Switch Theme:

Tournament rules for base sizes for 40k and AOS.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Been Around the Block




Doylestown, PA


As bases have an impact of the game mechanics are there any tournament official base size for 40k ?

AOS has a base chart on GW's site but not 40k.

In Chaos Daemons, the Daemonettes are on 25mm but the others, Plaguebearers, Pink Horrors and Bloodletters are on 32mm. This means that Daemonettes can fight in 2 ranks but others only 1 as 25mm is shorter than an inch and 32mm is larger than an inch.

If tournaments allow previous base sizes as the other daemons came on 25mm in older box sets how do you handle in a game ? if on 25mm do you allow them to fight in 2 ranks or play based on what base size they are suppose to be ?

Another base size change I have noticed and watched being played in the Slaanesh Seekers (75x25), but in the newest box Wrath and Rapture they along with Chaos Knights and almost anything else that was 75x25 are now on 60x35.

As some AOS cross over to 40k how are the base size handled ?

And some Forge world dont come with bases, how are they handled ?

AoS - Chaos 34280+,(Daemon 15320+, Nurgle 14110+, Khorne 12470, Tzeentch 11780+, slaanesh 8520+, Slaves 4850+, Everchosen 740+, BoC 660+, Skaven 8720+)
40K - Chaos 21022+ (Nurgle 13718+, Khorne 11757+, Daemon 11586+, Tzeentch 11382+, Slaanesh 9120+)
Trading Thread - https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/774634.page#10426221 
   
Made in us
Mighty Chosen Warrior of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

As far as I know, the only rule pertaining to bases is that use the size of the one supplied with it.
   
Made in ca
Morphing Obliterator





The Frozen North

That would be up to the individual tournament organizer to implement.

Triggerbaby wrote:In summary, here's your lunch and ask Miss Creaver if she has aloe lotion because I have taken you to school and you have been burned.

Abadabadoobaddon wrote:I too can prove pretty much any assertion I please if I don't count all the evidence that contradicts it.
 
   
Made in us
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





Denver, CO

I have old space marines which are definitely on the smaller bases. Have tournaments banned the older bases?

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey. 
   
Made in us
Buttons Should Be Brass, Not Gold!





Interesting thread.

So, fun fact- I think the base size for Primaris HQ's is dumb levels of too big. Also, sometimes I'll end up using a Lieutenant as a Sergeant.

So I use 32mm bases for them... nice, fancy bases from the Sector Mechanicus, Necromunda, Sector Imperialis, and Shattered Dominion boxes...

...I glue a magnet under them.

And then I get the big dumb 40mm bases and glue a big honkin' metal washer on it. So, when I'm playing in an environment where it matters- I just stick the 32mm base onto the stupid doodoo 40mm peasant base.

And sometimes I glue the washer near to the edge, so one side has a bigger 'gap' or 'lip'.... And I drill like 5 or 6 holes.


I know what you're thinking- that sounds ridiculous. Well, I am a ridiculous person.

But, the purpose is... I found an old 'Travel Battleship' game, salvaged some of the little pegs from it, and I put those pegs in the holes as 'wounds'. Gonna cut them down and cap them with skulls eventually.

I know, it's brilliant. You're welcome.


Putting your political and ideological opinions in your signature isn't a clever way to get past the ban.

If you can't put that aside and discuss games with other people, you probably have an obsession and need professional help. 
   
Made in se
Been Around the Block




Sweden

 MightyQue wrote:



In Chaos Daemons, the Daemonettes are on 25mm but the others, Plaguebearers, Pink Horrors and Bloodletters are on 32mm. This means that Daemonettes can fight in 2 ranks but others only 1 as 25mm is shorter than an inch and 32mm is larger than an inch.



Basically ALL models can fight in two ranks. The model behind the closest one needs to be within one inch, not WHOLLY/COMPLETELY within. The second rank models' bases could be 4* for att that rule cares. As long as the bases of the second rank even is 1mm within one inch it can fight.

" border="0" />

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/17 23:53:41


Nurgle protects
 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Doylestown, PA

Kall3m0n wrote:
 MightyQue wrote:



In Chaos Daemons, the Daemonettes are on 25mm but the others, Plaguebearers, Pink Horrors and Bloodletters are on 32mm. This means that Daemonettes can fight in 2 ranks but others only 1 as 25mm is shorter than an inch and 32mm is larger than an inch.



Basically ALL models can fight in two ranks. The model behind the closest one needs to be within one inch, not WHOLLY/COMPLETELY within. The second rank models' bases could be 4* for att that rule cares. As long as the bases of the second rank even is 1mm within one inch it can fight.

" border="0" />


32mm is 1 1/4 inch long which means 32mm cant fight in 2nd rank as it isnt within one inch of the enemy model. 25mm is 7/8 of an inch so the 2nd 25mm would be within one inch of the enemy model. Or am I reading that wrong ?

AoS - Chaos 34280+,(Daemon 15320+, Nurgle 14110+, Khorne 12470, Tzeentch 11780+, slaanesh 8520+, Slaves 4850+, Everchosen 740+, BoC 660+, Skaven 8720+)
40K - Chaos 21022+ (Nurgle 13718+, Khorne 11757+, Daemon 11586+, Tzeentch 11382+, Slaanesh 9120+)
Trading Thread - https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/774634.page#10426221 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




 MightyQue wrote:
Kall3m0n wrote:
 MightyQue wrote:



In Chaos Daemons, the Daemonettes are on 25mm but the others, Plaguebearers, Pink Horrors and Bloodletters are on 32mm. This means that Daemonettes can fight in 2 ranks but others only 1 as 25mm is shorter than an inch and 32mm is larger than an inch.



Basically ALL models can fight in two ranks. The model behind the closest one needs to be within one inch, not WHOLLY/COMPLETELY within. The second rank models' bases could be 4* for att that rule cares. As long as the bases of the second rank even is 1mm within one inch it can fight.

" border="0" />


32mm is 1 1/4 inch long which means 32mm cant fight in 2nd rank as it isnt within one inch of the enemy model. 25mm is 7/8 of an inch so the 2nd 25mm would be within one inch of the enemy model. Or am I reading that wrong ?


1st rule is measure.

In terms of ranks with 32mm bases however, if you have your 2nd rank offset by half, then if your first rank is base 2 base, the 2nd rank should also be within 1" of the enemy. Your 3rd and 4th ranks are also offset, with 3rd rank being within 1" of 1st rank, and 4th rank being within 1" of 2nd rank. It looks something like the below.

   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut




You have to be within 1" of an enemy, or within 1" of a friendly model from your unit within 1" from the enemy. So any unit can fight in two ranks, regardless of their base size.
Fighting in 3 or 4 ranks, however, is only possible for small bases.

As for the original question, we can't give you an answer. Tournament-specific rules are up to each specific tournament (by definition), so you have to check with the TO.
   
Made in us
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker





Ohio

fresus wrote:
You have to be within 1" of an enemy, or within 1" of a friendly model from your unit within 1" from the enemy. So any unit can fight in two ranks, regardless of their base size.
Fighting in 3 or 4 ranks, however, is only possible for small bases.

As for the original question, we can't give you an answer. Tournament-specific rules are up to each specific tournament (by definition), so you have to check with the TO.

Of the half dozen or so big tournaments I've been to only one enforced base size, but was weirdly only for daemons. It wasn't even an ITC but had over 100 people.
   
Made in us
Thrall Wizard of Tzeentch






I use a ogroid thaumaturge conversion for my daemon prince in my TSons army. he is supplied with a 50mm base for AoS play, but I put him on a 60mm base for 40k

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/28 02:13:18


1500pts
500pts
 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





fresus wrote:
You have to be within 1" of an enemy, or within 1" of a friendly model from your unit within 1" from the enemy. So any unit can fight in two ranks, regardless of their base size.
Fighting in 3 or 4 ranks, however, is only possible for small bases.


Or by offsetting as above.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
 
Forum Index » Tournament Discussions
Go to: