Switch Theme:

Squats return! - Page 11  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Is this an April Fools?
Yes. It is an April Fools
No. It is not an April Fools

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Been Around the Block




 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I'm tired (heh) of all the hovering flyers everywhere, I want to see some ground-based vehicles for once again. Everyone and their mother gets flying tanks nowadays.


Same. If the Landtrain exists as a model I really hope they didn't change it to be a hover train. I know a number of 40k tank collectors who would leap on it if it had tracks, for itself, and also for use in conversions.


I also hope the reworked colossus, which we think was maybe mentioned in the leaks, is a beast of a tracked tank like the Baneblade.



This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/06/29 12:47:02


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I'm tired (heh) of all the hovering flyers everywhere, I want to see some ground-based vehicles for once again. Everyone and their mother gets flying tanks nowadays.
I await the various conversion kits...

It's honestly shocking how much better this is compared to the original.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





derpherp wrote:

Okay, then what other reason is there to abandon going hard on the crowd pleasing generic dwarven feel other than wanting to build a dwarf that feels unique to 40k? Because I look at the pattern of previous imported races and that seems to be what they like doing.



Why do you just keep repeating "They're unique!" as if that's what's disliked? The issue has nothing to do with the Unique DAoT Astronaut style. The unique direction of high-tech Sci-fi Armoured Astrnoauts is great, no problems with that idea at all.

But if you've paid attention to the Leagues so far I don't see how you can think that they're "abandoning the Dwarf feel".

Lore wise? Short stocky Space Miners and master craftsmen with grudges, beards, beer, dislike of Elves, Ancestor worship, importance of their heritage and culture. They're Space Dwarfs themed with their lore.

Aesthetics? They are also themed on being Space Dwarfs with the various runes, decoration, patterns, beards, hammers and picks etc:










Several bits of the Dwarf Archetype theming seen there. They're a unique take on the Dwarf Archetype both in their lore and their look.

So show the theming that's part of them both in their lore and in other parts of their model range by having some of that on the basic infantry that makes up the core of their army. Do you honestly see that Dwarf animal banner thing on the Theyn Model there and go "Yes, that fits in with the look of the rest of the Squad perfectly fine"? Without the Dwarf aesthetics of the Leagues being present throughout the model range to a slight extent like on the rest of the Hearthkin Squad, the Hernkin Triker, or the Ironkin, it feels randomly stuck on and jarring rather than integrated in a way that feels natural to the model range overall. I really don't get how this is such a difficult thing to understand.

And really, Jervis says right there that they were removed because their theme revolving around Short silly bikers named Squats was a bad idea to use in their implementation of the Dwarf Archetype whereas the master craftsmen with big ornate handcrafted war machines was a better direction for the Dwarf Archetype...so you've decided that what he really meant was he didn't like the Dwarf aesthetics?


 NAVARRO wrote:
Its the 3rd time this discussion of " they are not good dwarf designs cause they need loads of little icons spam to make them so " leads to nothing. I can understand new people chipping in but the same posters flooding the same opinion does not help. Its just spam.

Squats designs are fresh deal with it. Some people dont like tau some do, some think Primaris are the work of the devil others love it.
Point being opinions are great but become obnoxious if you behave like a broken record and keep on spamming.


Oh look, it's the same meaningless obtuse non-argument of "You just want them to be Fantasy Dwarfs!" that keeps getting parroted even though it completely misses the point.

Andykp wrote:
(HN) wrote:
Andykp wrote:
Hostile much? And see if you can squeeze a few more clichés in there too, try virtue signalling, that one always goes down well. You’re a real treat.


End of the day votann will look how they look. Don’t like it, tough I guess. I am still excited for this release. The new models look good to me, and only question mark is in bigger vehicles really?


Seems a little odd to say that having usual dwarf elements of runes and such would make them just "boring fantasy Dwarfs in space" and then say you like the look of the Leagues, considering that Dwarf aesthetic is undeniably a part of them.

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 2022/06/29 14:21:59


 
   
Made in fi
Courageous Space Marine Captain






So is there any idea of when the range will actually be released?

   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Crimson wrote:
So is there any idea of when the range will actually be released?


Nothing official. We can make a guess that it's this year because GW is not likely to announce Squats so early if they're only released next year, even if we account for the desire to make an April Fool's joke out of the announcement. And that it's before World Eaters because GW has announced Squats earlier and had a lot more Squat related previews than World Eaters. It might be between September and November, and provided it's before World eaters, it's likely sooner than later. But that's all just guesswork. Realistically we don't even have any idea what's going on with the Chaos models that are at best coming the week after the new paints.

We may have a better idea once GW has another preview event. I think aside from the Chaos Marine kits and Warcry we don't have any big stuff left from the last previews.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in gb
Tough Tyrant Guard





London

I think the bigger question is if they're coming before the Guard or Chaos Deamons at this point.
   
Made in ro
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





They said Leagues were still a few months away. My money is September or October. July is to early. August is probably War Cry 2.

Guard looks like a pretty substantial wave but we'd still have heard nothing if not for the leaks so I think they might be after Leagues.

If Daemons are getting new kits like the leak said I'd put them into early 2023 at this point.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2022/06/29 15:01:41


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Chaos Daemons are likely just a book, and maybe has the new Daemon Prince release alongside it. That's not going to get in the way of anything.

We got a Guard preview because GW reacted to leaks, not because they were ready and willing. It stands to reason that Squats and World Eaters, factions GW was not pressured into acknowledging, come first.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in ro
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





 Geifer wrote:
Chaos Daemons are likely just a book, and maybe has the new Daemon Prince release alongside it. That's not going to get in the way of anything.

We got a Guard preview because GW reacted to leaks, not because they were ready and willing. It stands to reason that Squats and World Eaters, factions GW was not pressured into acknowledging, come first.

The mega leak from last year had Daemons on the list as getting some new stuff, so it's probable they'll get at least a few things. The codex is painfully slim even a decade on.

World Eaters I'm betting are the 10th edition focus. I reckon they were only announced so early because the CSM codex missing them was pretty much a confirmation by itself.
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







Im kind of expecting something in August, seems doable.

   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Arbitrator wrote:
The mega leak from last year had Daemons on the list as getting some new stuff, so it's probable they'll get at least a few things. The codex is painfully slim even a decade on.


I can't say I remember any Daemon kits on that list. Been a while since I saw it, though.

 NAVARRO wrote:
Im kind of expecting something in August, seems doable.


Chaos Marines were likely supposed to come before Horus Heresy. Now they're after and it's only the book while the models are still without a release date. I'm not saying Squats can't come in August, but maybe more conservative expectations are in order to avoid disappointment.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





I'd be surprised if they dropped before the end of the year ngl.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





(HN) wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I'm tired (heh) of all the hovering flyers everywhere, I want to see some ground-based vehicles for once again. Everyone and their mother gets flying tanks nowadays.
I await the various conversion kits...

It's honestly shocking how much better this is compared to the original.


That pic has been around for a while.

It looks horrible
   
Made in us
Powerful Ushbati





United States

 Geifer wrote:
 Crimson wrote:
So is there any idea of when the range will actually be released?


Nothing official. We can make a guess that it's this year because GW is not likely to announce Squats so early if they're only released next year, even if we account for the desire to make an April Fool's joke out of the announcement. And that it's before World Eaters because GW has announced Squats earlier and had a lot more Squat related previews than World Eaters. It might be between September and November, and provided it's before World eaters, it's likely sooner than later. But that's all just guesswork. Realistically we don't even have any idea what's going on with the Chaos models that are at best coming the week after the new paints.

We may have a better idea once GW has another preview event. I think aside from the Chaos Marine kits and Warcry we don't have any big stuff left from the last previews.


They straight up said it would be this year.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






The last hover vehicle was what, the Gladiator? And before that, the Repulsor Executioner? But we've also gotten 6 ork buggies and a beast wagon, sisters rhino, immolator, exorcist, and castigator, hh deimos rhino, spartan, kratos and soon sicaran. Plus the 2 chaos knights.

It's mostly been wheels, tracks, and legs, not hover.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Release also depends on if GW has something big up their sleeve for Age of Sigmar. Because they were teased so far ahead of their main release its possible that there are other very major releases still to come before them. Since GW's typical preview period is around 3 months or so.

Print Hunter
Check out the latest 3D print model releases!  
   
Made in ro
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





May also be the inevitable army box releases a month or two ahead of the rest of the range. Wasn't there a pretty decent gap of several months between the Sister box and the rest?
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Quasistellar wrote:
(HN) wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I'm tired (heh) of all the hovering flyers everywhere, I want to see some ground-based vehicles for once again. Everyone and their mother gets flying tanks nowadays.
I await the various conversion kits...

It's honestly shocking how much better this is compared to the original.


That pic has been around for a while.

It looks horrible


Agreed. If that photoshopped bike was what had been first presented then the community would have eagerly taken massive dumps all over it. It looks like a low tech farmers tractor lol.

I do prefer the beard and sunglasses instead of the female squat head admittedly, but I wouldnt be surprised if a bearded head comes with the sprue as an alternative option.


Why do you just keep repeating "They're unique!" as if that's what's disliked? The issue has nothing to do with the Unique DAoT Astronaut style. The unique direction of high-tech Sci-fi Armoured Astrnoauts is great, no problems with that idea at all.

But if you've paid attention to the Leagues so far I don't see how you can think that they're "abandoning the Dwarf feel".



Amusing that you felt the need to quite literally retype my comment to change the meaning, and then state out of nowhere that I was referring to what so far appears to be unused concept art and not solely the models.

"Abandoning the Dwarf feel" does not even remotely equal: "Abandon going hard on the crowd pleasing generic dwarven feel (on the models we have seen so far and that we are talking about)."

But nice attempt to twist things.

I notice the models we have seen so far do not match up with the concept you are flapping around btw. And thank god for that, have you seen how weird the backs of the squats heads are in that concept art? The models don't have earrings like that portrait, nor do they have the scrolls on the armour. They very clearly looked at that concept art and decided to go down a subtler path with more unique thematics with the models, or at minimum this is how they are intentionally presenting them initially so they can avoid being pigeon holed into dwarfiness.

The environment piece might end up what some commander model looks like, but so far we have seen zero indication of that so its a moot point.


This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2022/06/29 17:15:26


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Togusa wrote:
Spoiler:
 Geifer wrote:
 Crimson wrote:
So is there any idea of when the range will actually be released?


Nothing official. We can make a guess that it's this year because GW is not likely to announce Squats so early if they're only released next year, even if we account for the desire to make an April Fool's joke out of the announcement. And that it's before World Eaters because GW has announced Squats earlier and had a lot more Squat related previews than World Eaters. It might be between September and November, and provided it's before World eaters, it's likely sooner than later. But that's all just guesswork. Realistically we don't even have any idea what's going on with the Chaos models that are at best coming the week after the new paints.

We may have a better idea once GW has another preview event. I think aside from the Chaos Marine kits and Warcry we don't have any big stuff left from the last previews.


They straight up said it would be this year.


Thanks for the reminder.

 Arbitrator wrote:
May also be the inevitable army box releases a month or two ahead of the rest of the range. Wasn't there a pretty decent gap of several months between the Sister box and the rest?


Sisters got the launch box in November (and thereby technically complied with GW's promise that Sisters would see a release in 2019). The codex and first half of the model kits followed in January, the second half in March.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in fi
Calculating Commissar







Quasistellar wrote:

That pic has been around for a while.

It looks horrible

I'm not a huge fan of it either. If the vehicle was just a ground trike, having it be that big would be kind of too goofy and the balloon tyres aren't exactly my favorite thing in the world. Having the physically shortest guys own the heaviest bikes might work, but to me it'd come across as too comical.

So dig me a grave where I can rave and scribble for all time
Dig me a grave where I can vent articulate splenetic rhyme
Dig me a grave where I can nurture a hatred most sublime
For the fools who made this mess and think it not a crime 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





derpherp wrote:
Quasistellar wrote:
(HN) wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I'm tired (heh) of all the hovering flyers everywhere, I want to see some ground-based vehicles for once again. Everyone and their mother gets flying tanks nowadays.
I await the various conversion kits...

It's honestly shocking how much better this is compared to the original.


T

Why do you just keep repeating "They're unique!" as if that's what's disliked? The issue has nothing to do with the Unique DAoT Astronaut style. The unique direction of high-tech Sci-fi Armoured Astrnoauts is great, no problems with that idea at all.

But if you've paid attention to the Leagues so far I don't see how you can think that they're "abandoning the Dwarf feel".



Amusing that you felt the need to quite literally retype my comment to change the meaning, and then state out of nowhere that I was referring to what so far appears to be unused concept art and not solely the models.

"Abandoning the Dwarf feel" does not even remotely equal: "Abandon going hard on the crowd pleasing generic dwarven feel (on the models we have seen so far and that we are talking about)."

But nice attempt to twist things.

I notice the models we have seen so far do not match up with the concept you are flapping around btw. And thank god for that, have you seen how weird the backs of the squats heads are in that concept art? The models don't have earrings like that portrait, nor do they have the scrolls on the armour. They very clearly looked at that concept art and decided to go down a subtler path with more unique thematics with the models, or at minimum this is how they are intentionally presenting them initially so they can avoid being pigeon holed into dwarfiness.

The environment piece might end up what some commander model looks like, but so far we have seen zero indication of that so its a moot point.


Ok then, based on this post and the tone of your previous posts, i'm not going to bother responding after so many replies worded in a way that comes across as if you're not trying to discuss this in good faith. Utterly absurd how you for some strange reason think that summarizing things as "abandoning the Dwarf feel" rather than "Abandoning going hard on the Dwarf feel" was some attempt to twist things. They're both the same point of having a lack of the Dwarf aspects to a significant extent, that didn't "twist things" and wasn't some purposeful slight against you like you're trying to portray it as.

Outside of that though....seriously? It's evident you haven't paid any attention to the Leagues but are still trying to act like you know what's going on. Here's something that you might find a big surprise; That's not any of the units we've seen so far, that's the elite Exo-suit, so of course it doesn't match any of the models we've seen. That artwork of the head isn't "concept art", that isn't a test direction that they decided to then change to make subtler, that's artwork to show the Leagues as they are in the same way all the other armies art is for them. If you'd paid attention to the Leagues Lore you would know why the heads are like that there too.

And you're still repeating the same "they'd be pigeon holed into dwarfiness" nonsense which shows you've still missed the point entirely despite it being explained several times; a small amount of that dwarf theming present on the basic infantry would not be some overdone extremely Dwarfy change, and its strange if you think that the core units of a faction shouldn't be an indicator of the overall direction...and as has been said already, that stuff would showcase their lore further with the heritage and culture connections, something that's not even there to the same extent it is for the Genestealer cults, Tau, Necrons, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Mechanicus, Orks or Chaos.

Now you're also trying to say that what we've seen of the Leagues isn't an indicator of how the Leagues will be so you can conveniently dismiss that artwork that shows the Dwarf theme they have (Like, it's not just the commander guy in that artwork - there are other Dwarf themed elements in the background style).

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at 2022/06/29 20:02:12


 
   
Made in gb
Utilizing Careful Highlighting




U.k

Spoiler:
 Mentlegen324 wrote:
derpherp wrote:

Okay, then what other reason is there to abandon going hard on the crowd pleasing generic dwarven feel other than wanting to build a dwarf that feels unique to 40k? Because I look at the pattern of previous imported races and that seems to be what they like doing.



Why do you just keep repeating "They're unique!" as if that's what's disliked? The issue has nothing to do with the Unique DAoT Astronaut style. The unique direction of high-tech Sci-fi Armoured Astrnoauts is great, no problems with that idea at all.

But if you've paid attention to the Leagues so far I don't see how you can think that they're "abandoning the Dwarf feel".

Lore wise? Short stocky Space Miners and master craftsmen with grudges, beards, beer, dislike of Elves, Ancestor worship, importance of their heritage and culture. They're Space Dwarfs themed with their lore.

Aesthetics? They are also themed on being Space Dwarfs with the various runes, decoration, patterns, beards, hammers and picks etc:










Several bits of the Dwarf Archetype theming seen there. They're a unique take on the Dwarf Archetype both in their lore and their look.

So show the theming that's part of them both in their lore and in other parts of their model range by having some of that on the basic infantry that makes up the core of their army. Do you honestly see that Dwarf animal banner thing on the Theyn Model there and go "Yes, that fits in with the look of the rest of the Squad perfectly fine"? Without the Dwarf aesthetics of the Leagues being present throughout the model range to a slight extent like on the rest of the Hearthkin Squad, the Hernkin Triker, or the Ironkin, it feels randomly stuck on and jarring rather than integrated in a way that feels natural to the model range overall. I really don't get how this is such a difficult thing to understand.

And really, Jervis says right there that they were removed because their theme revolving around Short silly bikers named Squats was a bad idea to use in their implementation of the Dwarf Archetype whereas the master craftsmen with big ornate handcrafted war machines was a better direction for the Dwarf Archetype...so you've decided that what he really meant was he didn't like the Dwarf aesthetics?


 NAVARRO wrote:
Its the 3rd time this discussion of " they are not good dwarf designs cause they need loads of little icons spam to make them so " leads to nothing. I can understand new people chipping in but the same posters flooding the same opinion does not help. Its just spam.

Squats designs are fresh deal with it. Some people dont like tau some do, some think Primaris are the work of the devil others love it.
Point being opinions are great but become obnoxious if you behave like a broken record and keep on spamming.


Oh look, it's the same meaningless obtuse non-argument of "You just want them to be Fantasy Dwarfs!" that keeps getting parroted even though it completely misses the point.

Andykp wrote:
(HN) wrote:
Andykp wrote:
Hostile much? And see if you can squeeze a few more clichés in there too, try virtue signalling, that one always goes down well. You’re a real treat.


End of the day votann will look how they look. Don’t like it, tough I guess. I am still excited for this release. The new models look good to me, and only question mark is in bigger vehicles really?


Seems a little odd to say that having usual dwarf elements of runes and such would make them just "boring fantasy Dwarfs in space" and then say you like the look of the Leagues, considering that Dwarf aesthetic is undeniably a part of them.


I don’t think I did say that. I said I’m glad they are not covered I dwarf stuff, and aren’t just fantasy dwarfs ported over. I like the look of modern sleek but functional armour, the characters look more ornate but that’s cool too. The silly runic stuff on the leaders looks optional so might leave that off, not so keen. Less beards more guns, it looking good.

So, are annoyed that they aren’t dwarfy enough? Cos now you are saying they are dwarfy?
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

 Arbitrator wrote:
May also be the inevitable army box releases a month or two ahead of the rest of the range. Wasn't there a pretty decent gap of several months between the Sister box and the rest?


Sisters were slightly different in that they were a returning not a new army.
GW tends to prefer to launch new armies with multiple smaller boxes to present the option of a lower buy-in price to make them more tempting. SoB could survive a big expensive collectors box because they've had marketing behind them for over a decade (even if for a long period they were neglected). Squats are so so soooooooo old that they don't really have that same power.

I would expect a first wave of models in regular boxed sets along with your standard codex, cards, dice etc.... If GW wants to make them different or push them even more then they'll get what Lumineth got - a fairly quick second wave of models.

Print Hunter
Check out the latest 3D print model releases!  
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Gathering the Informations.

 Overread wrote:

I would expect a first wave of models in regular boxed sets along with your standard codex, cards, dice etc.... If GW wants to make them different or push them even more then they'll get what Lumineth got - a fairly quick second wave of models.

As a reminder, the Lumineth wasn't intended to be like that for its setup.

Anyways, OK_E on Reddit has Guard as after Chaos and Daemons but before Leagues.

In case anyone wants to see the leak list from 2021:
Spoiler:
   
Made in gb
Utilizing Careful Highlighting




U.k

 Kanluwen wrote:
 Overread wrote:

I would expect a first wave of models in regular boxed sets along with your standard codex, cards, dice etc.... If GW wants to make them different or push them even more then they'll get what Lumineth got - a fairly quick second wave of models.

As a reminder, the Lumineth wasn't intended to be like that for its setup.

Anyways, OK_E on Reddit has Guard as after Chaos and Daemons but before Leagues.

In case anyone wants to see the leak list from 2021:
Spoiler:


I’m not aware of what went on with lumineth, what’s the story, thought it odd that they got big waves close together, thought it was just what they planned? Could you elaborate for those of us who are ignorant (me )
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Gathering the Informations.

Basically, you can see when reading the initial launch book that they planned to have at least the Wind() and Stone Temple stuff(a big chunk of wave 1, but not in the launch box) in there, along with a fleshed out character roster. There was some scuttlebutt floating around about their printers having some C19 related issues in the run-up to 2020, with a few claims that GW rushed the initial book to just make sure that SOMETHING got out there.

Remember that the "second wave"? It was basically the clamshell allotment that most of the AoS armies have, with a few boxes thrown in too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/29 23:07:49


 
   
Made in gb
Utilizing Careful Highlighting




U.k

 Kanluwen wrote:
Basically, you can see when reading the initial launch book that they planned to have at least the Wind() and Stone Temple stuff(a big chunk of wave 1, but not in the launch box) in there, along with a fleshed out character roster. There was some scuttlebutt floating around about their printers having some C19 related issues in the run-up to 2020, with a few claims that GW rushed the initial book to just make sure that SOMETHING got out there.

Remember that the "second wave"? It was basically the clamshell allotment that most of the AoS armies have, with a few boxes thrown in too.


Cheers wasn’t aware of that. Did seem out the way they came out.
   
Made in us
Winged Kroot Vulture






My money is, quite literally, on a Xmas release at the earliest.

LoV would be a great bump to their holiday sales.

I quite interested in seeing the full range.

I'm back! 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Andykp wrote:
Spoiler:
 Mentlegen324 wrote:
derpherp wrote:

Okay, then what other reason is there to abandon going hard on the crowd pleasing generic dwarven feel other than wanting to build a dwarf that feels unique to 40k? Because I look at the pattern of previous imported races and that seems to be what they like doing.



Why do you just keep repeating "They're unique!" as if that's what's disliked? The issue has nothing to do with the Unique DAoT Astronaut style. The unique direction of high-tech Sci-fi Armoured Astrnoauts is great, no problems with that idea at all.

But if you've paid attention to the Leagues so far I don't see how you can think that they're "abandoning the Dwarf feel".

Lore wise? Short stocky Space Miners and master craftsmen with grudges, beards, beer, dislike of Elves, Ancestor worship, importance of their heritage and culture. They're Space Dwarfs themed with their lore.

Aesthetics? They are also themed on being Space Dwarfs with the various runes, decoration, patterns, beards, hammers and picks etc:










Several bits of the Dwarf Archetype theming seen there. They're a unique take on the Dwarf Archetype both in their lore and their look.

So show the theming that's part of them both in their lore and in other parts of their model range by having some of that on the basic infantry that makes up the core of their army. Do you honestly see that Dwarf animal banner thing on the Theyn Model there and go "Yes, that fits in with the look of the rest of the Squad perfectly fine"? Without the Dwarf aesthetics of the Leagues being present throughout the model range to a slight extent like on the rest of the Hearthkin Squad, the Hernkin Triker, or the Ironkin, it feels randomly stuck on and jarring rather than integrated in a way that feels natural to the model range overall. I really don't get how this is such a difficult thing to understand.

And really, Jervis says right there that they were removed because their theme revolving around Short silly bikers named Squats was a bad idea to use in their implementation of the Dwarf Archetype whereas the master craftsmen with big ornate handcrafted war machines was a better direction for the Dwarf Archetype...so you've decided that what he really meant was he didn't like the Dwarf aesthetics?


 NAVARRO wrote:
Its the 3rd time this discussion of " they are not good dwarf designs cause they need loads of little icons spam to make them so " leads to nothing. I can understand new people chipping in but the same posters flooding the same opinion does not help. Its just spam.

Squats designs are fresh deal with it. Some people dont like tau some do, some think Primaris are the work of the devil others love it.
Point being opinions are great but become obnoxious if you behave like a broken record and keep on spamming.


Oh look, it's the same meaningless obtuse non-argument of "You just want them to be Fantasy Dwarfs!" that keeps getting parroted even though it completely misses the point.

Andykp wrote:
(HN) wrote:
Andykp wrote:
Hostile much? And see if you can squeeze a few more clichés in there too, try virtue signalling, that one always goes down well. You’re a real treat.


End of the day votann will look how they look. Don’t like it, tough I guess. I am still excited for this release. The new models look good to me, and only question mark is in bigger vehicles really?


Seems a little odd to say that having usual dwarf elements of runes and such would make them just "boring fantasy Dwarfs in space" and then say you like the look of the Leagues, considering that Dwarf aesthetic is undeniably a part of them.


I don’t think I did say that. I said I’m glad they are not covered I dwarf stuff, and aren’t just fantasy dwarfs ported over. I like the look of modern sleek but functional armour, the characters look more ornate but that’s cool too. The silly runic stuff on the leaders looks optional so might leave that off, not so keen. Less beards more guns, it looking good.

So, are annoyed that they aren’t dwarfy enough? Cos now you are saying they are dwarfy?


To me it's an issue of that the theming that is part of the Leagues style and their lore is then missing from the miniatures that we've seen almost entirely, outside of on the Theyn banner thing, when it should be present in small amounts throughout their miniatures so something like that fits in in a natural way and doesn't seem jarring. It'll clearly be present on more elite models but that is besides the point as it's lack of it on the basic infantry that makes something like that banner seems out of place, if they had a little of it there wouldn't be as much of a clash. They don't need to be covered all over in runes and ornate elements and all that because that would be too much, just that culture/heritage aspect done to the same degree other armies get their level of faction identity shown on the miniatures so it's overall more cohesive. The modern sleek DAoT armoured astronaut thing a cool direction to that them but its the other side of the Leagues identity that isn't really present on the Hearthkin/Ironkin/Hernkin when it should be.

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 2022/06/30 01:20:33


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





 Mentlegen324 wrote:

To me it's an issue of that the theming that is part of the Leagues style and their lore is then missing from the miniatures that we've seen almost entirely, outside of on the Theyn banner thing, when it should be present in small amounts throughout their miniatures so something like that fits in in a natural way and doesn't seem jarring. It'll clearly be present on more elite models but that is besides the point as it's lack of it on the basic infantry that makes something like that banner seems out of place, if they had a little of it there wouldn't be as much of a clash. They don't need to be covered all over in runes and ornate elements and all that because that would be too much, just that culture/heritage aspect done to the same degree other armies get their level of faction identity shown on the miniatures so it's overall more cohesive. The modern sleek DAoT armoured astronaut thing a cool direction to that them but its the other side of the Leagues identity that isn't really present on the Hearthkin/Ironkin/Hernkin when it should be.


Even if you totally ignore the whole "dwarf" thing. Their armor is just not good looking, mainly because of the stupid legs that just dont match with the heavy upper part of the armor.
Instead of having a good silhouette that conveil the idea of a sturdy unit, like the necrosquats, these guys just look silly.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: