Switch Theme:

Rate my Space Marines  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Hi all,

I posted several of these pics in my intro post, but will include here along with, well, all the other units in my chapter. As I've mentioned, I want each squad to be of a different chapter. My reasons for this are three-fold: I prefer the aesthetic of a 'rainbow coalition', I didn't want to get bored painting one hundred things all the same colour scheme, and I wanted to test myself with a variety of different styles and methods. So, some of my U-marines are undercoated white with a couple of coats of Drakenhof Nightshade while others I used a Macragge blue spraycan.

The Imperial Fists are my latest and IMO best work so far. I am more impressed with the Heavy Intercessors than the Assault Terminators. I used one method for them, a different one involving a contrast coat (just one this time) of Ianden yellow for the Intercessors, and a third slightly different method for Tor Garadon.

None of my units is finished as yet. I just keep buying more. But I reckon I'll finish the Fists first.
[Thumb - Imperial Fist Captain Tor Garadon progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 05.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 06.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 07.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 08.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 09.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 10.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers progress pic 11.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Assault Terminators progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Assault Terminators progress pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Assault Terminators progress pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Assault Terminators progress pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Assault Terminators progress pic 05.JPG]

[Thumb - Chernobog, the x 10 progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Chernobog, the x 10 progress pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Chernobog, the x 10 progress pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Chernobog, the x 10 progress pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 1 x Lieutenant 6 x Assault Intercessors 3 x Ultramarine Eradicators pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 6 x Assault Intercessors pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 6 x Assault Intercessors pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 6 x Assault Intercessors pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 6 x Assault Intercessors pic 05.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angels Final Five progress pic 01.jpg]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Eradicators progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Centurion Terminators, Eradicators & Intercessors squad with Lieutenant progress pic 04.JPG]


Abs  
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






Ottawa, ON

The technique for yellow is good. Gives everything a nice grimy look. But I think you're overusing it and leaving out some details. I'd recommend going back and painting in things like faces, armor joints and machined parts, like the lenses, in a different color. That will add some variety and differentiate the armor from the other materials.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/13 17:05:59


Ask yourself: have you rated a gallery image today? 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






 Mr Nobody wrote:
The technique for yellow is good. Gives everything a nice grimy look. But I think you're overusing it and leaving out some details. I'd recommend going back and painting in things like faces, armor joints and machined parts, like the lenses, in a different color. That will add some variety and differentiate the armor from the other materials.


If he's going for a normal look, I completely agree. However, I have to say the palette and style used remind me strongly of some classic artists like Vincent van Gogh and I honestly think that's really cool. Most people will probably look at it funny, and I certainly thought it a bit odd at first, but the more I looked at it the more it grew on me so to speak. It's very interesting and a full army in that style would look like a painting come to life in the strange way where you can still see the brush strokes, if you know what I mean. You could even make up a cool backstory for it; maybe it's actually a warp manifestation of the humanities unconscious perception of the Imperial Fists come to (unholy?) life in service of the Emperor, similar to one of the theories about the Legion of the Damned.
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Mr Nobody wrote:The technique for yellow is good. Gives everything a nice grimy look. But I think you're overusing it and leaving out some details. I'd recommend going back and painting in things like faces, armor joints and machined parts, like the lenses, in a different color. That will add some variety and differentiate the armor from the other materials.


Thanks for the info - and I think to some extent I took your advice pre-emptively. If you take a look at my '99% finished' Tor Garadon at the bottom, you'll see the disparity between the different yellows has been a bit dulled. I went over Tor (and all my Imp Fist heavy intercessors) with a final, thin coat of Ianden yellow, and it seems to have made it look more cohesive.


SergentSilver wrote:
 Mr Nobody wrote:
The technique for yellow is good. Gives everything a nice grimy look. But I think you're overusing it and leaving out some details. I'd recommend going back and painting in things like faces, armor joints and machined parts, like the lenses, in a different color. That will add some variety and differentiate the armor from the other materials.


If he's going for a normal look, I completely agree. However, I have to say the palette and style used remind me strongly of some classic artists like Vincent van Gogh and I honestly think that's really cool. Most people will probably look at it funny, and I certainly thought it a bit odd at first, but the more I looked at it the more it grew on me so to speak. It's very interesting and a full army in that style would look like a painting come to life in the strange way where you can still see the brush strokes, if you know what I mean. You could even make up a cool backstory for it; maybe it's actually a warp manifestation of the humanities unconscious perception of the Imperial Fists come to (unholy?) life in service of the Emperor, similar to one of the theories about the Legion of the Damned.


Thank you, this is quite a compliment! And you are the second person today to tell me it reminded them of an artist. The other person said John Blanche.

Abs  
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Tor Garadon 95% done!

I finished up around 3AM today before I crashed. I can see from the closeup pics that I need to clean up some lines, but save for a sealant, this one is finished, and will be indicative of what the rest of the heavy intercessors in this chapter-specific squad will look like.
[Thumb - Tor Garadon 95% done pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Tor Garadon 95% done pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Tor Garadon 95% done pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Tor Garadon 95% done pic 04.JPG]


Abs  
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

So here are my finished squad of Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers
[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 05.JPG]

[Thumb - Imperial Fist Heavy Intercessors with Lightning Claws and Thunder hammers FINISHED pic 06.JPG]


Abs  
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Well, the assault terminators have been binned. I followed the advice I received regarding using Dettol (worked great!) to strip the pain, but for some stupid reason I decided to sit them in real, real hot water afterwards to rinse them off. Ended up warping them badly enough to consider the squad destroyed :(

LOL that's ok. It was only nearly one hundred Australian dollars. Not nearly the amount I've lost on an average watch resale. But I digress...

My first squad of Dark Angel intercessors is now finished. I'm looking forward to finishing the Chernobog and Ultramarine squads in due course, at which time I'll have what I think should be a decent size army to actually start playing the game.
[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels 1st Squad + Imperial Fists 1st Squad pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad + Lieutenant pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad + Lieutenant pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad + Lieutenant pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Dark Angel 1st squad Assault Intercessors progress pic 05.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad Lieutenant pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad Lieutenant pic 02.JPG]

[Thumb - FINISHED Dark Angels the First Squad Lieutenant pic 03.JPG]


Abs  
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Wisconsin

I think they all look pretty good. The dark green looks messy, but intentionally so, like they've been out there fighting for millennia. The only thing missing is painting the eyes. I think you did a pretty good job with the eyes on your Bladeguard veteran. My only suggestion would be to put a little bit of wash in the recess around the eye to emphasize that panel line.

   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





I prefer the dark angels over the imperial fists. I would suggest painting the eyes of the assault Intercessors too like in the Bladeguard Veteran.

It’s worth noting, since you mentioned also planning to paint some ultramarines with the aim to make an army to play the game, mixing different chapters in the same army is unusual. If you want to play with a battleforged army then each detachment is from a single chapter, and by mixing chapters you miss out on a lot of synergies and army specific rules.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





I like the weathered look on the DA. I agree that wye lenses you make them look better but eye lenses are hard!

What paints are you using, I’m not sure if it’s the photo or not but the finish doesn’t look very smooth, which is one area I think would improve the look.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Did you use contrast paints?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/27 17:55:08


 
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

 ShadowsAndDust wrote:
I think they all look pretty good. The dark green looks messy, but intentionally so, like they've been out there fighting for millennia. The only thing missing is painting the eyes. I think you did a pretty good job with the eyes on your Bladeguard veteran. My only suggestion would be to put a little bit of wash in the recess around the eye to emphasize that panel line.

Thanks! Which wash would you use for this?
I freely admit that painting eyes - even the larger ones of the Primaris range - is daunting. I need to research techniques.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
mrFickle wrote:
I like the weathered look on the DA. I agree that wye lenses you make them look better but eye lenses are hard!

What paints are you using, I’m not sure if it’s the photo or not but the finish doesn’t look very smooth, which is one area I think would improve the look.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Did you use contrast paints?


If you are talking about the Imp Fists, I used much the same process that is detailed in my Tor Garadon thread, here:https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/799036.page

But the Dark Angels were a base coat of a basic British racing green spray paint from Bunnings. It was a gloss finish, so I then coated them in dark angel contrast green to dull it and darken the recesses. I think it came out pretty good.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Aash wrote:
It’s worth noting, since you mentioned also planning to paint some ultramarines with the aim to make an army to play the game, mixing different chapters in the same army is unusual. If you want to play with a battleforged army then each detachment is from a single chapter, and by mixing chapters you miss out on a lot of synergies and army specific rules.


Yeah, I've recently discovered there are a lot of rules that my army is not going to conform to. I paint and collect for the enjoyment of it. The game itself has always just looked like arcane math to me. It might be fun, maybe. I just like painting space marines coz they're cool.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/06/27 18:40:14


Abs  
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Wisconsin

I'd put a little Nuln Oil (or equivalent black wash) in the recess around the eye using a small brush. Don't worry much about hitting the eye. Most of the wash will just naturally migrate to the recess around the eye.

   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

 ShadowsAndDust wrote:
I'd put a little Nuln Oil (or equivalent black wash) in the recess around the eye using a small brush. Don't worry much about hitting the eye. Most of the wash will just naturally migrate to the recess around the eye.


OK, cool I have that, but curious that there's not a deep red wash or equivalent for this... I guess I should check out the GW paint section.

Abs  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Abaddon1 wrote:



Automatically Appended Next Post:
Aash wrote:
It’s worth noting, since you mentioned also planning to paint some ultramarines with the aim to make an army to play the game, mixing different chapters in the same army is unusual. If you want to play with a battleforged army then each detachment is from a single chapter, and by mixing chapters you miss out on a lot of synergies and army specific rules.


Yeah, I've recently discovered there are a lot of rules that my army is not going to conform to. I paint and collect for the enjoyment of it. The game itself has always just looked like arcane math to me. It might be fun, maybe. I just like painting space marines coz they're cool.


Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the implications for playing the game so you don’t get stung further down the line! The most important thing is to enjoy what you’re doing! Looking forward to seeing your ultramarines.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Abaddon1 wrote:
 ShadowsAndDust wrote:
I'd put a little Nuln Oil (or equivalent black wash) in the recess around the eye using a small brush. Don't worry much about hitting the eye. Most of the wash will just naturally migrate to the recess around the eye.


OK, cool I have that, but curious that there's not a deep red wash or equivalent for this... I guess I should check out the GW paint section.


If you’re looking for a red wash, I’d recommend Reikland Fleshshade. But for the eyes, a black wash like nuln oil as suggested above would be a good choice.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/06/28 04:03:11


 
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Aash wrote:
 Abaddon1 wrote:



Automatically Appended Next Post:
Aash wrote:
It’s worth noting, since you mentioned also planning to paint some ultramarines with the aim to make an army to play the game, mixing different chapters in the same army is unusual. If you want to play with a battleforged army then each detachment is from a single chapter, and by mixing chapters you miss out on a lot of synergies and army specific rules.


Yeah, I've recently discovered there are a lot of rules that my army is not going to conform to. I paint and collect for the enjoyment of it. The game itself has always just looked like arcane math to me. It might be fun, maybe. I just like painting space marines coz they're cool.


Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the implications for playing the game so you don’t get stung further down the line! The most important thing is to enjoy what you’re doing! Looking forward to seeing your ultramarines.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Abaddon1 wrote:
 ShadowsAndDust wrote:
I'd put a little Nuln Oil (or equivalent black wash) in the recess around the eye using a small brush. Don't worry much about hitting the eye. Most of the wash will just naturally migrate to the recess around the eye.


OK, cool I have that, but curious that there's not a deep red wash or equivalent for this... I guess I should check out the GW paint section.


If you’re looking for a red wash, I’d recommend Reikland Fleshshade. But for the eyes, a black wash like nuln oil as suggested above would be a good choice.


OK, great, thanks. I have that wash also, but can see how the nuln oil will provide a darker, more exact contrast.

Abs  
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

I have begun work on the Ultramarine squad.I am enjoying the challenges involved in creating the cleaner look of the Ultramarine space marine. Where other chapters typically have a less rigid attitude to rank, colours and coding, the Ultramarines pride themselves on close adherence to heraldry.
[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 00.JPG]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 01.JPG]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 03.JPG]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 04.JPG]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 05.jpg]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (with Lieutenant) progress pic 06.jpg]


Abs  
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Wisconsin

Looking pretty good so far.

   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

 ShadowsAndDust wrote:
Looking pretty good so far.

Thanks! This is a second attempt at getting the eyes right. I've usually left them be as I doubt my abilities, even with a tiny brush & USB telescope.

Abs  
   
Made in au
Dark Angels Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Perth Western Australia

Getting closer to what I think is a finished piece. I've taken a stab at colouring the eyes - only the second miniature I've tried in recent history to paint the eyes of - and I know I have several bits and pieces left to clean up (like the gold trim and white symbols on the shoulders, dry-brushing highlights to the gun holster & cleaning up the rim of the base), but I am wondering what things I've missed?

I really don't know if it would look better with a gold double crest on the torso... what other colours apart from white might finish this up nicely?

Thanks
[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (incl Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle) progress pic 07.jpg]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (incl Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle) progress pic 08.jpg]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (incl Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle) progress pic 09.jpg]

[Thumb - Ultramarine Terminator Centurions, Intercessors, Eradicators (incl Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle) progress pic 10.jpg]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/01 13:53:00


Abs  
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to: