Switch Theme:

[2000] - Sylvaneth  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I'm trying to put together a semi-competitive list for local play and I'm really new to the game. I have broken it down to two different lists, both of which I equally like. I kept in mind drop# and both lists sit at 4 (if placing a reserve after every unit dropped on battlefield). I'm hoping that's at least enough for first turn if not a roll off. Both lists are Gnarlroot to take advantage of Sylvan Wizards and are hero phase heavy. My hopes are that the 2 large units of dryads can act as an anvil while the Kurnoth Hunters dish out damage (hopefully behind a stomping treelord ancient). Here they are:

1.) Alarielle List

Alarielle (660)
Chalice of Nectar
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwraith (80)
Kurnoth Hunters, GS (200)
Kurnoth Hunters, GS (200)
Dryad 30 (270)
Dryad 20 (200)
Tree Revenant (80)

1990 pts.

2.) Drycha, Mass Wyldwoods

Drycha (320)
Chalice of Nectar
Treelord Ancient (300)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwraith (80)
Kurnoth Hunters, GS (200)
Kurnoth Hunters, GS (200)
Dryad 30 (270)
Dryad 30 (270)
Gladewyrm (30)

1970 pts

Let me know what you think!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/22 21:09:01


 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon




USA

I don't think Forests Spirits work like you think. Placing a unit in reserves is it's own drop. It does not grant you a two for one. You have eight drops in both lists.

As for the lists, what else do you have available unit wise? What would you take with Allarielle's free summon?

We mortals are but shadows and dust...
6k
:harlequin: 2k
2k
2k 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Ah I see. I did misunderstand Forest Spirits. The only models I have are from the Start Collecting set so nothing is set in stone. The Alarielle summon would either be the Dryads or Kurnoth Hunters. Also contemplating the Treelord to make her as efficient as possible.
   
Made in us
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Norwalk, Connecticut

Just curious, is chalice of nectar an artifact? Who were you putting it on? Alarielle and Drycha can’t carry it, since they’re unique (unless the Sylvaneth book allows them to explicitly).

Also, aren’t the greatswords and the greatbows the two best options on the hunters? Or did scythes get better?

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon




USA

ThacZero wrote:
Ah I see. I did misunderstand Forest Spirits. The only models I have are from the Start Collecting set so nothing is set in stone. The Alarielle summon would either be the Dryads or Kurnoth Hunters. Also contemplating the Treelord to make her as efficient as possible.
In that case, I would tend towards the first list with some tweaks:

Alarielle (660) - Summons: Kurnoth Hunters, Sword (200)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwraith (80) - Chalice of Nectar (Artifact), Nurtured by Magic (General's Trait)
Kurnoth Hunters, Bow (200)
Kurnoth Hunters, Bow (200)
Dryad 30 (270)
Tree Revenant (80)
Tree Revenant (80)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Gladeword (30)
Spiteswarm (50)

Total 1990

The idea here is that the Branchwraith takes Balewind Vortex to increase the amount of spell casts each turn. Once all of the endless spells are out, she can summon a unit of Dryads a turn and cast something else (Like Verdurous Harmony to bring back the Kurnoth Hunters). Gnarlroot gives Sylvaneth rerolls, something which they sorely need, so keep the two units of bows near the Branchwraith and launch volley's at key targets each turn. Allarielle brings in a units of Sword Hunters for frontline assaulting. Don't take treelords as they are pretty bad. They degrade quickly, and don't get the benefit of cover from the Wyldwoods.

 timetowaste85 wrote:
Just curious, is chalice of nectar an artifact? Who were you putting it on? Alarielle and Drycha can’t carry it, since they’re unique (unless the Sylvaneth book allows them to explicitly).

Also, aren’t the greatswords and the greatbows the two best options on the hunters? Or did scythes get better?

Chalice of Nectar is the required artifact that the Gnarlroot Grove forces the army to take. It is pretty amazing, as it allows the caster to roll 3 dice and pick any 2 for the results.

His Kurnoth selections are listed as GS (Greatsword).

We mortals are but shadows and dust...
6k
:harlequin: 2k
2k
2k 
   
Made in us
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Norwalk, Connecticut

:Facepalm: I didn’t have my coffee yet, apparently! Lol. Total mixup on the “GS”; I took it as “great scythe”.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon




USA

 timetowaste85 wrote:
:Facepalm: I didn’t have my coffee yet, apparently! Lol. Total mixup on the “GS”; I took it as “great scythe”.
I had to check myself, but there is no great before "Scythe" it is just that description, even though the other two have Great (Sword/Bow)

We mortals are but shadows and dust...
6k
:harlequin: 2k
2k
2k 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




First of all, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Looks like I missed the ruling regarding artifacts and unique heroes so yes, the branchwraith will have the chalice of nectar. Also, where do I find Balewind? Is that a spell useable by all allegiances of is it specific to Order? Also, in what book would I find it. I love the idea of my branchwraith rolling 3 casting dice and having the ability to cast two spells in the hero phase. That seems really strong.

I'm assuming I am choosing the wraith as my general so she has access to Nurtured by Magic?

Alarielle cant summon an ancient so looks like I'd use her for Kurnoth Hunters or Dryads depending on the situation.

I like the idea of giving hunters bows because I'm lacking shooting but I heard Greatswords were the way to go, no talking from experience as I have none.

Thanks again everybody!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/23 16:32:57


 
   
Made in us
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Norwalk, Connecticut

Balewind Vortex is on the Sigmar app and is an endless spell. It’s also available to purchase for $15, so worth having. It extends the ranges of your spells and makes the caster harder to hit. Handbook 2019 has the points for it.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon




USA

ThacZero wrote:
First of all, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Looks like I missed the ruling regarding artifacts and unique heroes so yes, the branchwraith will have the chalice of nectar. Also, where do I find Balewind? Is that a spell useable by all allegiances of is it specific to Order? Also, in what book would I find it. I love the idea of my branchwraith rolling 3 casting dice and having the ability to cast two spells in the hero phase. That seems really strong.

He is a link to the Vortex: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Balewind-vortex-2016 You can find the datasheet in the App as Timetowaste85 mentioned above.

ThacZero wrote:
I'm assuming I am choosing the wraith as my general so she has access to Nurtured by Magic?

You could choose either the Branchwraith or the Ancient depending on opponent and mission. If the Branchwraith is too far away from the main force, then it won't really be helpful.

ThacZero wrote:
Alarielle cant summon an ancient so looks like I'd use her for Kurnoth Hunters or Dryads depending on the situation.

She can summon a great many things, but I'd say that Kurnoth is generally going to be your best bet. Dryads may be effective now and then though.

ThacZero wrote:
I like the idea of giving hunters bows because I'm lacking shooting but I heard Greatswords were the way to go, no talking from experience as I have none.

Greatswords are amazing for sure, but I find that bows give this army something it desperately needs: Shooting. Two units of bows and Allarielle can snipe out a pesky caster or other 5 wound hero hiding among your opponents force.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/07/23 17:31:42


We mortals are but shadows and dust...
6k
:harlequin: 2k
2k
2k 
   
Made in ca
Death-Dealing Ultramarine Devastator






I've been finding treelords to be not worth it as well, but that's just coming down to bad luck. I've ran a list with two a few times, plus a Treelord Ancient, and never got off a single Stomp.

And of course, on the turns where you would want to have a hero phase next and get to heal your wounded treelords, you get hit with a double turn every time.

Kurnoth Hunters really just feel so much better and reliable than Treelords. Their damage output is less swingy, doesn't degrade so hard with losing models or just taking damage, and returning models is a big boon.

 Rippy wrote:
When you lose to a 7 year old, it's wise to not come and admit it and then try to blame the armies
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Made a few changes and have settled on this. Let me know what you think

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot
LEADERS
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Deepwood Spell : Deadly Harvest
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact : Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony
UNITS
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Balewind Vortex (40)
Gladewyrm (30)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 108
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400
   
 
Forum Index » AoS War Council
Go to: