinder WIP)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Ok, been a few days since I was able to make any progress! I work for a hospital, specifically in the Pandemic warehouse so as you can imagine I have been a little busy doing other things lately.

But on to the update! I had been shading the gold when time permitted, and got the whole thing drybrushed with screaming skull. And in honor of St. Patrick's Day, I got the green spires finished tonight with the help of a Guinness! (Or three... )


Not much left now, just have to do the skulls and a bit of gold trim touch up and job's good 'un.

Sadly the big game has been pushed back as one of the players is 65+ but that gives me time to finish up the sorcerer I've been putting off.

'Night!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Getting there! Looks great, man. Keep safe.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Wisconsin

Looks great MegaDave, even though your not getting to game it will give you a chance to finish up all those WIP you have laying around . I should know there is a pile of grey plastic sitting all over the place here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/18 20:54:23


 
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






Spires! There are spires! What a great centerpiece.

Bummer about the game, also. I imagine a lot of us are going through gaming withdrawal right now. That said, I haven't been as painting productive as I've been in the past week since probably high school!

Looking forward to seeing the Sorcerer get done up. I see him lurking in the background there!

Not to get corny, but also it sounds like you have a very necessary job that is going to be very tasking for the foreseeable future, so please know it is appreciated! I think we've all probably got people close to us that are getting affected (my brother lives in Japan and the local response has not been very effective). Knowing that people in the medical community are also wargamers has just instilled me with a lot of confidence for the future - hobbyists get things done!

6681 points of
My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here! 
   
Made in gb
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






Great progress MegaDave! Good to see you’re keeping going inspite of the chaos going on around the world. I hope the hobby time helps with the sanity whilst no doubt being crazy busy at work!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Yorkright wrote: Looks great MegaDave, even though your not getting to game it will give you a chance to finish up all those WIP you have laying around . I should know there is a pile of grey plastic sitting all over the place here.
Yeah, ya gotta make lemonade out of lemons!

Don Qui Hotep wrote:Spires! There are spires! What a great centerpiece.

Bummer about the game, also. I imagine a lot of us are going through gaming withdrawal right now. That said, I haven't been as painting productive as I've been in the past week since probably high school!

Looking forward to seeing the Sorcerer get done up. I see him lurking in the background there!

Not to get corny, but also it sounds like you have a very necessary job that is going to be very tasking for the foreseeable future, so please know it is appreciated! I think we've all probably got people close to us that are getting affected (my brother lives in Japan and the local response has not been very effective). Knowing that people in the medical community are also wargamers has just instilled me with a lot of confidence for the future - hobbyists get things done!
Well you helped inspire me to finished this thing, so thanks for the kind words!

gobert wrote:Great progress MegaDave! Good to see you’re keeping going inspite of the chaos going on around the world. I hope the hobby time helps with the sanity whilst no doubt being crazy busy at work!
Yes! Won't stop, can't stop!

It is finished!


Probably the most grueling single model I have painted. (And I painted a reaver titan way back when!)


It was technically easy to paint, but the size and shape made it very difficult to work with.


Glad to have these all finished, never want to paint any of it ever again!


Had to show the scale of the thing! It's a big terrain piece if it can hide a knight.


Man the walls! Repel the enemy!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/22 15:34:43


Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Absolutely awesome! Great job sticking it out to the end. That Knight is pretty rad, too.
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






I love the pic with the knight and Great Unclean One! Such a fun, impressive project. Looks great all on the field together. Love the star background, too.

6681 points of
My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here! 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 MegaDave wrote:
Probably the most grueling single model I have painted.
Aww... don't say that! Like I said earlier, I've got a full ring of the stuff and I haven't even glued it together yet.

Your one looks great though.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/23 04:17:06


   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Wisconsin

Wow!! Amazing work Dave, putting the GUO and Knight next to it you really get a sense of how big of project it was. Thanks for sharing.
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Congrats on finishing, that is massive terrain. And despite you saying, that it's a simple scheme, it's such a clean and vibrant paint job!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

youwashock wrote:Absolutely awesome! Great job sticking it out to the end. That Knight is pretty rad, too.

Thank you! Very happy to be finished!

Don Qui Hotep wrote:I love the pic with the knight and Great Unclean One! Such a fun, impressive project. Looks great all on the field together. Love the star background, too.

Appreciate it! Yeah the star background was the easiest way to hide the basement walls lol. Reminds me of the old 2nd ed chaos codex.

H.B.M.C. wrote:
 MegaDave wrote:
Probably the most grueling single model I have painted.
Aww... don't say that! Like I said earlier, I've got a full ring of the stuff and I haven't even glued it together yet.

Your one looks great though.


Thanks! If you paint yours, just don't assemble the full thing until after you've painted it! My problem was mainly it was so heavy and bulky, made it extremely difficult to get to some of the inside detail. It's also mind-numbingly repetitive.

Yorkright wrote:Wow!! Amazing work Dave, putting the GUO and Knight next to it you really get a sense of how big of project it was. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought it needed some scale shots, it really is a chunky boi.

Viterbi wrote:Congrats on finishing, that is massive terrain. And despite you saying, that it's a simple scheme, it's such a clean and vibrant paint job!

Thank you! It was difficult keeping the technique consistent on such a large surface. Lots of pictures were taken to ensure conformity!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/23 14:05:49


Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Well, that is some LOS protecting terrain.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





Albany, NY

100% did not realize how huge these are Even more impressive job, really appreciate that they aren't just drybrushed metal like the ones I've seen kicking around.

KOW BATREPS: BLOODFIRE
INSTAGRAM: @boss_salvage 
   
Made in ca
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot






Fantastic, you put the effort in and it really shows.

   
Made in gb
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






Great job finishing up your fortress, they really look the business! I can’t believe you haven’t gone insane painting something that huge and fiddly! Love the scheme on the knight, the glowing skulls are ace! I hope you’ve gotten a few models stockpiled for more painting

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Boss Salvage wrote:100% did not realize how huge these are Even more impressive job, really appreciate that they aren't just drybrushed metal like the ones I've seen kicking around.

Thanks! Yeah I have seen some of those as well, and while I completely understand the reasons they went that way, I just had to go make it my own.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll wrote:Fantastic, you put the effort in and it really shows.

Appreciate it! I don't know if I could bring myself to do anymore of them, but I really like what I've got!

gobert wrote:Great job finishing up your fortress, they really look the business! I can’t believe you haven’t gone insane painting something that huge and fiddly! Love the scheme on the knight, the glowing skulls are ace! I hope you’ve gotten a few models stockpiled for more painting

Gobert, I had days I was close to insanity lol!

Speaking of stockpiled models, I really haven't been in the painting mood after the fortress and with how busy I've been at the hospital.


This poor sorcerer will have to wait a while longer for paint.


Decided I was in the mood for building and converting, so I got out all of my quarantine pile and some other random half-conceived projects. We've got a Nurgle bastion, a Nurgle daemon prince and a chaos renegade predator.


Got some work done on this old bastion. I was missing a few parts and decided to turn it into a giant feculant gnarlmaw.


I had a bunch of leftover bitz from my great unclean one, I used most of the here and have a few more for the daemon prince.

Gnarlmaw stills needs some greenstuff and sand, but not bad for an evening's work.

Thanks for looking!




Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

MegaDave,

The Fortress is epic.

Exalted.

Cheers,

CB

34 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Empire, Elysian and Tau armies looking for a new home. Un-painted Bretonnian metal army for sale.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in gb
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






Great start on the Gnarlmaw, the trees look like unearthly growths coming out of the roof like that!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Gnarlmaw conversion is insane, but in a good way Excited to see your conversion of the crusher with wings, love your creative WIP shot of it
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Captain Brown wrote:MegaDave,

The Fortress is epic.

Exalted.

Cheers,

CB

Thank you!

gobert wrote:Great start on the Gnarlmaw, the trees look like unearthly growths coming out of the roof like that!

Oh good, that was the idea! It'll be fun to paint when I get to that stage.

Viterbi wrote:Gnarlmaw conversion is insane, but in a good way Excited to see your conversion of the crusher with wings, love your creative WIP shot of it

Thanks! Hah, i didn't even think of that as a WIP shot but i guess it was!

And here it is out of the box!


Got a nurgly horn on his head and some wings. Obviously going to need some greenstuff work...


Gave him a glaive/billhook made out of the GUO knife, also took off that stupid middle finger they gave the daemon prince axe.


Replaced his shoulder guard with a Helbrute pad, and gave him a skull to drag around instead of a rock!

Eventually there will be a few Nurglings on there, but I figured everything would be easier to paint with them separate for now.

Have a happy hump day!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






That's rad! Love the new weapon.
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






Great conversion. It's fun when a simple weapon and accessory swap can completely change the character of a model. From submissive and broken he becomes deliberate and intimidating. Excited to see how he develops!

6681 points of
My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here! 
   
Made in ca
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot






That GUO dagger looks actually even better as a billhook, I love that!

   
Made in gb
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






He looks cool, and will be even cooler with some little nurglings! Will the hellbrute pad be getting embellishments?

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

youwashock wrote:That's rad! Love the new weapon.

Thanks man, I was pretty chuffed it worked out the way I envisioned it.

Don Qui Hotep wrote:Great conversion. It's fun when a simple weapon and accessory swap can completely change the character of a model. From submissive and broken he becomes deliberate and intimidating. Excited to see how he develops!

Wow, way more eloquent than anything I thought about him! Thanks so much, hope he lives up to the expectations!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll wrote:That GUO dagger looks actually even better as a billhook, I love that!

Thanks! I thought it had potential.

gobert wrote:He looks cool, and will be even cooler with some little nurglings! Will the hellbrute pad be getting embellishments?

I think I probably will Nurgle it up a bit in the greenstuff phase. A little too pristine at the moment.


Got this little gun platform ready, nothing too special.


This one I had fun with, lots of cutting! Mini coping saws are great though, especially when you forget the main gun is offset! I think it looks suitably chaosy without being over the top.

Next up is greenstuff, sand and primer!

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

Managed to get the sand glued down last night, as well as some green stuff applied.

I first thought the boils on the daemon prince were a little big, but then i just decided that means they are overflowing with nurgly goodness!

I am hoping to get things primed later today if I get out of work in time

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Sweet progress on the Prince. The nurglification is coming along nicely.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Columbus, OH

 youwashock wrote:
Sweet progress on the Prince. The nurglification is coming along nicely.

Thanks!

Speaking of, I got everything primed and realized I needed to go ahead and add a Nurgling now anyways.

The guy with the censer has a tentacle under his arm, which I needed to greenstuff in.

The nurgling sorcer on his base hasn't been glued yet, he'll end up in a widdle pile o' slime

Thanks,

MegaDave  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






His little friends are adorable. The guy on his shoulder adds a ton of character and will be a fantastic bit of interest.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: