Switch Theme:

Silver Templar’s - is it enough already  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 wuestenfux wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

Yeah I know.
I'm questioning the relevance of this chapter in the 40k universe.


irrelevant, compared to ther factions that should be the backbone for ,l i dunno whole superfactions but got even less then they got in this little WD index..

But i guess they needed something to pad the WD but had to be SM because everything else doesn't sell as much, never mind the desinvestment cycles going on in DE or CWE ...

Spoiler:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/08 10:15:31


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 wuestenfux wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

Yeah I know.
I'm questioning the relevance of this chapter in the 40k universe.


does every article need to be about a super story galaxy impacting group? IMHO WD is the perfect place to highlight lesser known subfactions. I'd rather read a WD article on the silver templars, then one that basicly summerizes what the Dark Angels codex says

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

BrianDavion wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

Yeah I know.
I'm questioning the relevance of this chapter in the 40k universe.


does every article need to be about a super story galaxy impacting group? IMHO WD is the perfect place to highlight lesser known subfactions. I'd rather read a WD article on the silver templars, then one that basicly summerizes what the Dark Angels codex says
Agreed. I think people are WAY too hung up on what's probably a single page of rules, written by someone in their lunch break for Conquest. The real meat of the article will be about painting them, maybe a showcase of some Silver Templars models, and some lore pages. And if any faction should have lore right now, it's probably the Ultima-founding Primarins ONLY Chapters, if only to help dispel many of the myths and blatant misrepresentations that people have about Primaris in the lore.
Ah, what am I saying, the same people complaining about the lore won't read those parts.

Does Marine fatigue exist? Yes. Do Marines get way more stuff than anyone else, and probably don't deserve it? Also yes. Is a reprint of some fluff for a Chapter that seems to exist only for worldbuilding coming at the cost of something better for xenos factions? Probably not. Did the resources it took to make this stop or prevent some big xenos revival? Also unlikely.
I'm totally agreed that Marines get too mmuch and xenos factions especially deserve so much more love from GW. But complaining about this is frankly a little ridiculous. It seems you're only complaining about this (and not the previous White Dwarf articles about, say, the Chapter *made for White Dwarf*, the Tome Keepers) because it has rules.

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Sumilidon wrote:
I'm not 100% on the coherency rules admittedly but the way I see it, these Silver Templars have the most OP strategy of any army.

Their Targetted Volly allows them to select the models who are removed when wounded rather than the controlling player. You have a unit of lets say 30 Termagants spread out in a line but in coherency, and I kill 3 in shooting. I could effectively remove the middle ones, make the unit fall out of coherency and be forced to keep removing models until back into coherence (which would theoretically be half the unit.)

It's the same dick move that Stormcasts can do in AOS



So you could also choose to remove the special weapons units etc? So silver Templar’s become hugely popular at tournaments and we have another SM codex on the way.

   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





Uh, yeah no. Silver templars are probably not going to have a superdoctrine, have a couple WL traits, a couple strats, and a gakky CT, nobody but nobody is going to give up the orgy of excess that is a marine supplement to wallow in that WD filth.

GW choosing not to do literally anything else with their time, like redesigning one of the factions that desperately needs attention or adding a trait for a different faction is pointless to complain about because we know they won't. Why would they?

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





mrFickle wrote:
Sumilidon wrote:
I'm not 100% on the coherency rules admittedly but the way I see it, these Silver Templars have the most OP strategy of any army.

Their Targetted Volly allows them to select the models who are removed when wounded rather than the controlling player. You have a unit of lets say 30 Termagants spread out in a line but in coherency, and I kill 3 in shooting. I could effectively remove the middle ones, make the unit fall out of coherency and be forced to keep removing models until back into coherence (which would theoretically be half the unit.)

It's the same dick move that Stormcasts can do in AOS



So you could also choose to remove the special weapons units etc? So silver Templar’s become hugely popular at tournaments and we have another SM codex on the way.



Yep, big squad of a horde ? Like say 30 ork boys, Saw it in half, wipe another 1/3rd by sawing the orkboys squd in half thanks to coherency.
Smaller squad , like say 5 CSM with a lascannon, yep, that lascannon dude now get's wiped.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg


They were a "make the conquest subscribers feel special" chapter they added as part of that release program. The fuss in WD will just be as a means to wider distribute their content.

Indeed, GW cares about its subscribers.
Although, the date of release (before the SM codex) is a bit strange.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 vipoid wrote:
Breton wrote:
 CEO Kasen wrote:
It's Marine Fatigue. At this point I'm reasonably sure it's less about how much Marines got in that article and just that Marines are still getting anything after everything else they got in Indomitus and will be getting in SM Codex 3.0. You could release an entirely underpowered special character for the Ball Fondlers, a chapter appearing in an obscure 40K video game that crashed and burned harder than a Stormlemur attempting to carry Your Mom, and it'd still irk people for reasons I can't entirely blame them for; it just comes across as tone-deaf.


Its the same issue as whether BA/DA/SW count as "Marines" or not, just even more subtle. "Marines" have gotten quite a bit if you roll them all together. They've gotten very very little if you separate out BA/DA/SW as well as DW, and Primaris vs FirstBorn. If you look, you'll find an overwhelming percentage of the new "Marine" releases are Primaris and fill gaps in their army list for people doing Primaris Only - which GW hyped - or for the people who believe old marines are getting squatted somewhere between soon and not too far off.


The thing is, whilst some of the Marine subfactions might not have gotten as much as standard Marines, I think you'll still struggle to get much sympathy from xeno players simply because of how many units those subfactions already have.



That wasn't my point. My point was one could and in some ways should consider Primaris it's own subfaction with the way GW has hyped Primaris Only chapters etc. (Which I believe the Silver Templars are? I don't know haven't bought the rules, but I thought I saw someone mention it)

Whether Old Marines are getting a slow squat, or Primaris Marines are going to be a quasi subfaction that can/should exist on it's own like BA/DA/SW or Eldar/DE or Nids/GSC they need all the archetypical options covered before they're fully viable. The Primaris line is, in some ways, an entirely new army, being released over several years instead of all at once.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in gb
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


Agreed. Just advance the timeline 200 years and boom, all squatty marines are dead or renegade.
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


My point is, In some ways they are but lumping them in with Marines as a whole makes it easy to lose sight of that.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





Breton wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


My point is, In some ways they are but lumping them in with Marines as a whole makes it easy to lose sight of that.


Primaris is way more of a marine army than Khorne Daemons and Slaanesh Daemons are the same army.

You get aura overlap, stratagem overlap, you can include them in the same detachment and keep all your benefits, they literally just can't use the same transports, that's it, that's the only restriction.

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in gb
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




the_scotsman wrote:
Breton wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


My point is, In some ways they are but lumping them in with Marines as a whole makes it easy to lose sight of that.


Primaris is way more of a marine army than Khorne Daemons and Slaanesh Daemons are the same army.

You get aura overlap, stratagem overlap, you can include them in the same detachment and keep all your benefits, they literally just can't use the same transports, that's it, that's the only restriction.


Breton isn't refuting that, just that they couldn't separate the marines into a primaris and not codex at the time for w/e reason, likewise they couldn't squat most peoples armies, hence they ended up coexisting in 1 book.
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





Dudeface wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
Breton wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


My point is, In some ways they are but lumping them in with Marines as a whole makes it easy to lose sight of that.


Primaris is way more of a marine army than Khorne Daemons and Slaanesh Daemons are the same army.

You get aura overlap, stratagem overlap, you can include them in the same detachment and keep all your benefits, they literally just can't use the same transports, that's it, that's the only restriction.


Breton isn't refuting that, just that they couldn't separate the marines into a primaris and not codex at the time for w/e reason, likewise they couldn't squat most peoples armies, hence they ended up coexisting in 1 book.


And that there are people who play Primaris Only, and people who play Old Marine only voluntarily. That's not any more fair than lumping Nids and GSC together.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


Dude, we've asked you 7 sextillion times not to exaggerate so much. It really takes away from whatever point you're trying to make.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





Breton wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
Breton wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I'd love it if primaris marines were their own army. It'd stop codex space marines from having 3,455,231,465,283 options competing for each role.


My point is, In some ways they are but lumping them in with Marines as a whole makes it easy to lose sight of that.


Primaris is way more of a marine army than Khorne Daemons and Slaanesh Daemons are the same army.

You get aura overlap, stratagem overlap, you can include them in the same detachment and keep all your benefits, they literally just can't use the same transports, that's it, that's the only restriction.


Breton isn't refuting that, just that they couldn't separate the marines into a primaris and not codex at the time for w/e reason, likewise they couldn't squat most peoples armies, hence they ended up coexisting in 1 book.


And that there are people who play Primaris Only, and people who play Old Marine only voluntarily. That's not any more fair than lumping Nids and GSC together.


Or, more accurately I guess, people who play Eldar but choose to play only Wraiths? We shouldn't call the guy with the wraith army and the guy with the aspect host army both "Eldar Players' should we?

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





These arguments have somewhat devolved at this point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/08 15:40:56


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: