Switch Theme:

Callidus Assassin - my first mini  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in dk
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries




Denmark

Hello people of the miniature world

I'm a beginner mini-painter from Denmark. And when I say beginner, I mean it literally, as this is my very first model ever.

I chose this model because.. well it's kickass ofcourse, but also because it's fairly straight forward as the colourscheme and details goes. And also because I wanted to paint something different - the females seems to be a little underrepresented in the WH40K universe. I aimed for a sort of assassin-meets-barbie, with blonde hair and a strawberry detail on the top, and different blue accents for the sword, goggles and gun-thingie. With the base I wanted to make her look light and lithe? Like she was jumping from rock to rock.

So this wasn't as easy as I had imagined/hoped, watching some Youtube tutorials. They make it seem so very very easy Quite the opposite! There's so many different techniques to get comfortable with, from the consistency of the paint, to highlighting, to gradients on the sword, witch I had to redo several times as my paints keep clumping together and being weird. I still have many questions unanswered

Looking back, the goggles ended up looking a little like eyes - that's a mistake. And there's a highlight.. below the belt, ahem, that kind of looks wrong.

But I hope you like it anyways, and please comment and give suggestions.











Some progress pictures
















This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/04/12 15:31:46


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

Kclement wrote:
And when I say beginner, I mean it literally, as this is my very first model ever.
You sure about that? Because DANG, that looks awesome!

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in dk
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries




Denmark

 JNAProductions wrote:
Kclement wrote:
And when I say beginner, I mean it literally, as this is my very first model ever.
You sure about that? Because DANG, that looks awesome!


Hi JNAProductions, thank you very much! I did plan it carefully, and I did watch a bunch of Youtube guides while waiting for my things to arrive. I'm afraid I have fallen down the rabbit hole now, as brushes, paints and new stuff keeps coming with the mail in a steady stream Half the fun is setting up the workspace no? Also, to be fair, a lot can be achieved with a good base, a dynamic pose and calm background with even lighting. If you take those things away the model has so many mistakes, squiggly highlights etc. I still cannot fathom how the painters on Youtube do it so precise.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/04/12 17:20:14


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

Kclement wrote:
 JNAProductions wrote:
Kclement wrote:
And when I say beginner, I mean it literally, as this is my very first model ever.
You sure about that? Because DANG, that looks awesome!


Hi JNAProductions, thank you very much! I did plan it carefully, and I did watch a bunch of Youtube guides while waiting for my things to arrive. I'm afraid I have fallen down the rabbit hole now, as brushes, paints and new stuff keeps coming with the mail in a steady stream Half the fun is setting up the workspace no? Also, to be fair, a lot can be achieved with a good base, a dynamic pose and calm background with even lighting. If you take those things away the model has so many mistakes, squiggly highlights etc. I still cannot fathom how the painters on Youtube do it so precise.
Same-difference is, my work ain't nearly as good as yours. (But then again, I'm more a gamer than a painter.)

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





Just to reiterate, this model looks great for a first attempt. To be honest it looks great full stop, even taking clever lighting and photography into account

The first attempts of many miniature painters (myself included) are pretty much a lesson in why it's important to thin your paints. Still, many of us didn't have the benefit of Youtube tutorials when we first started
   
Made in nz
Fresh-Faced New User






That's absolutely incredible for your first mini, i would say that's a excellent paint job for any miniature painter regardless if it's your first mini. Keep up the great work!.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/04/12 22:14:40


Thousand sons / Black Legion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctqa7kAdAvI 
   
Made in us
Master of the Hunt





Philadelphia

This has to be a troll post or you went to art school for a number of years or were successful in another medium prior to this.

Wonderful mini. As a first time mini how much $$$ did you spend on your initial tools and supplies or did you have a mentor?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/12 22:32:57


   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






I find it really hard to believe that's your first mini!
Because its that good!

Do you have some sort of art background ?
Only asking to make myself feel better...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/12 23:25:43


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





Looks good man!!!!! That synskin reminds me of the Catwoman.
   
Made in us
Basecoated Black





Tangentville, New Jersey

Waaaaay more impressive than my first mini. Probably way more impressive than my most recent mini

Can't wait to see what you paint next.


 
   
Made in dk
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries




Denmark

El Torro wrote:Just to reiterate, this model looks great for a first attempt. To be honest it looks great full stop, even taking clever lighting and photography into account

The first attempts of many miniature painters (myself included) are pretty much a lesson in why it's important to thin your paints. Still, many of us didn't have the benefit of Youtube tutorials when we first started


Thank you El Torro. For sure, I did a deep-dive into numerous tutorials, Squidmar, Miniac, just to name a few. It's both a curse and a blessing, as it can get very confusing what techniques to try out, but without them I would not have had a clue where to begin at all (like thinning down your paints, how to apply a primer, use corks from wine bottles with clips as holders etc. etc.).

Clouds wrote:That's absolutely incredible for your first mini, i would say that's a excellent paint job for any miniature painter regardless if it's your first mini. Keep up the great work!.


Thank you so much Clouds

Stevefamine wrote:This has to be a troll post or you went to art school for a number of years or were successful in another medium prior to this.

Wonderful mini. As a first time mini how much $$$ did you spend on your initial tools and supplies or did you have a mentor?


Hello Stevefamine. In a way you are correct, I'm a graphical designer by trade. Although purely digital these days. I'm not sure if that gives me an advantage, but I'm used to taking my time with new projects and not rush ahead, do my research etc. And being locked down due to the virus, I kind of needed a "analogue" project to throw myself into. My mentor was Youtube Although I WISH I had a real life one, watching videos can only take you so far.

Argive wrote:I find it really hard to believe that's your first mini!
Because its that good!

Do you have some sort of art background ?
Only asking to make myself feel better...


Thank you so much Argive

jdevita wrote:Looks good man!!!!! That synskin reminds me of the Catwoman.


Thank you jdevita

KidCthulhu wrote:Waaaaay more impressive than my first mini. Probably way more impressive than my most recent mini

Can't wait to see what you paint next.


Thank you very much KidCthulhu. It will be a squad of some kind, either some of the boys in Ultramarine-blue, or some of the Punk lasses from the gangs of Escher

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/04/13 15:50:07


 
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling Showcase
Go to: