Switch Theme:

[Heavy Gear] General Discussion Thread  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Why did you never start or alternately stop playing/collecting Heavy Gear?
Never heard of it... what's Heavy Gear?
Don't like the mech minis genre in general.
Don't like the look of Heavy Gear specifically (art, minis, etc).
Don't like the price of Heavy Gear (books, minis, etc).
Don't like the mechanics of the game/silhouette system.
Don't like edition changes in Heavy Gear every 2-3 years.
Couldn't find any opponents to play against.
Couldn't find any of the products locally to buy.
Other (please elaborate below)
Inadequate support from DP9 (expansions, communication with fans, FAQs, etc).
Power creep and unequal efficacy between factions.
Poor resource management (playtesters, freelancers, website, etc) by DP9.

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 Vaktathi wrote:
The resins are actually all cast by Fusion Models if I remember correctly. With regards to the metals, I've had lots of clean sculpts, a fair number of minor issues, and handful of unusable models (replacements were sent), I think it depends on who's doing casting that day

The CEF metals are unusually expensive, above and beyond most of the rest of the lineup, not entirely sure why specifically.


I'm sure getting replacements is easy when you are in the same continent. Alas...
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




The new 3.1 beta rules look to really nerf polar light tanks pretty hard to the point where it's basically better to take a fire support gear instead :/
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Pretty much.
Crossbow grizzlies are significantly better now, despite a points increase.
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 Mmmpi wrote:
Pretty much.
Crossbow grizzlies are significantly better now, despite a points increase.


Well, that is disappointing.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Yup.

And I have 8 Klemms.

So much for not changing anyone's lists...
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






So... 3d preview of the first golem... and for some reason I assumed those were wheels of some kind. And they're not.

Spoiler:




Goodness gracious, they are actually hover thrusters. That... looks monumentally stupid, and horribly unbalanced, like "imma gonna faceplant now mum!" unbalanced.

At least hovertanks and the like seem to have actual wige and maneuvering surfaces, while... this... really, really does not.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/03/29 17:20:51


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

 Albertorius wrote:
So... 3d preview of the first golem... and for some reason I assumed those were wheels of some kind. And they're not.

*snip*

Goodness gracious, they are actually hover thrusters. That... looks monumentally stupid, and horribly unbalanced, like "imma gonna faceplant now mum!" unbalanced.

At least hovertanks and the like seem to have actual wige and maneuvering surfaces, while... this... really, really does not.


I like them. FWIW, they don't need wings or maneuvering surfaces when you have independently positioned thruster balls providing lift/thrust/maneuvering.

We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 warboss wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
So... 3d preview of the first golem... and for some reason I assumed those were wheels of some kind. And they're not.

*snip*

Goodness gracious, they are actually hover thrusters. That... looks monumentally stupid, and horribly unbalanced, like "imma gonna faceplant now mum!" unbalanced.

At least hovertanks and the like seem to have actual wige and maneuvering surfaces, while... this... really, really does not.


I like them. FWIW, they don't need wings or maneuvering surfaces when you have independently positioned thruster balls providing lift/thrust/maneuvering.


You totally do, actually ^^. Unless you just wanna topple over, that is . It's either that or you distribute your weight as evenly as you can and move the vertical thrusters to put them as far away from the others as you possible can to try and generate lift, and you put the weight below the thrust. That's why most (all) the 4-fans drones are as they are, and even the Gravity jetpack follows just about the same form factor instead of strapping thrusters to your legs. This guy is umbalanced as all heck and horribly top heavy. And then there's the lance, of course. hell, even

Anyways, I didn't mind the look until I saw them floating, then my brain went all "what in the flying feth".

I think I would not feel that strongly if it was an actual hover vehicle (some centimeters above the ground) instead of magicky scifi hover tech (toss coin between antigrav or actually wige) or vectored thrust. Were it floating centimeters above the ground on an air cushion it would certainly would not feel in the process of faceplanting.

At the end of the day it's mostly a visceral reaction more than anything else.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2022/03/29 17:35:02


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

 Albertorius wrote:
This guy is umbalanced as all heck and horribly top heavy. And then there's the lance, of course. hell, even

Anyways, I didn't mind the look until I saw them floating, then my brain went all "what in the flying feth".


I agree it's top heavy but picking up litter probably isn't a priority. My point was that the hoverballs can provide the stability and maneuverability and that, for me, is enough science in my fiction to be ok with the design. It certainly doesn't hurt admittedly that I like the asthetic as well. I fully agree that positioning them further out from the center of gravity would result in a more stable design but maybe they extend partly out on rails? Did they publish the assembly guide/parts list yet? I'd assume the balls are separate and convertable potentially for those interested in conversions and bothered by the mechanics.

At the end of the day it's mostly a visceral reaction more than anything else.


I get it. I still vurp a little every time I come across a picture of a gearstrider.

We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in ca
Fireknife Shas'el






Saw this video today and I wonder if Dream Pod 9 will consider going this route. Apparently Corvus Belli is starting to switch some stuff from metal to this Siocast stuff (soft plastic in rubber injection molds), and Reaper has already switched some of their stuff to it.




Seems like a happy middle ground; metal casting times and detail (less vents though, they use a vacuum pump before injection), plastic material costs. Nice to see casting technology get a new development.

Also seems fairly ideal for switching expensive Heavy Gear resin/metal models into plastic without resculpting them.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

Good video. I wonder what kind of poseability options for one piece minis that allows (i.e. do you have to have the dreaded 2d all in one plane mini like the old 2nd edition 40k marine characters) or if you can have things sticking out at different angles to some limited degree.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/04/18 21:59:32


We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in ca
Fireknife Shas'el






Probably about the same as for metals. The molds have to be vulcanized before you can start casting stuff.

Not an issue for Heavy Gear stuff that's already being done that way.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

I was just trying to think of what new options this could offer a small company like dp9. If they could offer one piece or preassembled non-fragile minis in a squad starter box as an option for example without outsourcing to China.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/04/19 11:25:07


We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 John Prins wrote:
Probably about the same as for metals. The molds have to be vulcanized before you can start casting stuff.

Not an issue for Heavy Gear stuff that's already being done that way.


I've had some siocast models on hand, and the detail is very good, up there with most metal casts I've seen and (the good) PVC minis from boardgames, slightly less crisp than the best resin casts like Artel's.

Poseability wise, it should allow anything that resins or metals currently allow, wo it will very much depend on the sculpt.
   
Made in ca
Fireknife Shas'el






 Albertorius wrote:


I've had some siocast models on hand, and the detail is very good, up there with most metal casts I've seen and (the good) PVC minis from boardgames, slightly less crisp than the best resin casts like Artel's.

Poseability wise, it should allow anything that resins or metals currently allow, wo it will very much depend on the sculpt.


Glad to hear from someone with experience with siocast models. I'm tempted to order a Reaper model or three to see how they turn out.

I also wonder if the molds would last longer with Siocast, as hot plastic is probably a lot cooler than hot metal, though you do have the added stress of the vacuum phase of the injection process. Though the exact rubber composition probably isn't the same as with metal casting molds either.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

My box of shame from five years ago didn't teach me any lessons apparently. I lucked out an got another RAFM haul recently technically NIB but more accurately falling out of the blisters due to the plastic cracking/disintegrating (hence the baggies once I got things mostly put back in place) but still... Some are repeats but at least a couple were on my want list and one was definitely on my must have list.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/25 19:00:38


We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block






 warboss wrote:
My box of shame from five years ago didn't teach me any lessons apparently. I lucked out an got another RAFM haul recently technically NIB but more accurately falling out of the blisters due to the plastic cracking/disintegrating (hence the baggies once I got things mostly put back in place) but still... Some are repeats but at least a couple were on my want list and one was definitely on my must have list.



Spill the beans? What didya get? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ashley
--
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/ 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

It was fortunately a wide variety across all the major categories (trooper, scout, elite, heavy) for both factions but the must have for me was a King Cobra as I'd been looking for one for years without luck (missing out on some reasonably priced ones or being priced out of the rest). I also needed southern recon units as I only had a single iguana in my megalot from five years ago.

There are others on my buy list still like stealth gears (mamba and jaguar specifically) as I'd ideally like to be able to make a stealth sub-unit/squad (whatever the two gear minimum attachment to a normal squad is) for each faction as well as alternatively four each in my squads (instead of the current three) without repeats. This definitely isn't a "tournament" style list made to win but rather just a collection specifically for variety.

We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in ca
Hubcap



Austin, TX

John Prins wrote:Saw this video today and I wonder if Dream Pod 9 will consider going this route.

Also seems fairly ideal for switching expensive Heavy Gear resin/metal models into plastic without resculpting them.


There's two big problems with Siocast.

1) Siocast is the only source for siocast material as of right now. Going Siocast locks you into a single-source for production which isn't a concern at all for one-and-done things like board games or kickstarters, but for a company in it for the long run, that means if the cost of materials goes up, or Siocast just feels like making more profits that quarter, you bend over and take.

Anyone in production for a decent amount of times knows the dangers of winding up single sourced. It's a bad business move.

2) Throwing all the old molds out and buying new ones is a massive investment, well above the size of their previous kickstarters for up front costs. The pod just don't operate with that kind of budget. If they were ever to go down that route, because the material becomes multi-sourcable for instance, they'd do what CB is doing and replace old molds as they break on a slow transition.

John Prins wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
I also wonder if the molds would last longer with Siocast, as hot plastic is probably a lot cooler than hot metal, though you do have the added stress of the vacuum phase of the injection process. Though the exact rubber composition probably isn't the same as with metal casting molds either.


Average siocast mold life is 400 runs with quite a bit of variance depending on the intricacy of the pieces. Most molds can fit at least 5 32mm figures, but you can fit more if they don't have complex poses, optional pieces, or are just smaller scale. Source; dude in the area did a kickstarter and had Reaper do the Siocasting for it. Prices are under NDA and he said were hugely dependently on how many, delivered when, on what timeline, and the complexity of the models, so it's pretty hard to just throw out a number that means anything.

warboss wrote:There are others on my buy list still like stealth gears (mamba and jaguar specifically) as I'd ideally like to be able to make a stealth sub-unit/squad (whatever the two gear minimum attachment to a normal squad is) for each faction as well as alternatively four each in my squads (instead of the current three) without repeats. This definitely isn't a "tournament" style list made to win but rather just a collection specifically for variety.


Time and again I get a pack from DP9 and like the figures more in person than on the store. Nearly done (decals, varnish, basing) with a pair of Chameleons from the Southern spec-ops squad.
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






I wonder just how expensive is it to buy DP9 stuff currently from anywhere outside of North America, what with the insane increase in shipping costs and all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/07/06 09:06:55


 
   
Made in ru
Slippery Scout Biker





Back in 2010, when Heavy Gear started (and quickly stopped) gaining some sembalance of traction over here, a lot of people initially interested were put off by prices - and that was during the time when it was almost certainly either you play GW or you play nothing, so high prices for anything model related were a given. I can only speculate this place is not the only one with similar opinion.
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 SgtBANZAI wrote:
Back in 2010, when Heavy Gear started (and quickly stopped) gaining some sembalance of traction over here, a lot of people initially interested were put off by prices - and that was during the time when it was almost certainly either you play GW or you play nothing, so high prices for anything model related were a given. I can only speculate this place is not the only one with similar opinion.


DP9 prices have always given GW a run for their money, that's not new. I was thinking exclusively in terms of "shipping + customs charges on top of GW-level prices".

Back then it basically doubled the original price, nowadays I can only wonder... and probably, be horrified.
   
Made in pa
Ariadna Berserk Highlander




Panama

In Panama shipping from the USA is still quite cheap thankfully. Something good for being part of their backyard.

Costs of miniatures on the other hand, not just Heavy Gear, are something else because of the cost of living vs average income of the average wargamer. But still affordable.

There is a pair of hobby stores, both have products at a bit of a mark up for all board, RPG and wargames but still affordable, and purchasing direct from USA is cheaper. People buy from the stores because they like to cooperate with the local business and because you don't have to wait for shipping.
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






Well, good to hear not everyone gets shafted, at least
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Albertorius wrote:
I wonder just how expensive is it to buy DP9 stuff currently from anywhere outside of North America, what with the insane increase in shipping costs and all.


To the point where it is not economicly worth it, shipping expenses and tax will allways ruin it.

You pay 125 USD for the 2p starter, then you need to pay 42USD for postal airmail shipping according to their site info if that is even a current price (if fedex or ups option had existed you could change that to 60-80 USD) then since there is no VAT you have to pay import tax on collection, so that means for my country prolly about 50-70 USD. (and had there still been VAT included in the price, i would still need to pay some form of customs tax)

And ofc there is the shipping time that for example my my country, would be 4-5 weeks.

So that is basicly pay for two 2p starter sets, recive only one. That is why buying minis that is not allready in a european or scandenavia country (and uk is no longer part of EU as everyone should know by now) is NOT worth it as a private person living in EU or scandenavia.

If a mini game/brand wants to make an entrance into EU, they either need a product EU destribution hub, local shop importers or sell STL print files of their minis.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/07/07 07:57:47


darkswordminiatures.com
gamersgrass.com
Collects: Wild West Exodus, SW Armada/Legion. Adeptus Titanicus, Dust1947. 
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






Sounds about right, yeah

OTOH, if DP9 did release decent stl files for HG or JC, I'd probably buy them all.
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Albertorius wrote:
Sounds about right, yeah

OTOH, if DP9 did release decent stl files for HG or JC, I'd probably buy them all.


As would i. but since they dont, nor have a eu destribution hub, it is a game that is practicly unavalible outside of u.s. It is sad, but that is the reality.

darkswordminiatures.com
gamersgrass.com
Collects: Wild West Exodus, SW Armada/Legion. Adeptus Titanicus, Dust1947. 
   
Made in es
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 FrozenDwarf wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
Sounds about right, yeah

OTOH, if DP9 did release decent stl files for HG or JC, I'd probably buy them all.


As would i. but since they dont, nor have a eu destribution hub, it is a game that is practicly unavalible outside of u.s. It is sad, but that is the reality.


Agreed on all accounts.
   
Made in us
Second Story Man





Astonished of Heck

I wonder how much they'd be willing to offer licensing to print them in Europe for that purpose of distribution.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
 
   
Made in us
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer






 Charistoph wrote:
I wonder how much they'd be willing to offer licensing to print them in Europe for that purpose of distribution.


Most designers offer "merchant" buy levels for that.
   
 
Forum Index » Other Sci-Fi Miniatures Games
Go to: