Switch Theme:

Which Space Marine Legion would you most and least trust to protect rl Earth?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Basically assuming RL Earth was transported to 40k verse during GC era, which SM Legion would you most likely want to protect Earth and what Legion would you least like to protect Earth?
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User






Assuming they are loyalists,

Most likely: A toss-up of either Imperial Fists or White Scars (Token forces, however since they are way spread out).

Least likely: Dark Angels (Too preoccupied).

JD 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






Define protect ?

I think Salamanders would probably the best choice as they would minimise civilian casualties. Then probably ultras as they would try to protect people and infrastructure due to their logistics big picture vision and they would want us to be productive members of IOM asap.

I think IF would be the most likely to leave a garrison in a fortress to do actual protection or at least build us some defences before buggering off.

So its a toss up between Salamnders, IF or ultra marines.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




100% agree with Argive. Unless we're defending Earth against a very specific threat that happens to be susceptible to other legions' tactics.
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Basically against whatever threats loom in the galaxy. We'd also have to pay tithes to said legions. Can be manpower, goods, services, etc...
   
Made in pl
Rampaging Carnifex





Only Alpha Legion would protect us well. We would not even know if there were any threats out there
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Ultramarines hands down. They are the Legion that shows capability at handling a planet without immense slaughter while also rebuilding that world into something better.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Iron Warriors (pre-fall, at least) or Ultramarines. They are the only ones who actually improve things on their planets, all the other are idiots deliberately keeping population down to hellhole status because of some stupid strong barbarian fetish. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the others decided to try enacting their feral world brand of stupid here too.

Raven Guard might act a bit less stupid, but if they are serious about assassinating tyrants to free population, that's half of the world leaders dead after a week, including all nuclear countries. I can't see it ending well.

 Shadow Walker wrote:
Only Alpha Legion would protect us well. We would not even know if there were any threats out there

Yup, because we would have planet in literal anarchy, constant warfare for the last bits of food, and wholesale slaughter after civilization collapses because some bored jerk decided showing off his conspiracy skills by smashing everything (without a repair plan afterwards) might impress his buddies. Rob called them one of the most useless legions for a reason.
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

Ultramarines.

Largest numbers (for a Legion), most effective recruitment practices (so, even though we're giving up a tithe of children to become biological killing machines and stripping them of their humanity, they're at least not being wasted?), most likely to both reinforce and re-organise the society into something (hopefully) better than they found it, and even somewhat humanitarian. Plus, I'd say equally as tenacious as the Imperial Fists when it comes to defending their turf (see Calth).

Least likely? Night Lords, World Eaters, White Scars, Iron Hands or Alpha Legion. Night Lords would be literal tyrants, and what's left after their protection would probably be cowering in fear anyway. World Eaters? Bold to assume they'd be defending anything, or able to tell the difference between what they're fighting or protecting. White Scars are kinda flakey: yes, they showed up to Terra, but they're not exactly the stationary type. I get the idea that the White Scars would be more than happy to just go marauding and cruising around. Iron Hands? Not exactly the most compassionate bunch. Alpha Legion - sure, they'd probably get the job done, after mass destabilisation of the local governments, tonnes of damages, and no accountability.

Nah, give me Ultramarines any day.

Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Spoiler:
 Irbis wrote:
Iron Warriors (pre-fall, at least) or Ultramarines. They are the only ones who actually improve things on their planets, all the other are idiots deliberately keeping population down to hellhole status because of some stupid strong barbarian fetish. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the others decided to try enacting their feral world brand of stupid here too.

Raven Guard might act a bit less stupid, but if they are serious about assassinating tyrants to free population, that's half of the world leaders dead after a week, including all nuclear countries. I can't see it ending well.

 Shadow Walker wrote:
Only Alpha Legion would protect us well. We would not even know if there were any threats out there

Yup, because we would have planet in literal anarchy, constant warfare for the last bits of food, and wholesale slaughter after civilization collapses because some bored jerk decided showing off his conspiracy skills by smashing everything (without a repair plan afterwards) might impress his buddies. Rob called them one of the most useless legions for a reason.


The Iron Warriors didn't improve the worlds they conquered. They broke open fortresses, slaughtered everyone inside then built bigger fortresses and ruled through fear. Apart from the UM, the Fists, Blood Angels, Luna Wolves (specifically the Luna Wolves not the Sons of Horus), Emperor's Children, and maybe the Salamanders would be the ones to leave things in a better way than they found them.
Also, that Alpha Legion example is just following the terrible meme that exists. The Alpha Legion were very good at conquering worlds even before they met Alpharius and were used by the Emperor for assassinations, abductions, and even artifact recovery. Their fellow Legions only knew of them through rumours until Alpharius/Omegon were found. Not a good Legion to defend a planet but if they did it would be a war they knew they could win. Guilliman didn't like them because he was a massive jerk who viewed subterfuge as cowardly, much like many of his brothers.
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






Least I'd trust Nightlords Iron warriors and World Eaters..

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





I feel like trusting murderers/repressed psychopaths/very much outed psychopaths is a bad call to make. I'll take a Legion I know won't kill me for fun.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Gert wrote:
The Iron Warriors didn't improve the worlds they conquered. They broke open fortresses, slaughtered everyone inside then built bigger fortresses and ruled through fear. Apart from the UM, the Fists, Blood Angels, Luna Wolves (specifically the Luna Wolves not the Sons of Horus), Emperor's Children, and maybe the Salamanders would be the ones to leave things in a better way than they found them.

Wrong. This proves you know nothing about IW. Main body did this, sure, on Emperor's orders. Perturabo hated this. He wanted to be architect, scientist, city planner. You know, all skills that come in handy when you try to improve something. Rob was good leader, who could shine if he found good local talent, Perturabo while worse leader was perfect organizer and builder - seeing his captains took after him, IW officer would be perfect man to improve Earth science and infrastructure enormously in just a few years.

Blood Angels? What? The "Revenant" legion known for brutality and wholesale massacres? Maybe after Sanguinius was found, but even then, it took all his willpower to not revert back to shiny World Eaters. I wouldn't bet on isolated BA garrison doing the same. Fists and EC? No, just no. One look at planets of IF successors shows you all you need to know how "competent" they are at anything other than digging trenches (or copying World Eaters in BT case).

And I like how you say something about memes when the 'good' Salamanders is just idiotic meme by desperate 4chan people trying to upstage Ultramarines as best 'peace' legion. Salamanders were OK with leaving their home planet as hellhole even worse than Fenris (even thought they had technology to fix it) and they have horrible fire cult that burns 'undesirables' torturing them as they die horrific deaths ISIS style - they are even more unhinged than Word Bearers in some ways...

Also, that Alpha Legion example is just following the terrible meme that exists.

If it was a meme, Alpharius wouldn't be despised by literally every single loyal primarch as useless showoff who wasted time, effort, and war material to produce slower and worse results than even the likes of Night Lords. And I find it funny you accuse Rob of hating "subterfuge" when he sent a couple of UM chapters to accompany AL and put what few non-stupid tactics they had into Codex Astartes. RG was willing to give Alpharius benefit of the doubt multiple times, yet they proved him right no many times he tried as they just doubled down on stupid layered with dumb.

In the end, Guilliman knew Alpharius so well he smashed AL effortlessly aside when they had a real fight, which is all that needs to be said about their competence. Hell, even someone as inept and rigid as Dorn managed to beat AL on his first try!
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





The Alpharius showing off was one incident after years of his brothers hating him. You say the Night Lords were fast and yes they were because they would butcher entire planets for kicks. I'm not sure where you get your info but I'm feeling it's second or third hand from memes and Reddit threads. If the Alpha Legion were so incompetent how did they infiltrate Terra and nearly assassinate Guilliman, who only realised it wasn't his own men as they opened fire on him. The Alpha Legion's infiltrations were designed so that even a warrior from the same Legion they were infiltrating wouldn't know it was them.
As for Guilliman "smashing" them, here's what Lexicanum has to say on that:
Spoiler:
On the world of Eskrador, the Alpha Legion was assaulted by Ultramarine forces. Alpharius (or Omegon, who had since assumed his mantle since the Battle of Pluto[31]) was reportedly happy with such a development, as it allowed him to demonstrate the superiority of his flexible, multitudinous and unexpected military strategies on the notoriously precise, methodical and perhaps even moribund Ultramarines. However, the Alpha Legion Primarch was apparently taken by surprise when Roboute Guilliman departed from his own strictures and led a surprise assault by his elite units on the Alpha Legion headquarters. In the resulting personal combat between Alpharius-Omegon and Guilliman, it is believed that Alpharius-Omegon was killed. The Alpha Legion responded, not by breaking and fleeing as Guilliman expected, but by turning on the Ultramarine detachment and harrying them so mercilessly that by the time they had returned to the main body of the Ultramarine force their casualties were almost total. The Ultramarines were driven from the planet in the subsequent battle.

Yes. Very smashed indeed. I'm also sure the fact the Alpha Legion has been "destroyed" multiple times and yet still exists has nothing to with the fact they're masters of deceit.

As for the IW, Perturabo was a builder and architect but by no means was he a stable person. He accepted no failure and routinely used human auxiliaries as cannon fodder to range enemy guns or test defenses. It resulted in so much backlash from the Crusade forces that Horus had to send penal battalions so people wouldn't complain. He also ordered a decimation of Olympia when it rebelled, which they refused, so he sieged the planet and slowly burned its cities to prove a point. Then he murdered his adopted sister after she rightfully called him a monster.
You say the Fists and their successors are incompetent as well. Again for the Templars, all you seem to know is the memes, they aren't a chapter of raving maniacs and in the Heresy, the Fists 1st company under Sigismund was one of the best fighting forces the Loyalists had. The Templar's at Helsreach kept the city fighting for much longer than it should have done because their leader was a competent commander. The Fists defence of Terra wasn't perfect because Dorn didn't want to sacrifice the remaining beauty Terra had just to win a war.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/03/16 16:39:30


 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

Gert wrote:Also, that Alpha Legion example is just following the terrible meme that exists. The Alpha Legion were very good at conquering worlds even before they met Alpharius and were used by the Emperor for assassinations, abductions, and even artifact recovery. Their fellow Legions only knew of them through rumours until Alpharius/Omegon were found. Not a good Legion to defend a planet but if they did it would be a war they knew they could win. Guilliman didn't like them because he was a massive jerk who viewed subterfuge as cowardly, much like many of his brothers.
The Alpha Legion were pretty notorious for being unreliable and more than willing to accept collateral damages and destabilisation. They were good at conquering worlds, but not good at leaving them in a stable situation after they were finished - so they don't gain any points from me in a civilian defensive operation.

Also, Guilliman called them out not because of subterfuge. Remember, this is Roboute "Secret Police Vigil Opertii" Guilliman. This is Roboute "Pretty Good Friends with Asymmetrical Warfare Master Corax" Guilliman (a friendship that started with Corax winning the first simulated battle against Guilliman, and then Guilliman learning that Corax was all about asymmetrical warfare and thrashing him in the simulations afterwards).

No, Guilliman wasn't fussed by subterfuge. He was bothered by the massive destabilisation and lack of organisational support put in place by the AL, which I'd say is all the more important when we're talking about a defensive force.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/16 23:28:51


Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Ah, ok good to know. Still, though, I'd take destabilised government over half the planet skinned alive or turned into meat chunks.
   
Made in us
Raging-on-the-Inside Blood Angel Sergeant





Lawrenceville, New Jersey, USA

Ultramarines to protect it. I would not trust the Iron Hands as far as I can throw them.

Aig amannan tha e nas cudromaiche a bhith a ’seasamh an aghaidh olc!
(At times, standing against evil is more important than defeating it.)

Black Templars -
Deathskull Orks
Adeptus Mechanicus
Blood Angels
Genestealer Cult
1000 Sons  
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




The bloodangels might go insane, boredom + their dark blood lust could be disastrous..
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




bat702 wrote:
The bloodangels might go insane, boredom + their dark blood lust could be disastrous..


Bah. Check the vampire fandoms for the last 50 years. People would be into it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/03/17 03:03:54


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut





I'd trust the Raven Guard, Ultramarines or Salamanders to protect it best.

Trust the least? Probably the Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, (obvious reasons), Dark Angels (more important stuff to do at a critical time) and then the Minotaurs.
   
Made in us
Prophetic Blood Angel Librarian




You said 40k and GC in the same sentence. Has to be one or the other as they will give utterly different answers.
If GC I'd say Ultramarines purely because Guilliman redistributed the wealth of the insanely wealthy to the entire population, created a true meritocracy where everybody was looked after and hard work actually paid off, and executed the crazy selfish rich demagogues who were resisting the charge against inequality.
Something our world, particularly the West is in desperate need of.

40k probably Salamanders or Space Wolves (yes despite the Wulfen) - primarily because they both are known to have risked their own existence in standing against the inquisition in protecting civilian populations.
   
Made in pl
Rampaging Carnifex





 XeonDragon wrote:

Trust the least? Probably the Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, (obvious reasons) and then the Minotaurs.

None of them are Legions, see the OP
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: