Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
Times and dates in your local timezone.
Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
For some time I have been building terrain. Last year I build two 4"x2" plates of urban terrain in an attempt to build my own table. However I concluded this was way to large to move and being only 3 pieces gave no way of variation. Thus I set out to build another table. This one inspired on the "Ice Mines" table in IA: Model Masterclass. That table is way to big so I had to scale it down a bit and work with the materials I had at hand.
Thus I set out, creating 6 square (2"x2") boards. Building up with Styrodur and using loads of moulded rock (about 10 half-kilo packages of model clay went into the rocks) and bits of terrain I got the six boards completed in about four months. Painting took some time and after that it was applying the snow. I tested different snows but use Krycell in the end because it falls beautifull on the rocks, terrain and wrecks. It was hard to get it right on the textured surface but it worked. The water effects were not as succesful. Liquid water was absorbed by the styrodur (which wasn't sealed all the way through (even though I used 4 liters of white glue) and seaped away completely. AK water cracked up and doesn't look right. After some extensive playtesting I will fix the water (perhaps add ice as well) and add some more snow where needed.
Alls pics made with a cellphone an bad lighting, hence the different colors. Some more pics will folow from the playtest games.
After playing some games on the tabel I found out more terrain is needed. So I used the new Killteam terrain and parts of a Landing pad. This was a blast to build.
I also had a lot of problems with the original water I used on the table. The stuff I had looks awsome, but due to the low viscocity it ran 'into' the little holes as well as the clay of the rocks, melting the snow and more stuff like that. After a 24 hours all of the water was gone....Oops. This small disaster led me to the water of another make (AK). The effect is better but still not perfect. For some reason the water 'recedes' from the edges when fully cured. The ice proved another issue as well. I would have like larger pieces, but that was impossible because of the shallowness of the water. Lot of lessons learned here for when I start on my next project.
The water "recedes" from the edges as it cures because it SHRINKS as it cures. It's pretty much why all of the clear "water effects" resins have to be done in shallow layers, and if you want a particular depth, over a space of quite a few weeks (as each layer has to cure fully before you add the next).
I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.
That is not dead which can eternal lie ...
... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.