Mezmaron wrote:I just listened and was curious about one thing. I believe Yak said he was satisfied with 85% of the changes made in 5th Edition. What would the other 15% be that they could have addressed and didn't?
I wasn't sure if his mention and concern about future FAQs was the remaining 15%, or if there was something else he wished would have been addressed.
Very interesting show - I enjoyed it.
85% was a pretty rough estimate, and yes most of the things I wish they'd change stem from the fact that those ideas are 'locked into' the existing codices.
I too would really like a full 'reboot' of the system (wiping out all the existing codices), but I understand that such a thing is very unpopular with many players and is pretty much a disaster from a marketing standpoint of the game (codices, besides containing rules, are also a tool for retailers to sell models).
One of the most fundamental flaws with the game, IMHO
is the force organization chart. I would love to see it changed to something similar to fantasy, but of course doing so would contradict all the existing codices.
I'd ike to see vehicle fire arcs written into vehicle codex entries, as well as a descriptor in each vehicle's codex entry telling what weapons were "main" or "defensive" rather than having them on a rigid Strength based system. This would allow individual vehicles within a codex to be balanced at the designer's whims rather than having to create special rules to allow a vehicle to fire more than one weapon on the move.
I like the idea of 'Kill Points' (i.e. a simplified version of victory points) but I think they would need to be assigned on a unit by unit basis in each codex to make them really truly balanced. But again, this is something that really should be tackled in each codex rather than the main rules.
When it comes to the main game rules, I am quite pleased but I really would have liked to see them address the issue (IMHO
) of Monstrous Creatures (and other multi-wound models that ignore instant death) being far too resilient. I would have *loved* for them to include a rule that weapons which always
inflict instant death regardless of a model's toughness cause models who ignore the instant death rule to suffer D3 wounds instead of just one.
That way, something like a Force weapon would still be useful against creatures who are immune to instant death but wouldn't necessarily be completely lethal. I think it would have been a good balance.
Also, I'm not entirely happy with how they attempted to balance vehicles by making them have to stay still in order to fire all their weapons. I think a balance *was* necessary, but with everything else in the game gaining mobility with the inclusion of the 'run' rule, vehicles really seem to be an oddity now.